Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Escapees Club

I just joined the Escapee Club.I was very impressed with the packet I received in the mail.They are way ahead of the curve .Wbcci could take a lesson from SKP aka the Escapees club.Their forum is not on par with Air forums but a close second to the Wbcci forum. the Escapee magazine is much nicer than the BB.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I just joined the Escapee Club.I was very impressed with the packet I received in the mail.They are way ahead of the curve .Wbcci could take a lesson from SKP aka the Escapees club.Their forum is not on par with Air forums but a close second to the Wbcci forum. the Escapee magazine is much nicer than the BB.
All you say is true.. I have attended a couple of their rallies. Good seminars and far more vendors.
The magazine is probably one of the best out there .
I suspect part of the reason for there success is they don't change leadership every year and they are not bogged down by the "Blue book"
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hey Firedog;

Good to hear from you on the forums. We reviewed their magazine and travel guide that one of our members from 4CU has. We joined up last week and are waiting on our package. We are wintering in Quartzsite and there is a SKP rally going on North of Q. Weather is a little nasty right now. High winds (40 mph +) and rain but we intend on going up and visiting with a friend ofours that isat the rally.

We are getting ready to head for Cottonwood for the 4CU Deadhorse 4.

Hope you are enjoying retirement. We retired in March last year and I don't miss the corporate BS at all.

Bob
Member 4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I can highly recommend their mail forwarding service; this is year #8 for us, and they haven't made a mistake yet!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Isn't SKP limited to age 50 and older? Not that I'm knocking the club, I have friends that are members and speak highly of it. But, the age requirement prevents me from joining.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
No its a family oriented club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Isn't SKP limited to age 50 and older? Not that I'm knocking the club, I have friends that are members and speak highly of it. But, the age requirement prevents me from joining.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
I only wish Wbcci would do mail fowarding but that wpould be to much for them to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I can highly recommend their mail forwarding service; this is year #8 for us, and they haven't made a mistake yet!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
My husband and I have looked into joining them as well. We have joined the airstream club (going to Wyoming in July!), plan to join the vintage airstream club and the tin can group. I am new enough at this whole process that I have not figured out the financial approaches to each of the clubs. I have 2 Masters in Business degrees. I eventually will analysis each of the clubs systems for my own interest. In looking at Escapes it appears to be run in a for profit model. Just thinking out loud.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
I wanted to expand my options that why I joined the SKP club,more camping discounts insurances, mail forwarding ect. than WBCCI
Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I cant find where they list the discount RV parks on their website. Is there an online list to preview? $70 is a lot to pay for mail forwarding.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
They sent me a book on campsites around the usa location discounts ect. you must join to see see bennies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I cant find where they list the discount RV parks on their website. Is there an online list to preview? $70 is a lot to pay for mail forwarding.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
They sent me a book on campsites around the usa location discounts ect. you must join to see see bennies
Not terribly bright on their part in my opinion. I wont buy a pig in a poke. They would loose nothing posting the parks, after all you have to be a member to get the price break.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Not terribly bright on their part in my opinion. I wont buy a pig in a poke. They would loose nothing posting the parks, after all you have to be a member to get the price break.
I did not have to log in to get to this info.
I believe you can also download the whole book using the links on the left side of the page, anyway give it a try

Escapees RV Club
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I did not have to log in to get to this info.
I believe you can also download the whole book using the links on the left side of the page, anyway give it a try

Escapees RV Club
Okay, that makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I am a SKP member. The club was formed by fulltimers (Joe and Kay Peterson) to provide support for fulltimers. It has expended to inlcude serious RV'ers. They have a mail service because of supporting fulltimers. Many members are extended timers. They have chapters in most states. I am neither as I am still working. Because it is a family owned for profit organization there is no politics that involves the members. The people are all very friendly. I joined as a lifetime member because I will always be an RV'er but I can't necessarily say that about being an Airstream owner because if I fulltime I way switch to a motorhome. (Less likely now that I bought a classic 34.) They have a great magazine and the Escapadess (similar to an International) are well run and fun. I am glad I joined but they do not compete with the WBCCI because they have a different purpose. I would do it again in my case; I have attended two Escapades and two chapter rallies. In Illinois they have two chapter rallies a year; one in the spring and one in the fall. But the timing is geared for the retired. I will say that at the Escapade it seems that the average age is younger than the WBCCI age. In my late fifties I'm considered as a youngen in the WBCCI; that is not the case in Escapees with those I have met. I would not join for the main purpose of getting campground discounts. However, they do have parks owned and operated by the club (Rainbow Parks) and there are affiliated co-op parks for fulltimers who wanted a homebase. Hope this helps.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Wbcci --- skp

We are members of both clubs, the difference is that the Escapees is set up for full timers and it is a family owned and operated business with a lot of volonteers rather than employees ,they do have rallys. The WBCCI is set up for Rallys and caravans, The SKP's officers ( owners ) run the club for profit and members have little say.The WBCCI is run by its members, right or wrong and is not for profit. Both have a purpose and fit our needs as does this forumn
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Thanks for sharing! My "gut" was right on this. As you said both have their purposes.

Judy
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My wife found Escapees on the 'net. We're going to full-time for some yet undefined period before we return to full-time work. We'll probably pick up the membership for our year on the road.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We're thinking about joining, too. We get all their materials from being a whatever-member (giving discount), but now want to join for the discounts at other places, especially those 50% discount parks.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Even thought I am not yet a fulltimer, I joined Escapees about the same time I joined WBCCI. As several have pointed out, the magazine is one of the best ones out there and the club seems to be free of the politics of some clubs.

Besides the commercial parks that offer discounts, the club owns and operates nearly 20 parks around the country. Some have lots for sale, some offer long term leases and some are just rental parks. But all have some sites for visitors just passing thru and the rates are usually a fraction of nearby commercial parks. I have stayed many times at the one near Knoxville, TN - a former KOA, it has been recently dressed up with bigger and wider sites, 50A service and an expansion to the clubhouse. FHU sites with CATV are about $12/night as I recall.

Wherever two or more Escapees gather you can count on an evening get together at 4PM local time to meet your other travelers and you can usually expect to get greeted with a hug from fellow members.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote