Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Woman solo with dog

Hi all. I am considering buying a sport 16 in the spring. I am a single woman and want to travel (not full time) with my dog. How do some of you handle bathroom breaks on the road? I am not one who is against leaving your dog in the car for a brief period if weather is cool enough and windows cracked. However I know there may be times when it is too hot. Do you use the toilet in your trailer? im sure you all have this worked out so wanted to know what you do please! Thanks in advance.
Jalayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
While in route & at campgrounds I use the bathroom in my trailer thats why I purchased it. If you just stopping to use the restroom its probably time for the doggie to go potty also..The dog will either stay in the truck while you run in to use the bathroom..or go with you to the trailer..then on his/her walk
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome...you just get out and run in, leave a window down if need be but a potty break shouldn't take long enough for your vehicle to overheat.

I usually potty first, then take Lily for a walk.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 10-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome! We take our pooch with us camping as often as we can and at rest stops, we take her for a spin around the rest area (usually a place for them to do their business) then bring her in the trailer with us while we do our business [emoji3]

It's great to not have to use public bathrooms!

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Thanks for your responses! I've been kind of surprised at how upset some folks get about leaving your dog in your car at all. I agree you should be very careful...not be gone so long and watch temps/shade but good to hear some of you do it at times with caution. Also just didn't know if it was a good idea to use trailer toilet all the time cause then you have to empty it more. Hahaha! Sport 16 tank not so large so being inexperienced at this didn't know how soon it fills up. (21 gal combo). SteveSueMac look s like your pooch is a cousin of mine. I have a beagle!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalayton View Post
Thanks for your responses! I've been kind of surprised at how upset some folks get about leaving your dog in your car at all. I agree you should be very careful...not be gone so long and watch temps/shade but good to hear some of you do it at times with caution. Also just didn't know if it was a good idea to use trailer toilet all the time cause then you have to empty it more. Hahaha! Sport 16 tank not so large so being inexperienced at this didn't know how soon it fills up. (21 gal combo). SteveSueMac look s like your pooch is a cousin of mine. I have a beagle!

Beagles and bloodhounds are cousins! [emoji23]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	295982
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I recently posted this in another thread, but frequently leaving our dogs in the airstream is fine when the car can get too hot. Unless the air temp it very high, most of the heat in the car comes from the windows. The airstream is at least minimally insulated and opening the roof vents and turning on the fans can keep it perfectly safe. Just use common sense. If you’ll be gone very long or it’s very hot outside find another plan. But if your only concern is during a bathroom break, just bring the dog in the Airstream with you.

And of course use the bathroom in the Airstream. Thr only time we don’t is on the last leg home before it goes into storage at the end of a season.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
I leave truck running w Daisy inside. Use a manual key to turn lock driver door cause it auto unlocks if engine is rynnibg and I try to switch lick or throb lock. Manual twist lick works. Yes I've been bystander- lectured and who cares. People need to mind their own biz not mine.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
I love this air group. Thanks so much. When I figure out how to post pics I will post Abby beagle sometime!
Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I'm a solo senior woman camper... not potty related, but I'd only consider double axels on a camper. Then if you have a flat tire, the camper is usually not leaning heavily toward the flat. IMHO..
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our camping friend is an 81 year old lady with a dog.
She has an Interstate.
She has the bathroom breaks figured out.
Humans go in the camper and fuel/meal stops.
Dogs go at rest stops and fuel stops.
Sometimes if the dog has to stay in the camper she runs the generator and roof air like during church while traveling.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Rolla , Missouri
I full time with my dog. Generally I stop every 2-3 hrs just because I have to go, I generally relieve my dog whenever I go. He can hold himself for a full day, but the movement while traveling I think makes him require more frequent stops. Yes I use the toilet in my trailer when necessary but not always.
2000 F250 7.3L PSD
Home-N-Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Just as a data point, my husband and I put in a lithium battery system which is capable of running the roof a/c for short periods (1-2 hours). I turn that on when I leave the dog in our rig for short periods in hot weather.

The special issue for me is that we live in the Deep South. If someone sees a dog in a vehicle, they are not going to stand there thinking, "Hmmm... how long has that dog been IN that vehicle? Has it been three minutes or two hours?" They'll just smash the window out without hesitation even if the dog doesn't show signs of stress. So if the roof a/c is running, they'll know that the dog is safe. So I run the roof a/c even when it does not need to be run, strictly speaking.

Even if I cover the windows with their reflectors, the dog sometimes barks at passers-by. So even if they don't see her, they'll still smash out a window in a standing vehicle unless they hear a/c running.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
my minn pin loves to travel and adapts to any circumstances..loves the heat..not the cold..when we stop to relax a bit i use the toilet in the trailer,then walk her or,she walks me.....she is such a good traveling companion .
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Also travel solo with a beagle. I always use the trailer washroom (but am very quick about it if I have to leave the beagle in the truck when its hot).

Then the beagle goes on a leash for her break - unless we are at a highway rest stop with grass and trees - which seem to be a home for feral rabbits. Then she gets distracted by the scent and starts baying! So much for that bathroom break!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not a solo female nor traveling alone. But, do travel with my wife and two Labradors. When we stop, usually every two hours, I lift both dogs out from the back seat of the pick up truck and walk them around a bit while my wife uses the trailer. Then we switch off and back into the truck and off. So, for you, I'd simply put the dog in the trailer while you use the bathroom, then a quick walk with the dog. Will give the dog a chance and in the long run the bit of walking will save your back.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The special issue for me is that we live in the Deep South. If someone sees a dog in a vehicle, they are not going to stand there thinking, "Hmmm... how long has that dog been IN that vehicle? Has it been three minutes or two hours?" They'll just smash the window out without hesitation even if the dog doesn't show signs of stress.
If you can trust the animal not to jump through a window screen, you can get screen mesh for the front doors that fits over the top of the door like a bag, and lets you roll the windows down while the screen is in place.

Not only provides visible ventilation to ward off would-be pet rescuers, but also prevents the intrusion of insects at the same time.

I got mine at Eurocampers: http://www.eurocampers.com/2007--201...Set_p_749.html

Similar (but not identical) products are also available for pickup trucks at companies like https://theskeeterbeater.com/.

Unfortunately, if you have an animal that will burst through a screen in pursuit of whatever, vehicle window screens won't help…
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the presumption at a rest stop is that the owner of a dog in the vehicle is inside using the facilities, and will be back shortly to tend to their pet.

In all of the lower 48 states with a dog, there has never been a problem for us with anyone at a rest stop worrying that Lily had been abandoned in a vehicle that was overheating...go in, take care of business, walk the dog, no problem.

We did have a problem at Mount Vernon, I believe it was....warmish, parked in the shade, windows were open, vent fan was on, and we did a whirlwind tour early in the day to get back to the dog.

Still, came out to find a woman standing near the Interstate, Lily barking furiously, who then announced she was with “lab rescue” and was concerned about our dog. She left, the ranger she called arrived.

I understand the issue with dogs left in hot cars, but don’t think you will have a problem for a few minutes at a rest stop, reasonable precautions taken, like opening windows.

We never have, and now about 230,000 miles between 2 RV’s since 2002.

Use common sense, and you and your dog will be fine.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A wireless digital thermometer/hygrometer with Bluetooth paired to your phone can tell you the temperature inside your vehicle if you have to leave a pet inside it for any length of time, including giving you an alert if the temperature rises out of the safe range for your pet.

I recently located this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...eter+bluetooth

I haven't bought one yet, but since I travel with my cat now, it seems prudent to buy something like it, so it's on my Amazon wish list.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
When traveling a distance, we stop at rest stops every 2 hrs/100 or so miles, humans use the trailer toilet, BigDog wanders at the pet areas. I routinely leave BigDog in the trailer when we stop at nature centers etc. for an hour or two, but I should say that we're in the NW where it seldom gets over 70-75. When we were in more southern climes, I'd leave him in the trailer with the AC on if we had a hookup, and I've occasionally left him in the truck with the motor running and the AC on, but on those occasions, I typically check on him every half hour or so to make sure he's OK. We typically avoid places over 80, as NWerners, I've just never become acclimated to heat, so hot doesn't work well for me and I avoid it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigDog head.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	296739   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigDog.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	296740  

RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb