RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
I'm in for gathering at Ouray, then run the Million Dollar Highway (550) over to Silverton, then any of the great Colorado roads.

Overlooking Ouray and my newest RT, motorcycle nirvana IMHO. Use to commute on a FJR, saw about every bike imaginable in the Seattle area as everybody takes advantage of first on, first off on the ferries. No two hour waits for a 35 minute crossing!

Enjoying the thread, love just about every AS and MC!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4105649292.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	209414   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3357811208.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	209415  

jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Too cool, JM.

The last time I was in that area, I ran into our AS buddy from this forum.... Switz. Although we live on opposite ends of the country, he and I are both Goldwing/Tailwind trailer enthusiast and became acquainted through related events...I never knew he had the Airstream addiction until I bumped into him here on this forum. Turns out he has a bad case of "aluminitus".

My bike is parked in front of an "old school" hotel where I stayed in Ouray. A micro-brewery/restaurant next door and a good steak house across the street. City Hall is just behind the brewery and is positioned on a gravel road.

My trip got cut short due to work and I took this pic south of Ouray (stopped to put on more clothes). This was in September and it was 30*F when I left...a few hours later when passing through Amarillo, it was 108*F.

I would tell you to enjoy your trip but I believe that it is a given that you will. While at the north end of the MDH, if you haven't already, make a detour into Wyoming and catch Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highway.

Cheers,

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
On with the saga....

Well, as mentioned, I was trying to replace some distorted guides under the trailer when I discovered a less than stellar weld on the ramp "box". I know none of this is relevant to other Airstreams but I don't want y'all thinking I'm getting lazy on you.

The pic isn't too good but you can see where the plastic "glide" material buckled between the mounting screws...buckled up and down and side to side which produced pretty good drag on the ramp sliding in or out of its "box".

I re-welded the light-duty angle-iron (one of three) that didn't pass my pull test. The angle provides rigidity to the box and should the ramp get out if its tracks, the angle pieces keep it from hitting the ground (and subsequently another vehicle). Before installing the new plastic glides, I cleaned and shot a couple of coats of paint on the box to keep corrosion at bay for a while anyway. I, also, drilled additional holes between all the existing holes to provide more attachment points for the plastic glides and hopefully, reduced the likelihood of future buckling issues.

The way the angle is positioned, there isn't a whole lot of contact with the box so it needed a decent weld. The ramp now comes and goes with ease. I am going to add real safety pins to the ramp this weekend to where I never have to worry about the ramp sneaking out un-intended while rolling.

While in the "get 'er done" mode, I went ahead and tackled the tie-down rails in the garage. The trailer came with two "rails" from the factory. I'm not sure how they coated the rails but one appeared faded and the other scuffed.

I elected just to replace both and add a third. I just decided to leave them raw aluminum...as, some how, aluminum seems to be a good fit with Airstreams. There was a little "pucker" factor when drilling holes for the center rail as you can't tell what you are drilling into from the bottom of the trailer. After some measurements, some SWAG, a small pilot hole and a little luck, the center rail is a solid mount.

I've decided not to mount the motorcycle "chocks" to the floor in the garage. Firstly, if mounted symmetrical in the trailer, the bike would absolutely have to be in alignment with the chock for it to work as designed. On a small bike...no problem, on a 1,000 lb. bike...it is a problem (scooting the rear-end around on a rubberized floor). With the wide "out-riggers" of the chock, I'm good from side to side and will use a ratchet binder and the tie-down rails to keep the chocks from moving forward if so inclined. The second reason is that if I decide to only haul one bike, I can move the chock to the +/- center of the garage to keep my load balanced side to side in the trailer. Admittedly, this is a learning process.

None of this is really anything creative and just falls under the heading of maintenance but its stuff that needs to be done before I can get to the stuff I want to be done...but progress is rewarding so I'll take what I can get. Just got notice from TireRack that my new tires are going to ship a week late. But, there are always plenty of little things to address while waiting on the big items. The more if fiddle with this trailer, the more I'm liking it. There is always to things that you think "Airstream should have done this or that" but as a whole, it is growing on me and taking on my personality (for better or worse).

Z
Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I love those Condor chocks, they work excellent and the quick release mounts are nice. For hauling dirt bikes in my truck, they make steel ones that have a rear rail to clip into, check it out on the Condor website.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I love those Condor chocks, they work excellent and the quick release mounts are nice. For hauling dirt bikes in my truck, they make steel ones that have a rear rail to clip into, check it out on the Condor website.

LM,

Very good eye...those are Condor chocks. Never been much for trailering bikes (except from a dealership to home) so I am unfamiliar with them. While shopping for chocks, when I saw the wide stance of the base, that they could be used free-standing in the pits or shop, I grabbed them up. I do have some lighter bikes (not dirt bike light) but have quite a few heavier bikes (800-975 lbs.) so I was going for maximum stability. I think they will work just fine and I'll have plenty of tie-down points to keep everything in check.

At the moment, I have decided not to mount them to the floor (got the mounting kits) and if that works out, I can use the chocks outside the trailer when camping.

Been busy riding the past few days...stalling waiting on wheels & tires. When I got home yesterday evening from a ride, I tweaked the door between the living quarters and garage but I'm having to dig to find stuff to work on now. I'm starting to see an end to the basic trailer maintenance. I have a few things to do on the exterior (replace rusty latches on underbelly storage, etc.) but nothing worth getting out in the rain to do. I'm already planning on packing wheel bearings and checking brakes when the new wheels are going on.

I am about to die to tow this thing some place but frankly, the tires scare me too much. It did make a 300+ mile trip to my house on these tires but it wasn't officially my trailer until it was delivered and I did tow it about 60 miles checking out my ProPride set-up but all I could think about was those old tires. Now that it is mine and I have new wheels/tires on order, it be my luck to get punished for not being patient. Not that I'd want to risk any Airstream, I have to look at this trailer a little differently in several respects as it can't be easily replaced nor would I want to try.

Yesterday, I dusted off the Morgan and went to the right end of the Miss. Gulf Coast for BBQ.

It was where techno meets retro...

Then the rest of the Olympic Dive Team follows him in....

They were mighty "taken" with the Morgan (due to the S&S engine, I'm sure) but I didn't have the heart to tell them there is a girth restriction.

Z
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Slowly I turn....

....step by step...inch by inch....

New lug nuts and steel valve stems for TPMS.

TST & Centramatics.

Still waiting on belated rubber and two more wheels (got a bulk rate discount on them).

But that's okay....I found two more water leaks (drips) last night to keep me busy...one behind where the water hose attaches to the TT and a Moen bathroom faucet leaking from under the lever. The gift that just keeps on giving.

Tic Toc.

Z
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Still in a holding pattern....

The Tire Rack has, now, delayed me twice on my new Michelin tires...but that is okay as they are held up by Michelin to finish a production run and ship so my "Born On" date ought to be a fresh one. I'm certainly not complaining about Tire Rack as they have always done good by me.

So...I continue to tinker. But it hard to tinker on an empty stomach...so first it was cook-out time.

Trying out my new boiling apparatus...does 100 lbs. at a time and much easier to handle the hot goods.

Couple of hundred pounds of crawfish and related accessories & refreshments.

Now, this is what anyone would expect on a $100K travel trailer...right? The cheapest, garbage hardware Thor could find (or maybe those are really anodes protecting the Mother Ship).

With a little shopping, I was able to buy stainless steel replacements for $7 each (McMaster Carr)....I'm sure Thor could get them cheaper buying volume but then what would we do with all our spare time? Used SS rivets which really pushed the cost up by 15-20 cents for the repair.

The latch on the LP bottle surround is another high quality item...bleeding rust everywhere.

Picked up a "non-identical but SS" replacement from Out-of-Doors Mart. The little thumb-slide is a different...small price to pay to have a component that will last as long as the trailer.

While in the SS department at Out-of-Doors, I started getting rid of the gray stuff on the exterior.

They aren't exactly plug-n-play but with a little tweaking and at the end of the day, I like them. I'm still waiting on a few more SS bits and what I can't find, I will build to replace the aerosol painted plastic stuff. I guess my objective here is to get the trailer up to the standards that I believe a basic AS should be upon receipt (trailer that matches MSRP). Still have a ways to go in that department.

In the mean time, I'm replacing all the heat-generating, battery-sucking halogen bulbs with LEDs. I chose the warm white LEDs and like them. It isn't exactly the same hue of warmth that the halogens put off but you are adjusted to the new look in just a matter of minutes. Just judging by the naked eye, I believe the LEDs put out more light than the halogens. I don't foresee a lot of boon-docking in this rig but I'd rather spend the money on LEDs as opposed to more solar panels. When sourcing the LEDs, I was having difficulties finding them for the flush-mount ceiling lights so I order all pucks for the "reading lights" and then, just modified them for ceiling use (strategic bends, small shrink tubing and trim 1/4" off the prongs)...no biggie. With the ceiling covered in LEDs, I'm considering adding dimmers like in my International...when I get caught up a bit.

Yes...it's an uneventful day at work and it's tuning up to rain.

Z
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Z

Thanks for the source(s) for ss latches. It is sad that Airstream supplies this junk on a 100k trailer. How do they sleep at night? I could not.

Dan
TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Z

Thanks for the source(s) for ss latches. It is sad that Airstream supplies this junk on a 100k trailer. How do they sleep at night? I could not.

Dan

Dan, Dan, the Touring Man...

Let me help you narrow down what to order... P/N 1590A45

McMaster-Carr

Fat girl got some new dancing shoes today....

The rear two stabilizers are mounted in an unusual fashion compared to standard trailers.

I have a bead-blaster and powder coating rig but after looking at them, it was just cheaper to replace the stabilizers...that and they look better than powder coat....for now.

Z
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Lawrence Welk Rocks!

In keeping with my philosophy of "Do something, even if it's wrong" and trying to keep momentum going, the OEM stereo system was getting tired. The Sony stereo was a "flip-front" to access the DVD slot. I guess after opening and closing enough times, the contacts were worn where it required some strategic jiggling to get it to act right. Also, there was a humming noise being generated when the movie or music got quite.

Digging into it, it was a little more involved than I suspected. It had a crossover network and a input junction box which also controlled a separate 6-disc CD changer. Having little use for CDs these days, I removed the CD changer permanently and re-routed the inputs so that the TV signal could be played through the stereo system...before, only DVDs (out-going signal) could be played over the speaker system.

What a bird's nest...

The CD changer on its way out and new stereo/DVD player on it's way in. The newer generation unit doesn't require the front to flip to install a DVD. It has two inputs on the front, including a USB port. There is also a rear auxiliary input which now takes a signal from the TV.

There will be an iPod docking station installed soon eliminating clutter.

Now with the cleaner hook-up, I can crank up the Lawrence Welk to a respectable level. Next, I just need to figure out where to mount the bubble machine for the full effect.

Z
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
In order to have what I consider a sanitary hook-up, I replaced the safety chains on the trailer. I needed additional length anyway due to the use of the ProPride hitch.

I am unsure of the strength rating on the OEM chains but my bolt cutters told me they were soft as butter and therefore, suspect they were low yield material. The replacement chain I used is coated and has a 5,700 lb. work-rating. My bolt cutters wouldn't even scratch the new chain. I tried to cut them with a big, vertical band-saw (made for metal) but the links were so hard, the blade just danced around on it. I ended up using an abrasive cutter to get the chain into the proper lengths.

I replaced the safety hooks with forged ones with a rating that exceeds that of the chains. At this point, I suspect my "weak link" is the attachment loops on the tongue itself.

Initially when checking out the trailer, I determined that the hot water heater (Atwood GE-9 EXT) worked fine on LP but didn't have anything on 120v. After fiddling with the thermostat connections, I got it working on 120v. Later, I determined that the thermostat wasn't cycling as it should and the hot water was too hot and the PRV was dribbling water (even with an air space in the tank). I picked up a thermostat kit at a local RV shop in a neighboring town for $20 and swapped them out just in case. It was apparent that there was some dribbling going on before I got the trailer.

Once I got the thermostats out, I determined that there was a bad connection. The ECO thermostat is provided with two male spade connections...the lower temp thermostat is provided with a "bullet" connector soldered to one of the male spade connectors (in order to keep them worm-proof). Where the bullet connector was soldered to the spade connector was heavily corroded and when I tried to remove the connector, it came apart (brown lead hanging down by the igniter).

This is a 3 minute job replacing both thermostats but having to replace the female bullet connector turned it into a 5 minute job. Besides this one being ugly, it now works like a charm.

The Pan America came with one flat-screen TV and a second was an option that the original owner didn't go for, I suppose. With everything wired in the bedroom for TV, I thought it would be a shame not to have one in there (satellite box connection, coax connection, 12v receptacle, standard 120v receptacle and a 120v receptacle off the inverter).

Finding an appropriate Samsung TV similar to the one in the galley was a slam-dunk (thank you Amazon.com) but finding a decent wall mount for the TV wasn't so easy. I like the two MoView mounts used in my International Sig and wanted to go that route. With some difficulty, I ordered a Model WSSL mount from MoView but when I received it, I wasn't impressed at all. The latching mechanism was Mickey Mouse (no spring-loaded locking pin) and was a lower quality than what was in my other trailer. Luckily, I was in an Airstream dealership and found an older (discontinued) model like those I already have so I bought and used it instead.

I made a mounting bracket for my satellite box out of aluminum (will powder coat it black) to get it all going.

On the TV subject, I find it quite peculiar that the TV in the galley runs off the voltage inverter full time. It's weird to me that it is set up like that. The inverter itself has a 120v pass-through (to feed shore power to the receptacle instead of inverting 12v to feed the receptacle) but the pass through was not used by Airstream. Why convert 120v to 12v only to convert it to 120v again when shore power is available. I'm sure Airstream had a reason but I'm not sure it was a good one...especially when the inverter is set-up with the pass-through.

Now, I can watch Sponge Bob Square Pants while remaining horizontal.

Z
Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
While I was at lunch today, the man in the brown truck left me a goodie. The Pan America was missing an "End Closure" or as I referred to it, a frame cap. The seller came through with the new part of which he agreed to do though I detected some reluctance for some reason.

He had the part drop shipped to me and now I understand the reluctance...$400+ for 1-1/2 ounces of plastic! Even at that, I feel fortunate it was still available and he was a man of his word.

Missing...

Installed....

The problem with the "End Closure" was that Airstream riveted a hasp (like on the under-belly storage compartments) to keep the ramp cover closed. The rivets weren't through the plastic and metal....just through the plastic. They were doomed from the start. I am going to modify the ramp track for a proper safety pin and rely on gravity and a snug hinge to keep the cover closed.

Many may think that this is a lot of trouble to get a trailer shaped back up and if it were a run of the mill International Signature, etc., it may be. But due to the rarity of the Pan America, I find it much easier to justify the expense and effort. I'm lovin' my new-to-me trailer and I think it's lovin' me back as it slowly returns to it's former glory. I think I'll love it a lot more when I can actually take it somewhere....still waiting on tires.

Slowly but surely.

Z
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Sidewinder Rocket Launchers...

...better known as sewer hose storage tubes. On the Pan America, it had a single storage tube for a sewer hose. Apparently somewhere along the way, it got knocked off while in the DPO's possession. All that remained was a remnant of the mount nearest the road-side of the trailer.

The sewer storage tube on the Pan America was more important than on most Airstreams as the PA doesn't have rear bumper storage. When I received the trailer, there was a sewer hose in the only real outside storage compartment and triple garbage bagged. The DPO may have been okay with that but that lump was right under the pillows of the front bed...I don't think so.

Looking at how Airstream mounted the only tube that came on the trailer, only two of the four mounting points for the tube were into a cross-member of the frame and the other two where just into the underbelly tin. Not very substantial on a good day. To avoid that problem again in the future, I installed two aluminum strips (1.5"wide x 3/16" thick) that spanned from one cross-member to the next to provide solid mounting location on each side of the tube. Considering how far forward the sewer hook-up is on the PA, I could see situations where more than one hose would be required, therefore, I mounted three of them (48" long).

I use Valterra hoses on my trailers so there is no problem fitting them in the Valterra storage tubes, unlike when you use Brand X hoses/connectors.

There was a second storage tube under the trailer. It is 2' long and was suppose to contain a curly-Q hose, quick connector and shower head for an outdoor shower but it was MIA when I received the trailer. My International Signature has the outdoor shower with hose and head rolled up in the box. I don't know if the style used on the Pan America was exclusive to this model or used on other trailers. I'm trying to source the hose and head for this one as to try to get the trailer back to "as delivered" status.

Storage for the outdoor shower whip.

I've knocked a big chunk out of my "to do" list and am getting down to the little tedious things. I guess it may be a blessing that my tires where put on back-order to semi force me to address all the little things while in a waiting mode. Last night, I polished/sealed all of the interior aluminum in the living quarters end of the trailer and am having to dig to find more things to do...especially fun stuff. I guess that is obvious since I'm posting sewer hose stuff.

C'mon tires! My pants are on fire to hit the road.

Z
Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
A little of this and a little of that....

Every time I go to the Airstream dealership, I find myself mostly amused with the smaller, single axle trailers. There is something about them that is just so neat and as bad as I hate to use the word...cute, too. I think it is because they are at the extreme end of the AS spectrum. By the same token, I am enjoying the enormity of the Pan America on the opposite end of the spectrum and the un-obstructed view from stem to stern. I tell folks it's 8' long and 34' wide. It's an on-going work in progress and it grows on me more day by day. Admittedly, Airstream must have had their head somewhere else when considering storage capacity in the living quarters but there is enough room elsewhere that I can work that out for myself...with time.

Along those lines, I dusted off my TIG rig this weekend and started welding up a frame-work of 1" aluminum square tubing to rough-in one side of the garage in effort to be better organized...if and when my tires ever come in. The Pan America had provisions for the smallest garbage can you've ever seen under the kitchen sink...by the time you get a garbage bag in it, it's half full so I'm incorporating a larger one into the garage.

Immediately to the right of the garbage can will be some small shelves and with a 120v receptacle in that area, my cordless drill, etc. batteries will be charged there, as well as, a location for my motorcycle Battery Tenders. To the left of the garbage can, four ZipDee chairs (which I really like) will fill that spot. Further to the left, a Pelican case will harbor water related items (water hoses, nozzles, splitters (Y's), filter, regulator, etc.). There will be a storage area above the Pelican case and I have plans for the area just to the left of the rack (back corner of the trailer) but I'm going to measure and see if it will work out before I obligate myself.

I'm about 80% complete with this portion of the rack on this side of the trailer. There will be more appendages off this rack as soon as I can get back to work on it. I haven't designed the rack for the curbside yet but have a loose idea of what it will include. I'm doing what I consider the easiest side first but hope my momentum will carry over to the other side of the garage.

Hopefully, all this work is a means to an end. Although I like reporting progress, I'd much rather be reporting on adventures. Patience is a virtue...as well as, a PIA.

Z
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Happy Holidays...

Being a glutton for punishment, I decided I would use my off time to do some exterior work on the Airstreams.

I washed both trailers with Car Wash and then, thought I would use something a little stiffer to remove existing waxes to get a fresh start. I also did two scrubbings on each roof to prevent milky streaks on my soon to be polished/sealed trailers.

After the two washings of two trailers, I started "treating" the Pan America first. Although the clear-coat looked fairly good on the PA, it felt rough to the finger-tips when run across a panel. I clayed the trailer from afternoon to on up into the night. The square footage of the PA exterior just seems to go on and on. Then, I started with Griot's Machine Polish 3 on a random orbit. I removed the polish with some of their MicroFibers...mostly by hand and some with a microfiber towel between the buffing wheel and the trailer. The MP-3 was hard to remove as it was dealing with a texture. The surface felt noticeably better to the touch. I then went to Griot's Machine Polish 4. After cutting with No. 3, No. 4 wasn't nearly as bad to buff off.

At this point, I put on Griot's Paint Sealer. I gave the trailer a good coat and it was easy to work with. By the time I got around to putting on the second coat, it went on and off like warm butter.

By the time I finished the Pan America (5 hours Friday, 12 hours Saturday & 4 hours Sunday), I was too whipped to tackle the International. Hand buffing a 34' trailer would be good training for Golden Glove Boxing.

At the end of the day, I was pleased with the results. Also, my roof excursions revealed two things to me about the Pan America....1) my solar panels are BPSolar....and 2), an aluminum deflector between the A/C unit and the fridge vent was missing. There are two empty rivet holes but no sign of "white goo" sealant like what was heavily used on the International roof. Almost like they missed a step and it blew away.

I've about decided I like the looks of rivets instead of belt-line trim.

Z
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
It doesn't take much to make some people happy...

...but then some times it does. I've had these tires on order since the 1st of April...but now I'm a happy camper.

Hot off the press....

UPS dropped them off at 3:00, I had the tires mounted and loaded in the back of my truck to have them spin balanced shortly thereafter. I have a tire machine and a bubble balancer but felt they deserved the spin balance....and they did need significant balancing ($45 for 7 wheels) though running Centramatics, too. By 5:00, I was putting them on the trailer.

Goodbye to my least favorite Airstream wheels....

It can't be all joy...I'm happy with the slightly increased ground clearance which catapulted me into hitch reconfiguration. But, that's not too tall an order for a ProPride hitch and dreading is the worst part (not waiting on replacement parts/stingers).

I've literally cussed the DPO about things I've found (or didn't find) on this trailer, but on the other hand, I guess I'm lucky he or she wasn't too crazy about it or I may not have it today. That said, when I got this trailer, it sort of looked "tired" but now, it's starting to look "proud" again, if you know what I mean.

When the rain lets up, then, I'm going to address the spare tire rack.

Cheers,

Z
Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The picture with the 7 wheels and tires against the trailer makes it look like a 7 axle Airstream-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In looking at the Rock Tamers on top of the Pro Pride vertical 2" x 2" hitch post in post 51 and 56, I had mounted mine the same way with the arms up like when Jesse James visited a bank. The only way I could think off to ensure they did not fall off the post was a bolt thru the top ⅝" hole in the Pro Pride.

A ⅝" bolt did not work because I could not get it into the hole due to the shoulders of the pipe support, so this did work with parts from Home Depot and Lowe's:

one stainless steel ½" x 3.5" bolt
four ½" stainless steel washers
four ⅝" to ½" nylon reducing bushing ½" long
one stainless steel ½" nut
LockTite

This will keep the Rock Tamers on the hitch post, but is not a secure system to prevent theft.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The picture with the 7 wheels and tires against the trailer makes it look like a 7 axle Airstream-
As I've said before, I've got a camera and am not afraid to use it.

Z
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In looking at the Rock Tamers on top of the Pro Pride vertical 2" x 2" hitch post in post 51 and 56, I had mounted mine the same way with the arms up like when Jesse James visited a bank. The only way I could think off to ensure they did not fall off the post was a bolt thru the top ⅝" hole in the Pro Pride.

A ⅝" bolt did not work because I could not get it into the hole due to the shoulders of the pipe support, so this did work with parts from Home Depot and Lowe's:

one stainless steel ½" x 3.5" bolt
four ⅝" to ½" nylon reducing bushing ½" long
one stainless steel ½" nut
LockTite

This will keep the Rock Tamers on the hitch post, but is not a secure system to prevent theft.

When I acquired a new TV, I ended up with extra hitch (TV receiver was lower).

So, I sawed it off....

...and milled it down to 2" x 2" providing a step for the Rock Tamer bracket to locate on.

I've just got a 5/16" SS bolt with a SS nylok nut on mine....just something to keep it from getting away in an event.

How's your hotrod Airstream coming along?

Z