Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I would also like to know how others stow there kitchens. I have been reading Wally's book, but the information is a little dated.
Since Lori and I do not drink any "adult beverages" we should have a little more room to work with.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
We are leaving on our maiden voyage this coming Thursday and I was wondering also about wine glasses, I can't stand the thought of drinking wine but my lovely wife likes a glass of wine at night. I think I will go out and by some new tube socks :-) I liked the idea of throwing it the whole thing away if it breaks.
I wonder how organized we will be on this first trip. 8-10 days away ...... We can't wait til Thursday gets here.

roy
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
i will briefly depart from wine consumption to say that i pre-freeze what i can, as i dont have the liberty to start up my reefer prior to departure. large joints of meat(like a ham dude..) are placed in the bottom of the reefer to pre-defrost and maintain refrigerated items while the reefer attempts to reach operating temperature....i use my wine for cooking, and i dont have to worry about my aluminium receptacles breaking..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
spice bottles

we found these nifty containers at the craft store - they save loads of room if you carry many spices. They screw togehter and are about 7 inches tall when assembled - they come in several sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spice bottlers web.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	12327  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
More missguided ideas on my part...

I will be moving into my Trade Wind at the beginning of March and expect it to be my home at least a couple months, maybe until fall. This use will be different than my short trip usage last year (new years messes me up) where two weeks was the long trip for me. Accordingly, I am trying to anticipate long term issues with the kitchen and what not. To this point I have relied on a very basic kitchen setup, but I am considering some extras. So my question is this, does anybody here carry things like bread makers and crockpots along with them? If so how does it work out? I also have a rotisserie that Im thinking could live in my pickup when not in use….Anyway your thoughts are appreciated.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We keep a crock pot with us as well as a blender. They do not take up much foom and come in handy more often that one would think. The rotisserie sounds like a cool idea!

Good luck on your extended stay in the Trade Wind!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Ideal wine bottle storage...

In our new Safari 25FB there is a cabinet directly below the refrigerator that holds a case of Two-Buck Chuck Cabernet Sauvignon, the best of the six offerings of the world-famous Charles Shaw Winery.

Perhaps other models have this same cabinet, too. I am trying to find the best way of securing the bottles upright when the cabinet is less than full, a fairly common occurance at the rate that we drink this fine wine. Perhaps a series of Velcro loops attached to the back of the cabinet will do the trick.

Our "crystal" wine glasses are suitably thin plastic glasses found at party stores packaged by the dozens. Quick, easy, disposable, and clear enough to appreciate the color of the wine. These are the conical shaped kind with flat bottoms and a low center of gravity so that nothing of the nectar of the grape spills.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #28
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
We like to drink our wine out of real wine glasses. Plastic was OK went roughing it with a backpack. And before that glasses weren’t necessary. However, today things are different.
Since I like to make sawdust and do a little woodworking, I made a box that holds the glasses securely. For the top and base of the box, drill or cut out circles just the right size to fit the top and bottom of the each wine glass. One could use Styrofoam, but wood is organic and the IN thing nowadays.
Another item: You know how we all have old computers we can’t part with? Well, I gutted the inside of an old 1980s Macintosh computer case, and built compartments to hold my sprits. I guess that project qualifies as ergonomic recycling. Just boot it up, run the dynastic test and enjoy.
And it fits in the cabinet over the microwave.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Rodney,,, with the very tight and limited storage in my 16 foot bambi,,,also it has no oven,,, the rotisserie, toaster oven/broiler which i plug in at the dinette table works great. bakes, roasts,, and does a mean chicken, pork loin or small roast. you will be glad that you brought it along. it is stored in my under the bed storage container, which works out fine. large pots and pans go under too,,,, great fun,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi all

funny how many of us drink box wine.
it's great stuff. i do also like to gather grape from local winos....i mean wineries' too, so i end up with a few bottles while traveling. the bottles fit nicely in the liquor cabinet that roadkingmoe has airstream build into the long trailers.... i put a cozy or sock over the bottles and interlace them with plastic gatorade jugs...no breaks so far.

the lexan goblets are great but i like glass too. since i'm short and stemless, i like to drink my wine from regular short water glasses like often served in bistros...these glasses are pretty bullet proof resturant style...duralex-lumarec, made in france is my favorite brand. i also have grown fond of sipping wine from a coffee mug (airsteam) whenever out of doors in a dry zone....

since i haul a gas grill in the truck the rotisseries seems redundant, but i do carry a large stainless pressure cooker.....this will do stews, spuds, roast, birds and so on quickly and makes better use of the lpgas. comes in handy boondocking when not grilling outdoors and also serves as a big pot...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duralex glass.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	17394  
Attached Images

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Talking What's a Lexan? A native of the state of Lexus?

Sometimes when I listen to 2air' I think I'm hearing my echo. Duralex? Exactly! Especially this style: http://www.villagekitchen.com/mfg/bo.../picardie.html

We keep some of the perforated non-skid mats clean and use them to snake around glassware in drawers.

But box wine? Quelle horreur! I will bring bottles and all readers have a certain appreciation of items silver .... check out http://www.campmor.com, item #82068 -- only set you back $5.99 each. They are light, elegant, durable and need neither Walbernize nor Nuvite!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GSI SS 6oz Wine Goblet, Campmor 82068.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	17395  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
That makes three of us for Duralex. Our favorite glasses at home are the 6.5 oz and the 16 oz Picardie. Very classy, but a bit heavy to tow don't you think?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #33
_

. , .
what can i say canoe stream....... mediocere minds think alike!!

the 'picardie style' is what i like too, i just couldn't locate a pic.

the 2 smaller sizes fit inside each other with a non skid wrap between them. and they do work well for wine or single malt...

silver huh?
i don't have those, but i do like to carry a pewter mug for beer sipping!

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

the lexan goblets are great but i like glass too. since i'm short and stemless, i like to drink my wine from regular short water glasses like often served in bistros...these glasses are pretty bullet proof resturant style...duralex-lumarec, made in france is my favorite brand. i also have grown fond of sipping wine from a coffee mug (airsteam) whenever out of doors in a dry zone....
so whats wrong with glasses that came with grape jelly inside them?....after all, arent you streamers into vintage?....hmmmm?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
so whats wrong with glasses that came with grape jelly inside them?....after all, arent you streamers into vintage?....hmmmm?
norby
Too Funny, we have a set of jelly jars! perfect for red wine
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #36
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Safe transportation of adult beverages/suitable containers

Well the last time we were camping down south these nice fellas came by they had some milk jugs in the trunk of their vintage tv they were sellin this tasty liquor at a real good price, and we used these vintage containers to sip outta... Those fellas sure are creative and economical too! Look at the way they save money on manufacturing and packaging?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whitelight.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	17403   Click image for larger version

Name:	moonshinestill.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	17404  

Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #37
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
JStanley -
You got a picture of this Macintosh wine bottle holder? Sounds like one of the better uses of an old Mac. I've heard of folks putting a fish tank in the old Classics but a wine bottle holder is something new.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
......but i do carry a large stainless pressure cooker.....this will do stews, spuds, roast, birds and so on quickly and makes better use of the lpgas. comes in handy boondocking when not grilling outdoors and also serves as a big pot...

cheers
2air'
Anybody else use a pressure cooker for this? How does it work out? Being a boondocker at heart I like the idea. But I wonder, when using a pressure cooker, how much pressure do you want, and for how long, and do you have to stir? Are recipies readily available?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Anybody else use a pressure cooker for this? How does it work out? Being a boondocker at heart I like the idea. But I wonder, when using a pressure cooker, how much pressure do you want, and for how long, and do you have to stir? Are recipies readily available?
i still use moms 50 year old presto...new ones are available, and reciepts are available. its just a tool of convenience that has been supplanted by the microwave. if you can use a light meter, you can use a pressure cooker.....
norby

Old 01-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks to Road King Moe

.... and to get this thread back on track a wee bit. I reread RoadKingMoe's list of all lists and one item caught my eye this time - nesting pots & pans from Camping World. In a 22ft CCD, you definitely don't have a lot of left over space, and what I currently have in the way of pans doesn't include a decent skillet or a big soup/lobster/spaghetti pot.

Well I've been looking on QVC, in the stores etc, but never spotted anything that made sense to me, but after looking at the Camping World website I decided to order. I'm eagerly waiting their delivery. The reports on them were all good, so hopefully it will work well. There are two detatchable handles shared among 5 pans, collander lids and extra plastic lids so you can actually store the food in the same container it was cooked in.

The closest Camping World store is in Manassas VA; less than 200 miles from here but I chose to order online. Too much temptation if I went there personally

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote