Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Interesting connection to Wally Byam found in Revcon motorhome

I just found one of these today and I think I am going to pick it up tommorrow.
I was driving and had to turn around and look at it because for some reason I found it interesting. Turned out it was all aluminum! It is built in 71 as a 72 year model and is 25' long and I liked it so I did some reasearch and found out why I liked it, check out the connection to Airstream below. I highlighted in red the important connection.
Has anyone heard of these before or did you know this?

The Revcon Motorhome
The Revcon motorhome dates back to 1968, when a man named John Hall conceived the idea of a low-profile, front-drive coach with a lightweight aluminum monocoque body. This was not entirely a coincidence since John was the stepson of Wally Byam of Airstream Trailer fame.

Production started in Fountain Valley, CA, with the 1972 model using the Oldsmobile Toronado 455 engine and drive system. By the end of the 1970s, however, Olds had downgraded their drive systems, which were no longer suitable for motorhome use, so Revcon designed their own front-wheel drive system using the Chevrolet 454 engine. They also redesigned the nose of the coach at this time to the beautiful streamlined shape that was in use with minor variations until the end of production in 1989.

It's not hard to imagine the impact these coaches had 20 and 30 years ago when they were so far ahead of all the competition that they still do not look outdated in today's world.

Revcon site at http://www.revconeers.com and a picture of this style of coach is there.

Airstreams are of course still the coolest, but I thought some would find the connection to Wally to interesting not to post it.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is interesting. One more thing to watch for on the road.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
...Has anyone heard of these before or did you know this?
The Revcon Motorhome
The Revcon motorhome dates back to 1968, when a man named John Hall conceived the idea of a low-profile, front-drive coach with a lightweight aluminum monocoque body. This was not entirely a coincidence since John was the stepson of Wally Byam of Airstream Trailer fame.
PPL, a big Houston, Texas consignment dealer, had two of the late 80's models on their lot earlier this year.

I had no idea of their connection to old WB.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Here are some pictures, I started stripping it to get ready to polish!
It is really cool.
The interior is super clean, and it runs perfect.

Interesting that it was concieved in 1968 the same year Beatrice bought Airstream, did this guy John Hall ever work at Airstream? It is like he could not do Airstreams anymore and started this company. It has a few interesting similarities, I am sure he was influanced by Wally and the Airstream design. And since he was family I would think he benifited financialy from the sale of Airstream and probably used the funds to start this company.
Does anyone know any history of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	771
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	8004   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010F.JPG
Views:	1094
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	8005  

Name:	MVC-011F.JPG
Views:	1125
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	8006   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	8007  

Name:	MVC-013F.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	8008  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #5

Thumbs up correct on the revcon

I have owned an '83 revcon for 3 years. I was intrigued by the story and very impressed with the design and quality of the coach. It drives better than most any coach even 15 years newer. Alas, I have moved and no longer have a place to keep her, so she must pass on to a new owner who will be delighted with what she has to offer. I'm asking $14,500, please email mark@volotrading.com with any interest.
rev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I posted some pictures above
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Revcon Owner

Chicago area , Illinois
Don't know if old threads can be woken up by new posts, but today I just stumbled on a news article about John Hall from the early 70s. He actually did work for Airstream for 20 years. He worked as an engineer and later worked in marketing. The news article made the case for John Hall being the driving force at Airstream in trailer design. Putting that together with starting Revcon in '68 seems to make a lot of sense.
daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Love to see some interior shots. What color will you paint her? Or will you go with polished aluminum?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinet View Post
Don't know if old threads can be woken up by new posts, but today I just stumbled on a news article about John Hall from the early 70s. He actually did work for Airstream for 20 years. He worked as an engineer and later worked in marketing. The news article made the case for John Hall being the driving force at Airstream in trailer design. Putting that together with starting Revcon in '68 seems to make a lot of sense.

Could you direct us to that article please?

Also I would like to hear from PeeWee on this , John Hall = stepson connection.
Is Mr. Hall still living ?
Would love to see him interviewed if so.

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Thanks for the info & links; those were very cool coaches, don't see many on the road ('course, don't see many AS mo/hos, either!)
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
There's a huge AS motor home by my inlaws I never see it move but will take some pics so you all can see it....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Wow.. talk about waking an old thread!

Neat info.

It also appears Revcon is still in business making neat RV's.

Revcon Motorcoach, Inc. - 4x4 Motorhomes
Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The Foretravels were cool in that era, too.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
Revcon Owner

Chicago area , Illinois
That new Revcon company is a not really the old Revcon company. Even though the website exists, I'm not sure they are still in business. I've talked to a 4x4 owner, and the fit and finish is not the same as from the 70s and 80s. Revcon went belly up in 1990, closed its doors. The website is from someone who took over the old stock and building and started over.

I'm a big Revcon fanatic and stumbled on an eBay listing for some Revcon brochures. They arrived in my mail box Tuesday, so hence the timing of the post. I received a 3 page news article that told of the Airstream connection. Also I received a 3 page interview with John Hall, from shortly after he started Revcon. Photos from that article would suggest John was in his 50s back then, so I doubt he is still living. Amongst Revcon owners, it was well known John Hall was the stepson of Wally, but what was not known till now was John's position at Airstream. Of course these articles were written from the perspective of promoting Revcon, so one does not know to what extent John's position was embellished or a solid description of fact. I'm working on taking photos of these articles and will publish them to the net sometime this weekend. When I get them up, I'll post a link here.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
Revcon Owner

Chicago area , Illinois
Oh, I noticed one other thing I need to clarify, the photos of the Revcon above are not mine. They belong to RichardT. Unfortunately it was in an accident, so I believe it has been sold. There are pics of RichardT's crash on my website, as well as interior shots.
New Page 2
Mine is an '83 shown here:
New Page 2
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
10 Years of Less at Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinet View Post
The earliest possible time that John would have worked at Airstream is 1950 and his tenure would have been over in the mid-50's, possible late 50's, but not past then. His time at Airstream was 5 to 10 years.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Rebirth of John Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Could you direct us to that article please?

Also I would like to hear from PeeWee on this , John Hall = stepson connection.
Is Mr. Hall still living ?
Would love to see him interviewed if so.

thanks
For many years, too many years, I had heard that John Hall had been murdered in Mexico City. Which I found to be tragic.

Then plus two years ago in talking with Fred Coldwell, I found that John was alive well and living in the state of Washington.

I made contact with John and had a very nice conversation with him. Since then he has disappeared off the face of the earth. I have not been able to find him. John's age is somewhere between very late 70's and early 80's.

I mentioned is one of the other threads that John worked for a very limited time with Airstream. However he did supply Airstream stainless steel water tanks and the first electronic control panels. I'm not sure for what period he was a supplier.

As far as Stel's financial status and John's inheritance I know absolutely nothing about their personal affairs. I believe John problably invested his inheritance and had partners to fincance Revcon. The idea was novel.

That's all I know about this aspect of John Hall.

I did, on another thread not in this series, mention my relationship with John Hall.

Pee Wee
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Revcon Owner

Chicago area , Illinois
I finally got to creating a copy of the interview with John Hall. I reformatted the original brochure into a PDF format.
http://www.geocities.com/revconprinc...s/JohnHall.pdf
Here is also a txt version of a different article that speaks of John Hall's connection with Airstream. i was going to send the high res photos, but I ran out of space on my web hosting site, so here is a text only version.
http://www.geocities.com/revconprinc.../Revcon250.txt
The date on the brochure was 1970, so if you work backwards, you can figure out when he was with Airstream.

'83 Revcon FWD
502 w/Howell/Edelbrock MPFI
Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Revcon Related Web Sites

http://www.revconmotorcoach.com/index.html

http://revconeers.com/forum/

http://www.cifumotorsports.com/revcon/

http://www.aircraft-electrician.4t.com/
Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #20

Scottsdale , AZ
So many of these links are down. Daveinet are you still around but at a new website? Wordpress blogs are free and easy. and Facebook pages are really free and easy. Is anyone there on FB?

I'm interested in purchasing at Flatnose Revcon or a 24' Argosy or an FMC. Airstream is out of my league price-wise, but I love some funky styling. The FMC owners group/forum is super-active, so though they seem more complex than the Revcon or Argosy, maybe the forum help will make maintenance more feasible. Any hints/suggestions/leads/cajoling?

Thanks,
Dave
59ona64 is offline   Reply With Quote