Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Anybody seen a painted Airstream before?

Hello everybody!
We met a very nice couple at Meaher State Park here in Mobile yesterday... the husband helped us with some Trailing101 (it was our Airstream's maiden voyage with us, and our first time 'Streaming!) and he mentioned that he had a 1977 Sovereign and that it was in great condition and we should come check it out... now, I'm a newbie to the Airstream world so I love looking at other trailers so it was an obvious "ok, we'll come look..."
I was puzzled when I first saw it because:
a) it was painted pearly-grayish-white
b) the stripe on the side that's usually blue was red
c) the bottom was painted a dark gray-green-black
d) next to the sovereign nameplate there was an orange, circular badge with an "A" on it and the saying:
"Another Quality Product Leisure World Of Airstream"

Any thoughts? Do you think somebody simply painted it to be different? I'm no expert but it was a great paint job, looked super professional... the gentleman is the 2nd owner and said that only a small number of these were made, true?

Come on o' wise ones! If somebody knows something, cure my curiosity.

Thanks!
Shar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EarlStream.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	79618  
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Well, it's not an Argosy (no panoramic window up front). A silver painted Airstream can be hard to tell from more than 5' away. This one looks a different color. Have a paint chip?

78 Sovereign?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They were sometimes painted from the factory, for one reason or another. Usually they are painted silver, and any striping is the same color as the non-painted ones. One of our forums members has a factory-painted Overlander.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
beauty

Big Al and his wife, Jean, have a beautiful AS that is painted. The silver almost perfectly matches the aluminum color. Their model came that way!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Paint

ALL the Squarestreams came painted from the factory.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wide red stripes have been used as well as blue.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
There is a red one for sale , the kind you drive on PCH in Malibu.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
at the KY Rally I Saw a couple that was from Canada and there's was painted from the factory
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There have been a couple of folks here on the forum that have painted their Airstream silver metallic. I know one forum member that painted his Argosy silver. Lots of folks repaint their Argosys when restoring them so it's not that surprising that someone painted their Airstream. I would guess they painted it a non-silver color to be different or that was what was available at the time that was compatible with aluminum. Since the strip is red, either the "different" reason or maybe it came from the factory that color.

Either way, it looks like a really nice Airstream and looks like they take good care of it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Thanks everybody! Good to hear some thoughts regarding the paint... I described it as whitish but, I suppose, it may be gray/silver... my eyes are so used to looking at aluminum now that they didn't know what to think of the color...

Minnie's Mate: it is very well cared for and clean on the inside... the other reason I am curious is because when speaking to the couple they are wanting to sell it... I told them about this wonderful place online called "airforums.com" but they aren't computer savvy, so I offered to take some pictures and post an ad for them. But I had no idea what I was looking at...

CanoeStream: thanks for reminding me of that resource... I looked at all the pictures and none of them show this AS's kitchen layout, it has an angled sink with swing out carbage can beneath it... the ID plate says the year of manufacture was 1977...

This must've been the "cadillac" model for its time and he's only the 2nd owner... the rear has twin beds, then the middle bath with full shower, a wall full of closet space, Zip Dee awnings throughout, even the control panel/box/tank and electrical info/guages is above the cooktop not at the front of the trailer, make sense?

I guess I'll get the ad posted when the gentleman tells me what he wants to sell it for... appreciate everybody's feedback!

Shar
Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post
at the KY Rally I Saw a couple that was from Canada and there's was painted from the factory
Was that Big Al's? When I saw his painted Airstream I didn't even know it was painted. It looked great. I would love that easy care finish if it ever got to the point that the corroision was too bad and IF I could afford to have the Airstream painted, which I doubt I could or would. I would probably trade her in on something with 4 season insulation though.

The pictured Airstream in the first post is really sharp looking.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
I've never seen an Airstream like that! Don't tell this around but I kinda like it! Saw an 80's Airstream at an auction a couple of years ago painted silver. You couldn't tell it from a distance. The elderly owner said he bought it in Arizona, the previous owner had painted it to keep it cooler. The trailer was beautiful but the paint which had some damage was the only thing that kept me from bidding.
bimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hey Bimpy... I'll let you know when I place the ad because I'll have more pictures to post... I just wanted to post this one pic to find out what its story may be.... it is super nice! the couple is here in south Alabama and he kept telling me I needed to buy it but I had to tell him I am perfectly happy with my tradewind... sovereign's a bit more trailer than I need... tried it once, sold it to a nice couple from Minnesota when I realized I would not have the financial resources to redo it.... anyways, this ones all original on the inside and looks nicely cared for... the paint is amazing! I had to run my hand over it cause it looked so slick, very well done... it's was a sight to see...
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 62 looks like Moby Dick. It was painted at some point after 64 and looks like a professional job with white over a dark primer. I dread stripping her. It was not painted as it came from the factory. I know because this trailer was on the 63-64 Around the World Caravan and is in a lot of photos from the trip unpainted. The good news is no silicone. Someone sealed some of the seams with tar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AmbassadorFR.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	79643  
Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
My 62 looks like Moby Dick. It was painted at some point after 64 and looks like a professional job with white over a dark primer. I dread stripping her. It was not painted as it came from the factory. I know because this trailer was on the 63-64 Around the World Caravan and is in a lot of photos from the trip unpainted. The good news is no silicone. Someone sealed some of the seams with tar.
Why the spread eagle on the LPG bottles?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have friends whose trailer went to a dealer (who shall remain unnamed) for a clear-coat repair. The repair (re application?) did not take. Even after a couple of tries. The dealer offered to paint it instead and our friends agreed. It looks great. And you can't tell it is painted until you get pretty close.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
We have friends whose trailer went to a dealer (who shall remain unnamed) for a clear-coat repair. The repair (re application?) did not take. Even after a couple of tries. The dealer offered to paint it instead and our friends agreed. It looks great. And you can't tell it is painted until you get pretty close.
Painting an Airstream with the clearcoat is rather tricky.

The aluminum, prior to painting, must be "chemically clean."

Once it's properly cleaned, the paint must be applied within about 2 hours. If not, the clear paint will bead up like mad, since the bare aluminum will oxidize ever so slightly, that fast. That creates a huge problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally 1956 European Trailer

This is not a historical thread, but a thread dealing with Airstreams as such. (Floors, furnances and other items of restoration.) I will post a picture of Wally's trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVD 2008 - BOZEMAN RALLY (452).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	79645  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Awesome pic PeeWee! Mont St. Michele is one of the neatest places to go to... one of my favorite experiences... too cool you chose that picture to send
I thought I had seen a few painted AS in pictures but they always looked much duller than the one I'm asking about... they always looked like the Argosys.... because this one looks so shiny I had to ask if anybody was familiar with this specific finish on a 77 Sovereign. What's funnier is the fact the gentleman that owns it has 2 other MHs he wants me to post for him (84 Pace Arrow and a GMC MH) plus a 5th wheel, a dually, a Chevy truck... I swear the list kept going! My initial offer was "hey, I like Airstreams, there's this great site, I can help you try to sell it..." Now, I'm gonna post the AS and the 2 motorhomes, that's it... but the funny part is everything I looked at on his property had the same description come out of his mouth "top of the line"... everything was "top of the line"... he just kept saying it... anyways, because he thought everything he owned was top of the line I had to find out if that was truly case for the AS.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Here's a photo of a full body paint 25' Safari with a dramatic striping job.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...e-40248-2.html
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote