Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Rhode Island Airstreamers?

Hi, we're relocating to Rhode Island in a couple of weeks, and we're bringing our '64 Globetrotter with us. In California, we've had a lot of fun camping with an informal group of Airstream owners that had formed on Airforums, gathering a few times a year at particular destinations for 2-3-4 night rallies. I wondered if a group like this might exist in RI/CT/MA? If not, maybe it's up to me to organize a first rally Any thoughts, constructive preferred, or heck, any kind or response at all is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hi, we're relocating to Rhode Island in a couple of weeks, and we're bringing our '64 Globetrotter with us. In California, we've had a lot of fun camping with an informal group of Airstream owners that had formed on Airforums, gathering a few times a year at particular destinations for 2-3-4 night rallies. I wondered if a group like this might exist in RI/CT/MA? If not, maybe it's up to me to organize a first rally Any thoughts, constructive preferred, or heck, any kind or response at all is appreciated.
Why setup a new informal group, when Region 1 is already has great units? For example the New England Unit have rallies most weekends in the summer, is itself informal and very welcoming. Add in you have the Cape Cod and White Mountain units that often rally together, and it really is a great collective of folks who like to spend time together? If you are a NEU member they also have a great Facebook group.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks, we weren't looking to join the WBCCI but maybe that's an option.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:

Hi Globie64, what part of RI are you moving to? I have a 72 Safari AS and a buddy of mine owns a 69' AS, not sure what model but I think it might be a Globetrotter. We were actually talking about doing daily/weekend excursions as well with our AS before Covid happened. I live in Middletown/Newport RI near the beaches and he lives the next town over in Portsmouth, RI. Welcome to RI and safe travels.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You might want to check RI's evolving requirements for folks arriving from other states [see under "Quarantine" heading]:

https://health.ri.gov/diseases/ncov2019/

Have a great trip.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
I live in Rhode Island literally on the North East corner near Mass.

I have a 2019 Serenity. We spend a lot of time at local areas.

I haven't seen much in the way of rallies around here, but then again I haven't really looked much either.

We camp at Fisherman's memorial park down near Galilee, Normandy farms in Foxboro, Horseneck beach park, and Massasoit State Park.

This covid pandemic has really locked RI down hard and just starting to open up Phase 3 coming this Monday.

Unlike CA, where there are lots of places/land to rally at, RI doesn't have those kinds of spaces (or at least that I'm aware of)....I've lived here all my life but new to RVing in RI. So I may be wrong, but I've yet to see otherwise.

I see very few AS around here so maybe that is where the "New England" group comes from and just happens to include RI, but I'm not really too sure.

Let us know when you arrive and what you find and safe journeys.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi MX- we're going to be in South Kingstown, near Matunuck. That's kind of what I was thinking, if it works to connect, it could be fun. I think there are a lot of options for camping without going too far. I always really enjoyed the social aspect of camping together.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi OTRA, and thanks. We've been keeping apprised of the restrictions in RI, and welcome the opportunity to spend two weeks in our house there! I've spent about ten weeks a year there for the last 25 years, so it's not like we're just dropping from the sky without any familiarity. Fortunately, the Belmont market does home delivery
Old 06-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks Kittmaster. I'll check out the parks you mentioned. It seemed like rather than an RI specific group, it would more likely be people from CT/RI/MA and then some. Remember, we're coming from a state that is 200 miles by 1000 miles long, so we're used to far flung events. As OTRA mentioned and I responded, we're aware of the restrictions and fully expect to be questioned as we enter the state. We're moving to our home there, rather than showing up for a vacation, and are prepared to quarantine for two weeks.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Hi MX- we're going to be in South Kingstown, near Matunuck. That's kind of what I was thinking, if it works to connect, it could be fun. I think there are a lot of options for camping without going too far. I always really enjoyed the social aspect of camping together.
You must check out Matunuck oyster bar. Itís phenomenal and great atmosphere. Also whatís great about RI is that your close to everything. Cape cod 2 hrs away, Boston 1.5 away, Vt, Maine great for skiing about 4hrs, New York 4hrs. Plus you have tons of beaches, golf, breweries, Block Island, 45 min ferry ride. Just to name a few attractions.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks- we love the Matunuck Oyster Bar, as well as The Coast Guard House, Ella's and on and on. You're so right, there is a lot to see there in state, and Boston and NYC aren't far. Providence has so much to offer, too. My ancestors came from Newport and Smithfield, long long ago, but if anyone asks, I think I can claim a connection!