Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Lug Nuts on a new Airstream & Tightening

We have towed our new Airstream a good amount of miles and in the brochure it recommends that we tighten the lug nuts every 50, 100, etc. miles.

They say that the pounds of pressure on the lug nuts should be 110#

If you are doing this yourself, how can you check? I have tried to tighten the lug nuts myself (am a girl) and have turned them as hard as I could and have never felt any "give."

At what point is it when you don't have to worry about tightening them anymore??

Thank you in advance (again) for all of your help and suggestions!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
First of all I think most new Airstreams were delivered to the dealer after being towed from Ohio. I know in my case the trailer probably had 500 miles on it.

That being said I carry one of those four sided lug wrenches in my truck and before each trip I check each lug nut. I don't have a torque wrench but like you I check to see if there is any give, thus far I have not found any.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Buy a torque wrench and learn how to use it. I carry one of these with the correct socket and extension. Wait for a coupon then buy the wrench. They are girl friendly.

1/2" Torque Wrench

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Once a new wheel and lug nut is seated well through use, it is not as critical as it is when first mounted and through the next couple hundred miles. I would add that this procedure should be followed after any rotation or remounting.

Like others, after the first couple hundred, I have never found one to budge under specified torque.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have a wrench that looks just like Jim's and use that occasionally to check the bolts.

Any tire shop will check them for you for, at most, a nominal fee.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, always use a torque wrench; Too tight or too loose is not good. I check lug nut torque and tire pressures just before each trip. If for any reason that I have to completely remove a wheel, I torque the lug nuts when I put the wheel back on and one more time at the first rest stop.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
For those of you that check your lugnuts on the AS, do you also check them on your TV?
If not why not? In over 40 years of driving I have never checked the torque on my car and never had avwheel come loose or fall of.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As I said, not so critical after a seating after initial use. You should check you vehicle after some miles after a rotate. Rust and scale can be lodged in between the wheel and hub, work out during driving and leave lug(s) loose. Not too common, but we've all see that 3 wheel wonder by the side of the road and wonder.........just what caused that?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
For those of you that check your lug nuts on the AS, do you also check them on your TV?
If not why not? In over 40 years of driving I have never checked the torque on my car and never had a wheel come loose or fall of.

Gary
Hi, Gary. Before any trip while pulling my trailer, I torque all of the lug nuts on my tow vehicle and trailer. I also check tire air pressure on both too. With the old fashioned steel wheels, there was almost never a problem, but with aluminum wheels, they need to be checked.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Thank you everyone!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Don't forget to put anti-seize compound on the stud threads - that wil DRAMATICALLY change the torque on the nut / stud. In a pinch I use a very small bit of grease on the studs.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
For those of you that check your lugnuts on the AS, do you also check them on your TV?
If not why not? In over 40 years of driving I have never checked the torque on my car and never had avwheel come loose or fall of.

Gary
I asked the same question once of someone who has towed many more years than me. His answer focused on the side torque that trailer wheels go through (as opposed to tow vehicles) and how this can effect trailer lug nuts. He felt that even more torque wrench attention needed to paid to aluminum wheels.

I check my lug nuts with a torque wrench before each trip and each traveling day when I am traveling on long trips. Same with tire pressure.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Don't forget to put anti-seize compound on the stud threads - that wil DRAMATICALLY change the torque on the nut / stud. In a pinch I use a very small bit of grease on the studs.
There are mixed opinions on any lubricant on wheel studs. I do not ever lube wheel studs because I think it can result in over torquing the lug nuts. I run a thread chaser over threads that need cleaning up.

Just another point of view. Do a search on the web for various views on lubricating studs.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2013 Int'l 25FB was trucked out to Los Angeles from Ohio. At the 20 mile mark on the way home, I pulled over and 5 out of 6 lug nuts needed to be tightened on all 4 wheels. I also had to check the Hensley Arrow u Bolts. I then checked at about 50 miles and several lug nuts needed just a little more wrench action. I then checked at about 140 mile intervals for the next three stops and they were all okay.

I plan to check them before each run day just to be sure. One should also check tire pressure every morning to ensure a last minute "acquired" nail had not finally penetrated the tire overnight.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Torque'r......

Things to learn....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
WHOA THERE!!!
If you use anti-seize with a specified 'dry' torque, you can pull the fastener assembly apart.
Only 10% of the applied torque (dry) is used to actually tighten (stretch) the stud. the rest is used to overcome friction: 40% at the nut face, 50% in the threads. You take away that friction, you had better know how much to REDUCE the torque.
Even using oil on the threads calls for a 20% reduction in TORQUE to achieve the proper TENSION. (Wiping a dry bolt through a head of 'greasy hair' will do the same.)

ReTired Cdn. AME, and former agent for Premier Fastener Corp.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 international