Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Smile Hello Solos, I'm one now

Hello,

My husband and I have been Airstreamers, 1973 Sovereign, for the last few years but RVers for many years. In 2010, took an 8 mo. trip into the sunset, from Texas to the West Coast and to Canada. Unfortunately, he died last year.

The Airstream has been in storage for a year, but last weekend I overcame my fears and took it out for the first time. Things went well.

I am a radio DJ and would like to use it for mobile streaming and a mobile recording studio. Could cover festivals, record interviews, edit them right there and post. Do you know of anyone else doing this?

Also wish I had a guy to have airstream adventures with.

I like music, scuba diving, the ocean and beach, travel, writing and stand up comedy.
Red Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Good for you. You can do it.

Sorry about the loss of your husband. Hope that you find a man to share life and your adventures with.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A Stand Up comic? Around here? You will do swell!

Our sincere condolences on loss of your husband / soulmate.

Regarding setup for transmitting your DJ gig, how much equipment do you need access to during show? If you have that close at hand you could pot the rest in other places where you can power and cool.

I thinking "black box" for the heart of the system. Then run control wiring to your "board".

There is a group here called "Keal case" http://kealcases.com/
They can build to your specs. This can make whole show as portable as you like. You can add a pad to the case and have a sofa!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm sorry for your loss.

It must have been very hard to take that first trip, but you did it. Just keep the momentum. I don't know enough about being a DJ to offer any advice, but I see a few others are already starting with that.

Don't be too worried about problems with the Airstream, but do get a couple of good checklists for maintenance schedules, safety checks (like putting new batteries in smoke detectors, etc.) and hitching/unhitching safely (to avoid the screeching sound of a stabilizer jack being dragged down a campground road.)

Do try to go to a forum rally or two. There are more couples than singles, but campers are friendly either way. It's not impossible to find friends or perhaps more around a campfire. Of course you're always glad to see friends again and again.

Remember, go slow enough to be safe and enjoy the scenery, respect the turn radius and additional braking distance required, and initially - avoid heavy traffic if at all possible.

Happy trails. Paula
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

1973 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you so much for your advice and kind words. I plan to continue to gain confidence.
Happy Trails,
Red Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry for the loss of your husband.

You've taken a big first step. Good luck to you.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I'm so sorry for your loss--I have thought about what I would do in your situation, and I hope I would have your courage.

We're in College Station for several months, and I've never met such friendly, helpful, lovely people as here in Texas. I'm sure your fellow Texan Airstreamers will be glad to help you out if you need it.

Excelsior!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

Des Moines , Washington
I am so sorry for your loss. But I do have to say: You Go Girl! I would start with a dog. Good men are hard to find. When you least expect it he will come. But 4 legged creatures give unconditional love. I would start there. And I wish you the best with your travels and work opportunities!
Katesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Sorry for the loss but you have the memories and that will last forever!

Congrats on pulling out your Airstream, make your checklists, take your time and take a friend with you on the first trip or two just for a second set of eyeballs.

Looking forward to "hearing" ya from the road!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
katesie nailed it, a good man is hard to find. I have been doing solo rv travel for about 8 years and love it (about 3-4 months each year). I'm on my own schedule and meet many folks when on the road. And when you're on your own as a female, you will run in to quite a few situations where locals let you camp on their property. Enjoy your freedom!!
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I have my meager little recording studio in my 26' Argosy. Record music and over dub video work.
Wanderingjee is offline   Reply With Quote