Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #61
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Brad - good to hear from you. Don't think of Arizona as a fly fishing meca, but my ignorance is a perfect excuse for you to school the thread on local opportunities. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #62
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There are plenty of opportunities to flyfish in Arizona although most of it is still water. Most of our moving water is too small and in such remote places, I'm just not able to hike in to. Some of the best still water fishing is on the Apache Indian Reservation, places like Earl Park, Hawley, Reservation, Sunrise Lakes. Plus you get the chance to catch the state's elusive Apache Trout.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #63
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quoted from Arizona's Fish & Game - Apache is one of Arizona’s two native trout species and is the Arizona state fish. Length: 6 to 24 inches. Weight: 6 ounces to almost 6 pounds.

Agree with that hiking problem. Old age does have it's disadvantages. And that is the reason to make a call out for camp grounds next to trout water. Though the concept can result in tight quarters and combat fishing is not the preference of many. But wouldn't the experience of old age be an advantage in that effort?

So, do you tie your own? Have you moved to streamers yet? What's your best fish story? What .......? Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Another suggestion for camping right along the River is the Gravel Pit just South of Last Chance, ID. This is on the Henry’s Fork of the Snake River. It will be crowded in late June for the Green Drake hatch, but good fishing after that as well with some of the other hatches that will come along.

This would be a Boondocking situation . . .

This photo was snapped on our way out of that spot last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CC45A40-9505-4034-98BB-5ED962F575B7.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	302618  
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #65
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Looks like an interesting area. Thanks for posting. Pat
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Would like to expand the region...may have to start a new tread for Midwest U.S. Fly Fishing Airstreams. Do want to hijack this thread. [emoji6]

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #67
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
FBF - this thread was not posted for over a year. No reason to not expand the interest. We travel and would appreciate info on other areas. May not be of value for a while, but of interest now. Go, go, go!

We saw a team entering a stream to try a bit of line work when we went covered bridge visiting. It's not just Montana where folks like to fly fish.

A good fish story puts a smile on your face, just like a shiny does. Pat
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
westlake village , California
fly fishing

I hope to start doing some fly tying while traveling and fishing. Can anyone recommend a good vice or tool set. As with most stuff these days there are a multitude of choices and it hard to discern what is really necessary and what is nice but not necessary. I know it does not pay to go cheap but I also don't want to drop a ton of money if I don't have to. A good case to contain everything while traveling would make my wife happy. Any help would be appreciated.
goneupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following...

Early June, fly fishing the Rio Grande near South Fork, CO and Curecanti National Recreation Area on the Gunnison River. Have a still-water fly fishing trip set up for Turquoise Lake near Leadville in late June. Fly fish the Arkansas River north of Salida in late July. Sill need to set up more trips as the state and national park campground window opens for August through October.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Dave, No FOLLOWING! We need leaders ..... Have not heard much about the Rio Grand, so interested to hear how your CO experience turns out. Kind of looking at the rivers off I70, but that's partly due to a lecture provided recently. The small streams off the Million Dollar highway are also reported to be fun for small fish.

GUN - went with the Cabella's tying kit. Not expensive and the pieces are there in a convenient box. After you use it for a while, you will understand what works best for you. Fly gear can get expensive in a hurry. Step 1 is to decide if low labor costs or supporting American sources best suits your budget and objectives. Just about anything that will hold a hook will work. However if your need is high volume, your feature list will grow. Having a carry vice and another for winter inventory production may be your approach. I just wanted something with which to learn the skill. Note - some fly fishing groups provide lessons and offer loaners that you can use to learn and purchase if you like them.

Sun came out today - time to get out and about a bit. Pat
Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
It must be Friday! You had me for a minute there - "No Following, we need leaders" then I got it (and the double entendre).

Your comment on the Million Dollar Highway reminded me, that same trip, we are avoiding the $M-H (cause it scares my wife to death) and going up Highway 145 along the Delores River. We are stopping at Priest Gulch for an afternoon of fishing then headed to Curecanti the next day. Delores is supposed to have some very good fishing. We'll see...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #72
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
There is a nice looking park on the Delores, but my Montana guides say it is too shallow there. We went North to Ewing Gulch and found some deeper pools. Nephew caught a small one immediately, but that was the total of our hits for the day. Pat
Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
I'm still just a baby airstreamer, but I know flyfishing the west.

First of all, you don't necessarily want to camp right on the river. There's a reason a stream makes a good trout stream, and it is almost always in large part because of clean, cold water. Having lots of people right on the banks doesn't lend itself to clean, cold water.

Anywhere there is good fishing, there is likely to also be good camping. use any of hte campgrounds in Yellowstone, for instance, and then just make the short drive to where you want to fish. With rare exceptions there is somewhere worth fishing in the Park any time it is open to vehicle traffic and camping. Facilities vary from nothing but a spot to park and a picnic table to full hook ups.

But fishing in the park is just the start. There are mutliple USFS campgrounds along the Gallatin River between W. Yellowstone and Bozeman on Rt. 191. The Gallatin is probably my favorite river in the west, and fishes exceedingly well from when the run off finally lets up (usually early to mid-July) until the run off starts again in the spring. There are campgrounds all along the Madison, along Rt. 287 ranging from "rustic" USFS campgrounds to full-servic eprivate joints.

But if you're in the area to fish you owe it to yourself to head over to Idaho to fish the entire Island Park area and all the way down to St. Anthony, Idaho. Lots of campgrounds over there too.

In fact, just buy and watch this video to get inspiration. The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway. Once you've hit the tourist spots, and if you're ready for some boondocking, head into Idaho. right after Memorial Day go to Picabo, Idaho, boondock at Hayspur Hatchery and fish Silver Creek. It's highly technical, match the hatch fishing and one of the few places where two-foot long trout still rise to tiny dry flies. After that gets too frustrating, head up the Wood River towards Ketchum and Sun Valley, fish the Wood. From there head on north to Stanley, Idaho. USFS campgrounds that offer the most scenic views in the entire U.S. No, I'm not exaggerating. Ignore the Salmon River, fish Valley Creek and Marsh Creek for an "Idaho grand slam" (rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout in the same day, add a brookie for a grand slam plus). My preferred camping is at Stanley Lake. You'll be boondocking but at least you can use the pit toilets and save your black tank. You'll also be treating yourself to the finest night skies to be had almost anywhere.

How adventurous your feeling at that point will drive your next moves. You can head back towards civilization if you want. But really you should go the other way and drive up to Bear Valley Creek. You'll be taking good quality dirt roads to Fir Creek Campground. Admire the fence that keeps you yahoos from trampling down th ebanks of Bear Valley Creek, I helped build that sucker. Don't worry, plenty of holes in the fence so you can get to the creek and chase the native redband rainbows. Again, no services here other than the pit toilet, but you filled up on propane and gas for the generator in Stanely so you're good for a week right?

After that, if you're ready for some civilization come on down to Boise. There's a few campgrounds/trailer parks around. Including one right near hte Boise River, which is great fishing, but will be a letdown after a few weeks fishing the mountain streams. Instead, have some good beers, enjoy our small city and plan your next adventure. You're driving north from Boise on U.S. 55 to McCall. Stay near McCall a few days if you'd like, it's a nice little mountain resort town. Rent a boat, go hiking, hang out on one of the beaches. Find Lick Creek Road (also known as Forest road 48). There's dispersed camping all along that road, including near Little Payette Lake just outside of town. Some awesome hikes along that road too, but they tend to be steep. They lead to some awe inspiring mountain lakes that almost always have rainbows or cutthroat trout, an dsometimes surprisingly, even shockingly large ones. Farther up that road there's Lake Fork Campground. Again no services, but it's a great place to basecamp anyway. Drive up to Box Lake Trailhead. Hike in to Box lake and fish it i fyou can (brutal hike, very steep, only 6 miles or so, but tough trail). If you check your maps, you'll see that Lick Creek Road/FR 48 leads you over to the Salmon River country and you can eventually work your way down to Warm Lake where you'll check in to Shoreline Campground and spend a few days recovering from your adventure.

If you're still lloking for more to do after that, drop me a line.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #74
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
James - Fantastic report! Filed for future reference and planning. Adds much to the groups knowledge and considerably to my own limited pool. Video is quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Pat
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
James, thanks! Sure makes me want to load up, hitch up, and head west. I'm bookmarking your info as noted by Pat.

Anyone have similar information on great access camps convenient to Driftless trout streams? I've been searching and found a few. More frequent we find scary tight campgrounds in Wisconsin. I'm completely open to boondocking but most land is private.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
James, very interesting. Do you have any suggestions for North Idaho. Like to stay in the Newport/ Sandpoint area and would be interested in any spot within a reasonable drive from there
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #77
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
James,
Great info, and filed away. The movie was great, I went ahead and ordered the DVD. We usually camp in CO or WY because they are closer. But with retirement coming in less than 2 years, I'll have time to visit ID. CO is getting pretty crowded at times. Thanks for the info.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
James, very interesting. Do you have any suggestions for North Idaho. Like to stay in the Newport/ Sandpoint area and would be interested in any spot within a reasonable drive from there
I do not know North Idaho as well as I'd like to. I hvae spent some time on Priest Lake, and it is absolutely gorgeous. There are both Forest Service and private campgrounds on the Lake, depending on what you want. I don't know how the Lake fishes, but I would imagine any of the streams that feed it are full of trout. If you haul a boat, even a canoe, bring it along. Boat up to Upper Priest Lake, one of the prettiest places anywhere.

For exceptional flyfishing in North Idaho (but farther south than Sandpoint) I cannot recommend highly enough the N. Fork of the Clearwater River and Kelly Creek. Long drives on dirt USFS roads to get there, and typical USFS campgrounds (meaning you get a place to park a fire ring and a picnic table) right on the river. Kelly Creek is full of good-sized cutthroats, rainbows and cuttbows that are not picky about what they eat.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #79
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
James - great addition to the prior information. Another winner! Pat
Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #80
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
These are all great reports and I truly appreciate everyone who takes the time to add to this thread. As for an inexpensive but quality vise that is made for the road, I have the Renzetti Traveler. The only vise I use whether at home or on the road. As for my tying materials, I've converted a plastic tackle box that has two trays on each side when you open it up. I holds the vise too.

Keep the info coming. Retirement is not too far off.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote