Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonanea View Post

Also, a gas/electric water heater? Is this in the 50amp models only? I have a 30amp SOB with a gas/electric water heater and it works fine as long as I'm not not trying to run the microwave and A/C along with it. I suppose this is the reason AS hasn't put them in the 30amp units?
Gas/electric water heaters apparently are only offered as standard equipment on the Classic Limited models - both 30 amp and 50 amp units.

I am not sure if gas/electric water heaters can be added to special ordered Flying Clouds or Internationals.

I would recommend spending some time on Colonial Airstream's website to check out the specs on the various models.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
The original post (18driver) indicated they went to purchase a 2011 27FB INTL but got a 2012 instead. I'm assuming it is also an INTL. The new items for 2012 he lists include the gas/electric water heater. So that's why I'm curious. I went directly to Sutton RV and Colonial to nose around. The only 2012 at Colonial is an Eddie Bauer and it does not list dimmable LEDs or a combo water heater. Methinks maybe it's really a 2011 "and a half" model. I keep telling myself, patience . . . patience.

Now I think I'll go look some more.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonanea View Post
The original post (18driver) indicated they went to purchase a 2011 27FB INTL but got a 2012 instead. I'm assuming it is also an INTL. The new items for 2012 he lists include the gas/electric water heater. So that's why I'm curious. I went directly to Sutton RV and Colonial to nose around. The only 2012 at Colonial is an Eddie Bauer and it does not list dimmable LEDs or a combo water heater. Methinks maybe it's really a 2011 "and a half" model. I keep telling myself, patience . . . patience.

Now I think I'll go look some more.
We bought the 2011 1/2 27fb INTL. Didn't want to wait 3 months for the new. It is unclear how the situation in Japan will effect wait time. I didn't ask the dealer. Plus deals are very good now. Couldn't get the same deal on an order. The lead dimmer can be retrofitted. We are having that done. But, if you can wait, the upgrades maybe worth it.
Jay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Our 2010 Flying Cloud has an electric and gas water heater.

We upgraded the lights to LED. The dimmer switch sounds pretty cool.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Hitch update.............We picked our new Intl 27fb yesterday. The ProPride was a thing of beauty! It was the dealers first install of the hitch and they appeared to have done a great job. Rides great, but I'm thinking it may still need some tunning. Couple of big rigs passed us up, and we felt nothing, no sway, nothing. Going on the road next Tuesday, can't wait!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay53 View Post
Cuddle up, I did! This is a topic with no shortage of opinions. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There is one topic, for more research. The new Ford Super Duty's have sway control built in to the trailering system, utilizing sway sensors, engine throttle and braking adjustments to detect and control sway. I need to find a sole with a new Super Duty and get some feedback on their towing experience.

Thanks to all for your input.

Jay
Just to help ya know you made the right choice, 2011 F-350 Super Duty - ProPride, not even an option for me.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Hitch update.............We picked our new Intl 27fb yesterday. The ProPride was a thing of beauty! It was the dealers first install of the hitch and they appeared to have done a great job. Rides great, but I'm thinking it may still need some tunning. Couple of big rigs passed us up, and we felt nothing, no sway, nothing. Going on the road next Tuesday, can't wait!
Jay,
How was the delivery process with BT - were you pleased? Jack called me Thursday and said my new one had arrived from the factory. We will pick it up in a couple weeks. My salesperson was kind enough to do a walk thru video and send it to me yesterday. I bet I've watched it a dozen times .

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get the impression that they had much if any experience with PP. Glad you gave them some experience with it.

Post pics!

-Chris
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #48
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:

Happy to hear, Jay. Let me know if you need anything. I think WE were a day late getting it to Bill Thomas so I apologize for that.

We installed one on a 27 yesterday. Tow vehicle is a diesel Touareg. I couldn't even feel it behind us on the test drive. Check out the ProPride | Facebook page for pictures of that rig if you're interested.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Jay,
How was the delivery process with BT - were you pleased? Jack called me Thursday and said my new one had arrived from the factory. We will pick it up in a couple weeks. My salesperson was kind enough to do a walk thru video and send it to me yesterday. I bet I've watched it a dozen times .

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get the impression that they had much if any experience with PP. Glad you gave them some experience with it.

Post pics!

-Chris
Delivery process went very well. The tech gave us a complete walk through, inside and out. My wife went home and I stayed the night on the lot. They were happy to accommodate. I highly recommend at least one nights stay, just to do a thorough check of everything before driving off the lot. I did find some glitches from the factory. Some were fixed the next day, other fixes are waiting for parts.

Glen Thomas is clearly a veteran Streamer. Very knowledgeable. Re the PP, he said there were some definite differences he like over the Hensley.

Glen gave me a towing lesson, and my salesman tried his best on backup instruction. I admit to being a bit "freaked" about the prospect of backing up into my skinny driveway. A glass of wine and a bit of reflection was all I needed! Done! We are packing for Tuesdays trip.

Photos coming once we get to a destination prettier than our driveway.

No regrets!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
I did find some glitches from the factory. Some were fixed the next day, other fixes are waiting for parts.
Jay,
Good to hear that you had a good experience. Would you mind sharing with us the nature of some of these glitches?

-Chris
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Happy to hear, Jay. Let me know if you need anything. I think WE were a day late getting it to Bill Thomas so I apologize for that.

We installed one on a 27 yesterday. Tow vehicle is a diesel Touareg. I couldn't even feel it behind us on the test drive. Check out the ProPride | Facebook page for pictures of that rig if you're interested.
Hey Sean,

Thanks for checking in...........no problem on the day late. All seems well with the hitch.........any recommendations on how to keep it looking new?,

Day of reckoning is tomorrow when I try and hitch up on my un-level driveway.
Camper is fairly level, but the Ford will be leaning down to the curb entrance.
The unhitch was a bit sloppy on my part, but I did get it done. So I should be able to re-hitch! Will be adjusting the receiver angle to better accept the stinger. If I run into trouble I will call for help
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Jay,
Good to hear that you had a good experience. Would you mind sharing with us the nature of some of these glitches?

-Chris
Sure,

One slightly dented inside panel............I'm a bit picky about that stuff. The lift pistons under the bed froze in the UP position just last night. Had to unscrew them. One window did not stay open in the first lift position, that seemed to be an alignment problem. Inside the overhead cabinet, bottom plastic liner was warped....they think it was cut too large. Nothing that kept me from driving it off the lot......my wife just noticed some bubbling in the floor linoleum. Several small dimples in the cabinet laminate, I let that go.

One issue appears to be consistent with all 25's and 27's that we saw. There is slider under the lounge that extends it to a bed. The cushion that is supposed to fit in that channel, is too wide, and there is nothing to keep it from sliding off the extension and onto the floor. That issue supposedly back with Airstream. It's only a problem if you move when you sleep!

Overall, the dealer experience was very good. The fit and finish of the rig was just a bit off the mark.

Cheers...........
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
2012 25 FB Flying Cloud

We also started out looking for a 2011 not even knowing the 2012 model was available. We ended up with the 2012 bought USED from a dealer in Michigan. A lady had bought it and thought she was getting a MH, titled it and everything. We made a great deal on a unit we normally couldn't have afforded. Have fun we intend to.

Best,
Dan
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Hello, what vehicle will you be using to tow your new 27' International? We are about to purchase a 27' FB Serenity but, getting conflicting reports on our tow vehicle's capabilities. Thanks and congratulations. Anna
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
We drive an F350. It might be a bit much for 27'. We already upgraded to the 30' Serenity, and I'm glad we chose the Ford heavy duty. Whatever you are considering,
look at the vehicle load capacities. Our F350 has about 3,000 lbs load capacity including people, gas, bed load and hitch load. With a safety margin of about 20%, I feel pretty comfortable...........probably would not go below a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Jay . . . , the F350 gives you no "safety" margin, only a load margin.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Doug, Thanks for making the distinction. I considered the F350 for its "load margin". I was motivated primarily by safety.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Jay, nothing against your truck choice for your own reasons.

I am concerned when it is repeatedly suggested in the forums that oversized pickups provide an additional measure of safety. In some situations this may be true. But they do not handle well in emergency maneuvers because of high center of gravity and solid axle truck suspensions. Because of the heavy weight and cab design, the passenger roof is susceptible to collapse if a rollover should occur.

My only point is bigger may not add safety benefits.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum

I am concerned when it is repeatedly suggested in the forums that oversized pickups provide an additional measure of safety. In some situations this may be true. But they do not handle well in emergency maneuvers because of high center of gravity and solid axle truck suspensions. Because of the heavy weight and cab design, the passenger roof is susceptible to collapse if a rollover should occur.

doug k
I recognize this is a endless debate but I'll throw my 3 cents in....we bought our 28 Serenity with the full intent of "downsizing" from the Dodge 3500 to a large SUV, F150 Ecoboost or Tundra but the six letter word "Margin" kept ringing in my ears. Everyone needs or decide which safety margins (load capacity, long steep hills, braking, abrupt lane change, etc) are critical to them. That said, we will have our grandchildren with us occasionally and we are sticking with the 3500. In our case "bigger" is better plus my wife is already eyeing a 30 FC .....
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
Your opinions about truck safety are noted, but not shared. I have towed a 30 footer for 10,000 miles in all sorts of terrain. At that pin weight and total load you are exceeding the rated load weight of most if not all 1/2 tons and some 3/4 tons.............that is the most dangerous factor of all to me. It shows up in decent braking, sway control etc. Perhaps your concern is appropriate, are you an automotive engineer, or do have expertise in the matter? Otherwise I will stick to reading the sticker on door which states any load exceeding the listed load limits are dangerous and can result in vehicle malfunction.

Tags
2012 27fb intl, 2012 international