Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Black Tank Cleaning

Does anyone know if the black tank dump "neck" (not sure what to call it) is a straight shot back into the tank? I'm using the Sewer Solution and it doesn't seem to be very effective getting back there on its own. Once I hook up the water rotor thing on the back it seems to get pretty clean.

Any tips for keeping a clean and smell-less tank is appreciated as well!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use the SS and do not believe that it is designed to clean the tank. The adjustable spray nozzle is for breaking up solids and prevent clogs before they reach the drain hose. I use the built in tank cleaner. It seems to work as advertised. I use a product called "Pure Power Blue" as a waste digester and odor eliminator. It has a smell like old fashion bubble gum. I picked it up from Camping World. Wallyworld and Amazon also sell it. I dump the gray tank after finishing with the black. It flushes and rinses the exterior plumbing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I don't know for sure but I think each of the tanks draining into that outlet have an elbow as the " STUFF" leaves the tank. At least that's what it looks like to me as I see photos that get posted here. A look at an owners manual might answer this question for sure and mine is in our trailer and not at home. Regarding cleaning the tank I think the best method is water. Lots of water. The recent trailers seem to have a flush attachment for a hose and work well but are slow to add water to the black tank. Don't walk away or get distracted during this flush. ( Don't ask how I know this ). My first Airstream did not have this flush attachment and I purchased a Flush King to do it. It's a gate valve that attaches to the discharge and has a hose fitting upstream from the valve so after dumping you can close the valve and turn the water on and backfill your tank(s) to get a really good high volume flush. The first time I used it I did it 6 or 7 times and was very surprised at what was still coming out. It has a clear elbow at the valve so you can enjoy the show. My newer trailer has a flush and I use it frequently and still use the Flush King a couple of times a season. Many Airstreamers use chemicals designed to aide decomposition and odor control in the tanks. I find I don't need to and so I don't.

I read good things here on the forum about the Sewer Solution. I gather that they work well and assist in dumping where we would have difficulty at some locations but I haven't found the need so far. So, proper use of chemicals might help out if you have an odor problem but I feel good that I get a good flush using lots of water and have not needed any. But, do keep your black tank dump valve closed between dumping so you don't accumulate a layer of sediment in your lines and do reserve as much grey tank volume as possible to help flush all that "STUFF" as you dump the grey tank.

See ya on the road sometime

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

In my maybe not so humble opinion.

I don't feel like there is a "proper use" for chemicals in the black tank. I use enzyme treatment. It breaks down all solids, human and toilet paper. It also kills the bad smelly bacteria, while leaving the needed bacteria. I never have a clog issue, and smell is minimal.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I don't consider myself much of a "conservationist" but I do think a lot of the stuff we put in our water is really bad for it. I also don't know much about the chemical makeup of the "blue pills" but that's what I throw down my toilet. It does keep everything smelling like lavender but that's gotta be hard on the environment.

My only real complaint with the Sewer Solution thus far is that it seems to use a ton of water just to get the "stuff" out of there and down the tube. Maybe cleaning the stinky slinky out would end up netting the same usage but I have no experience with it.

My biggest concern though is keeping the tank clean of stuff that will smell and doing it without coming into direct contact with any of it. For that reason the SS seems to be the winner and I'm happy with it. But I've only been doing this for a few months and have to wonder what is getting left behind that I can't see.

To me it seems like there isn't just one solution it's a combination of using several different tools in the right order.

Connect Sewer Solution > Connect Water (not from the white hose) > Turn on water > dump black tank > open SS water valve and point downward > let go till water is clearish.

Shut off water > reconnect to flush valve (y-valve would be nice) > let run with waste gate open for several minutes > be shocked by what is coming out again > close waste gate (even though they say not to) for just a minute or so > hope wife doesn't try to flush toilet > visual what her reaction would be if she did > reopen waste gate > stop laughing > flush with SS again.

Assuming all is clear, secure everything > go inside > throw down little blue pill > hold down toilet valve to let fill with some water (how long...?) > then remember you forgot to... go.

That's pretty much my procedure. Am I missing anything?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Probably just the "remember to go" part. . We have found that our tank flushes sold waste out much better if we make sure to add enough water to the tank as we're using it. To that end, we replumbed our bathroom sink to dump into the black tank before we closed up the bathroom walls during reno. Many newer AS do that already. We have the "wand down the toilet" contraption and that works well also. Some people just don't use the toilet for "solids".

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kay, that was a mistake we made on our first trip. We seemed to be deathly afraid that we'd somehow manage to fill the black tank up in three days so we'd use as little water as possible when flushing. Now we do the opposite and have adopted the five second rule. Five seconds letting the water run each time we flush. Still haven't filled it in three days.