Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Austin , Texas
Leveling/Stabilizer Jack Socket

Does anyone know a specific socket to buy for using a power drill to raise and lower the leveling jacks (must be a 3/8 inch chuck size and fit the T type socket on a 2012 International 19)?

I have searched the internet for hours (found the socket jenie website but need to know specifically which one to buy). The model listed in another forum requires a 1/2 inch chuck.

Thanks!
HankHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got a 3/8 to 1/2" adapter and a 6 point 3/4" deep well. Works for me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Camco-Leveling-Scissor-Jack-Drill-Socket

Try
Amazon.com: Camco 57363 Leveling Scissor Jack Socket: Automotive
OR
Camco Leveling Scissor Jack Drill Socket - Walmart.com
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You can buy a set of three chuck adapters at Home Depot or Lowes. There is one 1/4" socket drive, one 3/8". and a 1/2". I would suggest a 3/4" socket with that takes the 1/2" drive. This will work in any power drill/driver. I use a 3/4" 12 point regular depth socket. I have been using this set-up for years on the Stabilizers. I also use it on the Hensley weight-distribution drives.

For a number of years I used an 18 volt DeWalt. About three years ago, I bought a much smaller and lighter 12 volt DeWalt lithium/ion drill/driver. This works great at about half the weight of the 18 volt.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHill View Post
Does anyone know a specific socket to buy for using a power drill to raise and lower the leveling jacks (must be a 3/8 inch chuck size and fit the T type socket on a 2012 International 19)?

I have searched the internet for hours (found the socket jenie website but need to know specifically which one to buy). The model listed in another forum requires a 1/2 inch chuck.

Thanks!
I guess I'm a little confused...you don't have a hex head type adjuster on your leveling jacks? I've never seen a T type socket on an Airstream leveling jack. I think I know what you are talking about but I think most of the other comments are referring to a socket for a hex head adjuster. Do you need a drill socket with a slot, something like this? Socket Jenie For BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks
Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My 2007 international has stabilizer jacks that would mate with this adapter. I'm going to order one...

I suspect many are not hex heads nowadays...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Austin , Texas
To try to clear up any confusion...the bolt on the end of each leveling jack is ROUND and there are two pins that protrude from 2 opposite sides. There is no hex head to grab onto and a 6 point or a 12 point socket of any size will not work on these leveling jacks. This type of connector is used on Atwood products and I've seen it listed for mechanisms to raise and lower pop up tent trailers.

The tool that came with the trailer is not a hex head of any kind. It is a cylinder that has 2 notches on opposite sides. I can use it fine. BUT it would be nice to use the cordless drill and a socket that will fit this connector.
HankHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
See post #5 for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do the newer AS have leveling jacks now? Mine all had stabilizers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHill View Post
To try to clear up any confusion...the bolt on the end of each leveling jack is ROUND and there are two pins that protrude from 2 opposite sides. There is no hex head to grab onto and a 6 point or a 12 point socket of any size will not work on these leveling jacks. This type of connector is used on Atwood products and I've seen it listed for mechanisms to raise and lower pop up tent trailers.

The tool that came with the trailer is not a hex head of any kind. It is a cylinder that has 2 notches on opposite sides. I can use it fine. BUT it would be nice to use the cordless drill and a socket that will fit this connector.
Thanks. Assuming you have the BAL stabilizers, I posted a link to an adjuster socket above, BUT you are looking for one with a 3/8" shank instead of a 1/2" shank, probably so you can use it with an existing drill that you have. Have you thought about purchasing an adapter for your drill that will allow it to accept the 1/2" shank? I think you can buy them at Sears.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
I guess I'm a little confused...you don't have a hex head type adjuster on your leveling jacks? I've never seen a T type socket on an Airstream leveling jack. I think I know what you are talking about but I think most of the other comments are referring to a socket for a hex head adjuster. Do you need a drill socket with a slot, something like this? Socket Jenie For BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks
Thanks for providing the link for the Socket Jenie. It's a shame it uses a 1/2" chuck rather than standard driver hex end for my cordless drill. I'm surprised nobody makes one.
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinVenture View Post
Thanks for providing the link for the Socket Jenie. It's a shame it uses a 1/2" chuck rather than standard driver hex end for my cordless drill. I'm surprised nobody makes one.
I think that may be a misprint in the description. I have one and it chucks fine in my cordless 3/8" drill.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The T-slot adapters for the stabilizers will fit a 3/8" drill. At least, all the ones I've seen will.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I think that may be a misprint in the description. I have one and it chucks fine in my cordless 3/8" drill.
The description says it required a 1/2" drill chuck. Two reviews indicated that it required a 1/2" chuck rather than a 3/8" chuck. They were both told by the manufacture to go to Sears and buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Hold the music! I found it and at Walmart of all places. It looks like the officially BAL design slotted adapter for a cordless drill. Placed my order and keeping my fingers crossed!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50313957
Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mendocino , California
Alternative to the socket

I have a 2001 Bambi, which doesn't have the extended screws for the stabilizers. For me, the short socket in a drill wouldn't reach, I'd have to get way under the trailer. What I did was buy a new BAL stabilizer jack handle (found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GGJQ7G), cut off the handle with a hacksaw, leaving me with a 3/8" rod I could put in my drill. Problem solved for $16.
Kaydub is offline   Reply With Quote