Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Good Sam Membership Processing Time

So I decided to give Good Sam a shot for our drive back to Colorado from the Midwest. I am already doubting my choice considering the very first thing I received after paying my $29 was a note saying I would receive my card in 2 weeks, and no specific information regarding how long it would be before my membership is "processed," so I at least have a membership number.

Will I not be able to use the membership I just paid for on this trip?

I was hoping to at least try out the advanced trip planner (since Google Maps is beyond abysmal for trip planning) and get an $.08 discount on my diesel purchases at specific fuel stations.

Will I receive my membership number anytime soon, or is the processing... process... so archaic that I'm going to have to wait for someone to physically go over my information by hand before I receive access to any of the benefits?
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
So I decided to give Good Sam a shot for our drive back to Colorado from the Midwest. I am already doubting my choice considering the very first thing I received after paying my $29 was a note saying I would receive my card in 2 weeks, and no specific information regarding how long it would be before my membership is "processed," so I at least have a membership number.

Will I not be able to use the membership I just paid for on this trip?

I was hoping to at least try out the advanced trip planner (since Google Maps is beyond abysmal for trip planning) and get an $.08 discount on my diesel purchases at specific fuel stations.

Will I receive my membership number anytime soon, or is the processing... process... so archaic that I'm going to have to wait for someone to physically go over my information by hand before I receive access to any of the benefits?
Good Sam...not Sam's Club, right? You can call them up and get the number if you have a receipt. We got our number for use couple years ago and cards arrived in a week or so...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Good Sam...not Sam's Club, right?

Yeah. Definitely Good Sam. I purchased via their website several hours ago, and the only thing I've received is an e-mail stating "We are processing your membership." I guess that qualifies as a "receipt," though there is no evidence of a financial transaction in the automated e-mail.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I purchased via their website several hours ago,

Benefits become active 24 hours after
approval of payment.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Benefits become active 24 hours after
approval of payment.

Well that's a bummer. I guess (hopefully) I'll at least be able to use it for some of the trip.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
They can email a copy of card you can use
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
If I remember correctly, I printed a temporary one from their website because, like you I didn't have the time to wait for an actual card.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Without a plastic card, not sure you can get a fuel discount
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Without a plastic card, not sure you can get a fuel discount
Where do you get a real "fuel discount"?? Most, if not all the Pilot or "truck stop" stations where the Good Sam Discount is accepted charge way more $$, then the typical gas stations charge even with the discount, from my experience on the road. Let me know what if I am using it wrong or missed something?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
That has been my impression too. You get best discount by signing up for good Sam pilot credit card on line which only allows you to pay your statement online. Even with discount they are high. I got both the shell and Exxon loyalty cards. I think in the long run they are a better deal especially if you combine them with a credit card that has fuel rewards like the Costco Visa or sometimes Discover. The loyalty cards use the points you accumulate for further discounts on the gas. Also, I have had bad experiences at Pilot. I will not go unless no alternative. I like Loves much better, but I dont think they do the good Sam discount anymore.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
U can use good Sam for camping discounts and you get discounts at camping world. Camping world can look u up in computer. Campground would take number from your email receipt if you don't physically have card yet. The Shell and Exxon loyalty cards can be obtained and used right away at station. You swipe loyalty first then credit card. Shell had a promotional discount applied automatically the first 30 days when I signed up. You would still need to eventually go on line and finish setting up your loyalty accounts. Hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
We joined at a Camping World. The cashier that processed us, somehow assigned a different address to our account. I have a common name so apparently when she went into the system she just picked a random Steve Jones and his address. Luckily I was given a temp card to use so I had my membership number. Our permanent card was sent to the wrong address. Took me a while to figure out they had the account screwed up. Took SEVERAL phone calls and multiple attempts to straighten out. So for me, to get our cards, it took several months. I was not impressed with the organization.

Our membership expires pretty soon. I don't think I'm going to renew.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
I was not impressed with the organization.

Our membership expires pretty soon. I don't think I'm going to renew.

Yeah. I ended up calling to get my number, but it didn't do me any good, as apparently you need a physical card to get the fuel discount. Also, while an $.08 discount sounds good, Pilot almost always costs $.10 more than the other stations, and 8 cents off on 20 gallons is only a $1.60. Yeah, it may add up after a while, but I'm not going to seek out a station that charges more anyway just to save a dollar fifty off their inflated price.

Also, when I called to get my membership number, the person I spoke to wasn't very friendly. She was efficient and got me the number, but definitely no sugar coat.

I am not impressed either.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I do believe you can print your card from the Good Sam website. If you want to go to a little trouble with Flying J, get their app. Im pretty sure you can add your membership number to get the discount.

https://youtu.be/Liio6g_rPcQ
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Like many others, I have not found the Good Sam Club fuel discount all that great. After two 5,000+ mile trips this year during which I mapped out Pilot/Flying J stations to maximize my discount, I found that only about 10% of them actually give Good Sam Club members a discount. Apparently, only corporate-owned stations give the discount. On the second trip, I managed to get gas at conveniently-located Costco and Sam's Club a few times, which was really a good savings.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
The so-called "discount" for gas or diesel purchases one can obtain for Flying J, Pilot, Love's, and most if not all of the other national truck stops is a retail consumer's joke, as in my experience, the retail prices at these pumps are substantially more than most other nearby fueling stations even taking into account the "discount." In talking with both their employees and truckers, what I was told was that these truck stops do their volume business with national truck lines that issue fueling cards to their drivers to use at these truck stops, and the truck stops then bill the trucking companies at a substantial (as in "huge") discount off pump prices.

After acquiring our AS, we used these discount cards on our maiden voyage across the county, and very soon began wondering why we were seeing usual fuel prices substantially lower than those at Flying J/Pilot etc. even after applying the discount. The fuel discount cards went into the trash, and we haven't used these national truck stops since then.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Uvalde , Texas
Check your spam file. I joined in past 2 weeks. Found msg with card in spam. They send out lots of emails with come on ads. You may have over looked your card msg. Hard card is still no show.
Retawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Good ( for nothing) Sam Club

I use my Good Sam club for one thing only and that's the discounts I get off nightly fees at many RV parks while traveling. For that it's worth $ 25 yrly.
The fuel discount is a joke, as Pilot, et al, charge easily 0.35 or so more than gas stations, so the $ .06 is worthless. I routinely save that .35/gal or more, by planning my routes so I can stop w/o the trailer hitched.

I also use Allstays for finding parks for any particular routing. Allstays does have a nice feature of telling you low overpasses - otherwise, I use maps to plan my route and Allstays, RV park reviews, trip advisor, etc to decide on particular parks. Road side assistance is via AAA.

That's my .02
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
we found Good Sam to be easy and worthwhile

I hope you got your membership issues straightened out. We were hesitant about Good Sam because we like state and national parks. But we went ahead and signed up at a campground in TN and she applied the discount immediately. Then we moved on, and at the next commercial campground a couple weeks later she automatically applied our discount by linking to the GS database, no membership card required and we didn't even tell her we are members. Same thing at a couple more campgrounds on that trip. So the membership more than paid for itself.

But I agree with everyone else, the fuel discount is useless.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Wen I had the popup, I joined Good Sams in hopes to get good discount for Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach but after a few months I got truckloads of mails from Good Sam’s, I decided not to renew. Even 2 years after I didn’t renew I still got truckloads of mail!!!!! I haven’t gotten any in last decade.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote