RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meriden , CT
Help identify please!

Hi everyone,

I am not an Airstream owner, but I do RV on weekends, my question has to do with my grandparent's Airstream.

Backstory: In 1986 my grandparents Don and Carol Fielding moved from Margate Florida into an Airstream to travel, which they did for about 3 years.
They have both since passed and all I have is a few pictures (not great focus either, my grandmother wasn't much of a photographer...). I would like to know if anyone can identify at least close to a model and possibly length.

Personally I am interested if anyone ever remembers meeting them, They spent quite a lot of time in Arizona and Alabama, in fact the photo of them together is from 1988 in Huntsville at an Airstream Rally. They also had the red Wally Byram numbers, 1716 on their Airstream. I remember that the couch was in the front and the bedroom was in the back, I believe they had twin beds in the back, but not 100% sure of that.

I would also be curious to know if their rig was still in use. They sold it in 1990 in Okeechobee Florida.

Thanks for any help, I realize this is a challenge as I have no other information other than these 3 pictures. I just hope someone recognizes the exterior design elements and can get me close to the model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ga.pdf (6.53 MB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf gg1.pdf (5.27 MB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf g1716.pdf (4.11 MB, 16 views)
Radmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmandan View Post
Hi everyone,

I am not an Airstream owner, but I do RV on weekends, my question has to do with my grandparent's Airstream.

Backstory: In 1986 my grandparents Don and Carol Fielding moved from Margate Florida into an Airstream to travel, which they did for about 3 years.
They have both since passed and all I have is a few pictures (not great focus either, my grandmother wasn't much of a photographer...). I would like to know if anyone can identify at least close to a model and possibly length.

Personally I am interested if anyone ever remembers meeting them, They spent quite a lot of time in Arizona and Alabama, in fact the photo of them together is from 1988 in Huntsville at an Airstream Rally. They also had the red Wally Byram numbers, 1716 on their Airstream. I remember that the couch was in the front and the bedroom was in the back, I believe they had twin beds in the back, but not 100% sure of that.

I would also be curious to know if their rig was still in use. They sold it in 1990 in Okeechobee Florida.

Thanks for any help, I realize this is a challenge as I have no other information other than these 3 pictures. I just hope someone recognizes the exterior design elements and can get me close to the model.
Welcome to the forums. That looks like a 1970 31' Sovereign.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meriden , CT
Thanks!

Wow Overlander63, that was fast!

Do you know if there are records somewhere regarding the red WB numbers?
Old 09-18-2020, 01:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
To my eye, your grandparents Airstream could be a 1970, 1971, or 1972 31' Sovereign International. These three years really had no exterior visual differences. Inside photos could be used to narrow down the years within this range as there were interior changes made during this time period.

I can further narrow down your search by observing that it appears that your grandparents had a state name added in blue letters between the trim lines rearward of the "International badge on the side of the trailer, though I cannot make out the name of the state. This was a common Airstream "customization" during the 1970s. Since they bought the trailer used, it might or might not be their home state. The trailer also had ZipDee awnings added on the curbside, street side, and over the front window (possibly over the rear window, too, but no photo to confirm). Unfortunately there is no way to use these details, nor the big red WBCCI numbers, to help you find the trailer, though they might help you confirm it should you happen to stumble upon it by accident.

About the only option you might have to find it would be if you could find an old registration certificate or other document that contained the serial number. Maybe then you could do a title search.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meriden , CT
Thanks everyone for your help! I am currently trying to get the trailer VIN etc from when they registered it in Margate FL.