Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

2015 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
2015 30 ft International CCD poor quality control issues

We took delivery on this new AS (our previous two were used) in the Fall, and expected some shakedown issues. But got more than we bargained for: there is a safety recall on the power inlet; both galley and bathroom faucets leak badly (Grohe), and the galley faucet does not spray and if pulled out cannot be put back in; ducted/zoned AC/Heat pump is great, but heat/cool air comes out at almost the same volume no matter which zone is selected; cabin door is sprung and must be slammed very hard and loudly to close; rear window emergency egress does not open fully; and some minor things (warped sink cover, pantry slide out difficult to operate; hinges always falling off, stove top loose, etc. ). I sent Airstream a written list of issues, but never heard from anyone. Very disappointing. I would normally go to my longtime dealer for these issues, but am traveling in Florida near Fort Myers and will not return home until Spring. Aside from the safety recall, the biggest issue is the faulty AC/heat pump ducting system. Have an appointment with AS dealer in Ft. Myers, and hope they will get warranty support from AS in correcting these issues. Would appreciate any advice.
lyndamaxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That is a bit of a list - your dealer should have done a pre-delivery check and caught most of it. If your door is sprung it's almost guaranteed that the hauler taking it to the selling dealer did it.

Any authorized dealer SHOULD do the work.

I would CALL the Airstream factory and urge them to work with the dealer in your area to get you to the front of the line. I don't want to start signing my name "Catherine of Arrogance" but it is surprising how the internet has evolved over the last 10 years. Someone like moi with +4000 posts either knows a lot or is an opinionated mfff-fffpm-sssh and Google has come to know me and my opinionated self.

Somehow, and maybe it's my imagination, but somehow - well I'm sure lots of people get top notch service, so I'm not exceptional - but perhaps no one wants to get skewered by my frequently flying fingers. And on the other hand when someone gives me exceptionally good service, I mention that too.

Publishing can have good feedback. So can giving the factory a heads up: here's the problem, here is what we want, is it reasonable. Yes? Will you help us get the help we need? Thank you.

Paula
Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
I am sorry to hear of your woes with your trailer.

We are currently deciding whether we want to purchase a new Classic or wait until 2016 when they get the 'bugs' worked out, but we truly weren't aware of any problems with the new ducted A/C. As a matter of fact, aside from the design and style of the new Classic, that is what really is making us want to trade up so to speak. Tim Maxwell at Airstream informed us in Tampa recently that the 2016 trailers would no longer have the raised roof hump section but he mentioned no problems of the actual operation of the ducted system.

I am very interested in your experiences with your ducted A/C system issues. Could you please elaborate more?
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wish you all the best getting this done... It CAN and will be done. A 'local' dealer can be the one to resolve..... There is my 'happy speech'..

Also, look up the 'lemon law' in your state of residence/purchase.... 'luck prefers the prepared mind'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You never had that many problems with your used trailer because the previous owner had them all fixed.
Take the trailer and your list to Jackson Center. The will fix everything to better than production. You will be 110% satisfied. Then you will love and enjoy your trailer.
I compiled a list of 60 or more items. Even while at Jackson Center getting things repaired, I kept noticing or remembering things wrong and kept adding them to the list. The would have replaced my flooring and pocket doors if I would have been able to leave the trailer for 2 weeks. Jackson Center is absolutely the best service center ever.
The positive in my situation is this: nothing wrong with the trailer kept me from camping. My previous sob trailer had more problems and bigger problems that caused me to leave it at the dealership and not get to use it. What good is a travel trailer that won't travel or a camping trailer that won't camp? I will always go to Jackson Center for service.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I would second and third the recommendation to go to Jackson Center. Having experienced warranty work with three dealers, I will now only go to Jackson Center for repairs unless it is a small, easily handled issue (then we can usually handle it ourselves). The authorized dealers I have used have frequent turn over in service staff and I have never had the same technician twice. Therefore, a novice is usually working on my unit. You just don't know what or who you are getting to work on your unit and you won't know their skill or training level, at least here in the upper Midwest.

All the best and much luck resolving your problem,

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You never had that many problems with your used trailer because the previous owner had them all fixed.
Take the trailer and your list to Jackson Center. The will fix everything to better than production. You will be 110% satisfied. Then you will love and enjoy your trailer.
I compiled a list of 60 or more items. Even while at Jackson Center getting things repaired, I kept noticing or remembering things wrong and kept adding them to the list. The would have replaced my flooring and pocket doors if I would have been able to leave the trailer for 2 weeks. Jackson Center is absolutely the best service center ever.
The positive in my situation is this: nothing wrong with the trailer kept me from camping. My previous sob trailer had more problems and bigger problems that caused me to leave it at the dealership and not get to use it. What good is a travel trailer that won't travel or a camping trailer that won't camp? I will always go to Jackson Center for service.
I understand the sentiment, but not everyone has 1-2 weeks of available time to travel 1000-2000 miles just to get a brand new trailer up to "new" condition. Not to mention the expense to travel there.

Maybe Airstream should include an expense paid trip to JC with the purchase of a trailer.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
MacPDX, you're spoiled. If I didn't have an AS I would likely have a Northwood (Arctic Fox). Even though the don't sell the "back east" anymore. They are nice Rvs, assuming the quality is what it used to be. I liked the video the have (had?) on their website with a couple of hefty dudes jumping up and down on the roof.

As to new Airstreams, too many people have too many problems with them. Yep they'll fix them, but they shouldn't have to, at least not more than a few minor glitches. instead they need better quality control for such an expensive and somewhat overpriced (IMHO) product. I think they are laughing all the way to the bank (note the lack of response from AS to the OPs problems).

In any event Lynda, I hope you get things worked out. It has to be a mega bummer.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Lemon laws do not apply to RVs, particularly towable units, in most (all) states.
And even if they did, the likelihood of a satisfactory outcome is very small.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you bought this unit from your "longtime Airstream dealer" and they let you drive off the lot with it in that condition, you need a new dealer.

JD Sanders, up in Alachua, Florida, has great service, are honest people and are closer than JC

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This post will be useless to you, but priceless to anyone getting ready to buy a new unit.

When you go to pick up your new Airstream you are entitled to a dealer walk through. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until that is complete, and until any deficiencies have been fixed. Many dealers do a good job... a few want to hustle you out the door as fast as they can with as little service as possible. Airstream reimburses them but there is paperwork and a delay so they want to avoid the work.

Walk through with a nitpicker's eye - using the list of problems provided by the starter of this thread, or any other thread regarding shakedown problems.

RV Dealers and car dealers have gypsy salesmen, they won't be there when you by Airstream #2, #3, or #4... But the owner of the dealership will - I play nice (much against my natural bent) and simply say "No, this is a release that says I'm satisfied. That won't be possible until the walkthrough is complete and any deficiencies are corrected." I parrot my sister's favorite reponse 2, 3 more times "NO is a complete sentence." And one of two things happens - they get angry or they fold.

Anger? She who has the gold makes the rules. Colonial Airstream will be thrilled to give me a thorough walk through.

Illigitimi non Carborundum.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
I understand the sentiment, but not everyone has 1-2 weeks of available time to travel 1000-2000 miles just to get a brand new trailer up to "new" condition. Not to mention the expense to travel there.

Maybe Airstream should include an expense paid trip to JC with the purchase of a trailer.

The dealer I purchased from is 5 hours away. The next closest dealer is 6 hours away. They never have parts on hand and they always want you to leave the trailer with them. That is 10-12 hours to drop it off and 10-12 hours to go back and pick it up after 2 weeks. You know what happens if it still isn't right? Yep.
That is 20-24 hours (2days) on the road and you are without your trailer for 2 weeks. You can spend the same time going to Jackson Center and sleep in your trailer every night. They spent 3 1/2 days repairing my trailer and I drove home happy. I scheduled the repair appointment to coincide a gospel singing in Tennessee. I took 1 of my 3 weeks' vacation. This is what I will always do. It was a fun adventure. We drove to Jackson Center Monday. While there, we did a factory tour and toured the bicycle museum in New Bremen, OH Tuesday. We toured the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH Wednesday. Thursday we hung around the service center lounge waiting for the trailer. Friday we drove back to Mississippi.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Convinced me. Making my appointment for JC tomorrow morning
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If you bought this unit from your "longtime Airstream dealer" and they let you drive off the lot with it in that condition, you need a new dealer.

JD Sanders, up in Alachua, Florida, has great service, are honest people and are closer than JC

Mike
2x on Sanders. Just had my punch list of 20+ things taken care of. Made an appointment they fixed everything including the power connector recall. Easy to work with. We waited there the six + hours while the work was being done. The tech came out a few times to give us options on which way to fix and to ask us about the problem. Talked to several of the Sander's while we waited. Didn't seem to care that we did not purchase from them. Nice folks. Will using them for future repairs or warranty work.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Why a power connector recall

What is te problem
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the correction on the Lemon Law... still more to learn in life...

I guess that's one of the times to be a "bad example"... I do that best obviously..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #17

2015 19' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
I purchased my Airstream from Intermountain Airstream in Salt Lake City. I am more than thrilled with Loren Swartz his son and the owner. They have spent at least 2 hours, possibly 3, may feel like 4 or 5 to them teaching me and my fiance how to use our new Airstream. We have had them winterize it, dewinterize it, rewinterize it, they brought the trailer to my work to show it off for me, I have no doubt that if there was anything that needed to be done to it, they would handle it in moments. I seriously feel like we bought the Rolls Royce of travel trailers and am not worried for a moment that if anything comes up that needs to be handled it would be. I know it is a pain to get to Salt Lake City, but if you are nearby, I would definitely buy there. Ask for Loren, tell him Russ and Angelia sent you and you will never have to worry about a thing.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another plus here for JD Sanders, good people! Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

You get what you pay for or expect more than you get, unfortunate that the experience can't be more consistent across the dealer network.

When we bought new in 2004 we did not receive a CSI survey from JC, do new buyers get one?

In the Auto Business the surveys went right down to the individual employee.
I'm not convinced that JC pays any attention at all to customer dealer satisfaction.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Why a power connector recall

What is te problem
Some of the 14's had potential issues with the power inlet connector. I think it there is potential for fire. I thought it was only for 30 AMP serivce but I received a recall notice I have 50 AMP service.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote