Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Is this thread about the trailer or about motorcycles? ……. I can jump in on the latter….. Solo cross country ride in 2008 before I got into Airstreams….
Going to the Sun Road in Glacier
Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park (1 of 1) by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
OK, I don't have the real toy hauler - I have the Eddie Bauer 27fb. I wanted to share a pic of my little car too. Just not blue. 1983 DMC12 Delorean. ��
ZackBilly1 ... Fantastic upgrades! Wow is such a small word, but double WOW!

Love that car Jasperkins - especially with an AS ... had to settle for a C6 anniversary GS ... but our EB nicely handles an XT250 and 1200GSw (side bags removed)... white GS, white GS !

We, too, now have to also get rid of our milk crate for ratchet straps and gold line ... ohhh, the embarrassment after checking back to this thread .... just two suits for us - medium weight Klim Gore-Tex ... fit anywhere. The helmets with comm are, however, bulky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-13_10-52-33_833 - Copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	223436   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-17_17-36-13_627 - Copy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	223437  

Name:	Yam.loading.Covington.1405357565344.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	223438  
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Is this thread about the trailer or about motorcycles?
Either/Or. But we can talk about whatever you have on your mind...otherwise this Pan America sub-forum won't see much activity. It's like we have our own little corner to stand around and BS in. That and we like pictures....lots of pictures.

Your 'Stich Roadcrafter and it's condition speaks volumes. I'm proud to admit that I'm an Iron Butt rider....which means you can ride around the country-side at an elevated pace with no destination or particular reason to ride other than the ride itself. We are bad about riding 600 miles one-way just to eat lunch with other IB buddies from the other end of the country only for each to return home that same day (or wee hours of the next morning). Central Texas for BBQ, Memphis for hamburgers, Lafayette for gumbo, etc.

I find it as no surprise that serious motorcyclist find themselves in the Airstream arena. A serious motorcyclist welcomes self-inflicted hardships (riding in the rain, cold, heat, etc. when you have a perfectly good cage sitting at home) and camping just seems to go hand in hand with that mind-set. Motorcyclist seem to gel well with other motorcyclist although they may have never met before or will never meet again....same goes in the camping world. A motorcyclist that travels (multi-state, etc...not bar hoppers) does have to do plenty of planning and preparation as you are limited of what you can take with you. Same with camping but on a larger scale. A serious motorcyclist is mobile at heart so loading up a camper and jetting out of town isn't Greek to him. A serious motorcyclist that is trying to make time covering long distances isn't above catching a "power nap" in a truck stop or rest area to keep the show rolling...same with camper life.

My main LD bike....3 GPS's, two XM subscriptions, radar detector with screamer, laser jammer with screamer, FLIR (forward looking infrared camera, two TPMS, 7.8 gallon auxiliary fuel cell, rally timer, volt meter, volt light indicator, GoPro, two sets of HID driving lights, rear tire on front, car tire (run-flat) on rear, two sets of foot pegs, two sets of highway pegs, hydration system, towing a carbon fiber trailer with complete rear wheel, extra front tire w/spoons, on-board compressor, etc.

Did this one in 21:12...5 bonus locations and an 18-wheeler burning on the interstate in Atlanta.

South Florida...

Central Florida

Million Dollar Highway...

Same spot...different wheels.

Chief Joseph Highway...

Beartooth

With the Pan America, I can merge motorcycles into camping. By the same token, you can merge campers into motorcycling.

The little trailers are more of a "spectacle" at a campground as opposed to an Airstream being truly impressive.

Just wish I could figure out a way to haul this "motorcycle" along with the PA without involving more people.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Man, I need more time off so I can come ride with y'all- if y'all ain't too proud to ride with an old back Road King!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
I can only say WOW!

Just stumbled across this thread, and I feel like I've been reunited with long lost brothers. Was once hot for cars, but now they just seem boring compared to bikes. I really caught the Airstream bug when I found this '89 Motorhome that was custom built for Jim McClure back when he was the National Champion with his Top Fuel Harley. This might have been Airstream's first real toy hauler! The red striped pic was as purchased five years ago. Since then, new cockpit and dash, reconfigured frame to accommodate 12 foot slide out ramp, and full polish of course. Just not enough time in a day.

These 147 cube customs will make for some sweet cargo. Still need to build out the interior and trim out the rear garage. Totally inspired by Z's PanAmerica mods.

Thanks Z, I've been in need of a glimpse of how cool it can someday be! Love your attention to detail! Ever think of buffing that thing out??

Pics of more stuff to follow.

Charly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0003.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	223527   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0025.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	866.7 KB
ID:	223528  

Name:	CIMG0019.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	849.6 KB
ID:	223529   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0008.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	837.4 KB
ID:	223530  

Name:	CIMG0001.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	835.8 KB
ID:	223531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	223532  

streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
You guys have some interesting stuff…. so, maybe I need to find a Panamerica…. this is a snap of my last cross country solo, the one which convinced me to purchase an Airstream and travel without all the packing/unpacking required each night on the bike.

"The Midwest" by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

Oh, yes… in 2008, age 66, I decided to not do anymore 7,000 miles solos…. the bike was well equipped, however, voice activated phone, Sirius/XM, GPS, Valentine One, heated grips, and plug for vest…. Three peg sets made it great for standing up for a mile or two when one gets bored…. Longest day on this bike… only 700 miles. I was never able to get into the Iron Butt crowd, too old , too fast...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #167

DeSoto , Texas
uh-oh

You all going to drag the IBA into this?
WBoyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoyter View Post
You all going to drag the IBA into this?
Oh, no doubt about it. Do you perceive that as a problem?

Z
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #169

DeSoto , Texas
Nope!

Like Mr. Steve Earle says, 'It follows me whetever I go...'

W. Boyter
IBR #421
WBoyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoyter View Post
Like Mr. Steve Earle says, 'It follows me whetever I go...'

W. Boyter
IBR #421
Steve Earle is from Texas, too. Huh?

For folks that don't know, W. Boyter posted his Iron Butt number in his signature line. It being a three digit number indicates Mr. Boyter has participated in the "big" Iron Butt rally held every other year (odd years). Many refer to it as the "11,000 miles in 11 days" rally....however, it's anything but. Some have clocked out with 14+K miles in 11 days. It is not a race but a radical scavenger hunt on steroids. The clock and the elements are your adversaries and there is a multitude of combinations of various "bonus location" to draw you off the shortest path to your next check-point (Deadhorse, AK and Key West, FL are usually two of the big draws). Aside from testing riding abilities, endurance, routing, scheduling, strategies play a major role. You can ride the most miles and still not win the rally if you don't have the points. You have to keep your mental edge during a physically, mentally and mechanically demanding situation. It is not for the faint of heart nor sissies. It is a major (and expensive) commitment for both man and machine. The fellow that finishes dead last has still completed a major feat.

The fact that Mr. Boyter has ridden in the "big" rally would also indicate he has ridden in many smaller rallies, leading up to that, I'm sure he's done many "cert" rides along the way. Most, if not all, IB riders generally ride big miles in general whether documented or not. It is a riding style that you constantly work on.

To those that are "in the know" realize that having the 3 digit number is a big deal and tells you a lot about the rider/person. Without meeting Mr. Boyter I can surmise that he is a fellow that will walk head-on into adverse conditions with optimism, he's the type that once starts something he sees it through to the end, he's a planner, a strategist and is mechanically savvy. All big rally participants I have been around are of above average intelligence. I'm sure Mr. Boyter has encounter some tough times over his life but I bet those 11 days rank up high on his list of tough days.

As part of all IB rides, documentation comes into play. When you submit your documentation to IB for confirmation, you have to know that they are going to assume the worst and therefore, you have make it abundantly clear that you exceed the minimum requirements for the particular ride. If there is something "fuzzy" about your route (missed receipt at a major direction change, etc.), they have no qualms in telling you they can't prove your route based on what you submitted (which will make you do better next time). However, once something is confirmed to be a legitimate ride, IB keeps a record of it. It eliminates the bar room banter about who rode what and when. Mr. Boyter participated in 2011 on his BMW and finished quite well.

I have been riding continuously since the early 70's and have been doing long-distance riding for many years. I was aware of the IBA but saw no need to document my rides...I knew what I did and didn't need no "stinking" certification to prove it. I've got a buddy that I've been riding with since the late 70's (and still ride a lot together). Some time back, I suggested trying a "cert" ride since we were already heading out West anyway. I figured we would treat it like a game and play along. We had about 1,600 miles to go and figured we'd start with a BB1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours). On the first day, we did about 1,100 miles and stopped for the night...easy peasy. Got up the next morning an shoved off early. Looked like we were going to have our mileage in by 11:00 am...a walk in the park....until my buddy had a rear flat on his K1200LT about 60 miles east of Albuquerque, NM. Well, that changed things dramatically and the IB clock was still running. We tried to plug the tire but where we were inserting the plug, the hole in the tire kept getting bigger. We wrestled with it for a while to try to get it to hold enough air to get it off the side of the interstate and to the next exit. I rode up to the next exit to get a large can of FixAFlat and spoke with a guy at the truck stop about changing the tire. He said that they wouldn't work on a motorcycle tire but gave me a number to a fellow that would. Called the guy and he said that if I brought him the wheel and a new tire, he would change it. Got on the phone and finally found the right size tire for it...in Albuquerque. So I hauled butt to get the tire (I was towing a trailer)...had a little difficulty locating the dealership...tic toc, tic toc. In the mean time, my buddy was going to pull the wheel off. Finally had the tire in my hands and headed back 60 miles to the get the wheel and get the new tire mounted. Got back to his bike, loaded the wheel and headed back up by the truck stop...tic toc. The fellow that agreed to change the tire, at this point, couldn't be reached on his cell phone. We tried him for 30-45 minutes before giving up on him...tic toc. So, I loaded the wheel and tire up and headed back West to the BMW dealership. Once back, they asked me for the VIN for the bike so that they could initiate a work order. I didn't have the VIN and couldn't raise my buddy on the cellphone. There was so much traffic on the interstate, he couldn't hear it ringing. And they weren't starting on it without the VIN...period. After about an hour of waiting at the dealership, my buddy just happened to look at his phone and noticed all the missed calls. He called and we were able to give them the VIN number. Tic toc. A fellow in a white lab coat came and got the wheel from me. I could see through a window in the service area where he was working on it. He seemed slow but very methodical about what he was doing. He got the tire mounted but there it sat. About 10-15 minutes later (after break time?), he got the wheel and started spin balancing...all good but very slow. Finally the wheel with new tire was back in my hands and I was heading East. I got back to the bike and put the wheel back on. My buddy was looking rough after sitting out in the sun baking for several hours...he had made a tent on the bike and was up under it to get out of the direct sun. With the wheel back on, we had to go get him hydrated and cooled off before we could think about getting back on track. Back on the road and finally west of Albuquerque, I noticed his rear tire appeared to be low. We got off the interstate at Grants, NM to survey the situation. Mr. Methodical in the white lab coat did everything right but check the valve stem...and it was cracked. Tic toc. Well, our time expired on what was looking like a slam dunk ride. As the clock ticked down, I could feel our chances slipping away. It was kind of a weird excitement and I liked it. We did submit our first day documentation and got our first cert along with our five digit IB number. In Grants, there are no motorcycle dealerships or any conventional tire stores that will work on a motorcycle tire. We found a little shop that specializes in Harleys and I asked them for help. They bent over backwards helping us (as opposed to the BMW shop who knew my friend was stranded on the side of the road). Though it was a two or three man operation, I was very impressed about their sense of urgency. The balance of the trip was a pleasure.

Ever since that time, I've been hooked on IB riding. As someone that still works full time (self employed), it's hard for me to break away from work for long stretches at a time but I take what I can for these rides as I can cram a week's worth of riding into a long holiday weekend. I've done more than one ride where I was unsuccessful at reaching my objective....and surprisingly, those have been the most enjoyable, exciting rides. If you finish a ride with hours to spare, it's not nearly as exciting as those that are right down to the wire (and some times on the wrong side of the wire). Sometimes you can do everything perfect and have everything in order for a sure-fire, clean finish....only to find an 18-wheeler burning on the interstate in the middle of a lightning storm just east of Flaggstaff as your clock winds down. Being involved in IB rides has encouraged me to see many things around the country (historical landmarks, battlefields, unique business, etc.) that I would have never seen otherwise.

I have enjoyed (and advocate) being involved in the IBA so much that I find myself recruiting newbies as I want them to enjoy what I enjoy so much. I have been responsible for 13 people getting their first ride in and their IB number (holding their hands and showing them the ropes). Of the 13, all but one has gone on to pursue more IB rides. It is the best group that I have voluntary been associated with in my entire adult life. It is low key and there is no political correctness in the group (including butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, cops, state troopers, lawyers, doctors, etc.). They act like a bunch of grown men ought to act when left up to their own devices. I look forward to each and every event. In the long run, it's just another excuse to ride and a good destination with good folks on the other end. I try to spread the IB word among other riders that have thought of trying it but just aren't familiar with the process or gratification...like it was for me in the beginning.

Three newbies on this ride...at 800 miles, they looked ragged out...at 1,050 miles, they looked like they had just won a UFC Championship match...chest poked out and already talking about their next IB ride.

Plan your ride, ride your plan. My helmet is off to you, Mr. Boyter.

Z
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Now that was a long post!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Now that was a long post!
Just trying to give credit where credit is due.

When I go to these events and it's time for ceremonies (cert hand out, etc.), you wouldn't believe the amount of gray hair (and cumulative mileage) in the room. We are having a "ride to eat" weekend gathering in Central Arkansas in two weeks. There are guys riding in from all four corners of the country...many of them well into their seventies. I'm hoping if I can stand close enough to some of these guys, some of it will rub off on me. I find it inspiring to see these guys who seem to be getting younger some how.

One of the fellows (and ranking member in the IBA) has ridden to every county seat in all 50 states in the country...documented. Think about that. Or the fellow that has done SS1000s (1000 miles in 24 hours) in the city limits of Houston, Chicago, LA, Boston, Denver, etc.. and he's a State Trooper, at that.

Anyone that has the gumption to sign up for the big one gets my respect.

M.Hony...you are going to get your credit, too. And it will be a "book"...all I need now is some pictures of you in action.

Z
Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Z, That was a long one, but a good one.

A long time ago when I was first off to college, I was amazed when my father drove me the 300 miles or so to get there, dropped me off, and then just turned around and headed home. It seemed super human.

Fresh out of college back in '77, I bought a Ducati 900 Super Sport that was the hottest sport bike in the world at the time. It was also my only means of transportation from NYC back to home near Boston. Looking back (beyond the obvious regret that I ever sold that bike), I'd still to this day say that a 4 hour ride on that machine was at least borderline super human. It was so punishing that I can remember once starting out for the Big Apple and not getting 10 miles before turning around and looking for a ride to the airport. My tweaked back had aborted that trip in short order. About the same time, my younger brother bought a '78 R100rs BMW (that was quite a machine in its day), and we would occasionally trade rides back and forth. Equipped with Krauser bags and a rain suit, it didn't take long for me to see the light. Confidently charging through thunderstorms, as opposed to hiding under bridges had some appeal, so I transitioned from riding fast and sexy, to fast and comfortable. When he decided to sell his R100, I bailed out of the Ducati in a hurry ($1500, OUCH... that number still stings) in order to try to buy it. But of course I couldn't swing a bike loan at the time, and ended up as a pedestrian for years to follow.

Time passed, I hit 40, and one day decided that if I didn't take some time off work that I might kill someone. I bought a used '93 K1100RS BMW on Friday, picked up a tent and sleeping bag, and headed for California on Sunday. I only had two weeks off, so I planned on shipping it back home from the West Coast (which turned out to be a good thing). Well…. on day one I went about 400 miles and felt OK. Day two, about the same, but a little saddle sore. Day three, I'm starting to squirm a bit in the seat. You get the idea…… After 10 days on the road, by the time I got to my buddy's place in Laguna Beach, I was in no shape to ride home anyhow. The sport riding handlebars and stock seat had taken their toll.

Along the way, where US90 crosses the Missouri River, I pulled into an A&W restaurant to escape the heat that must have been pushing 90-100 degrees that day, and ended up chatting with a guy that pulled in on a big Gold Wing (which at the time seemed so car-like to me as to hardly be considered a true motorcycle). He was probably a few years older than me and was heading back to Buffalo, NY from Sturgis; and he was talking about riding STRAIGHT THROUGH! I just shook my head. He showed me his bike, and a few of the features that he had added to allow him to ride so many miles. I felt very much like the student being taught by the master, and I still think about that guy whenever I pass that A&W.

In '96, I bought BMW's new R1100rt and got more serious about distance riding capability. Eventually I upgraded to a 2004 1150rt which was the final version of that same model. Between the two bikes, I've done several cross country trips that generally start out or finish up with a 2000 mile run from Boston to Sturgis, or vice versa. My best time is 30 hours. Last summer, now at age 60, I rode a slightly longer route that took 33 hours. Since I don't know anyone as crazy, I always do the trip alone; and pretty much do it just for the sake of efficiently using the relatively little time that I allow myself to take off. I can't really say that it's fun, and it certainly isn't comfortable, but it sure gets me to where I want to be in a hurry.

Z, I've got to say that the prep you've done to your Wings far exceeds anything I have ever conceived of. How much design time, and how much fabrication time, went into that master control panel?? Absolutely awesome. Your photo documentation is equally impressive. Thanks.

So how does all this connect to trailers??
Something about having the right tool for the job maybe, and the knowledge to use it???
Who knows.. but that's what I like about this thread.

Charly
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Z, That was a long one, but a good one.

A long time ago when I was first off to college, I was amazed when my father drove me the 300 miles or so to get there, dropped me off, and then just turned around and headed home. It seemed super human.

Fresh out of college back in '77, I bought a Ducati 900 Super Sport that was the hottest sport bike in the world at the time. It was also my only means of transportation from NYC back to home near Boston. Looking back (beyond the obvious regret that I ever sold that bike), I'd still to this day say that a 4 hour ride on that machine was at least borderline super human. It was so punishing that I can remember once starting out for the Big Apple and not getting 10 miles before turning around and looking for a ride to the airport. My tweaked back had aborted that trip in short order. About the same time, my younger brother bought a '78 R100rs BMW (that was also quite a machine in its day), and we would occasionally trade rides back and forth. Equipped with Krauser bags and a rain suit, it didn't take long for me to see the light. Confidently charging through thunderstorms, as opposed to hiding under bridges had some appeal, so I transitioned from riding fast and sexy, to fast and comfortable. When he decided to sell his R100, I bailed out of the Ducati in a hurry ($1500, OUCH... that number still stings) in order to try to buy it. But of course I couldn't swing a bike loan at the time, and ended up as a pedestrian for years to follow.

Time passed, I hit 40, and one day decided that if I didn't take some time off work that I might kill someone. I bought a used '93 K1100RS BMW on Friday, picked up a tent and sleeping bag, and headed for California on Sunday. I only had two weeks off, so I planned on shipping it back home from the West Coast (which turned out to be a good thing). Well…. on day one I went about 400 miles and felt OK. Day two, about the same, but a little saddle sore. Day three, I'm starting to squirm a bit in the seat. You get the idea…… After 10 days on the road, by the time I got to my buddy's place in Laguna Beach, I was in no shape to ride home anyhow. The sport riding handlebars and stock seat had taken their toll.

Along the way, where US90 crosses the Missouri River, I pulled into an A&W restaurant to escape the heat that must have been pushing 90-100 degrees that day, and ended up chatting with a guy that pulled in on a big Gold Wing (which at the time seemed so car-like to me as to hardly be considered a true motorcycle). He was probably a few years older than me and was heading back to Buffalo, NY from Sturgis; and he was talking about riding STRAIGHT THROUGH! I just shook my head. He showed me his bike, and a few of the features that he had added to allow him to ride so many miles. I felt very much like the student being taught by the master, and I still think about that guy whenever I pass that A&W.

In '96, I bought BMW's new R1100rt and got more serious about distance riding capability. Eventually I upgraded to a 2004 1150rt which was the final version of that same model. Between the two bikes, I've done several cross country trips that generally start out or finish up with a 2000 mile run from Boston to Sturgis, or vice versa. My best time is 30 hours. Last summer, now at age 60, I rode a slightly longer route that took 33 hours. Since I don't know anyone as crazy, I always do the trip alone; and pretty much do it just for the sake of efficiently using the relatively little time that I allow myself to take off. I can't really say that it's fun, and it certainly isn't comfortable, but it sure gets me to where I want to be in a hurry.

Z, I've got to say that the prep you've done to your Wings far exceeds anything I have ever conceived of. How much design time, and how much fabrication time, went into that master control panel?? Absolutely awesome. Your photo documentation is equally impressive. Thanks.

So how does all this connect to trailers??
Something about having the right tool for the job maybe???
Who knows.. but that's what I like about this thread.

Charly
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
OK, let me say that my previous post was also a long one, but not worth reading twice!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
Oh, no doubt about it. Do you perceive that as a problem?

Z
Another double WOW...WOW...WOW...WOW...WOW... or more!

Thank you for taking the time to post pics.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Just trying to give credit where credit is due.

When I go to these events and it's time for ceremonies (cert hand out, etc.), you wouldn't believe the amount of gray hair (and cumulative mileage) in the room. We are having a "ride to eat" weekend gathering in Central Arkansas in two weeks. There are guys riding in from all four corners of the country...many of them well into their seventies. I'm hoping if I can stand close enough to some of these guys, some of it will rub off on me. I find it inspiring to see these guys who seem to be getting younger some how.

One of the fellows (and ranking member in the IBA) has ridden to every county seat in all 50 states in the country...documented. Think about that. Or the fellow that has done SS1000s (1000 miles in 24 hours) in the city limits of Houston, Chicago, LA, Boston, Denver, etc.. and he's a State Trooper, at that.

Anyone that has the gumption to sign up for the big one gets my respect.

M.Hony...you are going to get your credit, too. And it will be a "book"...all I need now is some pictures of you in action.

Z

In action with the motorcycle or Airstream?
These days the Airstream gets more use, but the bike is still my daily driver to work.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
How much design time, and how much fabrication time, went into that master control panel?? Charly
The Ducati SS was an animal in it's day...and you'll be pleased to know that they are bringing big money these days.

If you get bored or stuck inside on a rainy day, here's the scoop on the black LD Wing...and related items. At 220K views, that thread (link below) obviously struck a nerve with many. Globally, many hate it, many love it...and frankly, I don't care which way they swing...it was built by me for me...and I'm quite pleased with the results. I wish I had a nickel for every time I was asked "where's the flux capacitor" or "where's the espresso machine". Good or bad reviews, it's been fun stirring them up anyway.

I modified my Wing...cat is out of the bag.

Z
Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
You guys have some interesting stuff…. so, maybe I need to find a Panamerica…. this is a snap of my last cross country solo, the one which convinced me to purchase an Airstream and travel without all the packing/unpacking required each night on the bike.

"The Midwest" by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

Oh, yes… in 2008, age 66, I decided to not do anymore 7,000 miles solos…. the bike was well equipped, however, voice activated phone, Sirius/XM, GPS, Valentine One, heated grips, and plug for vest…. Three peg sets made it great for standing up for a mile or two when one gets bored…. Longest day on this bike… only 700 miles. I was never able to get into the Iron Butt crowd, too old , too fast...
Msmoto

That is a very nice looking sport touring bike you have there, but I can't figure out what it is. I am guessing Ducati or BMW, but I really don't know.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
The Ducati SS was an animal in it's day...and you'll be pleased to know that they are bringing big money these days.

If you get bored or stuck inside on a rainy day, here's the scoop on the black LD Wing...and related items. At 220K views, that thread (link below) obviously struck a nerve with many. Globally, many hate it, many love it...and frankly, I don't care which way they swing...it was built by me for me...and I'm quite pleased with the results. I wish I had a nickel for every time I was asked "where's the flux capacitor" or "where's the espresso machine". Good or bad reviews, it's been fun stirring them up anyway.

I modified my Wing...cat is out of the bag.

Z
Good news, Zackybilly we just installed a flux capacitor in our GS 60th last weekend! Now you will have an answer for them ...

ThinkGeek :: Flux Capacitor USB Car Charger