Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
turbocookerplus

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these.
Just put .com after the title to see the "as seen on T.V."
I watched the info mercial the other late nite. Looked like it was working as advertized.
I 'm just jones en for one. Complete chicken dinner in 1/2 hour on the stove top sounds good to me.

anyone?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I figured it was worth a google first. Of course there are a lot of retailer sites. But 7th down the page was a warning about some questionable financial practices - Rip-off Report: Turbo Cooker Plus; Chef Randall's Steam Frying System; Innotrac; As Seen On TV Beware of Turbo Cooker Plus Website! They charge your card if you close browser, then refuses to cancel order!! Sparks Nevada. Not to pass judgment on it as a product...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
We have had a turbo cooker for about 4 years and it's usually the only thing we cook with. It does not use oil, or if you prefer som oil, very little. It steams food well and cooks food fast.

You can buy them at KMart. They are great for use in the Airstream because you can cook one thing in the bottom while steaming something in the top at the same time.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Amazon reviews say some like it for functionality. Others hate the company for poor less than durable quality and poor customer service. Typical of most "as Seen on TV" products. Overpriced for what you get but of some use. Buy one at a garage sale for $5 next year. We like the American Harvest Convection oven that has a removable big glass bowl and uses no oil to roast chicken in 1/2 hr. The bowl can be cleaned in dishwasher or can be used as a sink to clean the other dishs.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
After following Doorgunner's saga of the propane fired campfire, you can imagine how disappointed I was with this thread. I was certain his turbo cooker would have something to do with a jet engine.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Bob; you know how to use google? imagine that! There's always someone not happy all the time, but why would you enter your credit card info and then close the browser? I don't even know what a browser is, some kinda peepin tom I suppose.

Steve; Sounds like the info I was looking for, now how about another view from someone that has this thing.

Dwight- I'm glad you like your convection thing, I'm looking for something that doesn't require a generator or mega expensive inverter and half a dozen batteries to operate.

Pat; Plans in motion for a 3 tier propane fire pit!

Anyone else using one of these?

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
A pressure cooker will do the same thing. We have used one for many years and when your camping up above 7,000' you'll appreciate the speed.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Just wondering if anyone has used one of these.
Just put .com after the title to see the "as seen on T.V."
I watched the info mercial the other late nite. Looked like it was working as advertized.
I 'm just jones en for one. Complete chicken dinner in 1/2 hour on the stove top sounds good to me.

anyone?
This lady has been pitching stuff on TV for years anything for a buck. It looks like a variation on a standard pressure cooker.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet I agree with Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
This lady has been pitching stuff on TV for years anything for a buck. It looks like a variation on a standard pressure cooker.
I got one of these Presto® 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker recently at Wal-Mart. I don’t remember the exact price, but it was less than 2 payments of $39.95—I want to say about $50-$60, no Shipping & Handling. It also came with the optional strainer lid. I also ordered the steamer basket, clear lid, and cookbook. It really makes a compact cooking system.

I got it to replace the old 4-quart aluminum model that is buried in storage. It is a quality product and the extra depth of the 6-quart model has proven handy. I serves as a deep stockpot too, something the “Turbo Wonder” would not do. Makes incredible pot roast, have some in the fridge right now. I have also steamed turkey breast with apple juice instead of water, excellent.

These are quality products built by an American company with a 103-year history (Presto®: Company History). They were classics before Airstreams. That means you can always get parts for them, too.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Doorgunner,

I have a turbocooker I bought several yrs ago. It does perform as advertised and has held up well.

I think it uses less propane since it cuts the cooking time. It is also easier than a pressure cooker when the items being cooked have different cooking times. For example- Chili and cornbread. The chili meat can be browned then the rest of the ingredients added. Let simmer about 10 mins. Then just lift the lid and place the steam rack in the cooker and place the pan of cornbread on it. Wait 10 mins and the chili and cornbread are both done to perfection.

Cakes come out light and moist. Cleanup is quick and easy.

Hope this helps, 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
fr8;

Thanks for the positive energy- I have a pressure cooker and this turbo thing has more features to my liking. Like watching a cake cook!! WOW ZA. And being able to easily add items as cooking progresses.

May the force be with you!

Peace and Prosperity in 09.

The auto mfgs have been pitchin their products for years on the tube- hey we're all salespeople aren't we?

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )