Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Bowdoinham , Maine
Good Sam Club directory?

My 1963 Overlander has a Good Sam Club number on it from the original owner. I would love to track those folks down. the folks at the club would not share information citing confidentiality limits. Can anyone help?
Artliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good Sam number? New one on me. Can you post a photo?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have a MEMBERSHIP NUMBER; is this what they are talking about? Were they displaying it?
This could also apply to WBCCI as that number is displayed and can be cross referenced to the owner. I wished that I had NEVER put my number on my trailer: 1: crooks can tell if i am away and than break in to my home 2: it leaves a "stain" of my numbers when/ if I sell it.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
1: crooks can tell if i am away and than break in to my home
Has that actually happened to you? If it hasn't happened in all this time that you've owned an Airstream and belonged to WBCCI, then don't worry about it anymore.

Crooks don't exactly make a point of reading the Blue Beret Membership Issue and looking up the WBCCI numbers of Airstreams they see on the road to see who the trailers belong to. And any crooks who do see you on the road are unlikely to travel all the way to the town you live in just to rob your house. Your address isn't listed in the Blue Beret anyway, so how would they know?

Besides, the local crooks can tell when you're not home just by seeing that the trailer is gone, whether the trailer has Big Red Numbers™ on it or not. Assuming they've been watching your house for a while and just waiting for the trailer to be gone before they break in. Most thieves aren't that smart OR that patient.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Correction; crooks could tell if ONE is away and break into ONES home. Fingers ahead of thought. I could not remember the post from several years ago; but it was about "why NOT to put numbers directly on A$"
I/we had our first and last name on A$ but have since removed last name. Our state and county is on our license plate and this is TMI.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Some like numbers on their trailers some don't. We have had new members that can't wait to put their numbers on. It's a personal thing, they remember as kids when the caravans of Airstreams came through their towns and villages with their big red numbers and they said, someday I will have an Airstream with big red numbers, and I do!
I think the red numbers are a deterrent to someone thinking to steal your Airstream more so than to rob your house.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Correction; crooks could tell if ONE is away and break into ONES home.
Again, numbers on the trailer make no difference in that respect. Crooks in one's hometown will know that one's trailer is gone if one normally stores it at home, whether the trailer has numbers on it or not. Honestly, they're more likely to tell if one isn't home by the accumulation of newspapers on the front porch (or in the yard, the bushes, wherever the paperboy throws them) or by paying attention to the lights that show in the house windows, or by noticing that the tow vehicle is gone for days on end.

Crooks in other towns or on the highway won't make the journey back to one's hometown to rob one's house if they see one's trailer on the road and can figure out who it belongs to and where that owner lives. It's not worth the drive for the potential thieves when there is prey closer to their homes.

And on the positive side, if one's trailer is stolen, the Big Red Numbers™ provide immediate identification for law enforcement officers, "Be on the lookout for an aluminum trailer, red numbers XXXXX on the front and rear."
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Bowdoinham , Maine
My sicker assumption...

I assumed the black numbers were associated with the Good Sam sticker. Too many digits for WBBCI, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	291440  
Artliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When I was younger (late 1950's or early 1960's) I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Good Sam decals on trailers and asking my Dad about them. I don't recall numbers, but maybe they were there. Anything I can find says it was founded in 1966 along with Camping World or acquired by Camping World's parent company in 1968, but I think I saw them earlier than that.

Looking at the condition and style of the decal, I'm guessing that any records of that era are long gone.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Correction; crooks could tell if ONE is away and break into ONES home. Fingers ahead of thought. I could not remember the post from several years ago; but it was about "why NOT to put numbers directly on A$"
I/we had our first and last name on A$ but have since removed last name. Our state and county is on our license plate and this is TMI.
I'm going to join protagonist in setting your mind at ease. 99% of crooks are opportunistic and impuse thieves. What you propose is actual work, something these types have been avoiding most of their lives. This kind of thief is a smash and grab, carjacking, walk through neighborhoods and look for piled up newspapers and stuffed up mailboxes. No one is looking at the numbers on your Airstream except other club members.

The type of thief you describe would be after much bigger bounty than you have.
The smarter thief would be stealing paintings, jewels, and robbing banks.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Some like numbers on their trailers some don't. We have had new members that can't wait to put their numbers on. It's a personal thing, they remember as kids when the caravans of Airstreams came through their towns and villages with their big red numbers and they said, someday I will have an Airstream with big red numbers, and I do!
I think the red numbers are a deterrent to someone thinking to steal your Airstream more so than to rob your house.
I'm not sure the average thief would give anymore thought to that than they do a license plate.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote