Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
My Exhaust Fan Keeps Failing, 2012

Has anyone with a 2012 International Signature experienced their stove exhaust fan and light failing? I'll be cooking and running the fan for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden, everything shuts down. I then am told I need to replace the fuse. I'm going on my third fuse...

I've never had to do this on my 2006 Safari (ran the fan upwards of 4 hours while roasting a turkey) and cooking for well over two years.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Assuming its still on warranty, take to your dealer and tell them to fix it. It could be a bad fan motor, a light that pulls more current with time/heat, a wire or connection that increases resistance with time/heat, too small an original fuse. Point is, AS should take care of this.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Assuming its still on warranty, take to your dealer and tell them to fix it. It could be a bad fan motor, a light that pulls more current with time/heat, a wire or connection that increases resistance with time/heat, too small an original fuse. Point is, AS should take care of this.
Funny you should mention taking her back to the dealer. I did and they told me that I just had to buy a bunch of fuses
Old 04-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
Funny you should mention taking her back to the dealer. I did and they told me that I just had to buy a bunch of fuses
Call Jackson Center and see if they agree with your dealer's recommended "fix." It doesn't sound right. Perhaps they could have a chat with the service department at your dealer about ways to fix it besides just throwing fuses at it forever.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
That's a hogwash response from the dealer. I sent you a note offline.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The fix for this - which has already been posted on Air Forums - is to increase the fuse from 3.15A to 5A. This change was authorized by the manufacturer and the info came thru Airstream who contacted them about the problem.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
That's a hogwash response from the dealer. I sent you a note offline.
Got it -- thank you!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
The fix for this - which has already been posted on Air Forums - is to increase the fuse from 3.15A to 5A. This change was authorized by the manufacturer and the info came thru Airstream who contacted them about the problem.
Why didn't this information come from the dealer? Rhetorical question.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Because most dealers are jerks who couldn't care less once they've got your money.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Because most dealers are jerks who couldn't care less once they've got your money.
One would think that they would recognize the large numbers of folks here on the forums, and be sensitive to generating bad press and ill will. That is if they want to keep selling new ones.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Our dealer at Covington Wa told us the same thing. Change the 3.15 amp fuse to a 3.5 amp. I had trouble finding one but finally got one and a spare from our dealer.
Phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaler113 View Post
Our dealer at Covington Wa told us the same thing. Change the 3.15 amp fuse to a 3.5 amp. I had trouble finding one but finally got one and a spare from our dealer.
Phil
My info was that the increase was to a 5A fuse - not 3.5A. Since there seems to be conflicting info someone should probably get in touch with Airstream and see what they can find out. And since I happen to be sitting in the TerraPort at JC right now I'll make it a point to see what I can find out tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
My info was that the increase was to a 5A fuse - not 3.5A. Since there seems to be conflicting info someone should probably get in touch with Airstream and see what they can find out. And since I happen to be sitting in the TerraPort at JC right now I'll make it a point to see what I can find out tomorrow.
How wonderful!! Look forward to hearing what you find out -- thank you!!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
LL2
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
I know this sounds funny...but did you make sure the vent was open on the outside? We took our new 27 out for a spin this weekend and noticed the duct was not open on the outside. there are 2 clips that keep the duct door shut while traveling. We slid the latches to the side and the fan worked great after that. wonder if your challenge with the fan is that the duct is not open.

Ours was working pretty hard blowing against the closed duct.
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Has anyone with a 2012 International Signature experienced their stove exhaust fan and light failing? I'll be cooking and running the fan for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden, everything shuts down. I then am told I need to replace the fuse. I'm going on my third fuse...

I've never had to do this on my 2006 Safari (ran the fan upwards of 4 hours while roasting a turkey) and cooking for well over two years.

Thanks in advance for any input.
I had the same issue, replaced the fuse and it happened again about 6 months later. So I put a little bit of tin foil on one end of a new fuse just to lengthen the fuse a tad and it seems to be working just fine. I think the poor contact was messing up the continuity of the circuit. Hope the electricians out there don't freak out too much. If I am going to blow the thing up, please let me know.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
I had the same issue, replaced the fuse and it happened again about 6 months later. So I put a little bit of tin foil on one end of a new fuse just to lengthen the fuse a tad and it seems to be working just fine. I think the poor contact was messing up the continuity of the circuit. Hope the electricians out there don't freak out too much. If I am going to blow the thing up, please let me know.
Since I haven't seen the fuse holder, usually there is a spring at one end.. a slight 'tug' on the spring if done carefully could stretch it a bit, thereby gaining "contact force"... similar to shimming out the fuse as you did, with a reduced likelyhood of shorting something out..

If dealer won't fix it in Texas, go Lemon Law?.. or "field engineer" the sucker with a better, US made fuse.. the electrons will only be confused for a little while..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post

Since I haven't seen the fuse holder, usually there is a spring at one end.. a slight 'tug' on the spring if done carefully could stretch it a bit, thereby gaining "contact force"... similar to shimming out the fuse as you did, with a reduced likelyhood of shorting something out..

If dealer won't fix it in Texas, go Lemon Law?.. or "field engineer" the sucker with a better, US made fuse.. the electrons will only be confused for a little while..
It was a "duh" moment for me. Happens too often. Of course that is the fix. I saved the bit of tin foil for some other foolish fix. Now works as good as, well, new.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
There are two other current threads on this same issue. If Airstream is suggesting to increase the fuse to 5A, why are the still issuing new trailers with the old fuse? Almost everyone with the Baraldi range hood is having this problem.

I'm going to call them today and ask for new fuses. At the moment we have been managing by not running the light and the fan at the same time.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
anybody have a part number for the 5 amp fuses?
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #20
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
You can get a 5 amp fuse at radio shack. I had the same problem in my 28' International.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 international