Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally's Education - Setting It Right

Wally's education has always been a center of discussion. Before we start we do know two things. His graduation from Jefferson High School and from Stanford University.

Let's correct his college education. Recently it has been written that Wally received his Masters Degree in Engineering from Stanford. When I heard this I was alarmed, concerned and had disbelief. As a family member and sharing many hours of chit-chat with Wally, all I ever knew was he received his Bachelor's Degree in History in 1921. There has been rumors, writings, and speculation that Wally received a law degree from Staford. No! But he did take several law classes.

After Wally's mother and father divorced in 1899, Carrie Biswell Byam remarried Dave Davis.

Records show that Wally graduated from Jefferson High and Stanford University as Wallace Merle Davis.

I have not seen a legal document that changed Wally from Byam to Davis. I believe that with the Biswell-Davis marriage Wally was adopted with a new surname.

Where the confusion arose is in 1937 a Wallace Davis graduated from Stanford and came back and received a Masters Degree in Engineering.

Two entirely different Wallace Davis graduates. Hopefully historians in the future will not make assumptions about the second Wallace Davis that attended Stanford.

The Alumni group at Stanford were gracious and accomodating. They provided all of the information necessary to correct this error. I hope that this reaches all our history buffs and they jot down this important phase of Wally Byam's life.

Sometime after his graduation Wally changed his surname from Davis back to Byam.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanford Quad 1921 - Wally's Graduation Picture.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	65768   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb grad pic cropped ps4.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	65769  

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Very interesting. I have seen information saying that he had a law degree, but never practiced law. This is the first I have read about his name being Davis during his teens. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
great history lesson. thanks for your time
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks PeeWee! Rob & I just have one question..why would he ever have wanted to change his name from Davis?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
With a level playing field and all things being equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Thanks PeeWee! Rob & I just have one question..why would he ever have wanted to change his name from Davis?

Shari
Shari/Rob

If everything was equal and on a level playing field Wally might have remained a Davis.

With his parents divorced at the age thee in 1899, and his mother remarrying a few years later, he was probably adopted. His mother would be responsible for allowing the change, since Wally was too young to contest or consent.

One of the indicators that he was probably adopted was his selective service card. It required his legal name, which was Wallace Merle Davis.

One can weave a tale or story that the change was made because of Carrie Biswell Byam's divorce from Bert Byam in 1899. A bitter feeling may have guided this part of Wally's history. There may be several other reasons and not this one.

There maybe many reasons for him to retain the name Davis until after he graduated from Stanford. Again speculate that with Dave Davis and his mother deceased he was able to choose his birthright. The specific reason is not known. You can speculate that he retained the Davis surname for financial reasons. Who knows?

He did, after graduation from Stanford, change his surname back to his birth name Byam.

The name change-change-change is another of those stories of Wally's life.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Good one Shari, It took me a confused second before the smile came to my face
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Good one Shari, It took me a confused second before the smile came to my face
Shari,

That is one gottcha for you.

It is time to add this one to the score board.

It is always a pleasure to be uped by a funster.

Dale
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Gotcha...teeheehee!

Shari Davis
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote