Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily has traveled with us in the Interstate for 5 1/2 years, always been up next to us, and there was no noticeable wear nor injury to the Ultraleather covered benches in the rear.

However....since she has been occupying the co-pilot seat these past 2 years, I have noticed wear where she always has her paws.

She lays in the same position 99% of the time, where she can watch me as I drive.

I have still noticed no change in the benches in the rear, but she changes position and location periodically when on there, which is the difference.

I took a cotton rag rug and laid it on the seat to cover and protect.

Maggie
Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Carpet saver for couches

We have a 2007 Safari with brown and black plush fabric on the cushions. We use what is called Carpet Saver (I think the company name is one word) and purchase it in 8 ft by 30 inch lengths to cover the couch. It comes in Gray, Brown, or Beige. We have two small dogs that are always on the couch. It works well and we can remove it easily for washing.
kcbwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #23
Steve C

2018 25' International
Petaluma , California
Dog Damage

Hey There -I am brand new - 2 weeks into full timing. My 40lb Vizsla is pretty rough with stuff and, well, the AS is new - so I am spending a ton of time trying to keep a blanket on the leather....and other measures. But in the end, I looked at my camp carpet - a $2000 Persian rug. Have had this rug for 20 years, and with pets it was always hidden away to avoid damage. Well dammit, I bought it to use it - I makes no sense to hide it for another decade. So I am using it for one of the roughest jobs...and actually using and enjoying it. It may take me a month to get over the AS newness, but life is so much better to just relax. If the Ultra Leather gets dirty or scratched, well, its just a by-product of life happening.
moby_1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dog claws on the leather?

Consider getting an ordinary emery board or dog nail grinder to help smooth the edges of the dogs nails a bit to make it harder to scratch up things. Especially after a fresh nail trim. There are a lot of sharp edges left behind. You may have to train your dog to appreciate the attention. Two of mine are very protective of their paws and don’t cooperate well.

We also have slightly abrasive porcelain tile floors in our living areas to help wear down sharp nails and prevent people slips or falls.

We have 4 smallish rescue dogs and use blanket throws and towels to protect home and Airstream furniture a bit. It’s a forever battle. Ditto the “wall-to-wall dog hair” around here. Impossible.

Bottom line, the dogs company is more important that the perfection of the furniture, especially nowadays..
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Dog Nails

I always used a dremel to grind the nails of my German Shorthair. It's taken some time for him to get used to it (tolerate) but he's patient and compliant.

Six years of dog in the Airstream and our ultraleather still looks great.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Thank God for John Dyson….dog hairs, poof gone. Also thank Allah for AS23D with oyster pleather….whoever chose that material, I want to shake their hand. 1 year old Retriever in puppy mode…. If your pleather survives that literally unmarked….you got some serious pleather.
TV #1 2017 Mercedes AMG GL63
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
TV #3 2020 Mercedes GLE580
TV #4 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote