Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Back on track

I am ecstatic that this thread is finally heading in the right direction again!

Sam and I have shared some emails. I am confident that he will be a great new owner. The Bubble was built to tour Europe and perhaps that is where it belongs.

This forum has so much knowledge to offer. Thank you for embracing Sam on his new journey.

Press on Sam!
airhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #162
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by waharknesscaravans View Post
brad,
i've told the folks at gooding to make sure you get a big warm welcome.
sam.
Thanks Sam. I did get a warm reception upon my arrival but once I went inside the trailer, a security guard came by and asked that if I took anything, to put it back and he'd turn his head the other way. No harm, no foul.

Wish I had more time with her, she's a classy unit. I'll load the pictures from the camera in a bit.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This is a truly remarkable thread.

Sam, welcome, and good luck on the restoration. We'll be delighted to watch and read anything you choose to share with us.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #164
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wally's '55 Bubble

Finally got the pictures loaded and resized. Here's about half of them that were taken. My time with the trailer was cut short by the probing security guard and the fact that I had to get to work. I could have easily spent another hour or so taking pictures and studying everything.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetside.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	74327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	74328  

Name:	Tongue.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	74329   Click image for larger version

Name:	ByamPlaque.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	74330  

Name:	Places.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	74331  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #165
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The axle appeared to be about 1 1/2 inches and I found that to be smaller than I would have expected since it was built for advanced excursions for the caravan to follow later. It's painted white in this picture. I was also very interested in the magnesium frame which was hard to see anywhere other than at the tongue where it looks to have surface rust. Does magnesium rust? There was also some stuff hanging from the thin axle that to me was unrecognizable. I recognize the skid plate. Any ideas?

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AxleSprings.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	74332  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #166
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Interior Shots

Interior was mostly there but seemed to have been without the vent cap for awhile because the wood was delaminating directly underneath. Obviously the tiles had been redone at some point. The original 9 x 9 tiles were visible under the front cabinets. Wally sure had it set up with all of these switches to control anything and everything with the 12 volt electrical system. No evidence that a charging system wasn't ever present, probably too early for that. Note the small water tank under front window cabinet. Probably no more than 8 gallons.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InteriorFromRear.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	74333   Click image for larger version

Name:	InteriorFront.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	74334  

Name:	Switches.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	74335   Click image for larger version

Name:	H2Otank.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	74336  

Name:	BreakerBox.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	74337  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #167
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Interior Layout

I know in reviewing these pictures, it appears that there is alot of green. The counters were green but the interior walls had a slight tint of green with a little yellow thrown in. The interior layout is slightly different than I have seen and very close to the Bubble's that came along in later model years. This was designed to Wally's specifications and acted as a prototype for the later models. As you can see, the booth is in the streetside front corner along the side and the front dinette seat goes along the entire width of the interior.

I found it interesting that the stovetop hinged cover had recesses routed out for the burner grates so it would lay all the way down for traveling. The green counters appeared to be original and if they are, they have held up quite well. Over the bed, aft of the sink is what i believe to be the catch for the hinged cover from over the sink, if it had one.

No bathroom in this little gem. I didn't get the opportunity to look under the bed cabinet in the rear and it appears there may have been a furnace under the fridge.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sink.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	74338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stovetop.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	74339  

Name:	Tabletop.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	74340  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
The axle appeared to be about 1 1/2 inches and I found that to be smaller than I would have expected since it was built for advanced excursions for the caravan to follow later. It's painted white in this picture. I was also very interested in the magnesium frame which was hard to see anywhere other than at the tongue where it looks to have surface rust. Does magnesium rust? There was also some stuff hanging from the thin axle that to me was unrecognizable. Any ideas?

Brad
FF
flyfshr,

Very cool that you went out of your way to take some pictures and describe the Bubble.

Fred Caldwell thought the interior was gutted, but it is actually quite intact.

The modification, post Byam, include the bathroom and hanging closet changed to adapt a refrigerator (including roof vent). I think the floors were originally covered with cork. This is evident where the tile installed some years ago is fragmented. This would also make sense given the goal of light weight. There are likely other mods that a trained eye like yours, or other forum members might spot. Exterior: the antenna was removed and a ventilation plate was installed as well as the single propane tank mount was changed to a double. The wheels and hub caps were changed to standard issue from the lighter slotted wheels originally used. Other than these mods, the Bubble is very original. In fact, the spare might actually be of the era when Wally and Stella toured Europe.

The Bubble was not really designed for long excursions, it was designed to be towed behind a VW.

The tongue is magnesium covered by steel. This explains why you see rust. I don't believe that this is the ideal combination for longevity, but the Bubble seems to have survived just fine. Where you can see the magnesium (without pulling the belly pans) is when you look in inside the wheel wells, at the rear bumper mounts, and sandwiched in between the steel on the tongue.

Thank you for posting your photos.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #169
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Now that I have gone back and studied the interior photos, along with your comments about the post Byam modifications, I believe the green formica was installed at the same time as the addition of the fridge. The walls were probably painted then too. I did see the original green speckled Zolotone under the front window inside the cabinet though so they followed along with the green color that was originally applied by the factory. The fridge was definately a later addition because they only had iceboxes in 1955 and the fridge vent is newer as well. So were there any signs of bathroom plumbing under where the fridge is now? What was under the fridge where the square opening is?

I may have another opportunity to go and see this gem one more time before it departs Phoenix so I.m hoping to be able to take more photos and do so at my leisure and not be so hurried.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #170
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
1954 Airstream Catalog

I am quite sure that Wally had a small gas refer in his1955 European Airstream.

I have attached the cover of the 1954 Catalog and inside spec pages.

They offered as standard an ice/electric referigerator, or an optional gas.

They offered a wide range of self-containment items. Including a 2, 3 and 6 cubic foot gas refrigerators.

Even though, I was never in the Wally's '55 summer unit, I am quite sure he wouls specify a gas unit. Again only speculation. Read the page for the 54 Airstreams and use your own judgement.

Recently Brad posted and sent me pictures of my Mother's 26' in its current status. Without the exterior pictures, I would not have known it was our trailer, old #2.

This is so true after +50 years of what happens to classic trailers. A good example is the upside down and back-together-again treatment of the Gold Trailer after I sold it. Airstream is trying to bring it back life. (The new owner even put aluminum strips on the side of the trailer. Amazing.)

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0046 Airstream Catalog 1954.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	74346   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0049 1954 Airstream Catalog.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	74347  

Name:	scan0051 1954 Airstream Catalog.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	74348  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1957 22' Caravanner
islworth , middlesex
Quote:
Originally Posted by waharknesscaravans View Post
hello everyone,
i'm the very very proud new owner of the wally bubble.
i'm from ireland, my wife is english and have two little daughters born in new york but we live between england and ireland at present.
not a movie star or an asian business man or a zilionare, just someone like all of you the has got the bug for airstreams and wants to live my dreams.
will keep you all posted on progress but the plan for the moment to to ship it back to our home in the south west of england. the dream would be to redo the 1955 scouting trip with her and a vw convertable and stop off for some french onion soup in paris on the way.
again will keep you posted, but at the moment just want to finalize the deal and keep her safe.
robert77 has been helping me a great deal on this and we are working out a way that without risking any damage we could let of few folks have a look before this sets sail.
again, i'm just a normal guy with a passion and living my dreams before it's too late.

Best regards,

Sam......

Hi Sam, you must be over the moon with your purchase of this bubble and I am pretty Dam excited too. I am not a rock star or Billionaire either, I live in west London (yes England) and have a 1956 Californian Bubble which I am refurbishing at present. I have 2 Airstreams and am currently driving friends and family crazy by talking about nothing else. Would love to see the Byam bub when it arrives and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way with this once in a lifetime project. Live your dreams!!! Dan
Dan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #172
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Good job on the pics Brad. Thanks!
Jaime
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #173
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Wow!

Congratulations Sam! .... I've been off the forum for some months now since my Mom passed away about the time this thread started last May ... so what a wonderful story to pull me back into the airstream family... what a great new home the Bubble is going to have.

Couple of comments - that color of green appears to be mid-60's in origin

And because I love the language as well as my airstream - the word is Provenance not Providence ... arghh I hate that I'm a spelling and grammar nazi, please bear with me - I just can't help myself!

And a quick shout-out to Marcus - glad you finally found your perfect coach!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sam,

With this Bubble going to the UK, will you need to install a metric hitch and the hand brake/new axle I see going on many airstreams into the UK?

Steve
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #175
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Now that I have gone back and studied the interior photos, along with your comments about the post Byam modifications, I believe the green formica was installed at the same time as the addition of the fridge. The walls were probably painted then too. I did see the original green speckled Zolotone under the front window inside the cabinet though so they followed along with the green color that was originally applied by the factory. The fridge was definately a later addition because they only had iceboxes in 1955 and the fridge vent is newer as well. So were there any signs of bathroom plumbing under where the fridge is now? What was under the fridge where the square opening is?

I may have another opportunity to go and see this gem one more time before it departs Phoenix so I.m hoping to be able to take more photos and do so at my leisure and not be so hurried.
Brad
FF
Flyshr I think your assesments are accurate about the updates (but definitely not upgrades)

I think PeeWee is right about the gas refer, which I beleive was originally installed under the front window next to the original bathroom wall that was removed. The plumbing for the bathroom is in the standard location (front curbside of the Bubble). If you look closely you can see where the wall for the bathroom was removed, and where the wood shelf above the window stops short due to the wall no longer being there. I think the closet where the refer is now was just a standard hanging closet (instead of the hacked up mess it is now).

My mood Sam's mood this Bubble: priceless
Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #176
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa View Post
Congratulations Sam! .... I've been off the forum for some months now since my Mom passed away about the time this thread started last May ... so what a wonderful story to pull me back into the airstream family... what a great new home the Bubble is going to have.

Couple of comments - that color of green appears to be mid-60's in origin

And because I love the language as well as my airstream - the word is Provenance not Providence ... arghh I hate that I'm a spelling and grammar nazi, please bear with me - I just can't help myself!

And a quick shout-out to Marcus - glad you finally found your perfect coach!
welcome back cowboy, looking forward to working with you and with someone with an eye for detail.
carry on camping!
cheers,
sam.
waharknesscaravans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #177
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
Hi Sam, you must be over the moon with your purchase of this bubble and I am pretty Dam excited too. I am not a rock star or Billionaire either, I live in west London (yes England) and have a 1956 Californian Bubble which I am refurbishing at present. I have 2 Airstreams and am currently driving friends and family crazy by talking about nothing else. Would love to see the Byam bub when it arrives and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way with this once in a lifetime project. Live your dreams!!! Dan
Dan,
Fantastic! We have at least two members of the EU Bubble club.
Should be aim for the Ace Cafe or the Rock Cafe for the first meet! Central london would be fun.
Sam.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #178
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Sam,

With this Bubble going to the UK, will you need to install a metric hitch and the hand brake/new axle I see going on many airstreams into the UK?

Steve
Good thinking.
Need to do a bit of research on that.
I guess will just get a US hitch to tow with and keep her intact as much as possible.
I'm importing her as a 'one of kind' historical item plus because of the low weight and size there my bit a bit of give from the DVM. The lights I'll just use a temporary plate for towing and see what happens.
Cheers,
Sam.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #179
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
....Hey Sam, I'm a Cowgirl .... ha ha ha my name's Paula and I'm happy to meet you ... I travel across the pond for business frequently - maybe I'll see you on some country lane in the future. Where will you take the Bubble once you get her all fixed up?
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #180
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa View Post
....Hey Sam, I'm a Cowgirl .... ha ha ha my name's Paula and I'm happy to meet you ... I travel across the pond for business frequently - maybe I'll see you on some country lane in the future. Where will you take the Bubble once you get her all fixed up?

oops, very sorry!
i guess we'll just go camping. would be fab to drive her across america ourselves and let her set sail from new york or new jersey but that could be tricky with the hot weather and kids etc.
will keep an eye out for a cowgirl when i get her into the english countryside!

Tags