Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thumbs up Pressure cooker shines again

I have been a fan of pressure cookers for a couple years, but until now have limited myself to bean meals and roast. I decided to try and cook these pork ribs that look like pork chops this evening using the thing. I put between half and three quarter cup of water in the cooker, tossed in the ribs, and let her run for ten minutes at pressure and then sit another five before bleeding off the steam. I then tossed in some BBQ sauce and covered.

Meanwhile, I made my world famous western beans (black beans, corn, Ro-tel, and chopped onions) on the stove to heat up. Pulled some rye bread out, and mixed fruit for desert.

It was TASTY! The only thing I would do differently in the future would be to drain off more of the water than I did before putting in the BBQ.

When it was first suggested to me that a pressure cooker was a great camping device, I was skeptical. Now I can not imagine being without one. Anyone else have great pressure cooker meals?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'll be over around 8.

The black bean stuff sounds like you could serve it cold and call it cowboy caviar!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I quite often do chicken and yellow rice in mine. I can cook a whole chicken off the bone in around 30 minutes, rice cooks in 3 or 4 So for ~45 minutes of total cook time I can have a nice fresh chicken and rice dinner. I have several pressure cookers and would not be without one. Somewhere on the WWW there is a website with over 1,000 recipes for pressure cookers, one for slow cookers too, my other favorite method of cooking.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Pressure Coolers are Great!

Hi Rodney,

I wouldn't be without one now. Even though it is a roast, I am doing it this weekend. One of the local stores had eye of round roast for $1.99 a pound, so it was too good to pass up.

For one of my favorite other recipes, turkey breast, see post #6 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ner-43781.html a good thread in its own right.

Using apple juice also works well for pork. I like to brine pork in apple juice with salt and sugar, then use more apple juice for the liquid while pressure cooking.

I getting hungry just thinking about it.

Also, take a look at post #18 for Larry's pressure cooker recipe and tips.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We wouldn't be without one too. Apple juice for pork is a great idea. They go great together. I wait till Chuck roasts go on sale, my favorite.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I've just recently replaced all my odds and ends cookware in the trailer with a nifty camping set to save on space and weight. On impulse I also got the pressure cooker - and really have no idea what to do with it, having never used one before. Also, it's a bit smaller than a conventional cooker, so I'm hesitant to use standard recipes until I've become a bit more accustomed to cooking times and whatnot.

If anyone wants to post their favourite recipes for their pressure cooker, I'm all ears!

Cheers
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I've just recently replaced all my odds and ends cookware in the trailer with a nifty camping set to save on space and weight. On impulse I also got the pressure cooker - and really have no idea what to do with it, having never used one before. Also, it's a bit smaller than a conventional cooker, so I'm hesitant to use standard recipes until I've become a bit more accustomed to cooking times and whatnot.

If anyone wants to post their favourite recipes for their pressure cooker, I'm all ears!

Cheers
Ours came with intructions and recipes.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post

Cheers
Same way you cook in the larger ones, just less stuff in it. I have a 1 liter one and the cooking times are pretty much the same, it just runs up to pressure faster than the larger one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote