Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
We are just down the road from you in Little Apple and drove down to the dealer in. Fort Worth and they had most models in stock. They are inside and the build has AC. Great staff and ran off the salesman and sat in the ones we were interested in long enough to determine if we like it or not.
I have been to Hershey and its a wonderful show but just hard to just to sit and get a feel of the RV with 20 people in the RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownMike View Post
Thanks Bob. I have been to a few dealers but only to walk through a few models. I agree I need to do more of a deep dive. I'm going to try to do that at Hershey but it will be hard given that it is a RV show. Hopefully I can figure it out. It can be tough as most dealers don't have every model I am considering.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bennington , Nebraska
Thanks for the advice on Dallas. I will have to look into that. I am from Chicago but live in Overland Park KS so Dallas is a doable drive or a short plane trip. It’s hard looking at them when the weather doesn’t cooperate so knowing that they have an indoor showroom is very helpful.
ChitownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I have been to a few dealers but only to walk through a few models. I agree I need to do more of a deep dive. I'm going to try to do that at Hershey but it will be hard given that it is a RV show. Hopefully I can figure it out. It can be tough as most dealers don't have every model I am considering.
Hi

Hershey is a zoo. Like a zoo it's a lot of fun. It is not the place to spend a lot of time in an RV by yourself. You can see everything, it's the deep dive, sit there for an hour, try this, try that part that is missing.

Find a dealer that has inventory and is rational. Spend a weekday on the lot. If they want to be with you all the time and 10 minutes is the max ... find another dealer. ( ....hint .... hint ... Colonial ... hint ...) There are a number of them that are willing to let you spend time looking.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Hopefully I can figure it out. It can be tough as most dealers don't have every model I am considering.
Take your time, the search is also satisfying!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Might I suggest trying it it the Weber Q 2200. You can grill, sear, bake, smoke, and griddle on it. Here is a little album of things I’ve cooked. https://imgur.com/gallery/1koTUpG

I’ve also smoked ribs. It wouldn’t work for a Boston butt or brisket, but it’s amazing the food it can turn out.
BoilerRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Hershey is a zoo. Like a zoo it's a lot of fun. It is not the place to spend a lot of time in an RV by yourself. You can see everything, it's the deep dive, sit there for an hour, try this, try that part that is missing.

Find a dealer that has inventory and is rational. Spend a weekday on the lot. If they want to be with you all the time and 10 minutes is the max ... find another dealer. ( ....hint .... hint ... Colonial ... hint ...) There are a number of them that are willing to let you spend time looking.

Bob
I concur with UB; we have spent many "hours" in new AS's over the years, in addition to owning 3 25's and now the 28'. We still find ourselves checking out and sitting in the new models comparing everything from quality of new upgraded models (Tommy Bahama, Globetrotter, Classic) features/seating cushions, storage (inside and outside). We found purchasing slightly used is a good way to start out...this allows you to get some quality camping time and see if that's the model for you...if not, you can always enjoy it still while camping. Assuming your diligent on pricing of purchase, your likely not to loose much if any on a resale assuming your not keeping it more then a year or so...that's how we started out. Even then, we purchased a new 2014 FC model, used it 2 years, and sold it for what we paid plus a little more! We ended up moving up from the 25' twin to the 28' as DW wanted the separate seating area for dinning and couch for TV lounging....but then we needed a larger TV also, so good to consider all these things as best you can. Until you actually spend some time camping in one a few times, it's difficult to anticipate what works for you. As for purchasing in TX....if you can find a dealer that is willing to offer a discount beyond 20%, that would be great. We could not...we ended up purchasing our last 2 new AS's in CA! good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
A Vote for a Pellet Smoker

I had a Pit Boss 820 pellet smoker that I used at home, but it was way too big and heavy to take on the road. So, after much research I decided to purchase the Camp Chef Pursuit 20... which is their "portable" smoker. Granted it is a "little" heavy at around 90 lb., but I wanted something that would hold up to the traveling (liked the construction), size of the pellet bin, ease of cleaning and dumping the ashes (removable ash cup). I have a camper shell on the back of my 2015 Chevy 2500HD with a slide out drawer. I have figured out how to load and unload the smoker by myself (I am no Superman at 69 YO), but I make it work. I like the size... Tuesday I smoked 2 large racks of Baby Back ribs. The temperature is pretty consistent... really like how the controller functions better than the Pit Boss.Turned out GREAT! Yesterday I did 3 Hasselback baked potatoes, 3 large ears of corn on the cob and 3-1lb. bone-in rib-eye steaks. There is a slide mechanism to move the cover over the burn pot to expose the flame so you can use the smoker like a traditional BBQ grill. My go-to pellets are the red oak from "Q" Pellets. There are no chemical binders or "flavor enhancers", so you get a true smokiness. You can order on Amazon or directly from their website. I have a purveyor of wood for smoking in Southern California I use when I am in the area...saves on shipping. Bought 4-40lb. bags I am hoping will last until I get back to Arizona in November. Red oak is a hotter burning/milder/sweeter smoke that produces less ash and usually most people do not use a bbq sauce to cut the stronger, somewhat bitter smoke of mesquite or hickory. My backup pellet is the Competition Blend from Pit Boss (maple, hickory and cherry wood blend). I have found quite a few WalMarts already stock it or you can order it online ($29.99/40lbs.) and have it delivered to a local store for you to pick up with FREE shipping. Propane, charcoal and especially ovens, can't produce a flavor that even comes close to "low and slow". Hope this helps.
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I enjoyed my Camp Chef two-burner Explorer stove and griddle. There are other options you can buy to put on top for baking pizzas, etc.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #29

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Traeger

We have the Traeger scouts grill, weighs in at 45 pounds and plugs in so we don’t have to worry about propane. Great pellet Grill, food comes out moist and tasty and hard to mess up. We love it. Even with my bad back, it’s not bad getting in and out of the truck bed.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
We got an Aussie LP grill with folding stand as an inducement to buy our first SOB RV. Dumped that RV for an Airstream. Kept the Aussie grill. Works great and is fairly inexpensive. Stows well and is light weight. Has metal lunchbox latches to keep it together. https://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Outdoo...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

We also carry a Coleman dual fuel picnic table cook stove. We try to avoid a lot of cooking inside our 22FB so we don't get reminded of what we cooked the night before. We really do believe in camping out and cooking outside as much as possible.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
We have a Bambi 16 with rear trunk and we are considering the purchase of the Traeger Scout. Like you we live in Minnesota. Our trailer is in storage. This leads to my question:

Will the Traeger Scout go into the Bambi Trunk through the rear door? (Otherwise I need to wait til spring to find out.)
jdm-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm-mn View Post
Will the Traeger Scout go into the Bambi Trunk through the rear door? (Otherwise I need to wait til spring to find out.)
Before you do decide, make sure to check out the GMG's, Green Mountain Grills. We have two, the one in the photos, then a big one at home. We have the pizza attachment for both....OMG, awesome pizza, great smokers, great grills. If you can find the room, I would not hesitate to get one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2gmg.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	388956

Sorry about the sideways picture, it did it and I can't fix it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1gmg.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	388960  
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
Do you know if it will go thru the trunk door?

We are used to camping light and I am trying to be careful not to have too much stuff. I looked at the Volcano as well. The pellets seemed to offer quick heat of the propane and wood fire like charcoal. That's my thinking anyway. I will check out Green Mountain. we generally camp without 120V power.

I looked and I think the Green Mountain grill is too big to add to our collection of stuff. Looks like a great product though.
jdm-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
As I continue to do research on buying my first Airstream, I have now stumbled onto food prep options. I was leaning towards a standard microwave with a propane oven as my wife and I have never really used our convection oven at home. Though are now considering passing on the propane oven in favor or using a pellet smoker in order to get the extra storage. Traeger appears to have two good options in both the Ranger and Scout. You can also get an inverter to run it off your car battery for dry camping. I have a regular Traeger at home and love it. I’ve used it for the usual stuff like ribs and chicken but have also made things like garlic bread, corn on the cob, and chocolate chip cookies. Has anyone gone down this path when camping? I would love to hear your thoughts.
It depends on the choice of Airstream model you are buying and the Tow Vehicle (TV) you will use to tow... Each model has cargo weight limit and the TV's payload has weight limit as well.

I travel light and still have small dead weight (stuff that I did not use while camping). I have a small propane grill "NexGrill" from Costco which is similar to the Webber Q1000 which are not too heavy. I cooked 2 slabs of ribs at low heat for a couple hours. I try to carry what I will use.

You can even take out oven for a microwave inside your Airstream if you want.

Also you do not need to use car battery to run your Smoker unless you are boondocking. All Airstream models have an external electric reception to plug in anything or get a dedicated electric cord from power source to your smoker at full hookups. this is when you camp with full hook-ups.

others will chime in with more posts...

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
Before you do decide, make sure to check out the GMG's, Green Mountain Grills. We have two, the one in the photos, then a big one at home. We have the pizza attachment for both....OMG, awesome pizza, great smokers, great grills. If you can find the room, I would not hesitate to get one.

Attachment 388956

Sorry about the sideways picture, it did it and I can't fix it
I have that same GMG Davey Crocket smoker. IMHO, it is clumsy to move around using those handles and a bit heavy also. Will not fit in the any AS compartment, except perhaps inside; I used in my truck bed, but again, clumsy and heavy! I also have used the Trager, Green Egg (my favorite), and several Brinkman and manual smokers...not sure there is a "good, light weight" smoker out there for camping. Don't get me wrong; the features of the GMG (remote wifi control, automatic heat/meat control, etc.) are very nice, but also available on other smokers today.

I carry the O-Grill for quick grilling and also carry a Volcano (charcoal model) which I use for my steaks, tri-tips, and chops. I also have a 2 burner Coleman Road Trip folding grill for larger parties when camping with the family...but my go to is the O-grill and Volcano. You can get a smoking tube to use with your bbq grill that works pretty good with chips or pellets...Amazon.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Davy Crockett here too. It is heavy and clumsy to move. I replaced the two of the four spring like feet opposite the metal on the side with wheels. Now I can roll it on pavement short distances. Hefting into the truck bed its best to cover it with a towel to avoid getting a mess on my clothes.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #37

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
The Davy Crockett fits nicely in the big Dewalt rolling tool box at HD. Weather tight and lockable. It also allows me to stack other boxes on top when in the camper shell.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote