Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Question Virginia Airstream Support Group

There are a number of us, both Byam and not, who'd like to join and participate in a Commonwealth-wide support group. We'd like to share comments, tips, service experiences, and the like in a "private" forum. We'd like to minimize carping, gripes, and general unpleasantness by being supportive of each other, no matter what our experience level might be.

Am I smoking the drapes?

~GH
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Why can't the this Forum do as you suggest? I would think that was the original purpose...
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Greg,

So we can't mention trucks, hitches, generators, barking dogs, or GYMs?

I'm in.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Amish say, "Only good wood splits." Rotten wood just falls apart. Sure.. it would be easy to form yet another subgroup, but all groups evolve or de-volve, and IMHO it would split my energy (what's left of it) and focus.

I would be all for some more local rallies, etc. But why not do ot within the forum? Also.getting people from the far west (Bristol VA/TN) to rally with folks like me in Va. Beach... 10 hour drive!

Paula
Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Greg,

So we can't mention trucks, hitches, generators, barking dogs, or GYMs?

I'm in.

Pat
1+, I'm in.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Is there gonna be a separate one for each of the other 49 states?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Is there gonna be a separate one for each of the other 49 states?
Probably the Hawaii forum will be a little slow to take off...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I was told that there was no politics or arguing at forum rally's.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If I'm traveling through Virginia, do I get to use the Private forum? Do I actually have to spend the night to qualify? Inquiring minds want to know

=======

On a practical basis, Regional forums might also work. Having a forum for Delaware vs Maryland likely is counter productive. Exactly how you slice and dice things will always be a bit arbitrary. Most of Maryland is closer to me than most of Pennsylvania both in terms of population.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I can't think of anything to comment on.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
There are a number of us, both Byam and not, who'd like to join and participate in a Commonwealth-wide support group. We'd like to share comments, tips, service experiences, and the like in a "private" forum. We'd like to minimize carping, gripes, and general unpleasantness by being supportive of each other, no matter what our experience level might be.

Am I smoking the drapes?

~GH
So this forum you speak of would only share the "GOOD" experiences. No objective views at all no matter the subject? Interesting concept but to me I need the other side of the coin experiences in life to have a comprehensive view of the world around me. Good luck to you and all who follow!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
So this forum you speak of would only share the "GOOD" experiences. No objective views at all no matter the subject? Interesting concept but to me I need the other side of the coin experiences in life to have a comprehensive view of the world around me. Good luck to you and all who follow!
Hi

Just how many shouting matches does one have to "listen to" each week on the subject of best hitch or best truck in order to remain objective? Toss in any of the few dozen other rant topics if you wish. They all seem to go on forever and ever. Nothing new comes up and nonsense generally outweighs facts by a large margin. If that's what you enjoy, good for you. A new thread likely was just started as I'm typing this.

Bob
Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just how many shouting matches does one have to "listen to" each week on the subject of best hitch or best truck in order to remain objective? Toss in any of the few dozen other rant topics if you wish. They all seem to go on forever and ever. Nothing new comes up and nonsense generally outweighs facts by a large margin. If that's what you enjoy, good for you. A new thread likely was just started as I'm typing this.

Bob
I understand that Bob, I'm just saying sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. It's not that I enjoy that type of repetitive nonsense at all, just saying what good would it be if it's a looking through rose colored glasses. I need to hear someone's bad experience with the subject if they have one to get a better picture. If I am understanding it correctly this unique forum would like to keep all that a minimum or have none at all, and I say good luck everyone!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Virginia - interesting state. KOA in Virginia Beach worked well for us. The trip through the tunnel was not too restrictive as the propane inspection went quickly. The trip on 64 West got a bit slow in a major jam. Expect that was a normal weekend problem. We figured out later we could have checked out the Dismal Swamp. Next trip todo for sure. We'll be back. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Jinx, I was thinking along these lines a few months ago when I started this thread in the Rally area of the forum >> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...va-174970.html

Thoughts?
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Wbcci Tidewater Virginia breakout rally

This rally is the 16,17,18th at the Heritage RV camp in Williamsburg.
Blue Ridge chapter will be camping at Newport News city park.
My first Wbcci rally. I can’t wait!
I’m going to hitch up Sunday morning and go to the High Bridge Trail State Park.
Having a meet up,to ride my bike over the railroad bridge,across the Appomattox river.
The 23 fb makes a perfect base camp for dressing,bathroom and all important after beer with North Carolina bbq sandwiches.
Then head home before dusk.
That’s what I call Airstream fun!
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
This rally is the 16,17,18th at the Heritage RV camp in Williamsburg.
Blue Ridge chapter will be camping at Newport News city park.
My first Wbcci rally. I can’t wait!
I’m going to hitch up Sunday morning and go to the High Bridge Trail State Park.
Having a meet up,to ride my bike over the railroad bridge,across the Appomattox river.
The 23 fb makes a perfect base camp for dressing,bathroom and all important after beer with North Carolina bbq sandwiches.
Then head home before dusk.
That’s what I call Airstream fun!
NICE That is this month? I can't make it, I'm a sponsor at Hell of Hunterdon in NJ that weekend but I like the sound of NC BBQ.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
I understand that Bob, I'm just saying sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. It's not that I enjoy that type of repetitive nonsense at all, just saying what good would it be if it's a looking through rose colored glasses. I need to hear someone's bad experience with the subject if they have one to get a better picture. If I am understanding it correctly this unique forum would like to keep all that a minimum or have none at all, and I say good luck everyone!
Hi

Based on talking to people at campsites around the area. Something like 90% of them are shocked when I mention being on this forum. The uniform response is "I was on it for a while and got fed up with all the nonsense". I do very much see their point. Civil discourse is one thing. Repeating the same nonsense as much as it is done here is something very different.

That said, it is hardly the nuttiest forum I've ever been on. There are lot that are worse. The point is that not everybody does a couple dozen forums a day. Few have been doing it for 40+ years. Not everybody has run one of these beasts themselves. (yes, I check all those boxes). By normal (non forum) standards, they do look a bit odd.

One of the most basic advantages a forum format has over a mailing list is the ability to create areas. Using that ability to enhance things is *not* an unusual thing to do.

Bob
Old 03-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Virginia Airstream Support Group & Mid-Atlantic Streamers: MD, DC, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Jinx, I was thinking along these lines a few months ago when I started this thread in the Rally area of the forum >> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...va-174970.html

Thoughts?
I think both forums are of the same thoughts.

Maybe sub-forums can be added that have specific topics this way one knows what to contribute to there.
romaa.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaa.13 View Post
I think both forums are of the same thoughts.

Maybe sub-forums can be added that have specific topics this way one knows what to contribute to there.
I like that.

All we need is a admin. Would it work to create the mid-atlantic forum and va sub-forum?