Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Keurig K-Express Essentials, $60 at Wal-Mart.

At 5 in the morning, I want coffee. Right. Meow.

The K-Express has one moving part, the "dispense coffee" button. More complicated than that, I can't manage. As a reformed coffee snob, I get it that the Keurig pods are not the greatest for the ne plus ultra coffee experience, but they are not bad. If I'm feeling fancy, I use Starbux House Blend, but normally it's Kirtland Medium Roast.

For steaks, we've tried all the grilles and can't find anything better than a cheap use-one-season grille and regular charcoal. Two ribeyes, medium rare. Open a bottle of Rodney Strong Cab. Dinner.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
For those who want to travel light, my "road kit" fits in a saddle bag.
I also use it everywhere, like motel rooms, tailgates, etc.
The kit:
Bodum electric kettle .7 litre
Bean grinder
Pour over cone #2 filters (no muss no fuss)
Zip lock for oatmeal
porcelain bowl, cup(s), flatware and other small implements.
For cooking, my fav is either the Coleman grill Stove w piezo lighter
or Char Broil Grill 2 Go.

For off shore power, a 1kw inverter to power the kettle and grinder (and charge phones, laptops etc...)
Alternate would be small percolator and campfire with pre-ground coffee.

Bare necessities. Goes everywhere, regardless (even in someone's house)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sacred Heart , Minnesota
Appliance I cook with (always have shore power)

1. Percolator coffee pot
2. Rice/vegetable steamer
3. Toaster
4. 3 qt crockpot
5. Hot plate to make tea outside so as not to heat up the interior
Granitefines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannetaylor View Post
Is there any reason I could not bring along and just plug in a small inexpensive microwave when I am on shore power? I only have a gas oven and wondering if it would blow fuses or anything?
This question is best answered by suggesting you find the ampere rating of the microwave you plan to buy and compare that to the 120 volt outlet you plan to use. The most common outlet will be rated at 15A and therefore the microwave you purchase should not require more than that.

Volts X Amps = Watts. So Watts divided by Volts should tell us that 1000 Watt microwave will work on a 15A outlet if no other 120 VAC electrical items are being operated simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #25
Mike Hughes

1960 22' Caravanner
Taylors , South Carolina
Portable Butane Stove, Microwave, Convection Oven

A butane stove of the type used by restaurants for cooking at the table is very useful. The Iwatani which I have is more powerful than my propane stove and regulates better as well. I wish the trailer stove worked as well. In addition to a backup if I run both tanks dry or have other problems with the propane system, it is ideal for car camping or cooking under the awning. The fuel is a bit pricey to use full time. Search Amazon for "butane stove" and you will find a pile of them from $25 up.

I consider a microwave mandatory. I made space to install a 0.7 cu. ft. unit from Walmart in my classic 22'. It will run on the inverter but the battery drain is horrendous and I would normally not use it without shore power. If you install in an enclosed space, you have to route the hot air exhaust out into the cabin to keep it from sucking its own exhaust back in and overheating.

A small convection oven with an air-frying capability is a really nice accessory for use on shore power. I don't have a regular oven but even if you do, the speed at which these things cook is amazing. The hard part is figuring out how to adjust recipes to suit. The smallest are cubes about 13" on a side and weigh less than 15 lbs. so they are easy to move around. I made space for it in the closet I converted to a pantry.

I see no reason to use anything other than regular kitchenware. I just select carefully. I would normally take a few items along for car camping.

Mike
marynya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #26
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Just purchased an Aerostream based on the comments in this thread and did a taste test versus our home Delonghi espresso machine - impressed with the result; not as good (obviously) but certainly acceptable.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Melita plastic pour over cone and a kettle for boiling water. Blackstone 18 inch griddle. Wire grill to use over campfire. If I decide I need all the comforts of home, I stay home.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #28
Need to use it more...

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Coffee!

We are big cappuccino fans. At home I have a (very) big Rancilio machine with a separate grinder. For smaller spaces we love Nespresso machines. The coffees are tremendous and they are easy to use. For our 23FB Flying Cloud we have a small machine. Closest thing today would be a Pixie. We also have a separate milk foamer. So we’’re like in Italy no matter where we are…
One note: this machine like all espresso machines does draw some electricity. If we’re on generators we turn the AC off for the moments we’re brewing.
ChuckieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
French Press for coffee all most all the time.

A Melita type filter cone with a valve at the bottom (I forget the name), so you can let the coffee steep. The valve opens when you put the device on top of a cup. We use this when long-term boondocking and water for clean up is at a premium.

Our older Nespresso for when we're plugged in and Sam wants one of her other coffees.

Again, I forget the name, but a stainless steel BBQ that fits in the rear storage. It's not quite as good as the Q we used to have, but the storage is worth the trade off.

A Zyliss Easy Pull food processor (manual!) that is so good we also use one at home too.

A Spiralizer for when we want zucchini pasta.

A Sous Vide
Old 05-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Coleman 12 cup stainless steel coffee pot. Its coffee while camping, not the Mars Rover mission.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #31
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Keurig for coffee, Coleman stove (50 years old) and a Weber smoky Joe.
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
For inside we have a blender, coffee grinder and Nespresso machine and a Dyson cordless vac.
Outside is a Q1200 and just added a Traeger Ranger.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
As for coffee....

We get our coffee from Kauai Coffee folks in HI. We love our coffee...visited 5 coffee plantations on the big island one year, learning about HI coffee, and got hooked...just so happens the Kauai coffee is also very good. At home we like percolated; the electric percolator does excellent job and does not overcook. We also us electric on the road, but sometimes when boondocking, we use the stovetop percolator...but you have to watch not longer than 6 minutes once it starts to perc or you can over cook. I use my single burner outside most of the time...nothing like fresh perked coffee! (Assuming you have good beans from HI!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Anyone using a pressure cooker while camping or at home? We use the Kuhn Rikno pressure cooker, made in Europe some where. Maybe Swizterland.
1590Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1590Denny View Post
Anyone using a pressure cooker while camping or at home? We use the Kuhn Rikno pressure cooker, made in Europe some where. Maybe Swizterland.
Yea, we have been using Instapot PC for 8 years now...have a 5 qt at home and a 3 qt in our AS...chicken dishes, pork dishes, beef dishes in 25 min max...best investment (besides our AS), IMHO...(and of course the coffee pot, bbq, fire pit, generator, etc!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
Wow, where do you store all that equipment?

I do almost all cooking outside. I have front bedroom floor plan specifically to allow my Alps table to be placed at the front, near the propane. I replaced the drawer under the curb-side dinette bench with one nearly twice as large with a secure latch for pans, lids, and the mandolin.

AeroPress, Yeti Tumbler
Stainless Stovetop Toaster
Assorted Swiss Diamond, Demeyere, And Black Cube Cookware, and an enamel pot from tent camping days for pasta
Magma Newport Gas Grill
Camp Chef Everest Two-Burner Stove
Alps Mountaineering 28x55 Table for the Grill and/or Stove
Hot Air Popcorn Popper
Thermapen One instant read thermometer

I started out carrying a Cobb grill but found it to be too much hassle for the road. I still use it at home occasionally. Some of the upgrades now available make it much easier to live with.

If we leave home with frozen food it’s been vacuum-packed.
could you tell more about your toaster? please.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
We full time in a fc19', so space is at a premium. We are tea drinkers, so a kettle is a must. Insist on drinking from my favorite stoneware cups. For appliances I have an air popcorn popper (too much draw for inverter); an electric orange juicer (for mimosas); a waffle maker; & a hand blender. We use corelle dishes. I have 2 frying pans (big & small), 3 nesting pots, real glassware (stemless wine & mimosa glasses). We have a mini Weber charcoal grill & a Coleman dual fuel stove - which sucks. They don't make them like they used to & looking to replace. I also have a mini iron & a tiny sewing machine for my crafts. Life is good!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #38
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
What appliances do you bring for cooking and coffee

Fossil5775

Old Classic Coleman stoves are out there. I like the ones with the tank fuel cap on the far left of the tank. Look at antique malls etc. and they can be serviced and fixed.

I have 2 425’s, 5 413’s the bigger case double burner and 1 426 triple.

Been percing coffee and a couple skillets of meals this week on a 413.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I'm curious if anyone's ever brought an air fryer. We've been using ours daily lately, and honestly, I've considered bringing it on longer trips.

Mostly though, we have a somewhat random selection of nesting camping cookware. At some point in time, I think I want to replace most of that with a good set of Magma cookware. We also have an old MSR steel tea kettle (pictured below) that I can't seem to find online anywhere. It's great, I've had it since college and love it.

We also bring along some combination of our Char-Broil Portable Grill2Go X200 Gas Grill (currently on sale, though it still seems more expensive than when we got it) and/or SoloStove Ranger (we have a variety of accessories including a griddle cooktop, but it's heavy so we often leave that behind).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	msr_alpteapot.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	416321  
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Latham , New York
I don’t think this one was mentioned yet:

An induction burner. I use it to maximize cooking outside.
WhatNext is offline   Reply With Quote