Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think Airforums now should be our communication network and TAC our get-together group,club what ever you want to call it. We also have camped with Rob and Zoe and Dragonwagon Dave and CJ and Airboss,loudruff ,silver sister,Soldier Medic, the the list is long.GREAT PEOPLE to be with. Im really glad we are TAC,ie .We are looking forward to meeting even more new TAC IE friends this season.
TAC ON
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
One big difference between TAC and Airforums is that you will most likely get to camp with the founding members of TAC. I have yet to see Andy R show up anywhere for a rally to support his own members.
Quite honestly many of the moderators have been here from the early days of the forum. I've been here over 8 years at this point. While we aren't technically the founding members...only one person here is the founder as you mentioned, we are all campers at heart and you will find that the mods are out there at various rallies through out the year either as organizers or active participants. In many cases Airforums has supported the membership at rallies through give aways, attendance prizes, etc. So while you may not have met Andy personally, he has touched many of these events in ways that some of you may not be aware of.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The internet has promoted a new type of decentralization through it's communications function. TAC is an outgrowth of that. How it will develop cannot be known now. I can handle a bit of chaos.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
r a North American caravan from Alaska to Mexico City. I'd love to see TAC have a presence at Burning Man...
Both are on out list. Would not consider the costly "all the handholding and entertainment you don't want approach". How about a North American Coastal Tour. People could join up and leave as they wish. East coast from new Brunswich to Key West to Houston to Mexico to Portland, to Denali and back across Canada. We have been looking at this for four years. Given the world is ending 12/22/2012 maybe I need to get started.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Will TAC be anything more than a loose association of "members" supporting an annual "birthday bash". To be anything more it takes vision, drive, stategic planning, etc.

Will TAC be just a "Flash in the Pan"?
Bluebird, aren't you supposed to ask these questions before you join?

IL-2
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
Bluebird, aren't you supposed to ask these questions before you join?

IL-2
NSWhite:

That doesn't matter as a grievance will probably be filed against me and I will be expelled. For that matter, all of the clubs can throw me out.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Mister Mike:

The "Flash in the Pan" thread is about staying power. Will TAC have any relevant staying power. No matter what we like or dislike about the WBCCI it has had staying power.

Hope this clarifies.
Hey Bluebird; Enron had staying power and then suddenly Magic Carpet lost all engines. I fail to see a problem from any point of view when it comes to starting a new club. Our reason for going camping is to get away from formalities, duties, daily life's demands and deceptive forms of politics into which we are being immersed in daily life. I want to camp with others who feel the same way about camping. It is about having fun. Will I run into people who can be difficult to like? Most likely, but you will find them in WBCCI as well. Will I find some to be unruly? Most likely. But it is not any different feeling from one when someone forces their will upon me in the name of WBCCI. It is a free Country. Folks want to have fun in a new club, they can. If you have a problem with it, do not join. But you have no right to show any negativity toward something which has not had a chance to blossom. I believe however that no one has the solid reason yet for knocking this fledgling organization down. I do not like the way WBCCI is ruled and I never became a member. I do not complain because I have no right to do so. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
How about a North American Coastal Tour. People could join up and leave as they wish. East coast from new Brunswich to Key West to Houston to Mexico to Portland, to Denali and back across Canada. We have been looking at this for four years. Given the world is ending 12/22/2012 maybe I need to get started.

Sounds great! I'm in as long as you add CA coast or do you think it will be gone before you arrive ( :
Myrna
TAC-3
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
The letters are already out there Bluebird U just aint got yours yet. Wait till they find out you have TAC IL-1 behind your wb numbers . You are definitely in fer it now.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Quite honestly many of the moderators have been here from the early days of the forum. I've been here over 8 years at this point. While we aren't technically the founding members...only one person here is the founder as you mentioned, we are all campers at heart and you will find that the mods are out there at various rallies through out the year either as organizers or active participants. In many cases Airforums has supported the membership at rallies through give aways, attendance prizes, etc. So while you may not have met Andy personally, he has touched many of these events in ways that some of you may not be aware of.

Jack
Don't get me wrong Jack, I was only pointing a "difference". I really appreciate these forums and what it has done for me and my family. In fact, if it werent for these forums I would not be Airstreaming today. Even you Mod's are great people, except for the Richard guy out West...you have to really keep your eye on him.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was going to just let this thread go. I and many out there just do not want to get all wrapped up in politics.

The Airstreamer's Club was founded out of a need. It was started out of a request for something different than what has been offered in the past. It was also started because some said it could not be.

Will The Airstreamer's Club be a flash in the pan? Not sure. "Flash in the pan" is an interesting thing. It comes from the days of flint lock muskets. The guns were very unreliable and temperamental. In order to shoot the gun, a flint strikes a steel and ignites a pile of powder in a small pan next to the barrel. The hope was that the burning powder would then burn into the chamber and ignite the gun powder in the barrel thus causing a controlled explosion to send the musket ball at the target(the accuracy of these guns was not very good I might add). When the flint dropped it often failed to create a spark. Often the spark did not ignite the powder in the pan. Another thing that happened was the powder in the pan would be lit and would flame up, but the gun would not shoot because the flame failed to travel down into the chamber. Thats where the term "flash in the pan" comes from... a big spark and flare up with no bang. However another thing that often happened with these flint locks was that the "flash in the pan" occurred but the gun did not go off right away. Instead the powder(if slightly damp and course) would burn down the chamber one grain at a time. Because it did not go off right away, the shooter was thrown off and would be looking at the pan and not where he was aiming. The gun would then suddenly go off. Often during the revolutionary war men shot the guy in front of him because of loosing focus. The ideal situation was that you got your "flash in the pan", the gun fired, and you actually hit your target.

How great will the Airstreamer's Club be? That is up to you and what you make out of it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I think people missed my point. Moderation--like any supervision, oversight or control--changes behavior. In fact, forum moderation exists to ensure participant behavior conforms to an established set of norms. At this point, TAC is unstructured. The original comment I responded to was by SilverLeeper. She said TAC had "attitude" while the Airforums did not. I'm not sure what exactly this "attitude" is, but I'm not surprised someone might see it that way. Airforums (and the moderators) put considerable value on harmony. I'm not objecting or criticizing, just observing. TAC was formed in no small part due to the dissatisfaction with another Airstream Club, an organization where the attempt to impose "harmony" on some members was not universally appreciated. If TAC has more "attitude," I would guess it's because it's unstructured, open and free wheeling... and the "outlaw biker" Airstream owners who have joined thus far probably have more "attitude" than most. In the words of a great outlaw biker, PeeWee Herman, "I'm loner, Dottie, a rebel."
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
The original comment I responded to was by SilverLeeper. She said TAC had "attitude" while the Airforums did not.
Hi hampstead38, I actually resounded to you. Take a look here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f505...tml#post821756.

You also might what to take a closer look at my avatar.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I should be "she said", I think. Say that 5 times fast.
At any rate Hamp you did a great job of defining that extra edge of attitude. The by-line, "Dead Serious about having Fun" is fully appreciated and rich with irony and especially witty when you have the history in mind. Well said, all the way around. Good answer Frank too about flash in the pan. Very interesting too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
TAC will go on as long as we let it. I for one am proud to be a member, even though I haven't met (in person) any other members yet. I do plan on going to some of the "gatherings" "rallies" whatever you want to call them. I will have fun and I hope you do too. I will bring the karaoke equipment with me every time and if anyone wants me to "set up", I will and we will all have fun singing and laughing and carrying on like the TACky people we are.
Good luck with your negative attitude, I'll keep mine possitive thank you.
Sincerely
Dorian
TAC's unofficial KARAOKE Provider
DD.KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I saw your response, Lee, but didn't really understand it. You said if TAC were a forum, there would be moderators. I respectfully disagree. In fact, I think one of the primary reasons behind TAC is the desire for an Airstream club without "moderators." One of the challenges (and strengths) of TAC is the iconoclastic and independent members it will inevitably attract. Will the lack of structure and traditional "command-and-control" hierarchy work?

As for the avatar, the cartoon looked pretty "Victor/Victoria" to me and "Lee" is not a gender-specific name. Sorry that I guessed wrong.

Finally, I am a little disappointed by the decision to go with the state/number reference which feels little like imitating the red number thing. I'm more a fan of something less structured like allowing people to pick a word to paint on one's coach. In fact, that's what we'll probably end up doing.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I love Karoke!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
I saw your response, Lee, but didn't really understand it. You said if TAC were a forum, there would be moderators. I respectfully disagree. In fact, I think one of the primary reasons behind TAC is the desire for an Airstream club without "moderators." One of the challenges (and strengths) of TAC is the iconoclastic and independent members it will inevitably attract. Will the lack of structure and traditional "command-and-control" hierarchy work?

As for the avatar, the cartoon looked pretty "Victor/Victoria" to me and "Lee" is not a gender-specific name. Sorry that I guessed wrong.

Then I guess we are both in the same boat. I'm a bit lost by your response too.

No need to explain... I probably won't get it anyway.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #39
Certifiable

. , .
Wink "This is a most serious breach of etiquette."

Quote:
Finally, I am a little disappointed by the decision to go with the state/number reference which feels little like imitating the red number thing. I'm more a fan of something less structured like allowing people to pick a word to paint on one's coach. In fact, that's what we'll probably end up doing.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #40
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:

the good thing with the référence is that it does allow a mutual recognition when on the road or parked... in a random situation anyhow.

And I would feel comfy to knock at the door of someone that does have the TAC reference.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote