Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
pickled bologna, and then some

Years ago I was introduced to Pickled Bologna when visiting friends in Kentucky. I was horrified at first, but then agreed that it is a good accompaniement to beer. Course, that may have been after more consumption of brew than I care to admit...

I wanted a *unique* item to bring to our 2nd Annual Non-Traditional Thanksgiving camp-out and instantly thought of Pickled Bologna. I tried to order it on-line, but got all wrapped around the axle for some reason. Next, I figured I could make my own. Found the ring bologna (BoarsHead) at the grocer and a few recipes on the web. It's now been sitting in the vinegar & spices for about 10 days. Nuthin. It doesn't seem to be soaking into the bologna - rather just at the ends. And the piece I tasted does not bring back memories of the stuff from KY. I thought about peeling the skin (???) off the bologna. My friends say theirs comes with the skin on. Any ideas????? Maybe it just takes years of pickling...

And, as I was looking for the bologna recipe, I kept getting info on Pickled Eggs. Blech. That thought always turned my stomach but, post-after- post-after-post remarked on how good they are with beer. So, I have a container of those pickling too. Using balsamic vinegar. Nice poo brown color - making the thought of them all the more appetizing! And adding to the known effect of eggs ---- gassy.

Maybe none will be consumed anyway - but it's a conversation starter. Usually with a grimmace on the face.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can find them at Amazon. If you Google you will see tons of recipes and about the 7th listing will be Amazon.com listing 2 jars for sale.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Just a thought but this is how they do it in Sugar Valley.........

1 cup vinigar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tea spoon salt
1-2 table spoons pickling spices
1 ring bologna

Mix all but the bologna in a pan and bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes.

cut bologna in to chuncks and put into a big glass jar.

Pour the liquid over once it has cooled and put a lid on it and put it in the refrigerator.

You can it it after a few days but the longer you let it sit the better it gets.

I havE also added onions and peppers to it.

mmmmmmmmmmm .....good luck....Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You ought to go to Newfoundland. They love bologna there. We saw on a menu mixed grill and one of the meats was bologna.

Personally, I hate bologna. My mother sent me to school for years with a bologna sandwich, day after day, week after week…. She also used to make "salads" that were cucumbers only. I hate cucumbers. Sometimes we'd have canned beets as a vegetable. They were awful. If you want to torture me, make me eat those things. Ugh! She also used to tell me, over and over, what a great cook she was. Mothers are not perfect.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sounds like SPAM to me!!!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Makes me think of stories I hear from relatives in New Brunswick - they sure do love their bologna there as well. My mother said that rich kids had bologna sandwiches for lunch; poor kids had lobster...

Either way, I have to admit I like fried bologna sandwiches. Never heard of pickling the stuff though - sounds interesting!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I have to admit I like fried bologna sandwiches.

I remember eating fried bologna sandwiches on white bread when I was a kid.

The bread would get soft and stick to the roof of your mouth. Good Eats!!!

We'd never heard of pickled bologna until we went to Springstream 09. Never had it but I'd give it a go.

Sort of like fried dill pickles. Sounds weird until you've tried them.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Jeez, I thought I was the only one. I was weaned on pickled bologna. The best in the country (and I have tried most of them) is Koegels meats in Flint, MI.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Just a thought but this is how they do it in Sugar Valley.........

1 cup vinigar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tea spoon salt
1-2 table spoons pickling spices
1 ring bologna

Mix all but the bologna in a pan and bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes.

cut bologna in to chuncks and put into a big glass jar.

Pour the liquid over once it has cooled and put a lid on it and put it in the refrigerator.

You can it it after a few days but the longer you let it sit the better it gets.

I havE also added onions and peppers to it.

mmmmmmmmmmm .....good luck....Dennis
Ohhhh. That has a lot more sugar than I put in. Maybe I'll add some tonight. Certainly can't hurt.

I went ahead and ordered a jar. Not the kind from Amazon - because it said HOT pickled bologna. Can hardly wait for it to make it to my door step.

So, how 'bout pickled eggs? Anyone like those?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

Laura
I do ..don't know about making my own though. Sort of a special treat when your hungry and out on the trail. I don't think I would have ever tried them if I wasn't starving at the time...now they have become kind of a tradition for me. Pickled Bologna would come under the same catagory.....Must be starving to try.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Most of those ingredients are the same for cole slaw. Vinegar,sugar,salt,pepper. When your LDL numbers go through the roof , think about switching. No bologna !
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

Laura
Being from the deep south, I grew up eating pickled eggs. I suppose it's an acquired taste. Most commercially available ones are pickled with a mixture of vinegar and beet juice, not just vinegar. I tried making my own a few years ago with plain white vinegar only to find them digusting. If you want to try them, I suggest buying some off the shelf and avoid making your own. Penrose is probably the most popular brand. They can usually be found right next to the pickled pigs' feet. (Now there's a pickled product I could never bring myself to try )
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We were at Mi Tierra in San Antonio and they have pickled jalapeños. If I had known they were pickled, I probably wouldn't have tried them, but they were good. Prior to that my opinion had been the only thing that should be pickled are pickles.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pickled Egg Recipe

It's a beer thing too. My stepfather had a very simple recipe but it was all done by "eye" without exact measurements

Hard boil 1 dozen eggs and remove shells
it's better to use medium rather than large or ex-large eggs.

Open one can of beets

Drain the juice in a small sauce pan, add sugar (1/2 to 1 cup) and apple cidar vinegar to taste (1/2 to 1 cup) - add about a dozen whole cloves and some peppercorns if desired, and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes - just make sure all the sugar is dissolved.

Put the eggs and beets into a large glass jar mixing them up so that you can later access either easily, then pour in the pickling mixture. Allow to cool slightly, then screw on the lid and put in the back of the refrigerator for at least 4 days. (You can leave the thing on the counter for a faster cure, but the eggs emanate sulpher that way.)

Paula