Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #61
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like Brad is looking for a truly unique TV for his 59 Trade Wind.

How cool would that be?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #62
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Man, my secret's out. It would make a great tow vehicle. Very cool stuff.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Your the MAN Pee Wee.. Keep em comin buddy!! Thanks alot... Ralph
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #64
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Brad is playing the real History Detective if you ask me. I think the scout truck has him very captivated indeed. I could think of worst things to be captivated by.
Click image for larger version

Name:	iran.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	77304
I am captivated by this one. Someday I hope to have it towing my Overlander. At present I will make due with my 2001 Dodge. She is being detailed this week, for I will have a dignitary riding with me on a caravan.

Well Brad, now we know the trucks made it back to the States. Next we need to find in which state they currently reside.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #65
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another Option

Frank is quite correct. I like the red and beige coloring over the dark blue but either would be a fantastic tow vehicle. Don't think there were many of these made though let alone them still being around.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wally's IH.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	77305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wally's IH2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	77306  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Red facsimile truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Frank is quite correct. I like the red and beige coloring over the dark blue but either would be a fantastic tow vehicle. Don't think there were many of these made though let alone them still being around.

Brad
FF
This red fire engine is interesting. The only IH that had writing on the side was Wally's, we had no decals for any of the vehicles.

This is a very inventive truck/Airstream owner duplicating Wally's gold IH.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Another page to the story. I am riveted. keep those memories flowing, PeeWee. Thanks.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:

Brad
FF
Are those pictures from the time that this truck was owned by the Auburn Trailer Collection in New Castle, CA?

I have a print out from when that truck and the associated 1959 Overlander trailer behind it were for sale or were sold on the Tin Can Tourists web site in March 2007. The trailer was $6000, the truck was "inquire".

Unfortunately the Tin Can Tourist ad never made it clear if the trailer was from the Capetown to Cairo Caravan (no WBCCI numbers were visible), nor for that matter did it even make it clear if the truck was original or just a well detailed copy.

Do you have more information about this truck and trailer?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Ghastlly Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Are those pictures from the time that this truck was owned by the Auburn Trailer Collection in New Castle, CA?

I have a print out from when that truck and the associated 1959 Overlander trailer behind it were for sale or were sold on the Tin Can Tourists web site in March 2007. The trailer was $6000, the truck was "inquire".

Unfortunately the Tin Can Tourist ad never made it clear if the trailer was from the Capetown to Cairo Caravan (no WBCCI numbers were visible), nor for that matter did it even make it clear if the truck was original or just a well detailed copy.

Do you have more information about this truck and trailer?
We had no red truck like the one in the picture.

The only truck that had the writing on the side was Wally's and it was gold tone to go with Stella's Gold trailer. The Scout Truck and the Mechanic's Truck had the same writing on each side that Wally had on his truck.

We absolutely had no decals on any of the trucks as shown in the pictures.

The truck may have gone to Africa, who knows.

Color and round decal definitely did not go to Africa.

The truck type and the utility box type are typical of what Wally used, but the red paint...aargh!

Personally if you want memories of the too many IH's that went to Africa go to a junk yard and find some snapped axles, and spider gears. The IH's only bring back bad memories of lousy engineering.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #70
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is indeed the set-up that was for sale through Vince's associate as part of the Auburn Trailer Collection and was out of the bay area a few years back. I just loved the fact that someone would take the time and effort to duplicate Wally's truck. Only now I hear from an undisputed authority that there never was a red truck. I realize, the IH left alot to be desired on rough roads and long trips but they're still cool looking. However, I'd still take the Chevy scout truck any day of the week.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #71
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
perhaps the fact that Wally's tow vehicle is almost always in black and white photos has thrown some people off. Personally, when I look at the photos of his vehicle, I make a visual guess of red. I believe someone in florida has also done a recreation of one of the C2C tow vehicles and I have been requesting photos for it is for sale.

So Pee Wee, you have, a few times, made it obvious that the Internationals did not hold up to the abuses of the roads you were building. Which of the trucks did you prefer? Was one make better than the rest? Say someone had a 1962 and wanted to mate it up to a tow vehicle of the same era. Maybe like if it was a around the world trailer or a wantabe trailer for that caravan... what truck would you suggest?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
If takes gas, if it moves, with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
perhaps the fact that Wally's tow vehicle is almost always in black and white photos has thrown some people off. Personally, when I look at the photos of his vehicle, I make a visual guess of red. I believe someone in florida has also done a recreation of one of the C2C tow vehicles and I have been requesting photos for it is for sale.

So Pee Wee, you have, a few times, made it obvious that the Internationals did not hold up to the abuses of the roads you were building. Which of the trucks did you prefer? Was one make better than the rest? Say someone had a 1962 and wanted to mate it up to a tow vehicle of the same era. Maybe like if it was a around the world trailer or a wantabe trailer for that caravan... what truck would you suggest?
Frank,

The Fords, Chevrolet's had no problems. I believe we might of had a Dodge, and even a GMC.

The basic vehicles did fine. In fact, the one Land Rover did a great job of towing.

The Chevy Scout and Mechanic trucks were great vehicles.

I mentioned earlier that we had no vehicle that looked like the fire engine IH, this is true. However, I believe we had an IH that looked like a Suburban Carryall, that was red. Definitely not the style as shown in the picture.

Pee Wee

Here is a song from one of the several skits that were played out at the Nile Hilton, at our celebration of the end of the road from Cape Town to Cairo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Songs from the Cairo Skit of the African Caravan_Page_1 cropped.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	77382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD 2008 - BOZEMAN RALLY (789).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	77386  

Name:	slide show 66 (179).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	77387  
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #73
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
keep em coming Pee Wee, I am on the edge of my seat. I am so looking forward to meeting you on Wed next week. You inspired me to get a blue beret and I know love wearing it. Also Wally's Bubble X251 is going to be here tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #74
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You must have a couple of rooms full of those great archives. Keep 'em coming, indeed. Love this stuff. I sure wish I could be at CBR too but alas, its too far and I don't have the time available to trek across the country.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
This truck is now for sale on eBay, where it is confirmed to be a replica of the truck originally used by Wally Byam on the caravan, not the real vehicle:
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Joe/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link to the current eBay auction:
eBay Motors: International Harvester (item 300306670076 end time Apr-15-09 18:33:49 PDT)
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
A Replica, Yes and No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
This truck is now for sale on eBay, where it is confirmed to be a replica of the truck originally used by Wally Byam on the caravan, not the real vehicle:
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Joe/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link to the current eBay auction:
eBay Motors: International Harvester (item 300306670076 end time Apr-15-09 18:33:49 PDT)
And it isn't true to the original. The color is wrong. And the door emblem is a creation of someone, but it never appeared in Africa. Most people know my fellings about the IH trucks used in Africa. I'm quite sure that if Wally had led additional Caravans, the IH would have been left off the roster.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #77
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Scout Truck Interior Layout

I couldn't help myself, I just had to work up a 3D layout of the interior of PeeWee's Advanced Scout truck based on a preliminary that he provided earlier. There was also a canvas bunk that hung from the walls and ceiling above the couch. I have no idea what the fabric covering on the couch looked like but had to put something on it. There was also a German-made Valiant water heater that hung on the cabinet above the burners.

Man, does this look cramped for two people on an extended trip that covered a large continent. How did you ever do it?

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 15.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	78258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 16.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	78259  

Name:	Picture 17.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	78260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 18.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	78261  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Home on the range, or there is no place like home, be it ever so humble.

Quote:
I couldn't help myself, I just had to work up a 3D layout of the interior of PeeWee's Advanced Scout truck based on a preliminary that he provided earlier. There was also a canvas bunk that hung from the walls and ceiling above the couch. I have no idea what the fabric covering on the couch looked like but had to put something on it. There was also a German-made Valiant water heater that hung on the cabinet above the burners.

Man, does this look cramped for two people on an extended trip that covered a large continent. How did you ever do it?

Brad
FF
Brad,

Wow!

The sinik was a smaller single sink.

The two burners were side by side.

The bunk bed was almost the same size as the bottom couch area. It was a rather large box with a mattress that hung by chains from the ceiling. Notice the window on the front of the living quarters. That provided the air for the top bunk when up. When down it was at an angle that gave the bottom portion a confortable seating. There was storage behind the top part, when down, to store our bedding. We used sleeping bags. There were no arm rests.

Don't go there. We didn't have to stand them (the sleeping bags) up in the corner with my black towels.

Above the stove was our instant water heater, and underneath the stove was our refer.

It is amazing to see "my 1959 - 1960" home come alive.

Brad you are great.

Pee Wee

We had roof lockers, I don't remeber their size. Every practical space had been utilized.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #79
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks PeeWee. I made a few adjustments based on your comments above. Are we getting close? Still can't imagine what it was like to have this as your home for that many months let alone sharing it with another person.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 19.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	78296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 20.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	78297  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Front Bed, Bunk and Seating

Brad,

There was no back to the bottom bed/sofa unless the bunk was lowered into place.

My sketch, you can tell I am an aimless line placer, may give you more info.

The box for the bunk was shallow enough to allow the cushion to stick over the edge. This overage allowed the bunk to make a more comfortable back for the sofa mode.

Both cushions were the same thickness.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0001Scout Truck Front Bed, Bunk and Seating.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	78325  

Tags