Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
plain city , Ohio
We purchased a 1970 31' sovereign a few weeks ago that has the maintenance records since 1970 and the people who sold it did a great job going to every state in the union including Alaska and had just returned from Alabama. Our trailer is original but updated with new covers, new drapes and shades for the windows, carpet, and was kept inside when not in use. We were very lucky. So far we have inspected, tested, and everything is working good. It's not glassy and gleaming and to have it done at $230 dollars a linear foot I don't think we will have it done unless we do it. But so far we are hooked on it and plan to use it well.

Al
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thoughts on Vintage AS

I have enjoyed this thread. I am fairly new to the AS scene, only 8 months, I have spent most of that time fixing up my used 6 year old trailer. Interestingly I discovered that the original owner bought it when it was nearly two years old. So, in effect, it has been used for a relatively short time. I did what Gene said "buy one 5-10 years old" and I am glad I did. Even at that I have had to do quite a bit of updating or maintenance work.

I do like the older models though. There are so many special models that it makes it interesting. I was afraid to get one too old as I would not know what or how to do anything. I looked at a few older models recently. One was a larger unit in a field. The rear floor was rotted out in the bathroom and it was rough. That would overwhelm me with my small bit of knowledge in such things. Oh, yesterday I was in a 34' classic triple axle at Camping xxld on consignment. Very clean asking $59K. Too big for my truck, whew.

I must say that I like those little AS units and the 22' International with the desk in the back (newer model). Though not vintage, it is unique and practical.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl
I have enjoyed this thread. I am fairly new to the AS scene, only 8 months, I have spent most of that time fixing up my used 6 year old trailer. Interestingly I discovered that the original owner bought it when it was nearly two years old. So, in effect, it has been used for a relatively short time. I did what Gene said "buy one 5-10 years old" and I am glad I did. Even at that I have had to do quite a bit of updating or maintenance work.

I do like the older models though. There are so many special models that it makes it interesting. I was afraid to get one too old as I would not know what or how to do anything. I looked at a few older models recently. One was a larger unit in a field. The rear floor was rotted out in the bathroom and it was rough. That would overwhelm me with my small bit of knowledge in such things. Oh, yesterday I was in a 34' classic triple axle at Camping xxld on consignment. Very clean asking $59K. Too big for my truck, whew.

I must say that I like those little AS units and the 22' International with the desk in the back (newer model). Though not vintage, it is unique and practical.
Curious as to what kind of repairs you are doing to a 6 yr old Airstream.
Upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Northport , New York
I'm showing my ignorance but- what's an OSB floor? No longer used by AS? Is it wood, cardboard? Thinking about buying a used 20' because I like rear kitchen. Did they use this flooring in 2006 thru 2010 models? Any words of caution regarding this model? Known faults or poor design?
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Oriented Strand Board. Up here the common name for it is "particle board". There are other names for it, but few of them can used in polite company.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Oriented Strand Board. Up here the common name for it is "particle board". There are other names for it, but few of them can used in polite company.
Particle board is very different stuff. It behaves about the same way when wet, but OSB is a much less-crappy product when it's dry.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
OSB deteriorates quickly when it gets wet and anyplace that can get wet should not have OSB. It is cheaper than plywood and is used in dry locations. I think it isn't as strong as plywood. It can be used a sheathing for buildings, but has to be isolated and well sealed to protect it from weather. Airstream used OSB as a subfloor for a few years about a decade ago on some of the smaller trailers. It created lots of problems and the company replaced it under warranty. But some trailers may not have been fixed.

I have seen it used as an exposed ceiling, wall, countertop or floor and coated with something like a clear polyurethane to protect it. It looks rustic and not too bad in a garage or cabin. Most particleboard has very small homogeneous particles, but OSB has large fibers in a random patter with lots of glue holding it together. Particleboard has little strength and cracks easily.

End of OSB treatise.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, let's all call it what we each individually prefer, but there is only one characteristic it has that interests Airstream owners.

When it gets wet, it dissolves like an Alka-Seltzer tablet in the rain.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I have seen it used as an exposed ceiling, wall, countertop or floor and coated with something like a clear polyurethane to protect it. It looks rustic and not too bad in a garage or cabin...

End of OSB treatise.

Gene
I've seen it used as walls in a clear finish, too. It was in a bar outside my hometown (Paris, Arkansas) where they had taken out the cock fighting arena and put in a stage.

That's the level of class clear finished OSB has.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We went vintage and got the best of both worlds.

We got got the rounded retro style that we like better, and at a much cheaper starter price than a newer trailer.

But we also got it in good enough condition that it only took about 4 months of weekends to get it ready to camp in (mainly running lights, new axles, patching and sealing the subfloor, and window sealing). We started as an aluminum tent with a kitchen sink and stove. Gradually, we have added features like a functional fridge, a composting toilet, new water heater, a couple of dinettes, a shower and vanity, solar panels, LED interior lights and other things to shape it to our tastes and needs.

Each year we have spent many nights camping, and each time our trailer is just a bit more finished.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Our 1967 Tradewind was a good find for us. It needs/needed lots of work but we have used & enjoyed it from the begining. We have been doing the work slowly, which while sometimes frustrating is at least affordable. Check out my thread- 1967 Tradewind Travel Travails.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
I'm showing my ignorance but- what's an OSB floor? No longer used by AS? Is it wood, cardboard? Thinking about buying a used 20' because I like rear kitchen. Did they use this flooring in 2006 thru 2010 models? Any words of caution regarding this model? Known faults or poor design?
We had a 2007 Safari SE 20' for two years. It is a remarkable design with the large kitchen, but did not like it because of the center dinette. It felt claustrophobic, the large panoramic window being assigned to the bedroom.

If I wanted a smaller Airstream is would be the 19' with the panoramic window, or for larger the 25' with panoramic window. The 20' is also too small for long stays, perhaps more than a month. The living space is only the dinette and it becomes really small really quick.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Buying vintage is good if you like vintage and have the necessary skills to do the repair work yourself or the money to hire a good airstream renovator to do it for you. Look at lots of them and buy the best one that you can find. It is better to spend 8k on a real good one then 3k on a major project IMHO. I bought a real good one with good bones, a good skin and good interior. I have done lots of work to it, but also camped in it as I have worked on it. When it is finished, it will be better than a new one, it will be unique and I will have done it my way.

If you buy it right you will never loose money, no matter how many improvements you make to it. Look at lots of them, so you can make a good judgement about what you want and how much you need to spend.

Welcome to the forums.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner
We went vintage and got the best of both worlds.

We got got the rounded retro style that we like better, and at a much cheaper starter price than a newer trailer.

Same rationale here. We were able to pay cash and found one that was vintage outside, and modernized inside (refinished cabinets, updated appliances, 50A electrical, 3-stage converter, AC, newer mattress, new upholstery, etc.....) So far, we have gotten to use it for camping and have not had to do any restoration work. We passed on many, many older AS that were in good original condition before we found this one that is perfect for our needs. My recommendation is to keep looking until you find the one that is just right for you, even if you have to spend a little more initially to get what you really want.