Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The Airstream Convection Oven

I have the MAS Model RV-200S-CON microwave convection oven in my 2019 Airstream FC26.
Not much in the way of practical recipes/methods/techniques for using this device, so thought I would give it a go.

Skinless chicken breast, about 8 oz, seasoned with Lawry's.

Reading the manual that came with the unit, I prepped the chicken, put it on the low rack and over the metal pan that came with the unit (for drippings).

Punched "Convection" and "Roast". Minimum weight that came on the display was 16 oz. I knew this would be overkill, but hit it anyway, and it started with a program time of 28 minutes.

I got back a cookie. Nicely browned, but very dried out. If there were another breast on the grill, it might have worked out, but cooking for one, you might interrupt the program time at 10 minutes and check with a thermometer.

No appreciable interior heat was added by running the unit for 28 minutes, and I saw no need to use the galley vent fan.

Nothing blew up or caught on fire, so will try it again. Please, if you have cooked using the convection oven, I'd like to hear about it.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We've started to experiment with the convection oven also. We did biscuits, dinner rolls, and cinnamon rolls. We found out that these recipes require 25 degrees less than the package says and run about the same time or more on the package,time.
Worked very well.

I believe the oven cooks hotter than expected and the temp should be lowered for most recipes. Also, make sure you use the turntable for your recipes.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Google convection toaster ovens on YouTube, with the air circulation of a convection oven most cook times are reduced if done at the same temp, depending on efficiency, around 25%
Old 11-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
I found the build-in micro-oven to be quite unsatisfactory when trying to actually "bake" something - at the suggestion of my sister I bought a Breville quick oven which does toasting - excellent baking - slow cooking - pizzas and more - we found it to be so good that we bought one for the house as well. Strongly recommend it
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I used the same approach with the convection oven in the AS as I did when I first starting using convection ovens at home. I reduced the temperature 25 degrees and cut the cooking time in half. Much easier to change the temperature and/or cooking time when the food hasn't been cooked beyond recognition. My first dish was mac n' cheese. The pasta was hard and desiccated and the cheese had cooked down to a yellow film barely covering the bottom of the dish.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Otis Orchards , Washington
My first try was brownies. Elevation was about 3000 feet. I knocked 5 minutes off the cooking time - perfectly cooked.
Wstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I have the MAS Model RV-200S-CON microwave convection oven in my 2019 Airstream FC26.
Not much in the way of practical recipes/methods/techniques for using this device, so thought I would give it a go.

Skinless chicken breast, about 8 oz, seasoned with Lawry's.

Reading the manual that came with the unit, I prepped the chicken, put it on the low rack and over the metal pan that came with the unit (for drippings).

Punched "Convection" and "Roast". Minimum weight that came on the display was 16 oz. I knew this would be overkill, but hit it anyway, and it started with a program time of 28 minutes.

I got back a cookie. Nicely browned, but very dried out. If there were another breast on the grill, it might have worked out, but cooking for one, you might interrupt the program time at 10 minutes and check with a thermometer.

No appreciable interior heat was added by running the unit for 28 minutes, and I saw no need to use the galley vent fan.

Nothing blew up or caught on fire, so will try it again. Please, if you have cooked using the convection oven, I'd like to hear about it.

Hi, Congrats on your new convection oven!

We’ve had two Airstream’s with propane ovens and enjoyed them. Now we have the convection/microwave and really enjoy this add’l option as well. As with anything new it takes a little practice but it won’t take long to master. At first I experimented with things like frozen homemade lasagna that I bake at 325 for 55 mins to an hour covered w foil. Time is usually about the same as with a propane oven but since the convection oven heats the air inside the oven while also moving air around food the temp should be lowered. If you usually bake or roast something at 350 then you will lower to 325 for convection cooking.

Sometimes when cooking meat and poultry, depending on weight and quantity, I will reduce the time by 25%. I always check internal temp before finished so not to dry out the food. Here is the rule I work with: If chicken should be cooked at 350°F for 1 hour/30 minutes (90 mins) reduce cook time by .25 which is about 1 hr/8 mins instead of the full 1 hour/30 mins . You can always add more time and the “add minute” feature is great for this.

Years ago a wonderful lady; expert in convection cooking, shared the time/temp rule and suggested using lighter cookware instead of dark pans. I wish I could recall her name. She is absolutely brilliant and lovely!

I wholeheartedly agree with your mention that “No appreciable interior heat was added by running the unit for 28 minutes, and I saw no need to use the galley vent fan.”

Another unexpected perk to the convection oven is how quickly we can bake a batch of chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies to have a warm, fresh baked snack in the TV on moving days (w made ahead or store bought dough). No need to preheat or wait for an oven to cool down before leaving.

Now, with all that said, we also carry a propane grill to use when boondocking/no hookups and a slow cooker for days when we are out exploring. The convection/microwave option eliminates the need for two separate indoor appliances. It’s really great to have an arsenal of cooking options for all types of Airstreaming.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
I found the build-in micro-oven to be quite unsatisfactory when trying to actually "bake" something - at the suggestion of my sister I bought a Breville quick oven which does toasting - excellent baking - slow cooking - pizzas and more - we found it to be so good that we bought one for the house as well. Strongly recommend it
The Breville is rated at 1800W. Do you have this on a standard 15 amp circuit or on a 20 amp circuit in the AS?

Thanks
tberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Fantastic results from AS convection / microwave AND my chef / DW. She often has goodies freshly baked / cooked for fellow campers almost before I have us completely set up! Yummy brownies, cookies, cup cakes, muffins, etc. ... the roasted meat is only for the two of us, however.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Turntable Off?

I have the MAS convection microwave model RV-200S-CON. Is there a way to turn off the turntable so I can use larger pans in the oven?
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters View Post
I have the MAS convection microwave model RV-200S-CON. Is there a way to turn off the turntable so I can use larger pans in the oven?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-208135-2.html

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 03-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters View Post

Oops, I quoted an old post. If this is your oven maybe this will answer your question

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-208135-2.html