Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
2014 Flying Cloud 20'FB Questions About Running Lights "Blinking"

We're packed, hitched & ready to launch our inaugural shake down this weekend!
This is our first operations w/o the team of Colonial team experts guiding every step instructing the details & nuances of operations. We hooked up the Tourareg Sport to our 20 AS FC with 7 pin hitch pin and immediately the four running lights came on and continued to blink intermittently somewhat like strobe lights. System check for all around functions with signals, brake lights &'back up lights working as they should. Our concern was the "blinking running lights" could find no mention in manual or newbie book to assess is this expected? Or is the an indication of connection issue?
We are hoping to head out on our first adventure early afternoon. Please if you have a similar model & can offer additional information is this normal function or do we have an issue? When we disconnected the 7 pin connector everything stopped. We just do not remember the flashing lights when we picked her up 6/6/14. Read & re-read manual, and newbie book....no subject noted.
We really how to leave as planned tomorrow....any thoughts from seasoned airstreamers?

Thanks much.....
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It sounds like you have a short or a bad connection. Unplug the connector and inspect the contacts for any smashed in copper or bent ends. One of my male connector blades was pressed almost flat and kept mine from staying during my first voyage home. Check for any obstructions in the plug end and on the truck receiver end.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
They should not be blinking like a strobe light, ever. No such problem on my 2014 20' FC. The only thing I can offer is to plug and unplug the cord from the TV several times. Often that wipes the contacts and makes things work right.

I seem to recall that some of the German electrical systems don't always play well with trailer connections, but you think it was OK when you first got it, so that should have been worked out to begin with.

In re reading your post, you say "the four running lights". That confuses me now, do you mean the marker lights on the trailer sides and top, or the rear lights? Or all lights, side and top and rear? The rear tail lights should be connected to the same circuit and wires as the side marker lights and if one is working right, and the others are not, there must be some AS issue in connections.

I hope it does not spoil your first trip out.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
2014 Flying Cloud 20'FB Questions About Running Lights "Blinking"

Just for clarification....the four lights located in four corners both sides(see pic below).Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403259150.437758.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	214551
All lights function appropriately when tested with this hook up including: turn signals, brake lights, backup lights & four way flashers. We did not notice if these four yellow lights in the corners each side were flashing during first hitch at dealer as it was clear sunny day & the intermittent flashing is very minimal so could have missed easily. however, last evening, it was nearly dark till when we were hitching up in preparation for our weekend trip today.

The flashing seemed to dissipate when trailer pulled forward for testing brakes & lights.
May be normal but cannot find any description in any of our manuals.
Thanks for any help or support!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No, it is not normal. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order, for warrantee work.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Sounds like a known issue. The one I read about is with LED marker lights, which I presume yours are, and when the vehicle key is off. The vehicle anti-theft system is designed to monitor the circuit which includes the trailer, and sends a pulse at regular intervals. LED lights do not have the same current draw as incandescent bulbs do so they flash (the strobe effect). You will notice that the flash is at the same frequency as the anti-theft light in the vehicle cabin. The solution is a simple Volkswagen adaptor plug that goes between the vehicle electrical socket and the trailer plug, in series. It includes a small resistor so that the security system sees a load more like what it expects.

If you can't get the adaptor in time, you shouldn't see the flashing while the key is on, and you can unplug the trailer when you are at camp.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
JCL...you are the MAN!
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Sounds like a known issue. The one I read about is with LED marker lights, which I presume yours are, and when the vehicle key is off. The vehicle anti-theft system is designed to monitor the circuit which includes the trailer, and sends a pulse at regular intervals. LED lights do not have the same current draw as incandescent bulbs do so they flash (the strobe effect). You will notice that the flash is at the same frequency as the anti-theft light in the vehicle cabin. The solution is a simple Volkswagen adaptor plug that goes between the vehicle electrical socket and the trailer plug, in series. It includes a small resistor so that the security system sees a load more like what it expects.

If you can't get the adaptor in time, you shouldn't see the flashing while the key is on, and you can unplug the trailer when you are at camp.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Yes, thank you we did find this info about the marker lights prior to our departure & will look into the adaptor. These VW's are so smart ....our automatic cargo door senses the Flying Cloud when hitched & not sure it's safe to open.

Coincidently, at time of take off Friday....the blinking did not reoccur.
Towed "light as a cloud"on first shake down on highway & very windy country roads.

Jeff, where would we purchase the special adapter plug? Do you have specs on the adaptor?

Thanks so much,
FCloud9
Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You may not find that plug. The dealer wired in a set of actual bulbs in line with the LEDs under the bed of our 25FB International Serenity as our Mercedes did not "see" the LED brake lights.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
If you wire in bulbs or resistors you won't need an adaptor, but it seems easier to me to use an adaptor. Etrailer has them for $19 or so, and Curt lists them. I believe the VW dealers carry them. There are various versions depending on plug configuration.

It isn't just a VW issue. Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all use the same trailer wiring electronics from companies like Siemens, Continental, and Bosch. They respond similarly.

Here is one link

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote