Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Not the same as all-metal stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
So it turns out our tires do have metal stems with the rubber connection point. So, given that news, is it safe to get the pass through sensors, or is it still safer to stick with the cap style?
Our Airstream also came with metal/rubber stems. Per TST’s claim, you can use cap sensors on them but if you go to flow-thru you need all metal stems.

After one trip I noticed black marks on my wheels where the cap sensors were rubbing. I had Discount Tire install the Dill all metal stems and balance with the cap sensors installed. No more problems! Your mileage may vary…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B22CC68-502C-4079-AA2E-F4FE8705D19F.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	417770   Click image for larger version

Name:	92866771-5991-4D03-8F1F-303D759D3E86.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	417771  

Name:	8FB51411-CDB6-4CA2-A92E-65A01970B0D2.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	417772  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Our Airstream also came with metal/rubber stems. Per TST’s claim, you can use cap sensors on them but if you go to flow-thru you need all metal stems.

After one trip I noticed black marks on my wheels where the cap sensors were rubbing. I had Discount Tire install the Dill all metal stems and balance with the cap sensors installed. No more problems! Your mileage may vary…

I would love to see where TST makes these recommendations, because I can't find them get specific anywhere other than saying use "metal valve stems" for the flow through and the cap sensors can be used on "rubber stems."

Given what folks have said here, I may stick with the cap style.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż , California
Those TST caps look bigger than the Tireminder caps. Maybe that is an issue as far as weight, etc.?
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:44 AM   #44
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Those TST caps look bigger than the Tireminder caps. Maybe that is an issue as far as weight, etc.?
I was thinking the same thing. Wonder how the actual weight compares?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
According to the TST manual, their cap sensors are .54 oz.

I don’t think it’s the weight, more the deflection causing the larger cap size hit the wheel before the Tire Minder sensors. I’ll bet the TM ones are bending the rubber stems just as much. Just an guess…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	72EB8EED-C257-46E2-A945-66EAD8AF9E8A.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	417791  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I bought TPMS flow thru sensors when I installed new tires before a long trip a couple months ago. I supplied metal stems but the shop didn't use them, installed rubber. I didn't notice until installing the sensors the day before departure. The stem stuck through the hubcap snugly, so I made the decision to go with it as they would be supported by the hubcap.

Worked fine until the hubcap came off, pulling the valve stem out with it
Thanks for posting this. I was replacing my rubber stems with the Dills and forgot to replace the hub cap. I noticed that the cap is not snugged down when wheels are torqued. I don’t like anything that rattles, especially when it involves moving parts like wheels!
So, I did this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BB0C040E-3ED8-4A45-91B1-2F7F775CF551.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	417793  
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve got the EezTire system with their second generation, smaller TPMS sensors. I originally installed them on the OE valve stems, which were the type with a metal barrel and a rubber “bulb” at the bottom. The stems seemed very stiff, so I thought I’d be fine. After a few trips, I noticed black rub marks on all four wheels. I decided to have the valve stems replaced with Dill 902-W stems. When my old stems were removed, the tire tech showed me where two of the four had already cracked due to the stresses from bending. They weren’t leaking yet, but it wasn’t going to be long.

The owner’s manual for the EezTire system doesn’t offer much clarity. It states the following: “Some valve stem extensions may cause inaccurate readings if they do not allow the sensor to operate correctly, metal bodied stems or T-Valve type are recommended for best performance.”

In the photo you can see my Dill stem installed, plus the rub mark left by the old stem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	928D330A-93C6-4CFE-A3F2-2C60063FE8CA.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	417810  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
According to the TST manual, their cap sensors are .54 oz.

I don’t think it’s the weight, more the deflection causing the larger cap size hit the wheel before the Tire Minder sensors. I’ll bet the TM ones are bending the rubber stems just as much. Just an guess…
I have used the TM non-flow through caps for over 1k miles and have zero marks on rubber stems (soon to be replaced with metal).

TM says .5 oz for each even though they look lighter/smaller than the TSTs:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 8.40.34 AM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	417816  
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I’ve got the EezTire system with their second generation, smaller TPMS sensors. I originally installed them on the OE valve stems, which were the type with a metal barrel and a rubber “bulb” at the bottom. The stems seemed very stiff, so I thought I’d be fine. After a few trips, I noticed black rub marks on all four wheels. I decided to have the valve stems replaced with Dill 902-W stems. When my old stems were removed, the tire tech showed me where two of the four had already cracked due to the stresses from bending. They weren’t leaking yet, but it wasn’t going to be long.

The owner’s manual for the EezTire system doesn’t offer much clarity. It states the following: “Some valve stem extensions may cause inaccurate readings if they do not allow the sensor to operate correctly, metal bodied stems or T-Valve type are recommended for best performance.”

In the photo you can see my Dill stem installed, plus the rub mark left by the old stem.
Dennis,
Your post is great information as it shows that even if you are not having a leak issue it may be just a matter of time. This should serve as a warning to those who say they have no issues with rubber base valve stems. I really think EezTire and TST need to change their recommendation but maybe they are afraid it will cost them sales if one does and the other does not. After my rubber base valve stem leak I went to all metal bolt on as it seams silly to have a TPMS system that can cause a leak to occur. Thanks for sharing.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
So it turns out our tires do have metal stems with the rubber connection point. So, given that news, is it safe to get the pass through sensors, or is it still safer to stick with the cap style?
I can't comment on the difference. I use the transmitter caps. going on third year with this set of batteries with no issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
I have used the TM non-flow through caps for over 1k miles and have zero marks on rubber stems (soon to be replaced with metal).

TM says .5 oz for each even though they look lighter/smaller than the TSTs:
I was using the TMs with rubber stems. Clear marks after only a few trips. Switched to metal valves.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Winter Park , Florida
Colby Valves

Hello all, reviving this thread because I recently purchased the Tire Minder TPMS for our 2021 Flying Cloud 27FBT. I've read the threads on metal stems and see the recommendations for Dill, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the Colby Ultimate or Colby Permanent valve stems? If so, which did you install?

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/products/permanent-valve-2-pack

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/products/ultimate-valve-system

These look pretty easy to install at home versus the Dill which go to the shop for installation.

Thanks for any feedback.
NickWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:31 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
You don’t need to go to the shop to install the Dills. I torqued mine to 40 psi while at Discount tire near me. I kept mine dry in order to get the stem to stay put while torquing them down. My first attempt was with a very light application of anti-seize. They were so slippery, I had to take it off, clean the anti-seize off and then try again.
Easy-peazy.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Winter Park , Florida
I'm in the group of folks who definitely get more benefits from the forum than I give...so thanks for the feedback.

I have no experince working on tires but like working on the my Airstream as much as my limited but growing skill allows.

From what I can tell, the Dills requiring removing the tire, breaking the bead, and installing from the inside. The Colbys though look like they can be installed from the outside with the rim still attached.

I might be willing to try the latter, but the former would require me to detach each tire and take them in because it is beyond my comfort level.

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:47 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArstrmComTru View Post
Hello all, reviving this thread because I recently purchased the Tire Minder TPMS for our 2021 Flying Cloud 27FBT. I've read the threads on metal stems and see the recommendations for Dill, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the Colby Ultimate or Colby Permanent valve stems? If so, which did you install?

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/pr...t-valve-2-pack

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/pr...e-valve-system

These look pretty easy to install at home versus the Dill which go to the shop for installation.

Thanks for any feedback.
They do have a metal base mount so I would think they would work fine. Kinda expensive though. Going through discount tire the Dill 902-W is cheap and they will put them on for free. Thanks for the info and keep us posted if you decide to try the Colby's.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/pr...t-valve-2-pack

https://colby-valve.myshopify.com/pr...e-valve-system

Thanks for any feedback.
They look interesting, I don't know if the short ones will be far enough out to fit the TPMS on them, need to check clearance needed for the longer ones fitting also. If the short ones would work I think you would be better off getting the aluminum ones to match your aluminum rims.
https://locknlube.com/products/copy-...b02f7fb9ecf306
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I am getting new tires put on in the next month. Waiting for the weather to warm a bit. I have the sensors on the outside, and I am going to put metal stems on. After doing some reading the key is to get stems that don’t corrode. That will also cause leaks. So for those with metal stems do you get aluminum or stainless steal?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Winter Park , Florida
WAZBRO, Great find on the aluminum. My transmitters match to brass, which is why i was thinking the brass stems....to avoid any concern for corrosion binding, especially because I'm in Florda. I'd welcome thoughts from the field on that, too.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
WAZBRO, Great find on the aluminum. My transmitters match to brass, which is why i was thinking the brass stems....to avoid any concern for corrosion binding, especially because I'm in Florda. I'd welcome thoughts from the field on that, too.
I was just thinking about the rims when I suggested the aluminum ones, it looks like there is a rubber gasket between the rim and valve so it shouldn't really matter. Might be more important to worry about the other end, also you might need the longer ones anyway.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:05 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Gee; not sure about the cost/hassle/benefit vs others like TPMS, which many of us use. I still am not convinced about the "screw on caps" being an issue with rubber/steal valve steams. I have not (knock on wood) had any issues with mine now over 3 sets of tires (Endurance). I have the screw on transmitters with a repeater attached to the A frame. I did replace the batteries the first year I had them after reading here on the Forum recommendation's, even though mine were still working/transmitting fine. This currant set of batteries has lasted me now 3 years...and I do travel 15-18K miles each summer. I am watching the rubber/steal valve steams which is all I have had since I got my TPMS/TST system...no issues/leaks that I can see. I will replace my batteries before heading to WY end of May, but as I said...call me lucky or are we worrying about a problem that does not exist with the rubber/steal valve steams and replacing batteries too early?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote