Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
International Harvesters on the African Caravan

What happened in Africa need not stay in Africa.

In April at the Cherry Blossom Rally, a true, diehard IH collector asked how did the IH's perform in Africa?

I was blunt, hopefully not insulting, but my first word was spelled out. I don't believe it was the answer that was sought.

I spelled "J U N K!" I'm sorry, but it is true the IH's were nothing but trouble.

What about the Chevrolets, Fords, Dodges and the one Land Rover? No memorable problems.

In good faith Wally Byam purchased an International Harvester. And so did most of the African Caravanner’s.

So what's wrong with that?

Nothing on paved roads. Nothing on toll roads. And maybe nothing when not towing an Airstream.

There were severe engineering discrepancies in the drive train. I am not engineer, but will detail the problems.

Broken axles, spider gears shattering their teeth, drive shafts cracking...yes monumental, and universal. To my knowledge most, if not all, of the International Harvesters had trouble. And many had problems more than once. Snap, crack-led, and plop!

The first line of defense was the Union of South Africa, then Africa, then Europe...when we depleted the parts on two continents we had to have them flown in from the United States.

So a presumed commonality to protect breakdowns and down time, turned into a physical disaster.

"J-U-N-K"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	International Harvester.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	85930  
Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I know when he asked you the question, he was expecting a different response about their performance.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Dale,

Long time IH owner, collector and fan here.

I challenge you to a duel. Have your second contact mine.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
How Many IH, GM, Ford, Dodge?

Pee Wee,

How many of each vehicle brand were used on the trip. It would be interesting to know. Sounds like most of the trailers were pulled by IH. How many GM, Ford and Dodges. You said one Land Rover.

If you have details please post the model/rating (i.e. 1500, 2500, 3500). I realize the older trucks may not have used these model numbers but you get the idea. I'm curious if the IH was under-rated and maybe the GM, Ford, Dodge and Land Rover had a heavy duty drive trains.

No excuses for IH, just curious.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Pee Wee,

If you have details please post the model/rating (i.e. 1500, 2500, 3500). I realize the older trucks may not have used these model numbers but you get the idea. I'm curious if the IH was under-rated and maybe the GM, Ford, Dodge and Land Rover had a heavy duty drive trains.
Lucius
I doubt Dale (no offense) can answer that.

My '57 was an B120 3/4 4X4 and my '60 (made in 59) was a B120 3/4 4X4 factory fitted with 2 ton trans, transfer case and rear end. It was a fire truck and yet other than the grill looked exactly like the '57. The options list from IH was thicker than a phone book as they were mostly commercial vehicles.

As a very general rule though. There were very few 1/2 ton 4X4's

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It is interesting and puzzling to note that International Harvester used the same drive components that other manufacturers did, supplied by Dana, Spicer, Fuller, and the like. They made their own engines and bodies. One wonders why the same equipment worked OK in one manufacturer's vehicle, but not in another's?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Pee Wee,

How many of each vehicle brand were used on the trip. It would be interesting to know. Sounds like most of the trailers were pulled by IH. How many GM, Ford and Dodges. You said one Land Rover.

No excuses for IH, just curious.

Lucius
Lucius,

I really don't know off hand. I may have the info somewhere. The only Land Rover was purchased in South Africa.

Pee Wee
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Theory

If "Cash for Clunkers" was in stride in 1959, none of the International Harvesters would have made it out of the show room, and most all mechical problems would have be avoided in Africa.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Dale, Was it true that the Land Rover never broke down once? Were any of the other tow vehicles free of break downs?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
IHs rule!

They might have broken down, but they made it... IHs are part of America's heritage.... and that's why I love em!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I still have to work on ours before, (sometimes during), and after every tow trip. It's par for the course with IHs.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Good, the Bad and the International Harvesters

Frank,

The Land Rover never had a problem. If the other brands had problems they were minor.

The IH's were like lemmings on a mass sucide march off a cliff.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry to hear this. Remember reading about IH used in India/Pakistan in early 1960's and how one could even find parts in a bazaar in Peshawar. May now know why.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
African Tow Vehicles

This thread was posted to show the distruibution of tow vehicle manufacturers used on the African caravan.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...-it-55754.html