Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnooMc View Post
TLR Should I think about swapping the oven and microwave for a convection combo?

We've only been on the road a few months, but I'm finding I barely use the gas oven. It doesn't seem to heat up unless I set the temp for 450 or higher, and takes forever to get to any usable temp. I feel like it's just sucking down propane while not really doing a great job (I've got a pizza stone in there; doesn't seem to help.) I've started using it for storage.
Also, I rarely use the microwave - popcorn, reheating, and melting butter. I've got an instant pot and a tiny toaster oven, which, with the stovetop, are the things that get used most often. We wanted the gas oven for boondocking, but I'm not sure I would use it then if I'm not using it now.
I don't like cooking outside, really (heck, I don't really like cooking), so I'm just looking for the best indoor option and wondering if anyone has gone from oven/mic to convection combo and how it's worked out.

First let me say good luck with whichever option you go with. And that’s exactly the point here...there are many options so if any option were out of the equation there are plenty of other great cooking options.

Our first two Airstreams had the gas ovens & microwave and I used them both often. I happen to enjoy cooking; it’s my calming science. Our current and smallest Airstream has the micro/convection combo. I’ll admit even for a seasoned cook it had a bit of a learning curve but now that I’ve mastered it I use the convection almost as much as I used the previous gas ovens. We also carry a slow cooker, electric griddle, tiny rice cooker (that makes the best cakes, yep cakes and veggies, etc) and an outdoor camp stove/grill with a griddle plate attachment that do not require electricity so we can use that inside or outside when boondocking. A bag of charcoal is handy when boondocking too although I see you said you don’t care to cook outdoors. Of course there are many recipes that can be adapted for indoor propane stovetop meals too,
get creative. 😉

Friends and family tease that we eat better on the road with a small limited kitchen than most of them do at home. It’s kind of a mind set on making it work and then conquering the challenge. No regrets on switching to the micro/convection set up about 5 years ago.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I think what would work best is to change out the gas oven for the microwave convection combo, and then a two-burner stove top. However, the chances of this happening anytime soon are remote, so I'll do some testing with the oven and see if I can figure out the temp issues.
I can't remember the last time I baked a cake, or even cookies...we mostly used our house oven for bacon
Old 03-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
rancho murieta , California
Storage in place of oven

Removed oven because we never use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	421FE482-C429-4BF4-A8BB-62FCA6D5E3D4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	362910   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E33D408-7C94-40B8-92C1-5F8B1D96F394.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	362911  

markj10821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #24
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we use our oven enough to miss it, although it is a little fickle on even baking, requiring me to rotate whatever I have in there. I have a temperature sensor I use when I bake and the oven is pretty much spot on for setting and actual temp produced. One idea that I think makes good sense is a two burner stove top, would be a lot more user friendly. Our Airstream came with a convection/micro wave oven, it shot craps, plus we never could figure out how to use it, replaced it with a conventional microwave
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
The 3 most wasted space and weight in our FC25RB twin is the MICRO/CONV, 2 TV's and the A/C. We keep the A/C in case we really needed it. We ditched the Micro and the rear TV. My wife uses the front TV as a monitor for her laptop. We mostly dry camp so these heavy electric appliances are for us, useless. We don't use them even when we have hook ups. Gained back some space from the MICRO and lost the weight. Rarely use the stove, but it does work.

Love the idea of replacing the useless 3 burner with a quality 2 burner and maybe ditch the stove too.

Make your trailer what you need, not what Airstream wanted to build, just seems like common sense to me.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Markj, I am insanely jealous of that setup.
JoeD - making your Airstream your own is my thought too. I do wish they would let us build one from the ground up!
Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
I am sorry that our old 1989 Excella is in the shop for roof sealing since we just updated the original kitchen as part of our restoration. Otherwise, I would go take some pictures; but, here's the story. I never bake when we are traveling and have not used the gas oven in our past 3 trailers. So, as part of the restoration of the original oak cabinetry, we removed the sink/cabinet base and took it to our local cabinet maker. He made 3 large matching drawers for the oven space and that doubles my under counter storage. The new counter top is a speckled AS blue Corian with a double hob gas cook top and a single bowl sink that is large enough to actually hold a pan (instead of 2 small sinks). The original spice rack has been restored and will go back into its place soon. The end of the cabinet (faces sofa) was vinyl clad and is now oak that matches the cabinetry. The new Microwave is a Dometic Microwave/Convection and I think it will work just fine for our needs. The new/old kitchen should function better than originally designed without compromising the original appearance.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Our Classic came with the combo. Have been using it for 3 years and have not used the regular oven once. Had the same thing in our previous motorhome. Great storage place.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #29
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
We boondock so I swapped the convection oven that came in my FC25FB for a propane oven. I have the unit for sale now if interested but live in Oregon.
Sport 16
Duramax/Allison
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Love my gas oven. Instapot, and smokeless grill. On occasion I missed the microwave for popcorn. With full hook up RV facilities they always have a microwave available. Boondocking definitely would miss my oven. I do a lot of pre-cooking at home. And reheat using the stove top and oven. Whenever I make jasmine rice in Instapot I portion it out in Ziploc bags so I can be easily reheated on the stove top in boiling water. Love being anywhere in our Airstream . Good health, good cheer, safe travels to you all. And self quarantine and all the national parks.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Vista , California
Microwave Oven Combo

The oven was removed at the remodel; the added space is really valuable in our 18' Caravel. We use a small Brevel toaster oven when we need one (plugged into the outside outlet). We can even use the Brevel with either our Honda 2000 or 3000 generator. Works great!
Vista Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
North vancouver , BC
I love the oven in our 25ft International. We recently returned from a 6 week excursion. We took a stand alone microwave with us but found it stayed on the floor under the table the whole trip. I second those who say make your Airstream your own. I rarely use my microwave at home so it is not surprising I don’t use it on the road. Much prefer hot air popped popcorn anyway!

As an aside, for those who travel to and from the US, you can’t take meat products, among other things, into the US. Even meat in frozen pasta and pasta sauce is not allowed. I was glad I discovered this before I filled the freezer!
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Per a previous suggestion, I rearranged and put the toaster oven inside the regular oven with an extension cord handy. And also decided to store the oven-use-only pans in there too. Whereupon my husband decided to bake some brownies...oh, well, the reorganization is still working better than the previous.
I still want a two-burner stove, so a complete redo will likely happen at some point
Old 03-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Fascinating to read about the differences; some never use oven, others couldn't imagine camping without it.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #35
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Options For Oven, Microwave

The true answer to the original poster, is the style of camping and cooking that they prefer. With the Honda 2000i, we can use the microwave.

When we purchased our 2009 31 Classic, we went with the burner top with drawers below for storage of silver ware, utility tools, bowls, cups, etc.

We selected the convection combo since we do not cook that much while on a trip.

While traveling on long trips, we normally eat breakfast and supper in the trailer. We will eat out during a regular break or while getting fuel.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Reviving my post because yeah, I still want to replace the gas oven with a convection microwave, and a two-burner stove.

My new question is: where does the new micro/convection oven go? Does it go in the space vacated by the gas oven? Or in the microwave pullout?
We've got a 2019 flying cloud 27fb, for reference.
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #37
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
I actually have a convection oven from our 2019 25' FBT. It was used once and my wife had to have the gas oven. It also has the 3 burner stove top that went with it. I'm willing to let it go really cheap because we're cleaning house and downsizing. I live near Portland, Oregon.
Sport 16
Duramax/Allison
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Engineer, thanks, but currently we are down in Mississippi, with no plans to get up that way this year.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I had a MH it came with a convection oven/microwave.
It burned everything I tried.
I never knew what I had to remove to cook in it. Racks? Glass carousel? So that stuff always ended up on the dinette table since there's no room to store those.
When I decided on an Airstream, I knew I didn't want the microwave at knee level where I couldn't see in it. So I got the oven, which I store bread in, and the microwave in a pull out drawer. So far it's been adequate. I use it for vegetables or TV dinners. Small, but for one it's good.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote