Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Camas , Washington
Organizational or Storage 'Musts'

Hello all! My boyfriend and I just bought our first Airstream, a 27' Signature International. Or do you just call it the International? I have no idea, I'm sure someone will correct me!

Anyway, we just took posession of it yesterday. I am unfortunately away for work and won't be back til later this week, so the man-child (boyfriend) has it all to himself for the next couple of days. Neither one of us has ever owned a trailer before but in our line of work it seemed the best option, rather than living out of hotels. Because space and organization is such an issue, especially when transitioning into a trailer for the first time, I thought I'd check with everyone here to see what they thought the absolute MUST-HAVE's would be in terms of storage or organization. I know that a trip to the Container Store will be one of the first things I do when I get back. But I also know that I don't need or want to spend an arm and a leg to have the space I need (I already did that by purchasing the AS!).

So, what things can I not live without as far as storage and organization are concerned in my AS? Thanks so much for your suggestions!
SillyRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello and welcome to Airforums, Rosie! Lots to read here and even more things to ask about

Let me suggest to you that you take a moment to read through the Community Rules in order to ensure that you get the most out of the time you spend on here. I say this because you (probably inadvertently) broke one of our few and simple rules: one question in one Forum only. I took the liberty of deleting the other version of this you had posted.

You will see that when the members "land" here after logging on, they see all the latest posts no matter where they are posted. All new posts spend some time in the "Portal" forum, you see.

Enjoy your new trailer, and post some photos as soon as you can. We LOVE photos!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stop in the name of love...

before you break the bank.

(You're too young to remember the Supremes, right?)

Nonetheless, it's virtually impossible to get it right the first time. First, what is "right" from my list might be totally unimportant from yours. Second, there is SO much neat stuff for sale, you're almost certain to spend way too much for things that six months from now are just a pain in the podex, and finally because you're a couple - and YOU are going to have to negotiate rather than just do what you want. Keep it spare the first time out. Buy from thrift shops, for guilt free throw away/give aways later. Let experience guide you and buy gradually. Camping World is NOT your friend, they're in love with your wallet, nothing else.

Draw a plan that makes sense to you of generally what will go into each closet, overhead, and underbed storage, put heavy stuff near the floor, put ease of getting it back out and frequency of need high on your list. Need containers to fit under the dinette? Cardboard boxes will do for the first trip.

Clothing - The only thing you need a lot of is underwear. And then no more than 2 weeks worth. Beyond that, it's time to get some soap use your wash basin and hand wash them!

Clothing - one "go to a funeral or a job interview outfit". One pair of shoes that might pass for "dress shoes". Everything else, multi-use, multi-function and can be layered. You don't NEED a winter coat if you have a singlet, t-shirt, flannel shirt and hoodie that can be layered. If you have one pair of shoes that are loose enough to get 2-3 pairs of sox on you don't need boots. You probably need 3 pairs of shoes, but one or two should be sandals or flip-flops you can wear anywhere. Two pairs of athletic shoes (sneakers)... because they stink less if you don't wear them every day - and so do your feet. Own nothing that is dry clean only. Limit all the rest of your clothing to fit into one storage tub from under the bed. Ditto for kitchen ware exclusive of food, but including spices.

Stowing foodstuffs. Bugs ARE a problem everywhere, always. Even so, don't buy anything but plastic bags initially. On the first trip - 3 to 5 days food is plenty. The refrigerator is small. How you choose and use everything else in your kitchen will be defined by how you cook and what you like to eat. Plastic bags are cheap, and when you find some good storage containers you won't have to replace anything expensive. Containers - see thru is good, easy and securely locked is very good. Size is everything so MEASURE the height of the cabinet over the refrigerator, under the refrigerator, measure the depth of the wire shelves in your pantry too. I had to bend mine open about 1/4 inch, but the containers I chose now ride very tightly. Keep those measurements with you so that when you think - ah perfect - you can confirm it won't be an inch too tall. Pots and pans - I spent about $200 on a great nesting set... but when you're starting out, $15 at the thrift store is great... you'll replace later but no hassle! Some people NEED the full set of nesting stuff, some of us are old and can afford it on a whim, the rest can be perfectly happy with a skillet, a teakettle, and a single medium sized pot.

Entertainment - Kindle, etc. Ipad, etc. Small is better. Hobbies - pick ONE. Sheets and linens... truth? You can was one set and put it right back on after laundering. Do carry an extra blanket though. Fleece is great, light weight and warm.

Medications - a good first aid kit is neat, and knowing how to use it, better. Carry any prescriptions, contact information and a spare pair of glasses too.

Paula
Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Excellent Advice..Thanks Foiled Again.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We are relatively new to all of this, but our initial experiences are that you need about half of what you think you need. If it is the two of you, you may want to rethink meals to where you do not generate a lot of leftovers (small fridge, etc.). Lightweight is good, heavy is bad. As much as I like it, I ditched the cast iron skillet due to weight. Pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, can all get out of hand. You can probably leave the sushi making equipment & the pasta machine home as well. We have found that Zip-Loc bags are our friend, but ten plastic bowls & lids are not. Two things we have evolved to are two microfiber bath towels, and a three drawer plastic storage unit that fits in the closet. We missed drawers the most initially, and that fixes that problem. Everybody needs a junk drawer. Finally, look for two stick on clips that snap open & closed and stick them inside the closet on the door, or the edge of the closet to hold that stupid rod you pull down the awning with. That rod fell out of the closet every time I opened the door. Got real old, real fast.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I agree w most of the lists but we do not take dressy, unless we know there is an occasion we need it for. We take sneakers, crocks, flip flops, loafers. We keep a pair of jeans, all weather jacket and a sweater or sweatshirt in the storage under the bed during the summer, just in case. A small back pack for hiking or biking. No glassware, except wine glasses which hang permanently. A few of a couple sizes of aluminum pans for casseroles and baking. Definitely the grill is always in the storage, the most used item.
Containers easily brought from the fridg. w all the fresh perishables.
Toiletries are in stack-able cases that we take in and out. Lots more but this is it for now.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Thanks a ton Foiled Again & Cannonball. You both bring up points that I hadn't thought about. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of those "a ha!" moments. I'm equally sure that I will completely overpack my first couple times out - I'm a woman who loves her shoes!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
My spouse took three purses on our lady trip. I almost lost my mind.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Here's my latest clothing storage test...plastic bins. The overhead compartments fit two of them perfectly stacked. Haven't been on a trip yet to test them out, but they have to be better than just having a big messy stack of clothes. The vertical bags on the left are for toiletries, including 2 bath sized pack towels on the very left.

So far, our longest trip has been a week, so, although annoying, it was tolerable to have stuff falling all over the place. But, in prep for upcoming long trip, we need to contain the chaos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	211314  
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
My spouse took three purses on our lady trip. I almost lost my mind.
Ha ha! This would be me, absolutely! I will keep your reaction in mind when I finally bring my belongings to the AS.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Rosie, Congrats on your new International AS
Go slow when placing things in your new camper, it is true you will need only half what you think you do. I thought I did with my pop up camper and still over the years it collected a lot of stuff that we only use on occasion. So when we pick up our new EB, I am only placing 1/2 the stuff that we really use from the pop up in it.
I also placed all food items in the zip-lock plastic freezer bags. Just one more barrier for insects.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Hi, and welcome, your Airstream sounds beautiful. I have a 19' with one small wardrobe. I followed the advise on one of the threads and built shelves in the wardrobe, leaving about 8" of hang space. The shelves are made in such a way, nothing is permanent. I now have five or six nice deep shelves, with a couple I use a basket to coral smaller items. Check the mods thread under closets. I can not take credit for this shelving idea, but I can tell you it is fantastic.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
I think that even going with half of what I "think" I'll need I will still have too much crap. I typically drive to each new job rather than fly just so I have space for my shoes, if that gives everyone any indication of my priorities. I think there will be a lot of trial and error on my part, and a lot a eye rolling and head shaking and looks full of "wtf?" on the man-child's (boyfriend) part!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I keep a notepad so I can write down what we could have used and forgot.
The only hard and fast rule we keep is to always take a winter jacket. We have camped in Michigan in the summer and Texas in the spring and have needed a warm jacket.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use lots of Rubbermaid etc storage containers to keep things organized. If you have not already done so I suggest http://www.ablifesyles.net for sheets and linens. Excellent products and the sheets fit great. If you have any doubts about the size just give them a call and they will walk you through the measurements. They make making the bed so much easier as they do fit your particular mattress.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
I think keeping notes would definitely be only beneficial.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Alameda , California
Congrats on your Airstream trailer. My wife "Rosiestreams" and i pick up our 27' in 3 days so we are definitely interested in hearing/seeing storage tips.
Slowskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Thanks Slowskee! I haven't seen it since we picked it out. The man-child (boyfriend) has it in his possession now, I'm just waiting to get home to see it and start making it our own. Hope you and your wife enjoy yours!

I have gotten a lot of tips about one thing specifically - Ziplock bags. Good thing to have and doesn't take up much space. The rest unfortunately will have to wait until I get there and can see the space.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I use lots of Rubbermaid etc storage containers to keep things organized. If you have not already done so I suggest http://www.ablifesyles.net for sheets and linens. Excellent products and the sheets fit great. If you have any doubts about the size just give them a call and they will walk you through the measurements. They make making the bed so much easier as they do fit your particular mattress.
Hey Graysailor, tried the link but wasn't able to get anywhere.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sorry about the link. You can Google sheets for Airstreams or Google AB Lifesyles. Lots of discussion on sheets and the greater opinion is that they are the best. Cheaper then getting them thru Airstream.

Foor cooking I have stainless steel nesting cookware which I found at WestMarine. They nest of course and work great. Saves a lot of space.

Tags
2012 international