Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Had fun with a few like-minded dirt bike pals this past weekend near McCleary, WA. Took a 2 day advanced dirt bike course that taught me lots of great lessons on getting up steep hills, tight single track, and over logs and boulders.

My colleagues were in tents and I felt a little guilty for not roughing it, though 8 hours on a dirt bike and I didn't want to sleep on the ground.

Notice the big GS1200. He handled that pig like it was much lighter bike, and while he had 5-8 dumps of the bike, it was low speed and a non-issue, just needing help to pick it up. I took delivery of a sweet KTM 1190R this past weekend, but was not ready to take it hard core off road until I get some seat time and a few scratches.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
I like the pic and it looks like a good time for all.

As I understand it, the KTM 1190R is the new bad boy on the block (ABS, traction control, etc...technology out the wazoo). To be such a light bike for its size, I imagine it could still be a handful trying to follow KLRs in the tight stuff. Tourtech can probably put a dent in your wallet trimming the KTM out...they are pricey but I like their stuff as its almost milspec.

As far as the guilt about roughing it, you just planned further ahead than the rest of the gang...and you were "roughing it" when you shelled out the coin for your AS. You shouldn't feel guilt because they envy your digs or that you had the "edge" on them the following morning. You may be planting an Airstream seeds in some of their futures.

When I was young and wild (as opposed to old and wild) I rode many a mile on dirt bikes (I'm from the On Any Sunday generation) but one of my favorites was I loved to ride off-road at night...before cellphones and Spot Trackers. It was much cooler and the fun was at a slower pace due to visibility or lack thereof. Another thing I miss about those days is the smell of Castor oil or Klotz 2-stroke oil...just smelled like a good time. Although I got the GS1200 out of my system, I find myself lately lusting after a Super Tenere ES which I probably need like a hole in my head but I've never let that stop me before.

Just something about motorcycles and Airstreams go so well together...and both are conveniently my addictions. Thanks for posting the pic...I find it inspiring.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had our first trip last week to Long Beach to visit a couple of my wife's daughters. Crossed the scales at 18,860 pounds with 10,600 assigned to the truck. Had everything we could think off and then some just to see what we would scale. Still a 1,000 pounds less than the truck axle ratings. The trailer is probably close to it's GVW, so will keep that in mind when stowing any more stuff. We run the trailer's 16" Michelins at 80 psi and the truck factory 17" Michelins at 75 in front and 80 at the rear. Pressures were good.

No issues in 106 degree heat at 65 mph. Engine coolant was about 202 to 205 degrees and the transmission stayed around 170 with the rear differential about ten degrees cooler. The turbo EGT stayed under 1,100 degrees even during the mountain climb coming out of Palm Springs on I-10 East bound. On the level we saw EGT around 800.

Adding additional lighting to the truck and the last parts should be in by the time we get back from the 4CU rally in Santa Fe this coming weekend.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Switz,

Not trying to account for any of your limited spare time as I know you are a busy fellow on several continents....but when you are happy with your set up, it would sure be nice to read/see a recap on your rig on one spot.

I have the benefit of knowing how you are (on some levels) and how much research you do on all of your endeavors . Shamefully, I have to admit that I have followed your vapor trail on many things Airstream related as I know, without question, you have done your homework as always. No sense in re-inventing the wheel now that I know your standards.

With that being said and piecing together bits and pieces about your new AS, from the sounds of it, it has to be close, if not the ultimate rig. I know you and I, respectfully, don't agree on every aspect of life but I have noticed since making your acquaintance on another internet forum and later, in 2010, in person at an Eureka Springs, AR gathering (while fulfilling another trailering fetish), that you always manage to have the best of the best when it comes to equipment.

High tech (E-glass/carbon fiber) motorcycle product line which Switz has been instrumental in keeping afloat out of shear kindness.

Us heading into Telluride, CO....riding behind two fellows in their 80's? or there about who have been riding buddies for more than 50 years.

While I'm bragging on you, I've seen first hand how good you are to your friends and acquaintances (from all over the country) from working trade shows single handedly (in Knoxville, TN) for a friend who had a family emergency to changing out a less knowledgeable friend's blown shock (with you providing the spare shock and all the labor) on a trailer and fixing CB problems for others in the rain before the crack of dawn in Cedar City, UT. This is all stuff that any other man with your resources wouldn't do at any price, much less, doing it just because you felt it was the right thing to do. And there are too many more instances of random acts of kindness associated with you to type here that I know of and that's learning of these things from a distance. Folks, what we have here is a hell of a man who's heart is exponentially bigger than his wallet...which is saying plenty. I try not to give out too many blue ribbons but Lou (Switz) is at the top of the list. Too many times people are quick to talk about what they feel are the bad or negative things about others but don't go out of their way enough (including me) to point out other people's good points, traits or characteristics in this me, me, me society. If it belittles me to do so, then so be it, but with your over-whelming concern and sincere caring of others on a daily basis, it would be a shame not to give credit where credit is actually due even though I know you don't do what you do for the acknowledgement. Whether you know it or not, your humble demeanor has a humbling effect on those around you which doesn't happen too often in my case (proudly uncouth yet unrefined with a residual wild streak...and a camera).

Cedar City Hotel Parking Lot Repair Shop....

I want to be just like you if and when I grow up...but suspect I've waited too late in life to accomplish your achievements in business and/or in life. Although we aren't BFFs, I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance and wanted to share here what level of man we are dealing with.

Respectfully,

Z
Old 06-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
It's a small world after all....

Well, I was driving through a neighboring town when I saw something that caught my eye.

Low and behold, another Pan America in the flesh. I pulled over to look at it just as the fellow that was towing it came out of it with luggage heading to a motel room where the trailer was parked. The guy (a towing contractor) said that he had been towing it for about 4-5 years. He was towing with a 3/4-ton pick up with no WD bars/hitch. He, also, mentioned that Levi's has one but that was news to me.

It may be a Pan America but only to some degree. It has no panoramic windows in the front. No provisions for a hot water heater...

No trace of a furnace or fridge....but does have two A/C units.

No rock guards....obviously...

I can only wonder why it has the lower loops for propane bottles...

No sewer hook-ups nor holding tanks of any kind....

It was sporting Nebraska plates (go figure)...

Apparently, someone didn't like the way Airstream retained the loading ramp either...

I thought that I might see some trick improvements or specialty, one-off items but did not. The trailer is in kind of rough shape but suspect it's been wagged all over the country.

I would have liked to have see the interior but felt like the guy with the trailer was accommodating enough. I told him I had a PA and we shared some PA trivia but I didn't want the conversation to get weird so settled for just an outside view.

Well I've seen two of them in person now....just 17 more to go.

Z
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
You guys might enjoy the construction story of Aether Apparel's "Aetherstream". I spotted it at the BMWMOA rally in Salem OR last summer and considered lusting for one but afraid the wife is too attached to her Serenity so when we're pulling around the RT sits forlorn in the garage.

Link...
http://www.aetherapparel.com/journal/aetherstream/
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Does a Panamerica have Zip Dee chair storage?
If it didn't, I'm sure it does, now!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While it may lack ZipDee chairs, it can have a GoldWing chair......with the bike attached.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Does a Panamerica have Zip Dee chair storage?
If it didn't, I'm sure it does, now!
M.Hony,

It didn't come with a dedicated "cubby hole" for the ZipDee chairs like the other trailers do. Post No. 54 has a pic of my solution. I'm still working on that phase of the project. I can't post pictures yet for two reasons....1) it is top secret stuff for now and 2) AT&T forced us into their new and improved internet service which sucks horribly. It stalls out loading pictures and exceeds my patience level. It will barely handle emails much less any larger files. They claim it will get better soon but I don't know how soon. One of the disadvantages of living in a rural area.

JM,

Switz knows I'm a motorcycle nut, first hand...and the Pan America was the only way I saw fit to merge my two addictions together. Thank you for the link as I like looking at what others have done with theirs.

Z
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
You guys might enjoy the construction story of Aether Apparel's "Aetherstream". I spotted it at the BMWMOA rally in Salem OR last summer and considered lusting for one but afraid the wife is too attached to her Serenity so when we're pulling around the RT sits forlorn in the garage.

Link...
Aether – Journal | AETHERstream
My motorcycling days may be over (priorities have changed a bit with age), but I remember about 7 years ago going to the BMWMOA national rally in Burlington, Vt., I test rode a BMW GS and an RT. I was really looking forward to riding the GS, but my favorite ride by far was the RT. I can only imagine what a great ride the new 2014 liquid cooled RT is. An Airstream and a BMW RT. What a great combo.

My last sport touring bike was a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST, which I still own. It is the best sport touring bike I have ever owned. Even better than the 81 R100RS that I rode for 21 years. The photo is of my ST on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 40 miles from home.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-07_14-23-04_604.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	214508  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I've been trying not to read this thread as it makes me want a new bike very badly but at last I found a good excuse. I'm hunting down info and dimensions for the dinette seat and table found in the PA's and wondered if anyone could help me out?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Just let me know....

William,

If you'll let me know what you need dimension-wise, I'll get you hooked up. I have no idea of what you are up to but it would be interesting to hear.

As a side note, on my "dinette" table (which scopes down to convert to a bed), one of the spring-loaded pedelstals was sticky and therefore, a PIA raising and lowering so I replaced it.

The section that looks scored and galled was not the issue...it was the top section that was problematic. I cleaned, deburred, polished and lubed to no avail. The two pedestals have to work in unison to prevent either from binding so when installing the new one, I went to great pains to insure they were parallel and not working against each other. That puppy was $575 (and made in China)...but seems cheap when I consider a new shade (like behind my sink) was $180.

I have since got the older pedestal working better and plan to use it elsewhere in the trailer...but that is a top secret project for now.

In effort to help take your mind off motorcycles, I've got something else that may distract you from them....

Just doing my part to help you deal with those motorcycle urges.

Z
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Z,
If you ever have too many toys to play with (too many motorcycles to ride, too many trailers to camp in, etc.) I would be willing to play with some of them...
What is that blue car? A 2014 Sting Ray?
I bet that won't fit in the PanAmerica...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
That is interesting. I'm doing a hands on new layout for my 33' 1960 Sovereign and think I've got it narrowed down pretty well. Keeping most of the original style I can get a rear bath, then bunk beds and 6 1/2 feet of full wall closets, then kitchen followed by a PA style L shaped dinette and then right up front a full sized separate bedroom with walk around bed. I snagged the overall dimensions from the PA floor plan but I had to guess at the seat dimensions etc. As you can see from the pic I used a highly professional 2x4 approach this weekend and it looks like it should all work. It's early days for the budget but $575 a pedestal already sounds brutal if they are troublesome offshore items.

A nice attempt to tempt me with a car but luckily I'm covered for blue sports cars :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	216359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	216360  

Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Truck,

I admire a man that will knowingly walk head-on into a massive project...especially one with a Lotus.

I think I have the manufacturers name (drop shipped to me) and I'm sure they could be had for a lot less than going through Airstream.

To be perfectly honest...unless your design is tight and requires it, the dinette seating arrangement isn't all that great. It looked awesome in all the Airstream brochures (what doesn't) but in use, it's kind of gimmicky. It will get the job done but its a half-fast bed (lots of un-even cushions piece-milled together to form a mattress) and a half-fast seating arrangement. If yours doesn't have to be a sleeper, I'm sure you could design something better. The corner bolster/cushion is a little weird. It kind of crowds you when sitting and has no place on the bed...so have to find some place to stash it when its a bed.

If just looking for general dimensions, the base is 6' 1" long on the long side of the "L" and 3' 3" long on the short side of the "L" (measuring next to the walls). The seating portion of the long side of the "L" is 24" wide....the short leg of the "L" is 23" wide.

That project ought to keep you off the streets for a spell.

Boy...that M.Hony is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to help a brother out. I may have to get you to explain to him that if the bet is sufficient, the Vette will fit in the Pan America....which also may involve the "2x4" approach. It won't be a cheap bet that gets it in there....like a six pack, but come to think of it, a couple of cases could possibly do the trick.

Z
Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Z,
One day I'm gonna camp at Paul B. Johnson and help you ride some motorcycles-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Z,
One day I'm gonna camp at Paul B. Johnson and help you ride some motorcycles-
It's an open-ended invitation. "Some" motorcycles? I like the way that sounds...throw your helmet in your AS before you head down as I don't want you to be completely out of your element. We will start with something more traditional and work our way up. If you are willing to do all that for me, its the least I can do to make sure your are fed properly.

Z
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
ZB,
I gotta ask about those lifts. I am considering a single unit for my dinette table, anything has to be better than the $25 wobbly crap unit I currently have.

Was your main problem due to the dual setup ya think?

I like the assisted lift, clamps to hold it at height and I understand that on a single post, it can rotate also.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks for info Z. I don't need the bed option so much but thought it would be handy, given your feedback maybe a regular L shaped dinette will be better. I still like the height adjustable option and another user had a non Airstream product that looked very spiffy, it was on Toastie's thread but again maybe it's the dual post aspect that's a problem.

Regarding the Vette in a can plan…I got the Lotus in a contractor trailer but if I put on a couple more pounds it would have had to stay in there…very tight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	216458  
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
ZB,
I gotta ask about those lifts.....

Was your main problem due to the dual setup ya think?
HH,

I absolutely believe the dual set-up was the problem....they have to be in the same plane and perfectly parallel (which I doubt they were originally). I suspect somewhere along the way, the DPO was forcing the table-top down (and not trying to un-cock it) when resistance was encountered with them compounding the problem. I'm sure as up and down goes, these would have been fine but when you add the second one, side loading and cocking (not collapsing evenly on both pedestals) is the evil culprit.

The stand-alone single unit works good (new) even though of Chinese construction. I typically don't like any Chinese products but these were built for the marine/boating industry and therefore, less likely to be sold if too cheap in appearance and operation. They certainly don't scream Chinese.

They are spring loaded on lift but when pushing them down, they are almost pneumatic in feel (along with the spring resistance) as the air inside the pedestal is restricted coming out when collapsing (improving the feel of the quality). By the same token, when you "unclamp" the collapsed pedestal, restriction of air into the unit allows it to slowly and gently extend.

The lower section is "staked" in a groove which prevents the bottom section from rotating...however, the top section is free to swivel. As you would expect, the cam-lock clamps on the individual section do have a nut on each where you can adjust the clamping force if needed.

There are two rods and two springs in the unit which are tied together using an offset coupling/spring retainer. There is a little adjustment in the rods which controls the "scoped-out" length which is important when using two pedestals together but would be of little use on a single pedestal application where 3/16" higher or lower would make little difference. The unit as a whole is substantially built and the base is of heavy construction for aluminum...it feels fairly secure out of the box, extended and free standing upright on the floor. By the time it is secured to the mounting surface, it's hell for stout feeling.

I believe that a single pedestal would have worked fine in the PA, strength-wise, even considering the length of the rectangular table...I think the use of two was more of a matter of keeping the table in the right orientation to the seating base (no swiveling). The thought did cross my mind to convert to one until it occurred to me I would have two nasty, unused bolt (screw) patterns in the floor to deal with...I took the easy way out...that and it retains that OEM look. From a stand-point of appearance, the two pedestals on such a short table in the PA, does give the set-up a heavy-duty and man-cave look...but I think operation was a secondary consideration.

Some of these trailers have a face that only a mother could love. I know I complain about AS quality issues from time to time but it sure hasn't slowed me down from buying them. I think in the case of the two pedestals, this is the one time I feel like AS gave me more than I needed instead of less...a change up is nice every now and then.

Z