Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Thank you Gene for a really well thought out and clearly expressed post.

There are big implications to even quite small and innocuous things that may be said here and in the mag. It is important that I consult widely, and respond as neutrally as I can in my "editor" capacity, and set that aside from my personal views. Sometimes they're in conflict. When they are, my views take second place to the majority view, because I'm not writing "Dave's Mag" - I'm writing "The TAC Mag."

This is why I had to put the questions front and center as I did. Obviously, I was a little naive and inexpert in wording some things, as my take on "the issues" is different from some others. I'm learning.

Here's a proposal:

Rallies: Organized by an individual or group, in advance.
Meets: "I'll be at..." self-organized get-togethers.
No geographical areas: People know what state they live in and what states they can travel to, so put the state in the title. If it's a caravan, list the states in trip order.

Any problems with that idea, or better ideas?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post

Rallies: Organized by an individual or group, in advance.
Meets: "I'll be at..." self-organized get-togethers.
Defining things is hard. Rally one is ok but may need more info. "Meets" and "get-together" imply some organization to me and that's why I choose to avoid commonly used words. I'm not sure what "self-organized" means, but it seems to confer responsibility for some organization. "I'll be at … " says only where someone will be and has minimal liability (maybe). It has the advantage of not being defined previously as an organized event. It could be listed long in advance, such as "I'll be at Yosemite October 18 for 3 nights at the Upper Pines CG. Contact me if you'll be there" (actually that's true, but I'm not organizing anything).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #43
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Will there really be Caravans? Ones that are geared toward families with children? Sorry, just something that I do not remember having seen mentioned in TAC threads before... and something I could get excited about.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
(actually that's true, but I'm not organizing anything).
*grins*

He found the spot that suited him, and pulled over. Stepping down from his truck, he enjoyed the coolness of the air as the evening started to close in.

Then, his senses alerted. What was it? He became aware of a shimmering on the horizon, dust, and a low rumble rising up from the ground. The horizon looked like a thousand, shiny beetles.

"Oh crap," he said to himself, as the silver specs came closer and started circling. "Airstreamers."
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Will there really be Caravans? Ones that are geared toward families with children? Sorry, just something that I do not remember having seen mentioned in TAC threads before... and something I could get excited about.
I'm organizing a true caravan next fall, following the entire Natchez Trace from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. It is 100% open and supportive of families with children of any age.

Rally Calendar Link

I will also be organizing a full caravan of the entire length of Historic Route 66, where enough route exists to make it possible. That will be in 2012.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #46
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Mid-August to June 1 is out for us with school age kids. Except Christmas & Spring Break.....

But maybe something will be planned for the summer. Maybe when the route 66 rolls thru OKC we could join for a few days but we will be sure to watch the procession!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
I'm glad there's others out there that want to caravan and have concerns about doing in the schedule of kids (school). It is a pain the ^&$ and unless we're willing to sacrifice the attendance records of our children, homeschool, or plan around the school calendar...we're stuck with no caravans. I can't blame the planners for this. You do it when you can and that doesn't always coincide with the school year.

Quote:
I will also be organizing a full caravan of the entire length of Historic Route 66, where enough route exists to make it possible. That will be in 2012.
eeesch, I'd love to do both, but for the reason mentioned above (no fault of yours) I just can't to the time frame. Maybe in 10 years.

Quote:
Mid-August to June 1 is out for us with school age kids. Except Christmas & Spring Break.....
Preach on, brother.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm sure there'll be at least two or three caravans during the summer vacation - we should start a separate thread for this.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #49
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
we should start a separate thread for this.
You are right, it does deserve it's own thread!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #50
Still wears a thong

don't get all fancy

no structure, just keep us posted on what's going on, where & what to bring. that's enough. i want some dancin' though, like square dancing where I get passed from man to man.
Mrs. Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #51
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut View Post
no structure, just keep us posted on what's going on, where & what to bring. that's enough. i want some dancin' though, like square dancing where I get passed from man to man.
Can you teach square dancin.... I can only do old line dances!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #52
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut View Post
.... i want some dancin' though, like square dancing where I get passed from man to man.
That doesn't sound very "square" at all.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I'm glad there's others out there that want to caravan and have concerns about doing in the schedule of kids (school). It is a pain the ^&$ and unless we're willing to sacrifice the attendance records of our children, homeschool, or plan around the school calendar...we're stuck with no caravans. I can't blame the planners for this. You do it when you can and that doesn't always coincide with the school year.
A a teacher who once took his four kids out of school for 5 weeks to Airstream to Alaska and Yukon, I say take them out if that's all that's stopping you from a good adventure. Five years later my kids have lots of great memories of the trip, and no ill effects of missing school. I can't imagine anything that could have happened at school that would have come close to the experiences we had. My kids were in grades 2, 5 and 7 at the time.
Our oldest has just started university, and while we'll continue to travel with the three who are still home, the time for all of us going on an extended trip together has probably passed. I'm glad we did it when we could.

(sorry for getting off topic!)

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I always felt the same way too. My oldest now in 7th grade has had "a lot of colds" on thursday and friday over the past few years. She had to go to a "doctors appointment" a few weeks ago and just yesterday she told us that we needed to schedule them better because one day away from her GT classes was killing her, two was crushing. She takes her school work very serious, and the Honor Roll is the result. Life experience is a good thing and I am all for it, but she has reached an age where school is very important to her. I guess an epic 5 week trip would need to be during the three months she is out of school. Glad to hear it worked for you, but missing that much school is just not realistic in my household.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I guess an epic 5 week trip would need to be during the three months she is out of school. Glad to hear it worked for you, but missing that much school is just not realistic in my household.
I should clarify that this was the last five weeks of the school year, and the older two completed a couple of assignments on the road (related to the trip) and emailed them in to their teachers. In Ontario report cards are written a couple of weeks before school ends, so missing the last 5 weeks of school is not as serious as missing 5 weeks in the middle of the year. In Ontario we only get two months of summer holidays - school goes from the day after Labour Day to the end of June.

I've heard that some school districts/states really discourage parents from taking their children out of school for family vacations, but I think in many cases children learn more on these trips than they do in the classroom.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #56
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Most states here, have an attendance minimum. If you miss more days without a Doctors note you child can be held back no matter how good they are doing. I not sure what our current district's minimum days but it is usually around 15 days of unexcused absence.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #57
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I should also clarify that my wife and I feel strongly about the merit of real life education. We have never regretted the absences connected to Airstreaming. My daughter has come to the age however that missing a day or two drastically affects her. We have a rally coming up and where we usually create an excuse to miss, we no longer feel we can. As a result we will be coming in on friday late. Sports has also put a wrinkle in the plan too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #58
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I should also clarify that my wife and I feel strongly about the merit of real life education. We have never regretted the absences connected to Airstreaming. My daughter has come to the age however that missing a day or two drastically affects her. We have a rally coming up and where we usually create an excuse to miss, we no longer feel we can. As a result we will be coming in on friday late. Sports has also put a wrinkle in the plan too.
That real life education is one of the reasons we got an A/S. That and the realization that the time we have with the kids is flying by. Also, we have so little time with the kids when they consider us cool/exciting.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Quote:

Frank there is a season for everything. All of are kids are off to college now. Elaine and I have lots of time now and the house is mighty quiet. I miss the popcorn casseroles at the games though. Enjoy and cherish it while you can, it will be over before you know it.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This seems more and more to be recreating the old format. How on earth did we get a magizne, websit, yahoo group, and people thinking about regions? There is a club for folks who need sure things. What is needed is one that avoids such stuff. The forums is an adequate location for rally informaiton and I don't see any need for any other.
If all the work fulls on a few people for big events and they are unhappy then don't have big events. Frankly I am concerned that the natural tendency to create policy (and thus political transactions) is growing and will soon dominate this "club". I was hoping it would be and stay different.

PS put me down as MAL....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote