Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
TAC - Are You Different?

TAC (The Airstreamers Club) are you any different from AirForums?

Many don' t see how you are different other than the birthday bash. AirForums has numbers, TAC has numbers. AirForums has informal rallies (campouts). TAC has the birthday bash. TAC uses the AirForums for communication.

So TAC are you really any different?

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
I'm different...
TAC's unofficial KARAOKE Provider
DD.KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
TAC....it's a military thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
AirForums has numbers, TAC has numbers. AirForums has informal rallies (campouts). TAC has the birthday bash. TAC uses the AirForums for communication.....So TAC are you really any different?
TAC and AIR are very different animals. AIR is an online community and the Forums are a comprehensive repository for information, photos, technical data, other resources, etc. It is the first place I go to find out anything about Airstreams and if it isn't already in the archives I know I can ask without appearing to be ignorant. The "campouts" are just an added feature that I may never enjoy simply because I live in a part of this country where there may never be any of these get-togethers.

On the other hand TAC appears to be a free-form "no B.S." association of people who don't want the formality and other attributes of the WBCCI club. I also feel that the only requesite for "membership" should be a sincere interest in Airstreams and ownership not required. TAC has its own Yahoo group but I see it isn't being used very much. However it is not totally reliant on AIR for communications.

See my posting in your other thread on the subject of the durability of TAC for my feelings on why the WBCCI is not for me:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f505...tml#post821162

Will it last? I think so because with no dues comes no expectations. I hope it will. I am proud to be VT-1.

On the other hand AIR encompasses all areas of interest in Airstream. My perception of TAC is that many of the members are primarily interested in vintage Airstream trailers is my which is my area of interest. I think it is far preferable to have a nice restored 43 year-old Caravel than no Airstream at all because I could never justify spending 55K and up on a new one.

No one is saying that one entity is better than any other and I can only speak for myself on this question. Both AIR and TAC meet my needs in different ways. I would have never found our beloved 1968 Caravel if it weren't for AIRFORUMS and the friend I met pointed me to it. I'd still be looking or given up long ago.

I am very thankful for both resources that help me enjoy my wonderful Airstream trailer even more.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ok how does TAC differ from the rally's organized here at AirForums.

Think about The Can Opener 30 to 60+ units show up for the past 4 years.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
There are TAC members who are not AirForums members, so I suppose that's one way they are different.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
unique

I think that all Airstreamers are unique!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Apples and oranges. Airforums is an established online community. TAC is a brand new Airstream club.

It may help to think of it like this. Let's say there's a neighborhood taven where people go to drink, have a snack, etc. And let's say some of the people who may know one another from the bar decide to put together a softball team. The bar doesn't sponsor the team. The team doesn't play its games at the bar. You can play without ever stepping foot inside the bar; and you have a cold beer without an obligation to play softball. The Forum is a place to meet and talk; TAC happens out in the real world... or so I think.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Apples and oranges. Airforums is an established online community. TAC is a brand new Airstream club.

It may help to think of it like this. Let's say there's a neighborhood taven where people go to drink, have a snack, etc. And let's say some of the people who may know one another from the bar decide to put together a softball team. The bar doesn't sponsor the team. The team doesn't play its games at the bar. You can play without ever stepping foot inside the bar; and you have a cold beer without an obligation to play softball. The Forum is a place to meet and talk; TAC happens out in the real world... or so I think.
Nice anology.
BATTER UP!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Robert:

You say it is a military thing. I sure hope nobody calls Reveille in the morning and has us do roll call during a TAC get together. I am not up for a 15 mile back pack hike and thank you sir may I have another.

Brian
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Lothlorian- Oh man did that one hit home. You gave me the laugh I haven't had in years. When I first joined WBCCI 9 years ago and was part of another unit, (NOT NEU) we were so heavily organized in our Rallies they had to print an itinerary, complete with breakfast, lunch, happier hours and all. The breakfast and coffee were gone and cleaned up by 9am. Sacrilege to an Italian who has an all day love affair with coffee. This at some point may have served a purpose if you trying to move people out to a daytime activity as a group but that didn’t seem to be the case. They just thought this was how rallies were suppose to be based on tradition.

Attending rallies like this was more like work for me than a relaxing weekend. I stopped attending rallies like this and stpped offering to host rallies because of it. Now more units are looking at less rigid practices. So look out TAC if this was to be the case I would move on.
Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Yes.... But maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
This is a good analogy but I still don't get it. If the Forum is the bar and the team is rallies, friendship, etc. - all that already existed right here. There were plenty of teams going to rallies all over the country. Nobody is obliged to go. Nobody is obliged to pay dues. Nobody is obliged to get up when the trumpet blasts. There are people from the forums meeting and going camping one, two, three rigs at a time and sometimes 30 plus. That's all very real world to me.

Now it seems there are a group of people (who, for whatever good intentioned reasons) are diluting the knowledge and the spirit of the forum community by "meeting" in other places. Sort of like this... I like going to this bar and I like the softball team I played on but I think I'll go make my own softball team and I may or may not come back to this bar 'cause I may just want to go my own way and do my own thing.

Ultimately, all that's okay. Hey it's the 21st century - do you own thing.

TAC is seemingly created because people were unhappy with the "other bar" not the forums bar and the forums teams. Why splinter the forums and the forums teams?

There are already other AS groups out there (not airforums) on the web that do real world things. They meet, they have fun. Do we really need another?

Okay, turn on the flamethrowers!

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
This is a good analogy but I still don't get it. If the Forum is the bar and the team is rallies, friendship, etc. - all that already existed right here. There were plenty of teams going to rallies all over the country. Nobody is obliged to go. Nobody is obliged to pay dues. Nobody is obliged to get up when the trumpet blasts. There are people from the forums meeting and going camping one, two, three rigs at a time and sometimes 30 plus. That's all very real world to me.

Now it seems there are a group of people (who, for whatever good intentioned reasons) are diluting the knowledge and the spirit of the forum community by "meeting" in other places. Sort of like this... I like going to this bar and I like the softball team I played on but I think I'll go make my own softball team and I may or may not come back to this bar 'cause I may just want to go my own way and do my own thing.

Ultimately, all that's okay. Hey it's the 21st century - do you own thing.

TAC is seemingly created because people were unhappy with the "other bar" not the forums bar and the forums teams. Why splinter the forums and the forums teams?

There are already other AS groups out there (not airforums) on the web that do real world things. They meet, they have fun. Do we really need another?

Okay, turn on the flamethrowers!

Lucius
Welcome to America. We all can decide for yourself what to participate in and what to ignore. Because someone opens a lemonade stand no one else can open a lemonade stand or a coffee shop or newspaper without the central authorities approval? On the forum one can support, undermine, encourage, promote or engage in recreational conflict.
Soon we can go camping and those with a virtual airstream can continue to etc... etc...etc...
For one thing there is no requirement to have ever gone camping in anyway to be on the forum and express a length opinion about camping, camping clubs, Airstream, Airstreams new and old, WBCCI, TAC, etc. Somethings it's the old garbage in garbage out fedish that keeps some threads going, while going camping is a culinary delight.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
For me, TAC was formed in the spirit of spite, but in the lust for camping. Its future will surely belong to the latter sentiment, not to the former, yet the current "membership drive" depends much too strongly on spite rather than lust.

But I certainly agree with the OP and fail to see the individual benefit of TAC over Airforums. In a sense, though, TAC is very parasitic on Airforums: Without the latter, the former probably wouldn't exist, nor will it continue to exist for long without. (There's no criticism here; a couple of other groupings also strongly depend on Airforums for their activity, I think.)

Lynn
Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
How about giving the club a while to grow. I mean, the thing is still being formed, it hasn't even got the paint on to dry yet.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Just live it.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
How about giving the club a while to grow. I mean, the thing is still being formed, it hasn't even got the paint on to dry yet.
Hi Gen Disarray;
Very well put. Short and to the point. How can one criticize something they have not experienced yet? I think that some people will remain negative no matter what, because they cannot see out of their box. Perhaps they see TAC Club as bunch of unruly runaway rebels. It is a shame that they see it that way. I cannot imagine that any club member will tolerate or stay friendly with the unruly or rude people. Those usually go away after awhile, when they find out that rudeness is not accepted or tolerated by it's membership. I would hope that none of this kind applied for membership for Tac. I have camped with the organizers of TAC. I have found them to be most wonderful people who will do anything for you. I was surprised by Rob's and Franks kindness and their hospitality.
Frank even spent half day polishing someone's Airstream for free. Can you see anyone with negativity do this? Yes, I do get upset when anyone talks down persons capabilities and their kind heart before they had a chance to interact with them in person. I believe that Tac will be about friendliness and kindness to fellow member. No formalities just easy going friendship and lots of unscheduled fun.
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hey BOAT DOC I seem to recall reading somewhere,about a bunch of rebel rousers and unruly runaways that landed in AHHH Plymouth Rock I think it was and look what happened to them.They were positive all the way. So I like you and the General Say "Give it some time".The negatives we see voiced here are those who resist change and see THEIR club as possibly being threatened.
I have also camped with Rob and his family and a host of like thinking,wonderful people,I think this will work. I remain POSITIVE.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I should just keep my mouth shut, BUT...

To me it is The Airstreamer's Club, not TAC. It is open for anyone that wants to participate plain and simple. It is what you make it and it fails only if you fail. No IBT guys in giant Motorhomes to point your fingers at here.

Eubank... you look at it as spiteful because you have so much invested in you own personal basket of eggs. The Club with Mr Byam's name in it does not provide some of us what we want out of our club experience. We are creating something that does. Many of us in the Airstreamer's Club are creating something out of action instead of just talking about how it should be. You are welcome to be a member of all and any club you want to.

nvestsly... Have you ever looked at all the clubs listed on this forum? Are they trying to split the airforums? There are eight without any affiliations to the club with Mr. Byam's name in it... The obvious answer is NO. If anything, they are bringing members to Airforums.

I have come to find that no matter how sweet you make the cup of tea, someone will always be unhappy with something. As the General said.. let the paint dry, or maybe you could help paint the fence. I won't even charge you an apple for the privilege.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
I joined the forums, then I joined TAC, now I enjoy the posts and threads that EVERYONE put out here.
There will be negative people no matter where you go or what you do, all we can do is "smile and wave boys, smile and wave."
I believe there is a club for those negatives and they can join it with no problems, it's called "The Nay-sayer's Club" there are no dues, or forms to fill out, just be mean and nasty to the people that are trying to have fun and enjoy life; and you're a full time member. As for me and mine, we will NOT join, we're to busy having fun.