Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Newbie!! Purchasing a 30' Serenity, wanting to convert bedroom to 27' style?

Hello 'Streamers!! Now that I have found out that our tow vehicle is on board with a new 30', we will ready to purchase one very soon. For sure we want to purchase the 30' International Serenity. But, my question to all of you experts out there is this~we LOVE the bedroom style, wrap around windows of the 27' International Serenity. We can have it custom made with no problem, just a little more cash$$$. This would mean we would lose the wardrobe and have night stands instead. But, we would have the full wrap around window which we really like. Any thoughts, pro's/con's?? I greatly appreciate your advise. This forum has been a God send. Cheers!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We traded a International 28' for a 30' Flying Cloud. Among the reasons, but a key one, was that the casual seating in the International was terrible. No matter what we tried the "L" shaped sofa was never comfortable seating for any period of time. With the FC we tried to find the recliner option but found only a unit with the couch. That seating is a significant improvement over the International. When we were inquiring here for solutions to the "L" sofa comfort issue, it was clear that others were dealing with the same problem.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Anna, if you really want that window, wait to have one built with the window. Don't leave open the chance for regret or "if I only..."

That will be a REALLY nice trailer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm glad that you are enjoying the Forums, This is a really good place to become Airstream educated.

Since you have asked, I will share my opinions on the panoramic windows in an Airstream. We have a 2005 Safari 25FB that we have camped in extensively (990 nights/90,000 miles). We don't have the panoramic windows on either end, and have never missed them. I don't think that I would care to trade Two wardrobes for panoramic windows in the bedroom. Unless you plan to spend a bunch of time in the bedroom during the daytime, panoramic windows are not that great of a benefit. I just don't think the benefit is worth the trade off for losing the insulation advantage of the solid wall when camping when it's real hot or real cold. Additionally, i think that an Airstream with panoramic windows is reminiscent of a Darth Vader Helmet on wheels.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The sense of spaciousness and natural light the panoramic windows bring to the trailer is wonderful.

You won't appreciate it unless you experience it. Whether sitting in the living room and looking back through the trailer and beyond, going to sleep under the stars, or just walking about the interior, there are no visual restrictions, no visual dead ends.

Opening all corners of the trailer is one of the great improvements to the Airstream experience.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have the 25 FB with pano's in the dinette end, and the small window in the bedroom. Mine has a crossways queen rather than the front to back one in the 30.

I really really like the 30 Serenity and have toured it at Out of Doors Mart. There are three factors about panos you should know:
  • One obvious thing is that the panos let a lot of light in. Lovely in the daytime. They let a lot of light in, even when the curtains are closed (only the Classics have 3 layers of "coffin lining" draperies). In a campground where people drive in and out when you're trying to sleep, the glare of their headlights could drive you nuts. I like the small window in my bedroom. Because mine is in the front it has a rock guard - so at night the bedroom seems snug and dark. The Serenity's bedroom is in the back and they don't put rock guards on a back wrap around window. The glass is tinted, but anyone peaking in can see you... nekkid if you aren't careful. The smaller windows seem to hold the temperature steadier too.
  • Panos are more prone to leak and harder to keep sealed. You'd better be up on the roof religiously caulking seams twice a year, and also checking around the perimeter of the floor for leaks between the inside and outside wall that manifest themselves in rotten flooring. I didn't do enough and this summer sucked up a big bill for floor rot repair. I live in mine, so the repair was really inconvenient.
  • secondly - unless you boondock - you'll definitely will keep those bedroom curtains closed almost all of the time. For that matter You don't open curtains by the couch all that often in a campground, because with an Airstream everyone wants to look in - and unlike a moho your windows are low enough to accommodate gawkers.
I still work, so my curtains are only open on weekends when I'm around to be sociable. In the bedroom, I want it dark when I sleep. Again if you're boondocking a lot Panos give you a great view... but those panos are 3 steps away from going outside and enjoying the beautiful view... so really?

30 footers - yep you CAN boondock, but it does get a little impractical to do deep wilderness camping. The 30 Serenity is a "Glamper" for sure!

I love the look of the panos in the bedroom, but as a fulltimer I need those extra little closets. There is a difference between initial appeal and long term liveability.

Your other real question is Recliners vs a Couch - I'd do the recliners but that's because I'm not camping with a bunch of kids and a husband. Think long and hard, most people say the couch is more salable. I think you can only buy intelligently if you imagine using it for 10-15 years. Stuff happens and sometimes people have to give up camping prematurely - DO WHAT PLEASES YOU, the future is a crapshoot.

Best wishes, Paula
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
you got me thinking - dangerous.

I've been designing the ideal 30 Serenity in my mind.

NO panos - front or rear, just the basic center window. Panos leak! All the time. I had mine repaired along with the floor this summer, and noticed a single drip last week. Took care of that one immediately. (It's a never-ending chore.)

NO skylight (Factory uses plastic about the thickness of the average blister packed tool, cracks and leaks if you effen breathe on it) - instead, a third Fantastic Fan. Clear covers on the fantastics in the Living area, smoke in the bedroom.

Recliners? I like the look, I like to relax in a recliner, I sew and do jigsaw puzzles so that big fold out table is nice... Yes, I'll probably go with Recliners....But I also like the storage with the couch. Especially nice is the niche behind the back of the long section (I refer to is as the "liquor locker").

TV in the bedroom NO, OH HELL NO. Flop on the couch or recliner if you want to watch TV. It's a camper, not a 5 bedroom house.

Kitchen - no conventional oven, just the Convection microwave - too many drawers sacrificed if you have both!

Post delivery changes
  • solar panels
  • slide out shoe drawers from bottom of the bed
(Aside about nothing - I was looking at the 25 - not the FB, the "front dinette" and realized that the bathroom door opened toward the living area, not toward the bedroom area. During the day, with a door that opens toward the bedroom, it's possible to use the facilities with the door partially open without revealing all to guests who might be in the living area. At night, it's a short path to the bathroom.... but with the 25 front dinette, you're going to have to walk clear around the closed door to go in, and if you don't close the door tightly, anyone in the living area is going to regret waking up. )
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
an Airstream with panoramic windows is reminiscent of a Darth Vader Helmet on wheels.
I luv that look!! Now, if only a Harley could pull an Airstream!
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Foiled Again wrote

"Aside about nothing - I was looking at the 25 - not the FB, the "front dinette" and realized that the bathroom door opened toward the living area, not toward the bedroom area. During the day, with a door that opens toward the bedroom, it's possible to use the facilities with the door partially open without revealing all to guests who might be in the living area. At night, it's a short path to the bathroom.... but with the 25 front dinette, you're going to have to walk clear around the closed door to go in, and if you don't close the door tightly, anyone in the living area is going to regret waking up."

Hi Paula, we have been traveling in our 25B front dinette 4 months now, have a good feel how this works out. The bath is the same one used in the 30' models so you don't need to leave the door open to use it. Plenty of space inside. But if you wanted to leave it open, there are two easy-to-use privacy curtains so the bathroom and shower can be isolated from the living area, or bedroom, or both. The bath and shower across the hall can be configured with the hall for a large private bath area. The forward-opening bath door prevents you from crashing into its edge if left open and you need to get up on a dark night, and gives privacy during the day from the nearby bedroom pano windows (the front dinette panos have the "sun shades").

The front and rear panos and skylight are terrific, pull the curtains to have only the center window and its much less pleasant inside, very limited views outside. There are both gas and conv/microwave ovens, good for boondocks or full h/u. I also like a recliner, my wife likes the extended dinette seat. I believe we may install one recliner by the door, and replace the table with the factory folding table used on the larger sofa models. Someone recently posted a picture of this conversion and it looks factory optioned, very nice.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 international