Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #181
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You can sail her out of Baltimore too. I would be glad to help you get her to the port. I know a shipping agent that can handle all of those details. Send me a PM and I will give you his number. If you want to have her hatches batted down before she sails, have her stop through Baltimore. I would be honored to preform that work for you. If you want her restored, I would be honored to do that too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
You may want to have the axel and brakes replaced before it is shipped, would save having to ship those items to England.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #183
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would think with a leaf spring axle it would only need shocks. In the UK do they not use surge brakes on trailers? I think electric brakes are a no no there too. Not sure. I bet with as small as it is, it will not take much to stop it. No Hensley Hitch needed here.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead2 View Post
Fred Caldwell thought the interior was gutted, but it is actually quite intact.
Since my name has been mentioned by the seller, and my silence might be deemed my acquiescence to his above opinion, I thought I'd pipe up.

I still think the interior was gutted. Following the auction, we have since learned from the seller that many original interior components are no longer present. I won't list them all here, but by reading this thread and studying photos you can count them for yourself.

When I talked to the former owner who bought the trailer two decades ago and owned it before it was re-sold three times within the past 15 months, he said his seller had the original interior spread out on his lawn. The former owner bought only the trailer and none of the removed original interior pieces. I imagine those pieces have long since been discarded and are now lost to history.

Those are the very brief facts upon which I base my opinion that the trailer has been gutted. I don't regard it as "quite intact" because I understand intact to mean with nothing missing or injured; kept or left whole; sound; entire; unimpaired. But my opinion is not the one that counts. It's the buyer's opinion that counts.

I wish Sam the best of luck and success in getting this Bubble rebuilt and back on the road where most happily belongs.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #185
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Since my name has been mentioned by the seller, and my silence might be deemed my acquiescence to his above opinion, I thought I'd pipe up.

I still think the interior was gutted. Following the auction, we have since learned from the seller that many original interior components are no longer present. I won't list them all here, but by reading this thread and studying photos you can count them for yourself.

When I talked to the former owner who bought the trailer two decades ago and owned it before it was re-sold three times within the past 15 months, he said his seller had the original interior spread out on his lawn. The former owner bought only the trailer and none of the removed original interior pieces. I imagine those pieces have long since been discarded and are now lost to history.

Those are the very brief facts upon which I base my opinion that the trailer has been gutted. I don't regard it as "quite intact" because I understand intact to mean with nothing missing or injured; kept or left whole; sound; entire; unimpaired. But my opinion is not the one that counts. It's the buyer's opinion that counts.

I wish Sam the best of luck and success in getting this Bubble rebuilt and back on the road where most happily belongs.
Fred,

According to you, you have not actually seen the Bubble. Having inspected the interior (first hand) it appears to have many elements "in tact." None of this matters really because the interior is old and in need of total restoration. However, it does appear to be correct in many ways compared to other Bubble interiors that I have seen that I know retain originality and, therefore, could be used as patterns.

Perhaps the former owner that you speak of (Tommy Starks I assume) bought the Bubble "gutted" then went out of his way to install period correct standard cabinets, stove, etc. Then hacked them up. I seriously doubt it.

I think he was the owner that performed the modifications, and only some of the original parts were gutted like the bathroom pieces. Besides, most of the surviving pieces appear to be much older then 20 years (likely original, or partially original). The sink cabinets do appear to have been removed and reinstalled. Perhaps, this is part of the confusion.

It would be helpful if you could be more specific about what does not appear to be correct. Your advice might help the new owner assuming that like me he would like to restore the Bubble - sympathetically.
airhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I would think with a leaf spring axle it would only need shocks. In the UK do they not use surge brakes on trailers? I think electric brakes are a no no there too. Not sure. I bet with as small as it is, it will not take much to stop it. No Hensley Hitch needed here.
I would think about inspecting for broken leafs, and maybe have the arc of the springs checked. The shackle bolts may be worn or if rubber bushed they may need replacing. The axel itself should be inspected for corrosion especially from the interior. These are all normal safety checks performed on any vintage equipment before return to service.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #187
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
I would think about inspecting for broken leafs, and maybe have the arc of the springs checked. The shackle bolts may be worn or if rubber bushed they may need replacing. The axel itself should be inspected for corrosion especially from the interior. These are all normal safety checks performed on any vintage equipment before return to service.
Thanks guys (and ladies) for all your help, to be honest I'm overwhelmed. What a great bunch of people you all are.

I'm going to sit tight for a week or so and get a plan together. This is a steep learning curve for me, but I'm enjoying it.

I have got a very good gentleman in Phoenix looking into options and working on a small plan for me, will not give his name but i think you could guess who it might be. I will most likely get work done in America but overall not looking to recreate an exact replica of what it was 54 years ago, the changes that have been made partly reflect the history of the van and I like that.

I think maybe it's time to close this long thread/chapter of the Byam Bubbles life, she's been and I suggest we start a new one aimed at bringing the Byam Bubble back to life and back to Europe (at least for the next few years).

Many thanks,

Sam.
waharknesscaravans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #188

1956 16' Bubble
Dearborn , Michigan
UK Bubbles-

Hi Sam-

If you choose to, UK law allows you to keep your existing electric brakes on the Bubble, as long as your tow vehicle is properly fitted with a matching brake controller. The ones we've found to work the best, are the simplest, and cost about $80, I'm using a Tekonsha Voyager, its my 3rd, and I love it.

You should have a 2" hitch, which works with a 50MM ball, or someone can get you a proper one from the US and have it tossed in for about $10.

You'll find there are several Bubbles in UK and scattered about mainland Europe. Dan G has a beautiful example of a whale tailed 1956, as do I, which mine is heading there shortly. Simon C has one which is also perfect, Dan G picked it up for him on arrival in SOU, and can attest to that. There are a few other Bubbles in the UK, but these 3 are by far the nicest original bodies. All 3 were or are being worked over by GT, who I believe you spoke to. Would be nice to line all 4 up at some point for a photo shoot.

You can actually have the Bubble loaded into a container, no matter where its sitting, and have it shipped over from Phoenix, without risking trucking damage, which is far too common in the US. They mainly need a warehouse depot that has both a street level and dock height entrance. This is a delicate and valuable shipment- the leading front curbside corner where all the names are painted- should it take a hit, is sure to affect the value. Dans was shipped in a container, with Simons, mine will be as well. Picking the proper shipper will be the key to having it packed right and carefully tied down from the proper structural points- more from the axles than the bumper, support the hitch with blocks, not the jack. You can book a 20' container, ask for truck transport and a water delivery only from the port of departure. Make sure they don't use rail transport from Phoenix to the sea port, which would probably be Long Beach. The jarring effect of the "humping" when the rail cars are attached to each other occurs at around 15MPH, which can shake an Airstream to pieces, and not worth the risk.

I'd avoid roll on freight with this one. They tend to stab things with the forklifts, especially on the UK side, and not worth the risk. Avoid Liverpool. You can find a freight handler in UK, who mostly works with expensive cars being imported who will gently roll this one from the 20' container, and make sure its unscathed. A cradle can also be built, which slides into the container, ensuring proper clearances from the interior walls.

Enjoy this one, hope to see it pulled around by a split window Beetle at some point- Dan G can help you with one of those as well. Welcome to the EU Bub Club.
say.no.evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #189
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
A Few More Pictures of the Bubble

Here's the remainder of the pictures. I hope to get more.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDtag.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	74453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	74454  

Name:	StreetsideRear.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	74455   Click image for larger version

Name:	TailLight.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	74456  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #190
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Undersides.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	74457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	74458  

Name:	CeilingLight.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	74459   Click image for larger version

Name:	CeilingVent.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	74460  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #191
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Last one. There where the cabinet, the bed and wall meet you can tell there has been some work done here. Sorry the picture is so bad, I took it through the rear screen. I need to get a closer look to see what is going on here. I didn't want to step behind the axle while inside for fear of dropping the trailer on its bumper.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BedMod.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	74461  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #192
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Bearing Inderestin'

I enlarged these two areas in an effort to show some interesting tidbits. Let me know what you think.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CeilingHole.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	74468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobbled.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	74469  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #193
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by say.no.evil View Post
Hi Sam-

If you choose to, UK law allows you to keep your existing electric brakes on the Bubble, as long as your tow vehicle is properly fitted with a matching brake controller. The ones we've found to work the best, are the simplest, and cost about $80, I'm using a Tekonsha Voyager, its my 3rd, and I love it.

You should have a 2" hitch, which works with a 50MM ball, or someone can get you a proper one from the US and have it tossed in for about $10.

You'll find there are several Bubbles in UK and scattered about mainland Europe. Dan G has a beautiful example of a whale tailed 1956, as do I, which mine is heading there shortly. Simon C has one which is also perfect, Dan G picked it up for him on arrival in SOU, and can attest to that. There are a few other Bubbles in the UK, but these 3 are by far the nicest original bodies. All 3 were or are being worked over by GT, who I believe you spoke to. Would be nice to line all 4 up at some point for a photo shoot.

You can actually have the Bubble loaded into a container, no matter where its sitting, and have it shipped over from Phoenix, without risking trucking damage, which is far too common in the US. They mainly need a warehouse depot that has both a street level and dock height entrance. This is a delicate and valuable shipment- the leading front curbside corner where all the names are painted- should it take a hit, is sure to affect the value. Dans was shipped in a container, with Simons, mine will be as well. Picking the proper shipper will be the key to having it packed right and carefully tied down from the proper structural points- more from the axles than the bumper, support the hitch with blocks, not the jack. You can book a 20' container, ask for truck transport and a water delivery only from the port of departure. Make sure they don't use rail transport from Phoenix to the sea port, which would probably be Long Beach. The jarring effect of the "humping" when the rail cars are attached to each other occurs at around 15MPH, which can shake an Airstream to pieces, and not worth the risk.

I'd avoid roll on freight with this one. They tend to stab things with the forklifts, especially on the UK side, and not worth the risk. Avoid Liverpool. You can find a freight handler in UK, who mostly works with expensive cars being imported who will gently roll this one from the 20' container, and make sure its unscathed. A cradle can also be built, which slides into the container, ensuring proper clearances from the interior walls.

Enjoy this one, hope to see it pulled around by a split window Beetle at some point- Dan G can help you with one of those as well. Welcome to the EU Bub Club.
Sam,

If you use Cosdel (Martin) for shipping I would send him no.evil's comments. They are spot on.

All the best
airhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #194
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead2 View Post
Sam,

If you use Cosdel (Martin) for shipping I would send him no.evil's comments. They are spot on.

All the best
Thanks,
If I got the right deal I'd consider having her restored prior to leaving the states.
I just found this picture for the first time, would be great to see some more from the trip.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Picture Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by waharknesscaravans View Post
Thanks,
If I got the right deal I'd consider having her restored prior to leaving the states.
I just found this picture for the first time, would be great to see some more from the trip.
Picture furnished from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #196
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Picture furnished from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn
Many thanks Pee Wee. I wonder if they shipped the car over with trailer or if it was a european bug. Would be amazing it if could be tracked down.

Would you have any more info on the 1955 trip, the routes, the people, the trailers. Would be very interesting to see. Did they keep a scrapbook of the journeys?

Sam.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks,
Sam, I know that Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore, Maryland, would do a fantastic job on such a renovation. Frank adores those older trailers with so much history.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and please keep us all updated on the progress. I am eager to see this historic trailer restored to its previous glory.

Best,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #198
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
1955 Summer Scouting Trip in Europe Wally and Stella

Quote:
Many thanks Pee Wee. I wonder if they shipped the car over with trailer or if it was a european bug. Would be amazing it if could be tracked down.

Would you have any more info on the 1955 trip, the routes, the people, the trailers. Would be very interesting to see. Did they keep a scrapbook of the journeys?

Sam.
I probably have no additional pictures. But the trip was written up in the Caravanner, as a interest, selling item and news story to build up the 1956 Caravan to Europe.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #199
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Sam, I know that Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore, Maryland, would do a fantastic job on such a renovation. Frank adores those older trailers with so much history.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and please keep us all updated on the progress. I am eager to see this historic trailer restored to its previous glory.

Best,
-Marcus

Cheers Marcus, Frank seems like a good guy with loads of energy for it.
Your a lucky man living in Austin, I drove up there for a few days form Houston last year and loved the Barton Springs swimming lake.
Thanks again.
Sam.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #200
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I probably have no additional pictures. But the trip was written up in the Caravanner, as a interest, selling item and news story to build up the 1956 Caravan to Europe.

Pee Wee
Thank you Pee Wee, if you stumble across anything please keep me in mind, it's all great to see. I wonder how I'd get a copy of the caravanner, has it been posted before?

Tags