Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #141
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to maryc4146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStewart View Post
Hello Mary and welcome. Echoing my sympathies for your loss.

Can't answer your tow vehicle question but can say traveling solo is not only fun, but it can be therapeutic. Pulled a 22' Bambi from the East to West coast last August/September; had a wonderful time and no problems. Had lost a dear friend to pancreatic cancer just before leaving and the trip helped deal with that a lot.

Just use common sense and that sixth sense, which women use so well. I found visitor information stops during the day were helpful, clean and safe. In fact, I believe I met Cari at one last August, maybe in Montana, and we intersected several times after. Get good road side assistance coverage, just in case. The Allstays and RV applications really helped with finding a place to stay each night. The customer reviews in those were invaluable.

You should be just fine, will meet interesting and fun people and build more character.

My best for you having fun adventures in your new life.

Dear MStewart,
Thank you for your condolences. It has been almost two years since my husband passed and I've had a lot of alone time. When we bought our AS in 2009, neither of us had any camper/trailer experience whatsoever. We had always camped in tents. I think that if I felt more confident then it wouldn't be so hard. I think I already have the road side assistance but that's something that I need to check on. Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions.

Take care and safe travels,
Mary
maryc4146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #142
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Mary - I too am sorry for your loss. I think it is great your are connecting on this forum. Lots of really nice helpful interesting people. I am not single but I am a woman in my 50s who frequently Airstreams solo so if you have any questions, I will certainly try to be helpful. Feel free to send me a PM. I have had my 23 FB for 3 seasons now and have had it out quite a bit in the Rocky Mountain region. It is a lot of fun. Welcome to the forum!

Sandy

Thank you Sandy. I'll keep that in mind and probably contact you when it warms up a bit.
Take care, Mary
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #143
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRVing View Post
Mary, sorry for you loss and health issues. Glad things are improving for you. I'm a solo but travel in a AS motor home so not very helpful in trailer stuff. I do know that my brother loves his Dodge ram for RVing. I do a lot of traveling so if you have any solo traveling questions, I'll be glad to chime in. I'll be headed for GA from CA the end of March if anyone is in the southern part of the US. I travel with a standard poodle.
Myrna

Thank you for your message Myrna. I'm going to visit my sons, who live in AZ for awhile (without my AS) and Maui. Hopefully when it warms up in SD in 2 or 3 months, I'll be more confident and ready to enjoy my AS. If you go through AZ during your trip, I would love to meet you.

Take care and self travels,
Mary
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #144
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Dear h70man,
Thank you very much for the inspiring email. Wow...that's amazing...she's amazing. Hopefully in two years I'll be able to do the same.
Take care, Mary
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #145
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Dear Dave and Myrna,
Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely checks the groups out.
Take care,
Mary
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Mary - one suggestion that was given to me when we first got our camper was to make a camping reservation at a local RV park or campsite where other trailer people stay and take the trailer ther for a 2-3 night shakedown stay. That way if something doesn't work or you need help on how something works, home is a few minutes away and there are other campers nearby to help. I did this when we first bought our camper and invited a good friend along for moral support. It really helped me get more comfortable and confident with my unit. Might be something to consider when spring comes. BTW, I used to live in Bozeman, MT Up near your latitude. Always wanted to tour South Dakota!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Mary - one suggestion that was given to me when we first got our camper was to make a camping reservation at a local RV park or campsite where other trailer people stay and take the trailer ther for a 2-3 night shakedown stay. That way if something doesn't work or you need help on how something works, home is a few minutes away and there are other campers nearby to help. I did this when we first bought our camper and invited a good friend along for moral support. It really helped me get more comfortable and confident with my unit. Might be something to consider when spring comes. BTW, I used to live in Bozeman, MT Up near your latitude. Always wanted to tour South Dakota!
Hi Mary, I second bonginator's suggestion. I spent a day practice backing in the local VFW lot and spent a weekend in the local campground with my family for a shakedown cruise when we got our AS. We utilized our local hardware and grocery store to gather supplies as required and had time without pressure to get the hang of things.

Regarding the mysterious self locking shower knob, the PO's wife got caught in the shower once and he made a clever mod.The nut on the inside of the shower was replaced with a knob so I take the whole knob and keeper off and store it in the slot under the bathroom mirror at each stop as part of my load in routine.
Our top keys to success so far:
Build a good load in and load out routine and be consistent. The forums have several sources of good info for this.
Don't leave the door keys in the trailer. Sometimes when you slam the door from the outside the deadbolt slides into place enough to jam the door. Then you'll need a can-opener.
When driving, always see how to get out of a place (gas station, restaurant) before you turn in.
When backing, keep your hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.
And #1: Use these forums as an excellent source of wisdom and support. The search is a little funky (I use Google search and add Airstream to my search term and it usually finds great forum articles. This forum has been a godsend to us. Just don't ask what tow vehicle to buy or what tires to use on the AS. ;-) (It's like talking religion around here!)

Happy and safe travels!

Brad

Happy and safe travels to you!

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Mary - Brad's post triggered one more suggestion for getting acquainted with your AS. I was somewhat intimidated about learning how to back my trailer up. I have a friend who is a rancher and since they tow all sorts of things and drive larger rigs, he took me out to a dirt parking lot and taught me the correct way to back my unit up. He also brought long rope and simulated parking spots for me and then put me through my paces for about 3 -4 hours. After that, I was much more confident and now I get compliments on how well I do backing the unit into place.... Since you live in SD, there might be some ranchers around who could give you some pointers. Just a thought.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #149
maryc4146

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
I would like to thank everyone for all their wonderful suggestions. I'm hoping to visit a couple rally's this summer and pick up some valuable knowledge. This forum has been extremely helpful. Thank you everyone! Take care, Mary
Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Shower Door Panic Reliever

Hi Mary,

Here's a few pictures of our shower door lock removal at each stop. We just put it on the load in /load out checklists and we ALWAYS put it in the same place. That works well with a lot of things.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Door Holder1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	180741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Door Holder2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	180742  

Name:	Shower Door Holder3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	180743  
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #151
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Carlotta

Greetings, it's been a while ( long story) I hope your well and enjoying your travels. Love to hear about your adventures.
Larry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3007067005.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	195330  
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #152
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h70man View Post
Carlotta

Greetings, it's been a while ( long story) I hope your well and enjoying your travels. Love to hear about your adventures.
Larry.

~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Well hi Larry! It's great to get your post. I'm well. I hope this finds you good too! I'll post a PM on your profile to share more. I'll chat soon. Take care.
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #153
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Newly single, my SO never liked to camp. I have always loved it. We even bought an RV and he went once so I gave it up. Now I would love to get back to camping again.
How is it camping alone? As a woman, do you ever worry about dangerous situations? Is it odd being alone in a camping site where all others aren't?
I love camping but don't want to feel lonely or odd surrounded by families and couples LOL
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I go solo and have so much fun! I dont get a chance to get lonely because im so busy with people coming to see the trailer, chat etc. I have to hang up my Do Not Disturb sign to take a nap! Have met great people and theres always someone to help if needed. I think I have more fun solo than I did camping with someone.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Hi, we just had widowed woman in her sixties join our WBCCI unit. At our unit officer installation dinner she told us that she had just bought a one ton dually and a 34' Airstream. and was looking forward to traveling. She also said that the best advice that she had gotten was to go to a thrift store and buy the largest pair of mens shoes she could find, at least size 15, to leave outside the trailer door at night. I do not believe that any of the Airstream groups, WBCCI or The Airstream Club, would cause you to feel lonely or out of place
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Is there still interest out there for a singles site? Would love to connect more with other adventurous minded souls...Looking to be on the road next fall...Suggestions for best places for newbies to start?? I am in Eugene, Oregon...and am so excited....
atheness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hi atheness! I live in Eugene, too!! Fun! I'm excited for you and all the adventures that lie ahead. Go for it!! I've towed my Bambi solo, over 20k miles in the past 3 years. One time to NYC to see my daughter. Then I hit a few different states on the way back. It was so much fun!!! Anyway if you want to grab a cup of coffee sometime, just holler. I'm staying put until after February. If you're thinking of taking off, there are lots of Airstream rallies all winter down in California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. You can find out more about them here on the rally site. Good luck and have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #158
2 Rivet Member

, Montana
Renovating a 68 Silver Steak Continental Rocket . Ready to leave Montana for the pacific west. Just turned 50 and looking for a new adventure. I want to turn Rocket into my tiny home. I'm a dame on a mission! (Even though I have no idea what I'm doing!)
RocketCramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singles