Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Smile Wally in Baker City Heritage Museum and T-shirt

Yesterday we visited the Baker Heritage Museum in Baker City, Orgeon, Wally Byam's birth place. It has a small display about Wally and Airstream. For me, though, the real gem is a Wally T-shirt that I bought in the gift shop. In large letters on the front it says ".. it all Byam July 4, 1896, Baker City, Oregon". Next to the writing is a photo of a young Wally wearing a suit, complete with vest and bow tie. The photo is captioned Wallace Byam Age 8 Years.

The gift shop had 4 of these shirts, and they told me that there will be
no more when these are gone. They initally had 24 shirts, and after my purchase they have only three left (a medium, a X-L and a XX-L).
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi75th View Post
Yesterday we visited the Baker Heritage Museum in Baker City, Orgeon, Wally Byam's birth place. It has a small display about Wally and Airstream. For me, though, the real gem is a Wally T-shirt that I bought in the gift shop. In large letters on the front it says ".. it all Byam July 4, 1896, Baker City, Oregon". Next to the writing is a photo of a young Wally wearing a suit, complete with vest and bow tie. The photo is captioned Wallace Byam Age 8 Years.

no more when these are gone. They initally had 24 shirts, and after my purchase they have only three left (a medium, a X-L and a XX-L).
Eventually the Museum will be the home of all of the items that I have from the Byam family.

Of note the Byam family had a very interesting history in Baker. Wally of course is noted for the Airstream. His first cousin, Helen Byam Schwamborn, also from Baker is responsible for the WBCCI.

Let's not forget Wally's Mother, Carrie Biswell. The Biswell family is of significant local history. James Biswell, Wally's grandfather, had the sheep that Wally herded. Then Dr. Roger Biswell, Sr. and Dr. Roger Biswell, Jr.

Between the Biswell's and Byam's there is such a rich family heritage in Baker City, Oregon.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Baker City History

PeeWee ... your materials will make a wonderful addition to a very good museum that celebrates the history of Baker City and its people. We had little idea of the rich heritage of this area until visiting the museum.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi75th View Post

When we passed through on our way to Salem for the International Rally a couple of years ago, the "DenCO Caravan" cleaned them out! I LOVE that T-shirt...too cute!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I emailed to get one, and the XL is gone. Only M and XXL left.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Woodinville , WA
Wally Byam Exibit Update / Baker City Heritage Museum

Phil Krogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update to this 12-year-old thread. Did you visit the museum recently? It appears to be open again:

http://www.bakerheritagemuseum.com/index.html

Happy Trails.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote