Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #701
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm glad to see other helpful Forum members are helping out with ideas for a multiuse dowel. That community effort is what is at the heart of the Forum. One more useful idea—

A curved dowel could be used to keep shirt collars neat in the closet—that would be doweling for collars.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #702
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Rimshot!!!!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #703
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Or - how about dowels machined so one end is a screw top and can be screwed in to the back of your bathroom door. You unscrew them at the campsite to pop open your windows then screw them in the bathroom door as your towel dowels?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #704

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn has professed a possible interest in adding a recliner chair to New Lucy. we did some looking around here on the Forums and on-line generally. We have come up with a couple of possibilities, but are open to other suggestions.

We are looking at the Villa Lift Euro Recliner. This is the one that Airstream uses on their factory recliner option. We are also looking at the Lambright Lazy Relaxor Swivel Wall Hugger Recliner.

Our plan is to install only one recliner after removing the dinette bench closest to the door. We will leave the street side alone as the furnace is under that seat, and I do not particularly care for recliners.

We plan to leave the OEM dinette table intact. If necessary for clearance, we would consider taking several inches off the curb side of the table and re-edging it.

In Old Lucy, we did something similar. We removed all the seating by the door and the big speaker on the floor. We put a reclining desk chair in that space and used it that way for several years. We did not change the dinette table at all.

We think that this time we want to do something with a more finished look.

We would welcome any input from the group.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #705
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Cool!!!
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #706
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Brian - we did exactly that in our 27FB. The table was cut down at the Mothership on both sides so it is much thinner - bonus (for me as a musician) is the piano shape they got to accommodate the hinges on the wall without having to move those.

We LOVE this change. I'm not a full fan of the Villa Lift and wish I had tried before buying. It's good - but maybe a 7 out of 10 for me. Since I'm not living in the chair full time, it's good enough :-)

The functionality of what we did is what we love most. Let me know if you'd like to discuss more.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426012644.351689.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #707
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So that recliner is free standing?

Do you have to pull the recliner out a bit from the location in the photo to recline?

Is the door entrance obstructed when the recliner is in the position shown in the photo?

Did Airstream take cut down the table from only the recliner side?

Was the flooring under the curb side dinette left intact?

Not sure I could do this as easily with my Classic since it has the storage compartment next to the door.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #708
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Kelvin, you can remove the storage compartment as well as the bench seat. They are all one. The subwoofer is behind the drawer. Long ago I put a switch in the subwoofer wiring to turn it off, but all I really needed was to cut the wire because I've never turned it back on. The seat and drawer are screwed to the floor and you will have to fill the holes once your remove them. It is not very hard to remove it; when I replaced the floor, I just unscrewed them and put the assembly aside until I was finished. I removed the cushions and drawer first of course.

I think a recliner needs to be secured to the floor to keep it from banging into things. It is a fairly common modification. It will reduce how many people can eat together and eliminate the possibility of having anyone sleep there. Not for us—I built a new table and made it bigger for computers, iPad, food, plates, glasses (wearing and drinking), maps, books, box of tissues and all the other stuff we keep on a table. But a recliner would be very nice. You can have it all if you have a bigger trailer or have a Tardis.

Gene

Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #709

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Brian - we did exactly that in our 27FB. The table was cut down at the Mothership on both sides so it is much thinner - bonus (for me as a musician) is the piano shape they got to accommodate the hinges on the wall without having to move those.

We LOVE this change. I'm not a full fan of the Villa Lift and wish I had tried before buying. It's good - but maybe a 7 out of 10 for me. Since I'm not living in the chair full time, it's good enough :-)

The functionality of what we did is what we love most. Let me know if you'd like to discuss more.

Attachment 233980
Thank you much for the photo, Steve. That gives me a good starting point. When I'm done, I want it to look like yours. I really like the way you did the table to keep the original wall mount brackets. Why was it necessary to trim the table on the street side, or was that something that you wanted? How is your Villa attached to the floor or secured for travel?

Thank you also on the tip on the Villa chair. I plan to have SuEllyn sit in at least the Villa and the Lambright before making any final decision.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #710
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
KJRitchie - I'll answer each in the quote below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So that recliner is free standing?

-- yes

Do you have to pull the recliner out a bit from the location in the photo to recline?

-- no, but I could if I wanted to.

Is the door entrance obstructed when the recliner is in the position shown in the photo?

-- no.

Did Airstream take cut down the table from only the recliner side?

-- both sides. Since we're not using it for the drop down bed option, we just wanted it smaller all the way around but not so small we'd have to reposition the hinges on the wall.

Was the flooring under the curb side dinette left intact?

-- yes. The original furniture screwed in to the floor. I believe they used some filler in the holes.

Not sure I could do this as easily with my Classic since it has the storage compartment next to the door.

-- the storage under the couch? It's all the same furniture (if the same as our Flying Cloud). We had no problem with it.

Kelvin
Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #711
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Brian - I'll answer in the quote below (wish I knew how to edit better in the mobile app...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thank you much for the photo, Steve.

-- you're welcome

That gives me a good starting point. When I'm done, I want it to look like yours. I really like the way you did the table to keep the original wall mount brackets. Why was it necessary to trim the table on the street side, or was that something that you wanted?

-- it's a really big table to accommodate the bed you can have there for guests. Since we have a pullout bed option for the street side couch and don't envision needing more than that, we wanted the table to be smaller overall. I don't remember exactly, but I believe he took about 4" off street side in a straight line (well, still following the face curve) and about 8" off curb side in that eventual curve in the rear that keeps the original hinges in tact and gives us that piano look (which still makes me smile when I look at it). The curb side cut was essential for comfort while in the chair. The street side helped make it smaller overall and frankly - I'm a big guy - if I nap on that street side couch, the extra few inches helps :-)

How is your Villa attached to the floor or secured for travel?

-- this was all done at Jackson Center (including cutting down and re-laminating the table). They used the floor cleat they use on the 30' Classic where these Villa recliners are used (note - I bought mine direct and had it shipped to Airstream - before any cutting was done, they hand fit everything and interpreted our goals PERFECTLY). They also moved the subwoofer about a foot closer to street side - just a matter of unscrewing it from the floor and pulling the cable forward.

Thank you also on the tip on the Villa chair. I plan to have SuEllyn sit in at least the Villa and the Lambright before making any final decision.

-- highly recommended. Does the Lambright have a round foot/base like the Villa? If so, the cleat might work. I think (but am not sure) if we didn't have the cleat, just putting the base on some of that tacky rubber carpet backing would probably hold it in place during travel. Can't be sure about that. But the cleat has some screw knobs that hold the chair in place and if I want to move it, I can just unscrew the cleat and move it. I've never done it because it hasn't been necessary for reclining.

Brian
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #712
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
When you pull out the bench seat, drawer and subwoofer, why not pull up the very thin vinyl, coat the subfloor with exterior spar urethane and put a new floor in? We left the vinyl in the bathroom which saved a lot of labor (pulling the toilet; cutting around it would not look good), and the rest was pretty straightforward.

Gene

Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #713

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
When you pull out the bench seat, drawer and subwoofer, why not pull up the very thin vinyl, coat the subfloor with exterior spar urethane and put a new floor in? We left the vinyl in the bathroom which saved a lot of labor (pulling the toilet; cutting around it would not look good), and the rest was pretty straightforward.

Gene
That sounds good, Gene. Why not pull up the vinyl, coat the subfloor, and put the vinyl back down?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 AM   #714
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
Why do you think you need to coat/seal the subfloor on a brand new model?

Is the subfloor rot issue that serious?

Should be properly addressed in the assembly process one would think?
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #715
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Preventative maintenance. If the opportunity Is there go for it. Peace jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #716
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426090384.008883.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	234019

Excuse the lived in look, but we're living in it. After knocking over a couple of glasses of red wine entering and exiting our dinette, (and we're thin people) we decided a narrower table was needed. Instead of cutting down our table we ordered a matching Bambi table from Airstream. It is 9 inches narrower and came with all hardware. So it was ready to hang on the wall. We did replace the cheesy aluminum stick leg with a turned wooden one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #717
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Anybody seen this 25' yet?

Airstream Adventures Northwest
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #718
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
When you pull out the bench seat, drawer and subwoofer, why not pull up the very thin vinyl, coat the subfloor with exterior spar urethane and put a new floor in?
Gene
But you can't seal the edges under the shell or are they already sealed at the factory?
Or should you drill small holes and fill with a material that wicks into the wood at the edges?
Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #719

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Attachment 234019

Excuse the lived in look, but we're living in it. After knocking over a couple of glasses of red wine entering and exiting our dinette, (and we're thin people) we decided a narrower table was needed. Instead of cutting down our table we ordered a matching Bambi table from Airstream. It is 9 inches narrower and came with all hardware. So it was ready to hang on the wall. We did replace the cheesy aluminum stick leg with a turned wooden one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Thanks for that idea. That may be an easy way to provide enough clearance for recliner.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #720

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Anybody seen this 25' yet?

Airstream Adventures Northwest

That's really cool. Thanks for the link. I went on their website and noticed that they have a similar conversion called the "office model" with a desk.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)