Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Do I need all of these extras?

Hello Streamers! Still figuring out the wants and needs of a new 30' International Serenity. The following were "extra's" that are offered to me and I wanted your opinion on what is a "must have" vs. "don't need at all". Thanks in advance for your opinions!

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom
2) Honda Generator/s: (1) 3000 watt or (2) 2000 watt
3) Solar Panels
3) 600W Inverter
4) Removable mud flaps for our Expedition
5) Power Leveling Jacks
6) Aluminum LP Tanks
7) Undercoat the Belly Pan
8) Roll Away Shower Door (to replace the glass door)
9) 2nd A/C Unit (I say YES to this one)

Thanks y'all.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Hello Streamers! Still figuring out the wants and needs of a new 30' International Serenity. The following were "extra's" that are offered to me and I wanted your opinion on what is a "must have" vs. "don't need at all". Thanks in advance for your opinions!

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom (yes, if you like to watch TV from bed or want to watch a different program from someone else)
2) Honda Generator/s: (1) 3000 watt or (2) 2000 watt (yes, if you plan to dry camp ...but I wouldn't buy them from Airstream...we have two 2000w easier to lift two x 45 lbs than one 3000w x 130 lbs)
3) Solar Panels (yes if you plan to dry camp a lot, but you could get better system installed independently)
3) 600W Inverter (yes)
4) Removable mud flaps for our Expedition ... (no experience here, but they are nice to have, and will help protect the front of your rig...again you can do this yourself)
5) Power Leveling Jacks (not necessary, imho)
6) Aluminum LP Tanks (not if they are going to be covered)
7) Undercoat the Belly Pan (no experience, but a neat idea)
8) Roll Away Shower Door (to replace the glass door) (no opinion)
9) 2nd A/C Unit (I say YES to this one) (I agree)

Thanks y'all.
See bold entries above...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Anna,

1. maybe.... but not from AS
2. yes..2/2000...but not from AS
3. not for me..but if yes not from AS
4. never needed one..but if yes a "pure sine" whatever wattage
5. yes..I use Towtector
6. yes
7. no
8. ? why... one door not enough
9. 30' yes

Good luck

Bob
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thoughts of a Confirmed Alumaholic

Here you go...
Quote:

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom No, but if you want one I'll sell you the one I removed from the bedroom of my Airstream complete w/ wall mount and DVD player
2) Honda Generator/s: (1) 3000 watt or (2) 2000 watt What TBRich said
3) Solar PanelsWhat TBRich said
3) 600W Inverter Not necessary
4) Removable mud flaps for our Expedition Very good idea!
5) Power Leveling Jacks Silly unless disabilities make it necessary. Expense and added weight should be considered
6) Aluminum LP Tanks I like 'em
7) Undercoat the Belly Pan Bad idea. These things rust from the inside out so undercoating is useless. Makes it a dirty chore to work beneath the trailer
8) Roll Away Shower Door (to replace the glass door)The roll-away door (in our 2000) was hugely superior to the glass door (in our 2007)
9) 2nd A/C Unit (I say YES to this one) Do you want to be a slave to 50amp hookups?

Thanks y'all.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
What year Expedition? Sounds maybe kind of light for a 30' ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom
No. Absolutely not, one TV is usually more than enough.
Yes. Check out WISE SALES for Honda or Yamaha generators.
3) Solar Panels
Yes. Only if installed by A. M. SOLAR in Oregon. Or someone like Lewster.
3) 600W Inverter
??? What are you going to plug into this?
Yes. Enkay or make you own. I made my own for my Navigator, you can too.
5) Power Leveling Jacks
No. Cranking the stabilizer jacks may be the only exercise that you get and are very dependable.
6) Aluminum LP Tanks
No. If you keep the propane tank cover, you won't see them. And if it's to save weight, you will save more by not having a second TV in the bedroom.
No. The belly pan is aluminum and won't rust. The extra weight of undercoating could rip this off in time.
Yes. I don't think an RV is a good place to have a glass shower door.
Yes. But only if installed at time of production with 50 Amp service.

Thanks y'all.
Hi, these are just my opinions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Abbreviated List

Quote:
1) 2nd TV in Bedroom
Not for me, but I agree that somewhere else besides from Airstream would be better. Probably better for the one in the living area for that matter.
Quote:
2) and 3)
No opinion. Others are much more qualified than me for these.
Quote:
Sounds like a great idea
Quote:
5) Power Leveling Jacks
Sure, why not. I don't have em, but a friend does. I don't envy them enough to retrofit, but if I was ordering new...
Quote:
6) Aluminum LP Tanks
Maybe, maybe not. My Excella came with a pair of Aluminum 30lb bottles, but I use a pair of steel 40lb ones. The extra capacity means more to me. I keep them covered anyway.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
Maybe. I don't have either, just a shower curtain. Periodically I am tempted to get one of the roll away ones. Maybe this year.
Quote:
Absolutely! Slave to 50 amp power? Use an adapter if necessary. Enslaved no more. You can only run one AC on 30 amps, but it's an option. When you have 50 amp service it's a little harder to grab a second AC out of a drawer an plug it in.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:

These are only opinions!

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom Nah, we hardly ever watch the other one
2) Honda Generator/s: (1) 3000 watt or (2) 2000 watt Nah, not unless you're into boondocking
3) Solar Panels Possibly, depends on the $
3) 600W Inverter Nah
4) Removable mud flaps for our Expedition Nah, we tend to keep off dirt roads
5) Power Leveling Jacks Nah
6) Aluminum LP Tanks Nah
7) Undercoat the Belly Pan Maybe, depends on the $
8) Roll Away Shower Door (to replace the glass door) The big question is why?
9) 2nd A/C Unit (I say YES to this one) Maybe, but a circulating fan makes most of the cold air from the one unit

Thanks y'all.
Positive little toad, aren't I?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
To clarify a bit about what use the inverter is... We have a 600 watt inverter in our Bambi...we love it because when we are dry camping we can turn on the inverter to power the inverter outlets (factory installed) and run a small appliance or charge the camera battery or laptop or TV without having to run our generator...you have to mind the power draw, but it is very convenient.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Aluminum tanks are a lot lighter when you are lifting and toting them from a-frame to truck, to propane supplier and back again, especially the largest 40 pound capacity ones. (I am woman hear me yelp! ) Also the wiring for the 2nd tv should be in the wall if you want to add it and the bracket yourself or a dealer can after market. I almost never use a tv or laptop in the rear but do on occassion. Generally a drop down shelf and wall cable/outside antenna tv and electric hook-up is supplied but will not play directly through the AS speakers or through the front DVD unit until wired in. Do you want your shower pan open or closed when not in use? A rollaway door while not as sturdy as glass would allow dog bowls or cat litter to be hidden away with open access. If you camp during AC weather and your unit is large I have read to include a second AC and turn on early in the day. We rarely have hot temperatures when camping in the places we have been to at the times that we have gone. We are cold weather campers. We haven't used a generator yet but always think we may someday add one. Better to upgrade the battery type and size for capacity and rely on conservation or shore power. If you don't want rock dings in your guard for rocks then flaps will have to be on your list. We have rock guards pelted with rock dings, go figure. Also expect some pelting from passing traffic when they roll by especially the trucks. I cringe everytime I hear and think to myself, "that didnt sound good!"

Congratulations and add all you think you may enjoy having on your new silver palace and do just that, enjoy it and travel all you can. It may cost more upfront to add options but then you have them right off, but if you miss one it can always be added.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

1) 2nd TV in Bedroom
3) Solar Panels
3) 600W Inverter
5) Power Leveling Jacks
6) Aluminum LP Tanks

Thanks y'all.
1) Yes, we use them both (We installed our own)
2) Maybe, if you plan to boondock ( I have 2 Eu2000i's)
3) I don't have, but may install when I retire and use AS MUCH more.
4) Double YES, YES (Big flaps way back behind the bumper SAVES the front end from all sorts of evils)
5) No, IMHO
6) Not if they are covered
7) I wouldn't
8) I like the glass
9) I've never needed it....but I do most of my camping up north.....may change my opinion, again, when retired and travel extensively through south and southwest.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
3000 Handi

The Honda 3000 I - great but 130 lbs! Honda also makes a 3000 HANDI - which is pull start, not electric, that is much smaller and weighs about 80 lbs. (Honda lawn mowers are easy start - how hard can a generator be?)

3000 Handi is a lot cheaper & simple to hookup and run. HOWEVER you rarely want a generator except when you're boondocking or during a long power outage. You're getting a 30 footer - true boondocker?

My suggestion - skip this unless you really plan to be off the grid a lot. You can always buy a generator later and it won't cost more if you wait six months.

I fulltime. I started with an 1000 EU 1000 - which is good for a toaster, electric coffee maker, space heater OR a hair dryer (one at a time) and can be used to charge the batteries. First time I used it I found out it didn't like the long 30 amp cord - but I could run an extension cord through the bottom of a window and do my abulations - or use it outside.

I've actually only used the 3000 Handi twice, but it will do everything. It would only run one Air conditioner however. Mine sits in my business where we have to be running 24/7 - and as a spare generator, this one cools our building!

I wouldn't waste a dime on a second TV. The rollup shower door sounds like a good idea to me, but I've never had one. I did forget to lock my shower door one time before traveling - ACK! It didn't break but it would have been a huge mess to clean up if it had.

IMHO undercoating the belly pan is an AWFUL idea. (grandpa would have said as useless as tits on a boar hog). The wheel wells - maybe!

Happy times - enjoy it, it's a BEEEEEEUUUTIFUL unit!

Paula
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
We had had a 1994 34-foot LY motorhome that had 2 a/c, 2 tv's, 6.5 Kw genset. Sold it and bought an '87 32-foot Excella. The motorhome was always having issues and we decided that the KISS principle was the way to go - keep it simple. We do dry camp quite often, so here's our take on your list:

1 - 1 TV is enough for us. However, internet is critical. So we had AS factory service install roof-mounted external cell phone antenna, which is attached to a Wilson amplifier with a pickup right beside the dining table - that way we get the best aircard signal.

2 - Generator - we bought a 3 Kw genset - enough to power the a/c should we need to. The genset is carried in the back of our truck.

3 - Solar panels - absolutely, but not through AS. Our rig has 3 75-watt panels, a Xantrex 1400 Volt-Amp inverter and 4 AGM batteries. 2 of the batteries are in the battery boxes and the other two are beside them behind the gaucho. We recently did just over 3 weeks without any hookups. Last year I did 5 weeks without hookups with the motorhome.

4 - Inverter - Absolutely yes. But get one that is rated at 1,500 volt-amps (preferably sine wave) and have it professionally installed. Ours powers all the 110-volt sockets, so we have to remember to switch the refrigerator to gas when we use the inverter. Last year, with the motorhome, I used a small 150-watt inverter, and it barely provided enough power for my laptop - with the 1400-watt inverter, there is plenty of power.

5 - power leveling jacks - not needed. Remember the KISS principle. Besides which, cranking down (or up) the stabilizing jacks is not hard work. Some folks use a battery operated electric drill with a 3/4-inch socket to do this (and they have the drill available for other projects.

6 - aluminum propane tanks. I have them and I like them. They are lighter to handle, and don't rust.

7 - undercoat the belly pan - as others mentioned, it's not necessary. It may add complications later on. Keep in mind that as you travel and the whole trailer "works", some of the rivets which attach the banana skins or the belly pan may loosen and fall out. You will want to be able to spot these and put in new pop rivets.

8 - rollaway shower door - your preference. The motorhome we had came with a glass door, and it was not an issue as long as you took the time to secure the latch properly. Our Excella trailer has a hard plastic accordion door which is held in place with a strap. Either one is fine.

9 - second a/c - This depends on where you intend to camp. If you plan on being in southern Arizona in the summer when the temperature goes to 114f, the 2 a/c would be a good idea. Otherwise you will find that the single a/c is sufficient. One thing we noticed with an old SOB trailer we had a number of years ago. It was small and we put in a 13,500-btu a/c where the suggested size was 11,000-btu. It didn't do the job because it dropped the temperature but never got the humidity out. You will find that the Fantastic fan will provide comfort as well.

While you never mentioned it, if you intend on dry camping where it gets chilly at night (as we are now in southern Arizona), you will need to consider some form of propane heater - the furnace is not an option when dry camping, as the fan will run your batteries down in a very short time.

Enjoy your travels!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'll just mention that i have the 50a with 2 ac units. it is great when the temps get over 85. it is only a need if the heat bothers you a lot or will be in direct sun in hot areas. just be aware that the front connection for a generator was not available with 50a service.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 international