Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I received another email from Escapees / Xscapers that the bill in South Dakota has been tabled. Apparently there was quite an outcry from the public so the sponsor decided to table the topic but vowed to pursue the subject again at another time using different language. The subject will likely come up again in the next legislative session.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
Full Time RVers

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Golden , Colorado
YES! My husband and I are Xscapers members. We recently attended the Xscapers Convergence in Quartzsite, AZ in January. We had an amazing time and met lots of awesome people. We put up several videos from the Convergence if anyone is interested. It's a great club, just celebrated its one year birthday and membership is over 2,000 members and growing... Brian and I will be hosting a Convergence in Colorado this September.

Xscapers Convergence Part 1:
https://youtu.be/ycAb1InG-AY

Xscapers Convergence Part 2:
https://youtu.be/jYIdUUYF6aw

Xscapers COnvergence: Desert Sunsets:
https://youtu.be/PQcajAw0Pxk

Xscapers Members Discuss Making Money on the Road:
https://youtu.be/zdO_xOEA-tQ
SpotTheScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #23
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Cool videos! Thanks for taking time to post them and chime in about Escapees/Xscapers.

We have really enjoyed desert sunsets too. I referred to them as 360 degree (all around) sunsets because there are few trees and obstructions to block the view. Sometimes the most colorful area of the sky is to the east! Who knew!?

We were in Big Bend National Park a few years ago at a back country camp site and enjoyed lots of gorgeous sunsets. One evening after dark I realized the moon had not come up yet and we were amazed at the moonrise that night. Sometimes you see the moon rise in the eastern U.S. but the trees - and we love trees - really block the view. In the desert, no problem.

After doing more research on Escapees/Xscapers in the past few months I have to admit I'm perplexed by why the original group (Escapees) saw the need for a new group (Xscapers). I understand "why" in some respects. Yes, the internet has changed the way people can work and travel. But that's not unlike why Escapees was originally created - relatively young people with families were working and traveling. I don't want this to be an us and them argument but I hope Xscapers don't somehow build a barrier that doesn't need to exist by thinking only "young", non-retired, full-time RVers are suitable for their portion of the organization.

I consider myself young - somehow we're all eternally 25 aren't we - but I am retired, that is, not working. However, I am not traditional retirement age and don't have a pension or social security so my job is to not have a job. Make my money work so I don't have to. That includes many challenges such as health insurance that face Xscapers as well as some Escapees.

Maybe someday it will be obvious to me why both groups exist. For now I'll simply accept that both exist and have fun with both! Maybe we'll see you at the Convergence in Colorado. We'll be in the area during that time frame.

Thanks again for posting and look forward to seeing more of your Youtube videos.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #24
Full Time RVers

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Golden , Colorado
I don't think any of us have anything against the older crowd. It's just that in the past, many RVers, especially full time ones, were of retired age. Sure some younger folks would RV but it would generally be rare. That population is growing now - FAST - with how many full time RVers are hitting the road in the younger generation. It's just nice to meet others that are "like you." Doesn't mean anything against the older folks. Just how airstream people want to get together in their own groups, doesn't mean they don't like other RVers. It's just nice to have certain gatherings with certain groups. Also timing during gatherings. Escapees have a lot of gatherings around 3-5 pm. Xscapers party into the night. (I'm not that type, hardly ever... but found myself doing so there, too).
The existence of a group doesn't mean that is the only group you want to be a part of. It's just about meeting similar people with similar lifestyle.
Like for us... we are Xscapers, but we hung out with some Escapees before they all left. Now that we bought an airstream, we might want to go to an airstream get together. We also have a 5th wheel, there's even groups specific to Montana fifth wheels that we want to check out. Those would be a lot more older people, actually... but we don't mind one bit. It's just about connecting on different things. We also want to join Fulltime Families once we have little ones with us. They have a lot more issues specific to say, homeschooling on the road, socializing kids who are full time on the road.... something no one would be talking about in Escapees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Cool videos! Thanks for taking time to post them and chime in about Escapees/Xscapers.

We have really enjoyed desert sunsets too. I referred to them as 360 degree (all around) sunsets because there are few trees and obstructions to block the view. Sometimes the most colorful area of the sky is to the east! Who knew!?

We were in Big Bend National Park a few years ago at a back country camp site and enjoyed lots of gorgeous sunsets. One evening after dark I realized the moon had not come up yet and we were amazed at the moonrise that night. Sometimes you see the moon rise in the eastern U.S. but the trees - and we love trees - really block the view. In the desert, no problem.

After doing more research on Escapees/Xscapers in the past few months I have to admit I'm perplexed by why the original group (Escapees) saw the need for a new group (Xscapers). I understand "why" in some respects. Yes, the internet has changed the way people can work and travel. But that's not unlike why Escapees was originally created - relatively young people with families were working and traveling. I don't want this to be an us and them argument but I hope Xscapers don't somehow build a barrier that doesn't need to exist by thinking only "young", non-retired, full-time RVers are suitable for their portion of the organization.

I consider myself young - somehow we're all eternally 25 aren't we - but I am retired, that is, not working. However, I am not traditional retirement age and don't have a pension or social security so my job is to not have a job. Make my money work so I don't have to. That includes many challenges such as health insurance that face Xscapers as well as some Escapees.

Maybe someday it will be obvious to me why both groups exist. For now I'll simply accept that both exist and have fun with both! Maybe we'll see you at the Convergence in Colorado. We'll be in the area during that time frame.

Thanks again for posting and look forward to seeing more of your Youtube videos.
SpotTheScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #25
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I/we joined Escapees / Xscapers recently. I want to use their new online trip planning tool and want to attend some of their events in the upcoming year. I've already made use of their Smart Weigh program but you don't have to be a member to use that service.

Smart Weigh is offered at several locations around the country to provide individual wheel weights and tongue weight of your RV/tow vehicle, etc. You can weight tow vehicles and travel trailers, tow vehicles and 5th wheels or motorhomes and towed vehicles. I have not used CAT scales but I've seen them in action and the Smart Weigh approach is better IMO since it's tailored to RVs, although not nearly as widely available as CAT scales.

Back to one aspect of my original post... what's the difference between Escapees and Xscapers? I'll try to understand more about that in upcoming months and report back on this thread. From what I see now, in some ways there is no difference. In some ways it may be fracturing the organization. In some ways it may be allowing the organization to grow by addressing the needs (real or not) of the younger generation. We'll see.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Why not attend the Escapade in Essex Junction VT from July 24-29/16 and see both the older crowd and the younger ones at the same time. You'll be able to meet Travis & Melanie and hear what Xcapers are about. Having attended the last two Escapades, I will be at Essex Junction - lots to learn, see & do. It's a good time to meet with friends who are on the road, either full-time or, like me, part-time.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #27
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Why not attend the Escapade in Essex Junction VT from July 24-29/16 and see both the older crowd and the younger ones at the same time. You'll be able to meet Travis & Melanie and hear what Xcapers are about. Having attended the last two Escapades, I will be at Essex Junction - lots to learn, see & do. It's a good time to meet with friends who are on the road, either full-time or, like me, part-time.
We already have several commitments during that time period so we can't attend this year. The annual Escapade, Convergences and other aspects of the club appeal to me. We're definitely keeping an eye out for future events.

If I didn't say it in a previous post... I used the Escapee SmartWeigh program to check the individual wheel weights on our tow vehicle and trailer. Escapees does a good job with this program. It's not as widely available as going to the CAT Scales but it provides very detailed information that is not easily obtainable with commercial scales.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
We're heading to Essex Junction VT on Friday (July 22, 2016) for the Escapade, as the ROW reps for Chapter 18 (Maple Leaf Chapter, Ontario). Drop over for a visit.

This just came into my email from Escapees:
-------------------------------

57th Escapade, Tucson, AZ
March 19-24, 2017

Mark your calendars and plan to be in the desert southwest next spring as the 57th Escapade returns to Tucson, AZ, March 19-24, 2017.

Pima County Fairgrounds promises a warm welcome once again, with major renovations to their buildings, improvement to their cellular towers as well the addition of new campground sites, many with full hook ups.

A long-favored winter destination, Tucson is popular and well-received by Escapees members. Plan to enjoy a week of educational fun, exciting entertainment and busy days of comradery with fellow RVers in the sunny desert southwest!

Registration will be available soon. Save the date for an unforgettable 57th Escapade with your SKP friends in Tucson!

----------------

I did read that Travis Carr is now the new president of the Escapees. He and Melanie, along with their two young sons are fulltimers (in an Airstream).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thx for the heads up for next year as that's practically in our backyard.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #30
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

57th Escapade, Tucson, AZ
March 19-24, 2017

Mark your calendars and plan to be in the desert southwest next spring as the 57th Escapade returns to Tucson, AZ, March 19-24, 2017.

Pima County Fairgrounds promises a warm welcome once again, with major renovations to their buildings, improvement to their cellular towers as well the addition of new campground sites, many with full hook ups.

A long-favored winter destination, Tucson is popular and well-received by Escapees members. Plan to enjoy a week of educational fun, exciting entertainment and busy days of comradery with fellow RVers in the sunny desert southwest!

Registration will be available soon. Save the date for an unforgettable 57th Escapade with your SKP friends in Tucson!

----------------
We've had the March 2017 Escapade on our planning calendar for months. I haven't given up on the idea entirely but it's looking less and less likely that we can attend the event.

Here's a link to the 2017 Escapade

https://escapees.com/knowledge/escapade

NOTE: You do not have to be a member of Escapees/Xscapers to attend the rally.