Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #81
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Shawn and I communicated via PM last night regarding just that. I was involved in the setup of a private forum here and it works very well to this day. I gave him the info he needs to look into it for the TAC.
Yup, I'm all over this -- already contacted the moderator in question, and will keep everyone updated as to the progress.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Shawn,

Keep your head up! The majority appreciates what you are doing. As Dave had found out, some just want to voice their opinions and you both will get the brunt of it. Just remember, we the silent ones do support your efforts and appreciate you sharing your talents. Please keep a thick skin with these things, it is hard to take criticism but we need to be open to everyone’s opinion both pro and con.

It is my belief that a Website and Magazine is advertising and shows legitimacy. This past summer I have spoke to many potential members that own Airstreams however, they know nothing of Airforums. I think this is a great idea and a fun way to keep members involved and excited about the club. Airforums is a great place for some things but reading members arguing with one another is NOT a selling point to become an active member. A one sided sharing of information is much more productive in recruitment and retention. If members choice to become vocal then they can and are encouraged to participate in a forum thread, (both to support and to oppose ideas.)

The idea that we need to be so polar opposite of the other club boggles my mind. Just because I hate Burger King does not mean I HAVE TO hate McDonalds. They both serve burgers but both have very different tastes. TAC will parallel some things, not because we want to be like that club. It will parallel because it is a CLUB (a group of like minded individuals that want to share like minded ideas and have fun.)

Shawn, Dave, Rob, Frank and everyone else KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and THANK YOU.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
What exactly is that goal? Docs/Groups cannot/shouldn't be grouped together -- I think you have to decouple the website from forum/discussion -- one (i.e. groups) was lumped on after the fact.
Not a knock on your work at all...

It's one of those things where the tools google provides are accessible and easy to use, but somehow still... unsatisfactory. I think it's what happens when coders/programmers try to make tools for the "Rest Of Us."

(Which is hard for me to say when I have 20+ webservers sat on the rack behind me.)
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #84
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
It's one of those things where the tools google provides are accessible and easy to use, but somehow still... unsatisfactory. I think it's what happens when coders/programmers try to make tools for the "Rest Of Us."
Or when coders/programmers try and use tools created by coders/programmers that they think will work for the "Rest Of You" is more like it.....it all works perfectly in my head!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post

Shawn, Dave, Rob, Frank and everyone else KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and THANK YOU.
Thanks Nick, for the words of encouragement. I would like to add my 2 cents here, in that I can see where all this is going! Those of us who have been WB members can see what happens when too much control is exerted on an organization. The reaction of folks to the question at hand can be seen as a direct relationship to their good or bad experiences with other national organizations, whether that is Airstream related or any other. From my perspective, the Airstream experience is moving in a free market direction. Pull the plug on conformity and let the entrapenurial spirit move the masses. People everywhere are looking to find their own kind, "Airstreamers"!!! Whether it’s for recreation, hobby time or just admiration, Airstreams and Airstreamers of all ages are flocking together in celebrations all across the continent and even the world. The question of organization outside of a purely local group of associates (3 hrs driving time) does not need to be addressed in my opinion! As the bonds of association for that local group become stronger and create that regional identity there may be both desire and opportunity to merge. Putting an artificial structure together before there is any interest may take away from the local experience! Not only are there different local associations but they are brought together through the efforts of different individuals and different mediums. We have clubs, services, forums and groups of friends, all organizing, gathering, enjoying and reporting success. This is all extremely productive and is a world apart from the more formal Airstream Club the WBCCI. Just recently they announced the closing down, permanently, of any forums or media in which the membership might participate. That forum is moving to the commercial site of the originator and will stand on its own merits against all the other free market organizations surfacing! It’s a great time to be an Airstream owner, as choice has now entered the picture where few had existed before! Hopefully we can stay on the positive side and reap the benefits of the talents and volunteer time of the many folks who now feel energized by that freedom for which the Airstream and the Airstream way of life touted by its founder, have for so long been associated !

Thanks to all who contribute!

WAM
Freelance Airstreamer
wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote