RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All the restaurants (all 3 of them) in Jackson Center and the surrounding small towns is really good and reasonably priced. Ain't nothin' healthy (everything fried) and there's not a grocery store for at least 15 miles!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I'm gonna hold out for a ProPride.
Ran into a guy at the mother ship towing a 28' with a Range Rover Sport and a ProPride.
10-4 on the hitch. As luck would have it and of the two trailers I have, I think I got the heaviest tongue weights of the lot. The 28' runs about 950 lbs. (considerably more than the Classic 30 I just got rid of) and I don't even want to talk about the tongue weight of the PA in public.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There's another guy next to me in the Terraport with a Ram 2500 and a Classic 30 slide-out with a ProPride.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Zackybilly

I hear what you are saying about the "freedom" that the Airstreams give you. I could not agree more. I really like the 95 34' that I have and love my 66 Tradewind, but I still long for a 66-68 Caravel that I can tow with my BMW 330ci or possibly the latest generation VW GTI (258 ft-lbs of torque).

I stand in awe of your design and metal working skills with the improvements you have made recently on your PA. I get tired just reading the thread about all the changes you have recently completed on your PA. Great work!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I stand in awe of your design and metal working skills....
I don't but I do find it fun. This trailer gives me a lot more latitude for personalized mods than my Signature does, which I like. I use a cordless drill, hack saw, half-fast dobbing with a TIG welder, belt sander, pop rivets and desire. Although I don't want to install things that look hideous, I'm primarily going for what I think will function best for my needs while looking remotely presentable. There are things I can think of that would make for a more elegant design or solution to my needs but many times those approaches aren't really practical time-wise, to me. Other than a couple of anchor bolt holes in the floor, I'm not really changing the basic trailer...not because of resale value but it just doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

For this application, I just didn't want to bind down two motorcycles in the garage and then, just pile crap all around them for the trip only to try to sort it out when reaching a destination. Most of the items in the "racks" are actually sitting on the floor. The racks are just a means to contain all that stuff.

I also enjoy the game...the mental game of trying to figure out what I need before I need it. I don't know about you, but I honestly enjoy preparing for a trip almost as much as making the trip. With projects like this, I work my butt off long hours at a time and rack my brain preparing while still at home so I don't have to work my butt off and rack my brain on a trip. Kind of an ounce of prevention....on steroids.

Z
Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Just got to ask why do you have so many C7 and what other cars do you have to bad we do not live closer we have a lot of same interest. I guess anybody who buys a Panamerica must think alike. I truly love my PA and can not see ever selling it. It is just so cool to just look at not including how well it works and pulls behind the Dodge. You just have to be someone that looks past trailers with 5 slides and bling and really look at what it will look like in ten years if well care for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	222313  
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
They would have sold way more PA if they would have used this pic as advertiizement thinks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	222321  
Old 09-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
As mentioned in a previous post, I was down to coming up with a means to stow my satellite dish in the Pan America. When using the dish in my International, there isn't many places to store an item of that size. It usually ended up in the bedroom or the back of the TV. I like the convenience of being able to watch my favorite television channels but just hauling the dish can be inconvenient. If at my destination and a satellite signal couldn't be accessed due to trees, etc., you basically had to partially rig it up to get it out from under foot.

I wanted to build a dedicated rack for the dish in the PA but had some requirements.
  • I wanted the ability to keep the dish stowed if a satellite signal couldn't be accessed.
  • I wanted a "stand alone" rack as opposed to incorporating it into my big road-side rack as I may change satellite systems in the future and don't want to have to re-build/re-configure the big rack.
  • I wanted the ability to install or remove the tripod legs while in the stowed position. As it was and with the rounded top of the dish, it was a PIA to try to hold everything still while pinning the legs and a situation where three hands would be nice. Its like the monkey and the football you've been hearing about for years.
  • I wanted provisions to store the tripod legs when the dish is not in use.
  • I wanted the rack positioned where it would have no influence on loading or unloading motorcycles, etc. and not interfere with the cargo door path.
  • I wanted provisions to store the power cord and coax where it didn't look like a bird's nest or an extension cord nightmare.
When building the big road-side rack, the length was adjusted to accommodate the satellite rack. This is the room I allocated for it. This bit of real estate isn't good for much else so a fixed rack seemed like a good idea to me.

Due to the contour of the trailer sides where you have more room as you move up the wall, I had to build a rack that was elevated to keep the dish out of the doorway. So I built this simple rack. This is the complete rack as pictured.

I built a framework and then, added some "channel" to accept the "flange" on the dish. I used "edge trim" on both sides of the channel to prevent the aluminum from gnawing on the dish in transit. From side to side, the channel is snug on the dish, fore & aft, the edge trim is snug on the dish.

Though a stand-alone unit, I aligned it to where it looked like it was one big integral rack. It only requires two "winged nuts" and 10 seconds to remove or install the dish rack (if needed). There is a "notched" plate mounted at the bottom of the rack "receiver" that coincides with a boss on the dish base. The plate keeps the dish indexed and prevents it from rotating in the rack.

One of the problems with pinning the legs was that, to me, Winegard selected the wrong pins. The ones provided with it are blunt-nose with an over-kill latch. I replaced the OEM ones (top) with some SS ones (bottom) with a longer taper on the nose. Stabbing through square tubing will never be as easy as stabbing through a solid piece with a drilled hole but it is better.

So, in it's new rack, the legs can be put on before hand at rig up and removed once back in the rack.

With the dish rigged down, I can store the legs on the side of the rack. The legs slip over some square tubing pegs at the base of the rack and a "flip-up" keeper tab (shown in the down position) is used to keep them in place. It's hard to see but there is a roll-pin located just below the "hinge" bolt that keeps the latch from jiggling downward in transit.

In a less than elegant manner, I rigged up to store my compass near the dish. Before, it was always kept in the bottom of a drawer elsewhere in the trailer. Now, though ugly, I have the means close at hand to determine if it is even worth trying to rig up the dish for a specific location or not.

To deal with the power cord/coax storage, I went from plastic to metal.

I took an empty spool or reel that held wire for my MIG welder as I didn't want "to have to re-invent the reel". I took some 2.25" mechanical plastic and made a hub for the reel. I weld two strategically placed washer to the reel. One to accommodate a coax connection and the other to accommodate a knob. The "wing nut" in the middle allows easy remove of the reel from the hub. After welding, I powder coated it "aluminum" as not to clash with my motif.

The reel mounts using one of the base "wing nuts" and swings up under the dish to keep it out of the way.

Once you are ready to rig up the dish, the reel swings out and the power cord and coax are pulled out to connect to the dish. With that end attached, the reel is taken off the hub and moved near the outside cable connection. A short coax "jumper" is used from the trailer to the reel.

When time to rig down the dish, the reel is put back on the hub to crank the coax back in. A safety pin is dropped into the reel "arm" to prevent it from trying to pivot back under the dish due to pulling the coax as reflected in this fuzzy picture.

Clearance for Clarence...

Just a couple more "garage" projects and I can stick a fork in it. I've already started on the next one but am not at liberty to share pics just yet as it isn't that far along at this minute.

As a side note, I've been dreading (as I sometimes do) addressing my spare tire rack to harbor my new 16" Michelin shod Sendell spare for some reason. At any rate, I stuck it under the front of the trailer this morning to see what mods I was going to have to make for the fit...no mods required...fits like a glove. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

Z
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The modifications you are doing are awesome.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
The modifications you are doing are awesome.
M.Hony,

You should know...it's a Mississippi thing.

Z
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedecanada View Post
Just got to ask why do you have so many C7 and what other cars do you have....
Ped,

I haven't been much of a car guy for years. I did the hotrod muscle car thing a big part of my younger years...but hadn't been too excited over any cars in a long time. I've been driving Surburbans since the mid-nineties...mostly company vehicles...I wasn't too excited about them either really. They were nice rides and more or less, a utility vehicle to me.

I liked the C6 Corvette but not enough to get me off my wallet. When I saw the C7 (and total redesign including aluminum chassis), I like what they did with it and they finally put a lot of attention in on the interior. There are only two parts on the car that carried over from the C6...one roof latch on the coupe and a cockpit air filter. I bought the blue one (Laguna Blue)...it's a 3LT with Z51 package...bigger wheels, bigger brakes, dry sump engine (460hp), magnetic ride control, extra engine & transmission coolers and "cut outs" on the exhaust for a nice growl when in Sport or Track modes. I loved it. I found myself looking for excuses to run errands and such. Haven't felt that in a long time. Every time I got in it, it felt/feels so good. It will run like a scalded dog and yet, they get 29-31mpg....I have gotten as little as 12 mpg but that was at warp speeds.

I have two sons working with me. My oldest got a Mechanical Engineering degree with flying colors about two years ago and he is really doing well at work. Not only does he do good work (designing) but he isn't afraid of hard work either (assembling tools, long hours, etc.). Aside from good pay, I decided I would show my appreciation so he now has a white (Artic White) 'Vette company car so he could experience that "feel good". No note, no insurance expense, no maintenance expense, no fuel expense. Seemed reasonable to me. His is a 3LT (455hp...5 less hp because his pipe don't open up like mine) with two tops (painted carbon fiber & tinted translucent).

When my son's car came in, a red 'Vette was delivered to the dealership for stock at the same time. I was shopping for another company truck as to put another Service Technician in the field. My shop foreman had just gotten a new Silverado 4 door 2wd. After looking at the red 'Vette, I figured that I could give Shop Foreman's truck to the Service Tech and just buy him the 'Vette since it was in the same price range of the truck I was shopping for. He was receptive to the idea. The red one (Torch Red) is a 1LT (base model), 455hp, no HUD, no Nav with a ZF-1 package (bigger wheels and bigger spoiler). So two of them I bought as company vehicles. I've got eight other company trucks including Avalanches...all Chevys and all nice trucks. Don't take this wrong as I take care of my employees but you can give a fellow a big raise and you are never through paying for it. On the other hand, you can give them an extra nice vehicle...and it's paid for and over with. They're happy and I'm happy. We really got a good crew and I want them to be happy, too. I'm greedy when it come to business and making money but I'm not stingy after I get it. I don't want my joy to be at the expense of someone else's pain. I treat my employees like family and they know I'm their safety net if life throws them a curve.

Since we're talking, I have to say I bought a 2013 3/4-ton Suburban LT w/ towing package....I'm not real pleased with it. I've had 1/2-ton Suburbans that felt like they had more ass than this one. Body-wise, its what you would expect from a Suburban...the ride isn't that great...not in a stiff way, it wanders though its been back to the dealership several times over it to no avail. It pulls okay for a gas burner but sucks the hell out of gas (3.73 gears) in all conditions. But most of all, it doesn't inspire confidence when towing. I've towed a Classic 30 behind it with medium results and a 28' International Signature (heavier tongue) with so-so results. I wouldn't even considering trying to tow the Pan America with it. Besides working the hell out of it, it wouldn't be a joyful experience for me either. It's just not enough truck for the PA.

On the other hand, I bought a 2014 Silverado 3/4-ton Duramax/Allison that I love. 4wd, 4 door, LTZ...all options. It's a fine truck. It pulls like a freight train and gets better fuel economy towing an Airstream than the Suburban does empty. Besides exhaust braking, it's got damn good, big disc brakes. Not towing and running 70-75 mph on the interstate, I'm getting 20-21 mpg. This truck seems to be the perfect match for the PA and a nice pair they do make. If it wasn't for the third row seat in the Suburban, it would be gone already. With that in consideration, I'm considering sending it to Florida for a DuraBurb conversion since I'm so fond of that drive-train...that with the addition of a Class V receiver and an auxiliary fuel tank.

The only other car I currently have is this...a Morgan Three Wheeler.

It's got a 2.0 liter S&S engine, Mazda 5-speed tranny, shaft to a right-angle gear box and belt drive to the rear wheel. The QA/QC at Airstream pales in comparison to that of Morgan but there is just something about it that keeps pushing me to get it sorted out properly. It's a spectacle at a gas station but off by yourself driving it on secondary roads, it feels good. It will run about 115 mph but it feels like 180. It's raw and raunchy and I like that. There is no ABS, traction control, nanny-state computer. It's plain and simple with a good power to weight ratio (118hp/1,050 lbs). I like old motorcycles and this thing just seems to fit for me. It, by the way, is classified and tagged as a motorcycle.

Along the same lines, I have another reverse three wheeler on order....

It's a Polaris Slingshot. It's the opposite end of the spectrum from the Morgan. It has a 2.4-liter EcoTech all-aluminum engine from GM (220 hp), 5-speed, ABS, storage compartments behind the seats, cruise control, Bluetooth stereo, etc...and weighs 1,700 lbs.. It also has traction control and stability control...and a switch to turn them off when you want to go drifting. They are supposed to make delivery mid to late October. I bought an Indian motorcycle a few months ago and it is now produced by Polaris. Polaris did a good job on the bike and I admire their aggression in the industry. I'm sure the SlingShot will be technically superior to the Morgan (at half the price) but the Morgan, to me, is cooler than the SlingShot...for what that's worth. The SlingShot, too, will be classified as a motorcycle.

But, at heart, I'm still a motorcycle guy.

Z
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Z,
What is your business?
Can I come work for you?
Is there someone on staff who rides all the bikes and keeps them clean?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #133
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Z,
What is your business?
Can I come work for you?
Is there someone on staff who rides all the bikes and keeps them clean?
M.Hony,

I design and build down-hole tools for the oilfield & chemical plants. Some of the equipment is just pure manufacturing...some we supervise the installation in the well. I am sort of in a niche market but globally, it works out. We ship tools all over the world....from Po Dunk, Mississippi. I bought out my old employer about 8 years ago and then expanded and diversified it. I took a physical to go to work on a rig on my 18th birthday and that's how I got my education. My career has been much like a pin-ball machine but as long as the ball was moving up the board, I was going for it.

I was on a rig yesterday...up most of the night dealing with another job going on south of San Antonio, TX...fixing to head back to the rig this morning. I've already sent hotshots out this morning delivering equipment to other on-going jobs. I've got other jobs going in West Virginia, Indiana, New Mexico and another in Sou. Texas.

As far as coming to work, we don't discriminate...as long as you ride a motorcycle.

The fellow that does all the washing, building, maintenance & riding is yours truly.

Heading back to the rig...have a good day.

Z
Old 09-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How many trucks?
How many employees.
I am a DOT compliance/fleet maintenance guy.
Please post pictures of your Indian.
Go for the Duraburb.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #135
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
11 trucks...32 employees.

Some of the first to hit the dealership...ABS, cruise control and keyless ignition standard....these are base models. No primary chain to deal with...one common oil drain and holds 5.5 quarts. of oil. 111 cubic inches with gobs of torque.

Has considerably more cornering clearance than my RoadKing had.

...and I was probably one of the first to fix a flat tire on one. To remove the back wheel, you pull a big pin under the seat that holds the mono-shock in position. Note: It has a rigid aluminum frame.

Which allows the swing-arm to drop down....

Remove one bolt to remove the ABS sensor...

...and two bolts holding the caliper.

...and Bob's your Uncle. A belt change is simple on this bike, if needed.

Z
Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Your story is very similar to mine. I own a small private oil company and land company right now. This is my third oil company me and my partner build up sold off the previous two. I have also been a part owner in a drilling rig company and a oilfeild trucking company which we also sold. My education was also the same started as a roughneck at age 18 on a rig and seen big opportunity. I also worked oversea in Russia for 3 years. I would be funny to see what other PA owners occupations are.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I reckon 11 trucks and 32 people isn't enough to have a dedicated DOT compliance man.
2 Indians? Those are some beautiful bikes.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
What a great thread!!! Looks like a lot of good work and play going on!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Are the Indians the same except one has a passenger pillion and one has a luggage rack?
Those are some beautiful bikes.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #140

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm diggin' the detail work on the Mods!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote