Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #221
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Love the idea of using the Condor chocks as a table platform. I have two mounted in the bed, and they seem quite useless when not doing bike hauling duty.

Zack, if you get to the UK ever, you need comment my friend Gerry Lisa who owns Metisse motorcycles. They have an amazing new bike, the 8v, which was designed in the F1 shops in Oxford. A parallel twin making 140hp and weighing 400 lbs. with an 8500 rpm redline. Feels like a triple it is so smooth. Hand built oil in frame, nickel plated.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #222
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
zb

I sure enjoyed all the photo bucket pictures showing the incredible "upgraded garage interior design" of your PA. Your design and attention to detail is quite impressive. My compliments to you. I really enjoyed the photos of the Triumph since I am from the sixties when Triumph was king and I have a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST, the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

Thanks a bunch zb.

Dan
The knowledge on this forum is great but it's the people here that are the best. I really feel honored to be a part of this community and I couldn't be more serious. I really haven't made any changes to the Pan America in the past few weeks...but I have made some Triumph project progress...and don't want to deprive Touring Dan of anything....and to remind him the Triumphs from the sixties are still King depending on who you ask.

Firstly, let me apologize for the mess in the background as that is just how I roll when building a bike. I work on the bike until the pile of tools and related items become so unbearable it's hindering progress, then I put everything back in it's place only to proceed with making a big mess again. I would say old habits are hard to break but it's a habit I'm not really trying to break. In the end, it works out. At first glance, I know this doesn't appear to be Airstream related but it will be when I'm hauling them around the countryside.

I've always been drawn to the Triumphs of the late sixties...not that I was relevant then as I was too young for a driver's license at that time...but I was a rider then (being of the "On Any Sunday" generation) and lusted after what I considered the best thing going at that time. I got my first Triumph when I was a Jr. in high school...a 1967 Triumph Bonneville (T120R). It was 9 years old a the time and the top-end was stuck when I bought it (1976). I fixed the bike and "we" went through a lot together back in my youth as I tended to be a little on the wild side back in those days. I still have and ride that bike (blue).

Aside from being motorcycles, I've always considered these old bikes as rolling art. Don't really know how to describe the attraction but it is there none the less. I have probably refreshed a dozen of these bikes over the years. From an appearance standpoint, these are easy to get back to decent looking shape as most everything on it is either painted or polished as opposed to vintage Asian bikes (which I have refreshed several of those as well). I have a buffing wheel and am not afraid to use it. In recent years, I substituted powder coating for painting since it is more durable and I can take a funky looking part and have it looking like new and ready to go back on the bike in less than two hours. When still painting frames and related, you would have to wait for days for the paint to be cured well enough for replacement. That and I don't miss spray gun clean-up nor bugs landing on freshly painted parts. The only thing I paint on them these days is the fuel tank.

In the 1990's, I acquired both a '68 and '69 Bonnevilles. In my possession, I updated and warmed them over for service. These bikes logged many a mile and many multi-state trips which is no small feat for the bike or the rider. But they were getting tired and needed refreshing. Being a glutton for punishment, I elected to "do" both bikes at the same time. At the risk of offending anyone, I am not a purist...though I like to keep the original look of the bikes, I'm not above using modern upgrades to make the bikes more reliable as they will be "riders" and not show pieces. The '69 is a better example than the '68 and after I got both chassis back up to "roller" condition, I focused on the '68 first. My reason for doing both at the same time is that many of the parts are interchangeable with each other. Therefore, I have chosen to use the pristine parts on the '69 and the lesser quality parts on the '68. Not that I think the '68 will look horrible when done, but the '69 is my favorite of the two. No stone left unturned on either of them.

I completely overhauled the gearbox with all new bearings and seals, the bottom end of the engine was completely rebuilt, as well. I had rebuilt the top-end on this bike so many times, the cylinders weren't suitable for another boring, therefore, I elected to put 750cc cylinders on this one.

Though not original and only available on later model Triumphs, I put 4-valve oil pumps on all my rebuilds for added security. In the day, Triumphs didn't have oil filters and the oil was just changed frequently. Any solids that found their way into the oil system were trapped in the crankshaft as it worked like a centrifuge and the solids would remain in the crank in what is referred to as a "sludge trap". Any rebuild requires the removal of the solids in the crank, otherwise, you end up with a ticking time bomb.

Like most bikes of that period that had a gearbox separate from the engine, Triumph used a chain drive system as a primary drive. My clutch basket was worn out/beat out, the chain was worn out and the front crank sprocket was worn out. Rather than spend the money and time on original bits, I typically go to a belt drive system. About the same price but lighter, quiter and durable. It eliminates the need for oil in the primary cover and therefore, allows for a dry clutch that performs better than a wet clutch and removes a source for oil leaks.

Even when new, the alternators of the day didn't put out that great and could barely put out the requirements for night riding. At a stop sign at night, you needed a flashlight to tell if your headlight was on. Newer aftermarket alternators put out more watts and are a no brainer upgrade. When new, if you ran the headlight day and night, eventually, you would run out of battery as the alternator couldn't keep up.

With the removal of lead from gasoline, the valve seats of these old aluminum heads get hammered pretty good. So while at it, I modified the head for steel valve seats with new valves, springs, valve guides and exhaust spigots....fresh all the way around.

I make my own wiring harnesses because I make so many electrical changes that it just isn't worth trying to alter an original harness...LED tail-lights, solid-state rectifier/regulator, electronic ignition, dual output coil. With more alternator output and conservation of that with low-draw or more efficient items, the "Prince of Darkness" (Sir Lucas) is held at bay.

One of the problems with trying to fix up an old Triumph is worn out carburetors. The originals were Amals...but they had a cast aluminum slides running in an aluminum bores so they tend to wear out and allow un-wanted air to be sucked around the slide. I have run Asian carbs on several Triumphs and though they performed better, the didn't look right and were problematic at getting a decent air filter to fit behind them. There have been Amal reproduction carbs on the market for years but after going through several pairs, they were worse than the old, worn-out ones as they were cheaply made. A couple of years ago (and maybe after the company changing hands), Amal has come out with a replacement carb with hard-anodized slides with all jets being removable (old idle circuit jets were pressed in and very difficult to clean if blockage was present). The new "premiere" Amals look right and fit right. Besides, a proper Brit bike should have "tickler" buttons on them so your fingers smell like gasoline.

Got the plumbing going into the head and coming out covered.

About all I lack on this one now is getting the tank sanded and painted, as well as, getting the speedometer and tachometer sorted out.

Though I haven't really cut corners on the '68, on the '69, I'm pulling out all the stops on it. In 1968, Triumph came out with the dual-leading brakes on the front. Instead of expanding the brake shoes just on one side, the dual expanded the brake shoes on both sides. This provided more contact area for the shoes and better stopping power. However, the cable routing on the '68 was lack-luster and when applying the brakes, the first bit of travel out of the lever was wasted because the cable would bow. In 1969, Triumph corrected this with a more direct cable routing. So if a fellow bought a '68 back in the day, all he had to do was change the brake hub and cable out and then he had a '68 that was as good as a '69. This '68 I have had the upgrade done back in the day...it being a "period" mod, I have elected to leave it that way as I desire the better ability to stop over looking correct. Besides, your average Joe doesn't know one from the other.

This is the '69 rolling chassis. I built the wheels on this one using vintage Morad shouldered aluminum rims (w/SS spokes and chrome nipples)...not reproductions but the real thing. For me, 1969 was the pinnacle year for Triumph. Though I run the correct Dunlop tires on my '67, I have elected to run more modern rubber on these builds (Bridgestones) as they have a nicer rounded profile and modern/sticky compounds.

I guess it was inevitable that I ended up with newer Triumphs. When the Hinckley Triumphs first came out, I wasn't that crazy about them. Felt like they were riding in on the coat-tails of the Meridian Triumphs from the old days. But they grew on me slowly....but even quicker with their release of the Thruxton. I love the looks of this bike...but after owning one, I felt the appearance exceeded the performance. Though not my intensions originally, I couldn't resist the temptation to tweak it some.

In order for it to pass emissions and noise standards, the bike was choked back. I ended up removing the restrictive airbox in exchange for some K&N pod filter, eliminated the O2 sensors and the air injection system and put some free flowing pipes on it. It being electronic fuel injections, it required remapping of the fuel and the ignition systems. Now it runs as good as it looks...which is now pushing me into some suspension upgrades...it's never ending...but I guess I like it that way.

Well, that's your Triumph trivia for the day and remember...everyone needs a hobby...or three.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #223
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
This is my latest bike I have been riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	230938  
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #224
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
This my other till spring .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	230940  
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I love me some Triumphs. Here's a video of a project I worked on for a special Bonneville edition. Triumph donated two bikes, the build bike and the stock one you see at the first part of Part I (I am the chubby bloke weighting down the suspension). We worked with Matt Capri at South Bay Triumph, a master builder. He delivered the bikes out to Bonneville where we got some nice shots on the Salt Flats, and the stock bike came home with me, the built bike went back to CA, where I still get to cruise it on Mulholland every so often.

Part I

Part II

Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #226
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Lara Me,

Thanks for taking the time to post those videos. You obviously love you some Triumphs, too. That being said, I needed to see that second video like I needed a hole in my head! I have reached a point to where I need to finish these two Triumphs, I have another 1982 Suzuki Katana to do a frame-up restoration on and though unsolicited, the Morgan 3-wheeler I bought needs some major mechanical attention. After those, I'm going to convert my bike building area into a bike maintenance and up-keep area to just maintain what I already have.

I bought the newer Triumphs to have a turn-key Triumph to ride without all the wrenching. If I low-side one on these newer ones, I can easily get parts or replace the whole bike tomorrow. I still push the old bikes pretty good but don't ride them like a government mule...that's what the newer ones are for.

When I saw the top-end being pulled down in the second video....I had all these thoughts running around in my head...I'm fighting the feeling. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks, again.

Z
Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Z: And in your spare time you do ............?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #228
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Z: And in your spare time you do ............?
Lou,

In my spare time, I work at keeping my shop "helpers" separated and being a referee.

They are never bored and both go to bed tired every night.

Z
Old 12-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #229
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
I don't think I qualify for living "riveted"...

Thanksgiving 2014

Thanksgiving 2015

Same trip duration, same trailer, same truck, same motorcycle, same campground, same slot....on the other hand, I was wearing different clothes. Don't think this qualifies for living adventurous nor "riveted". However, the weather was excellent and perfect for riding motorcycles up and down the Natchez Trace using the trailer as a base camp. Frankly, I love my trailers (especially the big one) and I think they love me, too. It takes awhile to get the trailers up from Airstream standards to serious enthusiast standards but I'm getting there. Every trip seems to just get better in respect to the equipment.

In the spirit of the holidays, I bought new shoes for my International (same 16" rims & tires I put on the Pan America). Justified or not, I have no faith in GYM tires, especially those with a couple of years on them. I don't know about you but I need to have faith in what I'm towing to ever get comfortable with it and realized how stupid I would feel if a sub-standard tire beat my trailer to pieces. At the loads I haul in the Pan America (plenty of gear and a 900 lb. bike), it's wheels have less load on each as compared to a normal load in the International (+/- 400 lbs./tire difference). Your mileage may vary.

In my haste to replace the wheels, I over-looked ordering Centramatics but they are now on the way. As a side note, neither of my trailer spare tire racks required any modifications to accommodate the 16" spare wheel. Also, while at various campgrounds, I've been noticing Sendel "factory-wheels" on many of the SOB fifth-wheel rigs, as well.

Being so pleased with my Chevy Duramax TV, I traded off the last of the 3/4-ton Suburbans (with 14K miles on it) for something similar to the Silverado. I was totally disappointed with the Suburban as a TV as it was under-whelming in almost all respects. I purchased it originally for the third row seat but as it turned out, I didn't need the extra seating anyway. Basically, it was an expensive mistake so I didn't mind cutting my losses and moving on. I did entertain the idea of having the Suburban converted to a Dura-Burb but with the money/time/logistics involved and the risk of getting really "used" running gear put under it, I couldn't justify it even if I tried.

To accommodate the GMC Denali and it's Class V receiver, I had to order a Class V stinger from ProPride (received in two days from time of order) which I use on both of my trailers. I milled the top of the stinger to 2" x 2" to accept my Rock Tamers and Bob's your uncle. The International felt like a slug behind the Suburban but like a feather-weight behind the Denali. Maybe the Denali is over-kill for the International...but then again, I think I like over-kill when towing.

Due to the differences in receiver heights and tongue heights, the trucks aren't interchangeable with the trailers (without some wrenching). Therefore, the Chevy will only tow the PA (1,490 lb. tongue weight) and the Denali will only tow the International (990 lb. tongue weight).

Maybe I am living "riveted" through aluminitus.

Merry Christmas,

Z
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Good report.
It's been awhile-
Glad to see you still enjoying the PanAmerica.
Not much change to my rig except:
On the Classic 30:
16" Sendel T03 wheels and LT tires
Centramatic balancers
Dill TPMS
On the Tundra:
Bakflip G2 tonneau cover
Curt front receiver
Bed step
Are you coming to the Mississippi Unit rally in Meridian next week?
I would love a walk-through tour of the PanAmerica!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #231
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Are you coming to the Mississippi Unit rally in Meridian next week?
M.Hony,

I had stumbled upon some information about that rally and had considered it. Now knowing you are going to be there, I will put forth more effort to make it. I have been concerned that you have been misbehaving in my forum absence and probably should check in at Meridian to make sure you are not getting too far out of line or into irreversible mischief.

I have been doing some other work on my trailer...I just changed the toilet in the PA to a ceramic bowl job...but didn't want to do a pictorial on the gory details of that little project!

Now if I can make it up there....does that mean I have to clean/spit-shine and remove all the tripping hazards in the interior for your walk-through?

The WBCCI had some kind of get together in Picayune, MS campground a few weeks back. My son told me he heard about it and so I went to investigate with trailer in tow. I did get signed up but don't know if I'm wired for all that at this point in my life. As you have probably guessed by now, I'm more of a gearhead and less of a social butterfly. Met a lot of nice people, for sure...but I could sense some organizational power struggles, etc. which is a distinct turn-off to me and sort of reminded me of high school kids with gray hair. Also detected, for the lack of a better word, "desperation" to get younger members involved but didn't see the draw other than shiney trailers. Not so sure I'm a good fit for all that. At a gathering, I tried to envision Wally Byam himself rambling through the crowd and just couldn't see him. I've had fun before and a lot of that doesn't look like that much fun to me. As it turns out, I may have just bought a $75 magazine subscription. I think the WBCCI should have a sub-chapter for a little bit younger crowd.....without berets...but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking WBCCI as they all seemed to be enjoying themselves and I'm truly happy for them. I'm just don't think I'm there yet or ready for pink flamingos. Though I received my iconic red numbers, my trailers still remain "bald" at this point while the jury is out.

Z
Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't clean the trailer on my account-
The Mississippi Unit rallies are far less structured the the Region rallies or International rallies.
You maybe should have passed on the joint rally in Picayune and just gone to the Mississippi Unit seafood rally in Bay St. Louis.
Meridian is a Mississippi Unit rally. Don will take a few minutes of the last morning to talk "business".
No berets- the closest to formal will be name tags-
Hope to see you there- or somewhere else in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #233
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The WBBCI membership numbers reflect that most owners are an "independent steaming" mind set. We did our first and last International this past summer.

We did join because there is a lot of information to be garnered from the folks that are more technically savvy and we hoped the organization would continue, despite the never ending QC issues with the new units coming off the line.

We joined the "local" Four Corners Unit as we liked the folks and while there is a informal structure to handle getting newsletters out and the like, there are no organization meetings like I have read about for other groups, unless meeting at the chow line is an issue.

Of course this forum serves as a fountain of conversation and some is often correct on solving problem issues.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #234
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
M.Hony,

Just a head's up that things aren't shaping up too well for me to make the Meridian rally. That campground has got to be one of the easiest for me to get to and therefore, it stands to reason that work would interfere. Such as life but maybe I'll be more fortunate next go-round.

Switz,

Hope all is well with you and yours...long time, no see. I'm not giving up on WBCCI without giving it a go. I think M.Hony may have hit on something with the event I stumbled on having all the "higher ups" attending. Outside of the structured meetings, I spoke with many members around the campground that I seem to have more in common with (home-grown trailer mods, motorcycles, kids still at home, etc.) and they also indicated they weren't too crazy about the politics sometimes involved in the process but listening to them talk about some of the low-key caravans they have experienced sounded good to me. They also reminded me that I would be welcomed in any unit or event which is a good fit for my non-retired schedule. I got involved in Airstreams (the trailers...not the community) when I was still young (and single) and was well aware of WBCCI then (pre-internet)....guess I had this preconceived notion that it would be different...and maybe it will be when I get into a more informal setting.

Merry Christmas,

Z
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't even own no blue beret...

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #236
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Old 12-09-2015, 03:13 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Someone here at the rally asked about you. I told 'im you ain't gonna make it.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No formalities, politics, or pomp and circumstance here-
Haven't even seen a blue beret-
Someone suggested we give you one-
Just a bunch of eating and Mexican train dominoes happenin' here-
Generally, Don and Terraseta (sp?) arrange nice tours and lunches for us- participate in all or some- whatever suits you-
They do a great job-
With a PanAmerica, you could make our little rally a home base for some GoldWing ridin'.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1449656320.360467.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	253580

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #240
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Rub it in!

M.Hony....

Just rub it in, why don't you? Honestly, I'd be glad to wear a blue beret today if it would get me out of here and up there.

Seriously, thanks for the picture (though I don't see #1811) and I hope you have the best time you can and enjoy this nice weather we are having.

PS, thanks for getting the Mississippi Unit all riled up on me! No matter where I go, trouble isn't far behind.

Be careful and I'm anticipating you being on your best behavior. Give Don and Terraseta a big ole sloppy kiss for me!

Z